Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pick posted:

oh. oh yeah. absolutely. like i am super surprised that this isn't commonly understood in the context of me, pick.

a day hugh made me upset, or confused, or stressed out, or hurt, or sad, or thinking about killing myself on his porch was better than a day i was just doing my god damned work and tracking calories and folding laundry and all that other poo poo

dont kill yourself, it's against the rules

Caganer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

why do you save my quotes. i don't even think about what i am typing, why do you. why does anyone?

e: haha wow look at that, mmm, savor it. that's great. i'm no avshalom but i am a can of worms for the fish of the internet

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

I don't think anyone has noticed that a trip to Hawaii is just as much a gift to himself as the bowling ball was.

I don't think anyone's saying her giant fit is a good thing. She clearly went off the rails. They might however be saying that you don't get gag gifts unless you are goddamn loving sure of their reception and that the person will get the joke. There is NO good end for a gag gift that your target won't understand or appreciate. Either you make them mad, disappointed, or you get a polite response that you goddamn well know is just a polite response and not an appreciation of the gift... because they clearly don't get the joke.

Put thought into gifts, not just normal gifts but also gag gifts.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
saw this today and thought of u

quote:

My partner works at a hospital. Last week they told me about a cancer case they’d seen that was, in their words, horrifying.

The patient was a woman who had children—she and her husband had two daughters. This woman has had cancer for years. She was on chemo for a while, but stopped doing chemo so that she could have and breastfeed her first daughter, then AGAIN for the second. At this point it’s pretty dire. If she doesn’t keep up with her treatment she doesn’t have long left to live.

Except, her husband wants her taken off her treatments AGAIN, so they can have another kid. Why? He “wants a son of his own.” Apparently getting to raise two daughters isn’t good enough, he NEEDS a little male child running around with his DNA—more than he needs a living wife it seems!

And she might even go along with it. I find the whole thing disgusting and horrifying. If she doesn’t continue her treatments then she might not even live to give birth to this prospective son. But this guy just doesn’t care. According to my partner, as this discussion was going on, they could feel the disgust and rage just...rolling off of every medical professional in the room. Most of their coworkers are married with kids, and they all looked like they just couldn’t believe what they were hearing and were fighting REALLY hard to keep a professional face.

Just...how? How can someone be so obsessed with the idea of having a son that he is willing to let his wife, the mother of his daughters, die? What kind of selfish, shortsighted bullshit is this?

Just...this case was so off-putting my partner had to take a break after hearing it. You get used to seeing and hearing messed up things at hospitals, but how sick do you have to be to demand your wife endanger herself just because two daughters aren’t good enough for you? He would let these kids grow up motherless just because he wants a son, and he’s determined to keep trying until he gets one. What the gently caress.

it's a childfree post

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Dienes posted:

Its not an /r/relationships but its so batshit and on-theme I feel it fits the thread.

You May Have Worn The Prom Dress With Him, But I Get To Wear The Wedding Dress

Dear high school ex-gf of my fiance, I'm so totally not jealous of you. Look at how much I don't care, I'm totally secure, not jealous at all. I don't even think of you.

Poor bastard is going to come home one day to his wife in a faded prom dress, covered in blood.

This just showed up in the funny images thread :

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Mirthless posted:

saw this today and thought of u

it's a childfree post

i don't want kids, but i never use the phrase childfree because i don't like the connotations. i'm more of a sarah silverman style childfree. (my existence is pain and i refuse to pass on this curse)

anyways, here's some content

BF(46m) threatening suicide if I (31f) leave him.

quote:

I've been with him for 6 months. He has become very controlling of me. He picks fights when I go out with girl-friends. I send him pictures and he claims there are other guys in the images. If I don't text or call him every 30 minutes, he becomes angry and turns everything around like it's my fault. I can't take it. Last time I tried to break it off, he tried to commit suicide. He was found by his son and rushed to the hospital. He barely survived it. So he's not bluffing.

I want him out of my life and I told him I was done. He planned to kill himself again. So, I told him I was sorry and stayed with him. I just can't live with the guilt of someone doing this because of me.

How do I dump this guy without living with the fact that I caused him to die. I feel so trapped and I've been in a constant state of anxiety. Having him commited won't work either. It's already been done and it didn't do anything. I'm so desperate to get away from him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Caganer posted:

i don't want kids, but i never use the phrase childfree because i don't like the connotations. i'm more of a sarah silverman style childfree. (my existence is pain and i refuse to pass on this curse)

kill yourself on his porch!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
edit whoops

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pick posted:

i think i told this story before, but i had a gf threaten to kill herself if i dumped her in hs. she also texted pics of her self harm to me which was pretty cutting edge at the time (i had to pay like a dollar a pic to receive them on my motorola razr)

anyways i told her mom and she got help and it came out she'd been being molested by her creepy older neighbor after we broke up.

she told all her friends i dumped her for not putting out and the feminism brigage all hated me the rest of high school

no good deed goes unpunished

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Caganer posted:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

i like to play the hard tough, but if someone is legit "i'll kill myself without you" and it isn't coming off as a manipulation tactic but a cry for help, it's very distressing :smith:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Caganer posted:

i like to play the hard tough, but if someone is legit "i'll kill myself without you" and it isn't coming off as a manipulation tactic but a cry for help, it's very distressing :smith:
Yeah and that's when you help them check into someplace for their mental health or call a wellness check on them, imo, depending on whether or not they're willing to get help. Ofc if they aren't willing to get help a wellness check only does so much but it can at least disrupt immediate plans for suicide long enough for them to reconsider.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

PetraCore posted:

Yeah and that's when you help them check into someplace for their mental health or call a wellness check on them, imo, depending on whether or not they're willing to get help. Ofc if they aren't willing to get help a wellness check only does so much but it can at least disrupt immediate plans for suicide long enough for them to reconsider.

yup, and that's when they twist this into you being an evil person who was pissed they wouldn't gently caress you and get bullied incessantly for years.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Caganer posted:

I imagine being trapped in a relationship with someone who is holding themselves hostage is also distressing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dienes posted:

I imagine being trapped in a relationship with someone who is holding themselves hostage is also distressing.

that sounds like a woman, dienes. there will be no thought of them, here. their feelings. their "feelings".

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Dienes posted:

tbh i dumped her because she was way more insane than me, and also didn't seem to have a good reason for it.

i'd dealt with years of physical abuse and had my best friend die at 9 catcher in the rye style. she... grew up in a rich house and her parents had an amicable divorce :shrug:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
and, uh, was molested

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

and, uh, was molested

common misconception, catcher in the rye guy was not molested. read the book!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Caganer posted:

quote:

Last time I tried to break it off, he tried to commit suicide. He was found by his son and rushed to the hospital. He barely survived it. So he's not bluffing.

:sever: and don't look back.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
when i get close to women, they often tell me i can tell them anything. i think they assume i've been molested or saw something explode in iraq or syria or something. it's more complicated than that, and people hate complicated. if you can't say what broke your brain in under 2 sentences, people will lose interest.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

PetraCore posted:

At least a wellness check will almost always turn into a 72-hr hold with mandatory medication, mandatory therapy, and
continuing counseling about healthcare/insurance/therapy after their release. I had to do that to someone I knew and it helped a lot, even here in bumfuck USA.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Scathach posted:

At least a wellness check will almost always turn into a 72-hr hold with mandatory medication, mandatory therapy, and
continuing counseling about healthcare/insurance/therapy after their release. I had to do that to someone I knew and it helped a lot, even here in bumfuck USA.

or she tells her friends you "violated her confidentiality" to "retaliate for not sleeping with you" and you spend your senior year a social pariah.

i should have let the bitch bleed out

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
haha whoa man, that's something there , that you said

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

haha whoa man, that's something there , that you said

humans are very good at recognizing patterns

once you notice being nice or evil gives the same result, you tend to become much more results oriented

most people are incredibly entitled and don't realize their actions have consequences

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pick posted:

Content ! Found on Facebook,

Help! My Wife Just Had a Baby. How Should I Tell Her I Want an Open Relationship?

quote:

Q. How to ask for an open relationship: I’ve been with my wife for eight years, married for three, and we recently had a baby. I love my wife, and I adore our baby girl, but while I love my wife, I’m not “in love” with her anymore, and I’m no longer attracted to her physically.
Our relationship is more like two roommates who share parenting duties. She is my best friend, and I love her like a sister. I don’t want a divorce. Instead, I want to ask her if I can open the relationship.

Of course if we open it, I’d be happy to let her date as well. How do I gently broach the topic without hurting her feelings? I love her and I want to be happy, and even though I’m no longer attracted to her, I want us to continue to be a family. She knows something is wrong, but I’m not sure how to tell her how I feel. Please help.

A: Oh, dear. I’m not sure the things you want—to inform your wife you’re no longer attracted to her, nor in love with her, that you think of her as a sister, that you’d be totally cool if she decided to get a boyfriend, that you’d like to sleep with other people, and to keep from hurting her feelings—are compatible or even possible.

If you reread your letter, I think you must be aware on some level that you are not on the verge of breaking news of some cool, exciting new opportunity to your wife. You say she “knows something is wrong,” which suggests that she does not “love you like a brother” and has also fallen out of romantic love with you, and that she is not likely to be excited at the prospect of starting an open relationship together. Whatever you ultimately decide to share with her, I think you should be realistic about the odds that your confession will result in a divorce, whether you want it to or not.

The two of you just had a baby—not always the most exciting, sexy time in a relationship—and I’m inclined to think that if you sit on this confession for a little while, you may feel some relief over not rushing to share all of these feelings with her as they arise. That doesn’t mean you two can’t have serious conversations about your goals and your feelings, merely that you don’t have to share every single impulse that’s currently floating around in your head.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Caganer posted:

yup, and that's when they twist this into you being an evil person who was pissed they wouldn't gently caress you and get bullied incessantly for years.
Yeah. That sucks. Dunno what more to say to that.

Scathach posted:

Yup! Someone with severe and untreated mental issues isn't going to suddenly be cured, but interrupting someone's immediate suicidal path and at least making resources available to them can help a lot.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

it's perfectly valid to ask. she can choose to say yes or no. or she can be slut shamey and he can leave her to raise the kid alone to teach her the value of being open minded.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
c'mon cags, i managed to have a good relationship with a mother whose parenting involved taking inspiration from sophie's choice and is still got over it*

*she'd also routinely point out that sophie then continues to be in an abused relationship and allow it, out of grief, but eventually cajoles her abusive husband into murder-suicide or something? i choose not to read into it too much

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

PetraCore posted:

Yup! Someone with severe and untreated mental issues isn't going to suddenly be cured, but interrupting someone's immediate suicidal path and at least making resources available to them can help a lot.

they can examine, give a diagnosis, and try out some meds and observe for a week or two. getting them onto meds and a diagnosis can be hugely important

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

c'mon cags, i managed to have a good relationship with a mother whose parenting involved taking inspiration from sophie's choice and is still got over it*

*she'd also routinely point out that sophie then continues to be in an abused relationship and allow it, out of grief, but eventually cajoles her abusive husband into murder-suicide or something? i choose not to read into it too much
She was covertly floating the idea of a murder suicide at you but then got better.

JK but man you think she'd get the hint that Sophie's choice hosed up Sophie.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pick posted:

ok? not sure how that relates to anything at hand but that's never stopped you from sharing before.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

She was covertly floating the idea of a murder suicide at you but then got better.

JK but man you think she'd get the hint that Sophie's choice hosed up Sophie.

no the sophie's choice part was deciding which of my stuffed animals i would choose to be buuuurned if I was bad

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pick posted:

no the sophie's choice part was deciding which of my stuffed animals i would choose to be buuuurned if I was bad

if you weren't such a bougie consumerist, this would not have been stressful :)

bernie would have won

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the animals were my friends

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Yes.

Blink once if your middle name is Sophie, pick. You're among friends here, sort of. This is a safe place, mostly.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Pick I have some bad news

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pick posted:

the animals were my friends

the things you own end up owning you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

Yes.

Blink once if your middle name is Sophie, pick. You're among friends here, sort of. This is a safe place, mostly.

There are no safe places, you learn to enjoy life by riding the high of being in unsafe situations :lofty:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
that's harsh imo. even JC usually got the choice to take their place