Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/900714982823821313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I see he is laser focused on tax reform

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

CascadeBeta posted:

Donald Trump legitimately makes me hope that there's an afterlife, and that his personal hell is being reminded of how much of a failure he is for all of eternity.

Welp, that's my story.

You're really not going to like some new trends of thought in certain denominations which have decided that Hell is really just willfully choosing to not be one with God in the afterlife. Lake of fire? Nope. Think self-imposed time out until your soul gets right with the LORD.

Maybe they'll make an exception.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Eeyo posted:

I don't get the eclipse tweet. Doesn't that imply that Obama is the sun, or in other words a hugely impressive ball of nuclear fusion that gives us all our energy and traps us gravitationally? Whereas Trump is the moon, a small rock that formed from a collision of a bigger rock on the earth. Also this means Trump is slowly moving outwards in his orbit from the earth.

Makes sense.

Something something black guy, I'm white. White power.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Can't find the original post where they linked this article but it really is a pro-click:

https://thebaffler.com/latest/the-p...campaign=buffer

quote:

To understand Trump is also to understand his appeal as an aspirational brand to the worst people in the United States. What his intransigent admirers like most about him—the thing they aspire to, in their online cosplay sessions and their desperately thirsty performances for a media they loathe and to which they are so helplessly addicted—is his freedom to be unconcerned with anything but himself. This is not because he is rich or brave or astute; it’s because he is an rear end in a top hat, and so authentically unconcerned. The howling and unreflective void at his core will keep him lonely and stupid until the moment a sufficient number of his vital organs finally resign in disgrace, but it liberates him to devote every bit of his being to his pursuit of himself. Actual hate and actual love, as other people feel them, are too complicated to fit into this world. In their place, for Trump and for the people who see in him a way of being that they are too busy or burdened or humane to pursue, are the versions that exist in a lower orbit, around the self. Instead of hate, there is simple resentment—abject and valueless and recursively self-pitying; instead of love, there is the blank sucking nullity of vanity and appetite.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Red Baron posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that the people getting roasted the most (spacekin, helicopterkin, the one where you're actually a god, though that at least has some loose philosophical underpinnings...) are the smallest minority of people who actually have -kin stuff as part of their core identity. I think that's weird in the sense that, no, you are definitely not part wolf, but they should be able to have that if it helps them understand who they are. It's not hurting anyone, and those people tend to not be raving lunatics.

Weirdo crazy people identities are fun to make fun of but it's really obvious they end up being baby's first training wheels sometimes towards attacking other sorts of perceived "deviants" and they get gross in the way people use the really dumb stuff that barely even exists as ammo to stir it in with more legitimate stuff. Like the way the post put spacekin, which is not a genuinely felt identity that more than like maybe 4 people hold with stuff like gender fluid which is a generally accepted real thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What a lovely limbo we're in right now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

No, Donny, YOU failed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Your Taint posted:

No, Donny, YOU failed.

Can't sign bill if not on desk. Sad!

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Pen in hand! Why no bill?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I know it's like 90% of what somethingawful is built on but it always feels weird when people go off on stuff like "spacekin" or people that think they are attack helicopters or whatever, like it's a demographic with a couple dozen people who are either joking, mentally ill or talking about some real feeling in their life that they are explaining poorly in a way that makes them seem weird. Like it IS funny, but I always vaguely assume that people that have beefs with "tumblr people" teens and their half hearted nonsense identities at 30 are going to be the people that are super angry when they are 60 about some real thing that teens are actually doing that is actually real.

The internet has changed and so has the country.

Ten years ago making fun of furries was relatively harmless "holy poo poo, people on the internet are weird".

Today singling someone out like that is nigh-literally painting a target on their back.

Javes
May 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/900709277140168705

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wasn't there someone filing a lawsuit in federal court that Trump deleting tweets is illegal under the Presidential Records Act?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Eeyo posted:

I don't get the eclipse tweet. Doesn't that imply that Obama is the sun, or in other words a hugely impressive ball of nuclear fusion that gives us all our energy and traps us gravitationally? Whereas Trump is the moon, a small rock that formed from a collision of a bigger rock on the earth. Also this means Trump is slowly moving outwards in his orbit from the earth.

Makes sense.

It would also mean that Trump's prominence is only a passing event, notable mainly for its novelty with no real lasting effects, and shortly Obama will return to beam down on us all for several more years, providing the energy the planet needs to support all life.

So no, I don't think they thought about it for even a second.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CascadeBeta posted:

Donald Trump legitimately makes me hope that there's an afterlife, and that his personal hell is being reminded of how much of a failure he is for all of eternity.

Welp, that's my story.
With a bit if luck he will survive to see a few Presidential rankings, with Obama always way above him. And there will be these events they invite all the living ex presidents to, and he'll always be te weirdo outsider. That's probably about the worst thing he will ever experience.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Weirdo crazy people identities are fun to make fun of but it's really obvious they end up being baby's first training wheels sometimes towards attacking other sorts of perceived "deviants" and they get gross in the way people use the really dumb stuff that barely even exists as ammo to stir it in with more legitimate stuff. Like the way the post put spacekin, which is not a genuinely felt identity that more than like maybe 4 people hold with stuff like gender fluid which is a generally accepted real thing.

Completely fair. I do think there's virtue in some ridicule, however. Take Fictionkin, for example. This is one that I know encompasses more than a handful of people, but which I find inherently preposterous. If you identify strongly with a fictional character to the point where you believe you actually were that character some ridicule of your position might be helpful in pointing out that by definition fictitious things are made up. On the other side of that coin, nearly everyone in the world has identified with a fictional character. I think the majority of us take a look at why we identified with them and what that tells us about ourselves.

If you use kin types to uncover greater personal truths then go to town. If you choose the "No, I was Geralt of Rivia in a prior life" hill on which to die, I'm going to suggest that a healthy level of ridicule from other people is appropriate and healthy.

Now, how often the internet can be said to maintain a "healthy level" of anything is probably a similar number to "number of times I will win the lottery jackpot this year" but that's a different discussion. I will say that anonymous dogpiling is not productive, and definitely is just us patting ourselves on our backs for laughing at the silly people. Wherever possible, I've tried to engage people with beliefs I found strange in a non-anonymous way instead of taking their posts to another site for some internet points. At least this way if I decide to get snarky with them, they know who to address in reply.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Say the words "Donald J. Trump Presidential Library" and tell me how awful the taste is.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cingulate posted:

With a bit if luck he will survive to see a few Presidential rankings, with Obama always way above him. And there will be these events they invite all the living ex presidents to, and he'll always be te weirdo outsider. That's probably about the worst thing he will ever experience.

I kind of hope he doesn't. Instead he can go hang out with Andrew Jackson in the fiery pits of damnation.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The internet has changed and so has the country.

Ten years ago making fun of furries was relatively harmless "holy poo poo, people on the internet are weird".

Today singling someone out like that is nigh-literally painting a target on their back.

Yeah, furries are still super weird and that is funny, but stuff like the early 2000s nazi imagery somethingawful did around furries kinda played out the way a lot of forums did, where it's super odvious that it was like 75% people playing along in a "this is so hyperbolic the joke is how silly this is" and 25% "yeah, I like this nazi stuff, lets make 4chan"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Drone posted:

Wasn't there someone filing a lawsuit in federal court that Trump deleting tweets is illegal under the Presidential Records Act?

Yeah, but so many illegal things are going unchecked that this doesn't even register at the moment.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Am I Covoking for really being worried about the debt ceiling now? Like, "start hoarding cash and canned goods"-style Covok/Arzying?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Drone posted:

Say the words "Donald J. Trump Presidential Library" and tell me how awful the taste is.

All there would be is a few signed copies of "The Art of the Deal" and a large map of the electoral victory on the wall.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Am I Covoking for really being worried about the debt ceiling now? Like, "start hoarding cash and canned goods"-style Covok/Arzying?

If the U.S. defaults there is nothing you or I or anyone else can do to stop it or to mitigate the disastrous consequences, so worrying is pointless.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Drone posted:

It'll be three jumbo TV screens. In the middle, a scrolling feed of all his tweets. To either side, piss tape and impeachment proceedings on loop.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, but so many illegal things are going unchecked that this doesn't even register at the moment.

Eh if we're lucky someone on Team Mueller is keeping score of the little stuff like this.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

rkajdi posted:

The only one even thinking about it is Trump, and the more he tries to make it a thing the more likely the GOP, wishing to stay employed is suddenly going to find Obama's counsel on the subject wise, as absurd as that may seem.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Cingulate posted:

I'm personally hoping that his terrible diet gives him a terrible case of diverticulitis requiring a partial colectomy and diverting colostomy, so that as he regularly peels off the bags and dumps out the malodorous, liquid poo poo, the expulsion of which over which he has no concsious control, he can reflect on the fact that the process basically is a physical manifestation of his tweeting habits.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

rkajdi posted:

Start shopping around for shoulder pads too.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Holy loving poo poo, Jim.

Jim...

Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim... I'm loving dead.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

rkajdi posted:

I don't know, I'm not really worried about any of that poo poo.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I would imagine defaulting would do a serious number on the dollar so hoarding currency seems just as ineffective as leaving your money in the bank.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pellisworth posted:

It'll be three jumbo TV screens. In the middle, a scrolling feed of all his tweets. To either side, piss tape and impeachment proceedings on loop.
I was going to say just Apprentice episodes on infinite loop

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm personally hoping that his terrible diet gives him a terrible case of diverticulitis requiring a partial colectomy and diverting colostomy, so that as he regularly peels off the bags and dumps out the malodorous, liquid poo poo, the expulsion of which over which he has no concsious control, he can reflect on the fact that the process basically is a physical manifestation of his tweeting habits.

OK, but only if he rehires Sean Spicer as the Groom of the Stool.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol at retweeting that obama eclipse and all these complaints, this is beyond desperate

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:drat:

This tweet not getting the attention it deserves.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The debt ceiling debate will go like all of them have so far, both sides will blame it on the other, the government will probably shut down for a week while people tell Congress to get their poo poo together, and then the ceiling will eventually be raised.

Apparently the Republicans think that raising it is good now so lol

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oxxidation posted:

If the U.S. defaults there is nothing you or I or anyone else can do about it, so worrying is pointless.

You personally can get stuff ready for it though, like having actual cash instead of a number in a bank. Or am I being hyperbolic and just worrying way too much about things?

RuanGacho posted:

The only one even thinking about it is Trump, and the more he tries to make it a thing the more likely the GOP, wishing to stay employed is suddenly going to find Obama's counsel on the subject wise, as absurd as that may seem.

So this is Trump just playing out his stupid fight with Congressional Republicans? Honestly, as long as he's willing to sign the bill when it gets to him I'm fine with it. Well, that and the GOP being smart enough to pass a debt ceiling extension instead of talking about household income bullshit.

I mean, it's obvious to me now that we're having another government shutdown this year. I just want it to now be timed with a massive, synchronized global depression. I can handle unemployment or being off work for awhile, I just get mortified at the whole international system coming tumbling down right as we're getting a disgusting rise in ethno-nationalism around the world.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This is two funny.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Trump is fat and probably upset that he is fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Drone posted:

I'm sure they're getting logged somewhere on some government computer. It's trivial to script something like that.

But there is a lawsuit about Trump blocking people, as it is denying specific people from petitioning the government in a public forum based on their speech.

• Locked thread