Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

mmg, if you're still reading, can i just issue a formal apology for facetiously saying ukrainians and russians are the same thing? it was a few weeks ago and obviously a joke, but things have kind of changed since then and it's something i wouldn't even joke about now so it's been weighing on my conscience. please forgive me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

mmg, if you're still reading, can i just issue a formal apology for facetiously saying ukrainians and russians are the same thing? it was a few weeks ago and obviously a joke, but things have kind of changed since then and it's something i wouldn't even joke about now so it's been weighing on my conscience. please forgive me!

All good, don't worry :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

has anyone heard from aware? he hasnt posted his cum jar tally in a few days.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/SquizzSTK/status/1500605990156500993

dumb gently caress barnaby didnt even realize the idiot host was giving him an out. if you say something happens once every thousand years and it happen two years in a row people might notice. if you say something have a .1% chance of happening and it happens twice you just smugly say thats how odds work and every idiot who wants to look smart (ie every tv journalist) will agree with you

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Endman posted:

Starting to think the Army isn't a solution to literally every single one of our problems :(

Royal commission into the army when

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

https://twitter.com/SquizzSTK/status/1500605990156500993

dumb gently caress barnaby didnt even realize the idiot host was giving him an out. if you say something happens once every thousand years and it happen two years in a row people might notice. if you say something have a .1% chance of happening and it happens twice you just smugly say thats how odds work and every idiot who wants to look smart (ie every tv journalist) will agree with you

lmao deadass going "no i'm gonna listen to me mate and not the bom"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Holy gently caress

Morrison saying China is basically responsible for continued war on Ukraine by extending economic lifeline to Russia. Calling them an alliance.

We're getting more defence spending. We're getting more cyber monitoring.

We're getting a nuclear sub base on the east coast as well as the west.

This is all really hosed up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

someone should remind scomo and dutton none of the poo poo they have spent all this money on is going to be ready any time soon and to STFU for a little bit.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Laserface posted:

someone should remind scomo and dutton none of the poo poo they have spent all this money on is going to be ready any time soon and to STFU for a little bit.

The only point to any of it is that there is an election in single digit weeks and they are desperate to somehow differentiate from the ALP.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If the war in Ukraine has taught anyone anything it's that instead of freedom snags when we vote there should be freedom javelins and manpads.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Recoome posted:

the military defender logging on or whatever, but the military has been pretty flat out with bushfires and COVID prior to this flood

like it's great that the fed gets to do the "rah rah send the military" but what the gently caress are they supposed to do?

I mean, it's rumoured Caligula declared war on Poseidon and made his soldiers throw their spears at the sea. I suppose they could shoot at the flood waters?

Or they could divy them up and put them under the watchful eye of the SES (do they have that over East) who train to clear up after/during emergencies. Some extra hands to shift poo poo would be useful I imagine.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Man why'd I have to be around for Red Menace and Yellow Peril 2.0

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

MysticalMachineGun posted:

All good, don't worry :)
:unsmith: :h:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Watching “Murder, She Wrote” on Gem and wishing we had got Angela Lansbury as PM instead of her nephew, Malcolm Turnbull. Down to earth pragmatism would have saved this country, and the only cost would be the never ending series of murders in her close proximity.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Watching “Murder, She Wrote” on Gem and wishing we had got Angela Lansbury as PM instead of her nephew, Malcolm Turnbull. Down to earth pragmatism would have saved this country, and the only cost would be the never ending series of murders in her close proximity.

Seeing as she'd be mostly in Canberra, the 'cost' might just be another bonus. Just confine her to Parliament house.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
In response to the floods Scumo says, "Hey I wasn't the one holding the hose!"

Davis had struggled for many years with addiction and had spent previous time in detention. She took her own life in jail on 13 August 2020, just 12 days after her 47th birthday.

ISSUES RAISED
Mental health / cognitive impairment.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cartoon posted:

In response to the floods Scumo says, "Hey I wasn't the one holding the hose!"

Despite having the easiest target ever created for him, instead of attacking Putin, he's still attacking China.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Konomex posted:

I mean, it's rumoured Caligula declared war on Poseidon and made his soldiers throw their spears at the sea. I suppose they could shoot at the flood waters?

Or they could divy them up and put them under the watchful eye of the SES (do they have that over East) who train to clear up after/during emergencies. Some extra hands to shift poo poo would be useful I imagine.

Which is what they have been doing when they aren’t doing a PR shoot. Like what more do people want here?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Recoome posted:

Which is what they have been doing when they aren’t doing a PR shoot. Like what more do people want here?

fix the wheel on the barrow

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We should scale back military spending massively and instead spend it on creating and maintaining a national response service. Things like the SES being majorly volunteer labour is irresponsible.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

starkebn posted:

We should scale back military spending massively and instead spend it on creating and maintaining a national response service. Things like the SES being majorly volunteer labour is irresponsible.
we've had a few incidents that have proved this in scomo's reign alone. the bushfires were the first clue that australia's natural disaster defence plan relies almost entirely on the ses, with the adf and federal funding only ever being an option after the disaster and only if people beg for them. the ses did an incredible job with the bushfires and they're doing an incredible job with the floods, with the resources they have. i think they've got a reduced manpower pool this time around - a lot of their volunteers would have quit or retired due to the trauma of the fires, others would be unavailable due to ongoing plague concerns, and a good portion of those still remaining got flooded out themselves. that they've done so much already with next to zero support from the government is amazing. but it shouldn't have to be like this.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

are the army still in the nursing homes? i wonder how that went.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-07/queensland-flood-warning-project-not-funded-by-government/100887832

lol the feds refused to fund a ton of high priority disaster mitigation projects that the states wanted, including a major upgrade to queensland's early flood warning systems

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...survey-suggests

and even going on about national security isn't polling well for the government - usually that's a clear advantage for the coalition over labor in these sorts of polls so lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i have 4 billion dollars set aside in an emergency response fund. i can say i am investing 4 billion dollars in emergency response. if i spent the dang money, i wouldnt have the fund anymore would i? idiots

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i have 4 billion dollars set aside in an emergency response fund. i can say i am investing 4 billion dollars in emergency response. if i spent the dang money, i wouldnt have the fund anymore would i? idiots

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Remember that scene in The Castle?

https://twitter.com/Rus_Emb_Ireland/status/1500889880611770376

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

we've had a few incidents that have proved this in scomo's reign alone. the bushfires were the first clue that australia's natural disaster defence plan relies almost entirely on the ses, with the adf and federal funding only ever being an option after the disaster and only if people beg for them. the ses did an incredible job with the bushfires and they're doing an incredible job with the floods, with the resources they have. i think they've got a reduced manpower pool this time around - a lot of their volunteers would have quit or retired due to the trauma of the fires, others would be unavailable due to ongoing plague concerns, and a good portion of those still remaining got flooded out themselves. that they've done so much already with next to zero support from the government is amazing. but it shouldn't have to be like this.

Just to clarify - SES is the flood/storm/earthquake/tsunami control agency and only plays a supporting role to the relevant fire agencies in each sate (eg CFA/RFS). Both agencies play a significant role in the road crash rescue area.

Not to say your general point isn't correct though - emergency services should be subject to increased funding. I also don't think volunteer emergency services should exist, and I say that as a Vic SES volunteer.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Periphery posted:

Just to clarify - SES is the flood/storm/earthquake/tsunami control agency and only plays a supporting role to the relevant fire agencies in each sate (eg CFA/RFS). Both agencies play a significant role in the road crash rescue area.
oh poo poo i'm an idiot again, thanks for clarifying lol

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

starkebn posted:

The first part is absolutely true, and I think it could be largely targeted at school leavers too - great way to meet people and learn skills and contribute to the community.

But as to the second point - there is a lot to be said for volunteer labour that shouldn't be so quickly written off. When you're doing something for love rather than money it fundamentally changes the nature of the job and can deliver good results, and it vastly increases the pool you can call upon in times of need, which is /was important when incidents are sporadic.

I think most units are fairly well funded, but could probably do with more, and yeah maybe the government could absolutely make it easier to get time off work, for example.

Did we work out what was happening with the SES response in the Northern Rivers? Are they just literally completely overwhelmed? It's disappointing the cookers have been given a chance to say "Well where's the government now", but they do seem to have a point. And has the ADF done anything useful yet?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Let's check in with the press and see how International Women's Day is going:

https://twitter.com/bmusedbystandr/status/1500945717149331457?s=20&t=PZ06HWxvjdFQ4thZnDNzIg

Hmm

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/SenatorMcGrath/status/1500974901787721728

its the freakin genders! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1501045065493676033

the constant calls to mobilize the adf for natural disasters shows people have a very different understanding of what the governments priorities should be than the government itself

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/IH8SHOKJOKS/status/1501048693843054593

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
At least we can use Town Hall station as a submarine base now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/SenatorMcGrath/status/1500974901787721728

its the freakin genders! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1501045065493676033

the constant calls to mobilize the adf for natural disasters shows people have a very different understanding of what the governments priorities should be than the government itself

People shocked to discover ARE DIGGERS are in fact not that good or useful.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Did I nap through a time period where Albo was Defense Minister and cut the military budget

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Seemlar posted:

Did I nap through a time period where Albo was Defense Minister and cut the military budget

What makes you think that other people keep track of this poo poo either?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I think there's a lot to be said for expanding the SES army reserve style. You do not need a standing emergency relief force. But having a large force of trained semi-professionals ready to swing into service has to be more useful than asking the ADF to pitch in on everything.

All the benefits of a volunteer force with the draw of a paid group. A few weekends a year, training once a week/fortnight. A week or two of concerted training once a year. I seem to remember radio ops was the least trained position, but most wanted, at least in my local branch. Train up a large pool of people and when the poo poo does hit the fan, you've got a lot of hands ready to help who know what to do.

Also, Queensland angry at LNP for not funding their flood prevention systems. How will this effect the election?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FFS, he thinks the ukulele is somehow a vote winner, doesn't he?

A natural disaster is not the time for "daggy dad".

Seemlar posted:

He was briefly Deputy PM - in 2013 and before that was leader of the House.

Now, let's just check google to see which party has been in power for the last decade <typing noises> Oh.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Megillah Gorilla posted:

FFS, he thinks the ukulele is somehow a vote winner, doesn't he?

A natural disaster is not the time for "daggy dad".

No way, this has to be ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
:rolleye: