Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Trying to limit myself to Lone Wolf & Cub and Pan'S Labyrinth this time around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Just a reminder, the BN sale starts 11/1 and runs till 11/28.

I specifically passed on the most recent flash sale because I've had a $50 B&N gift card since August. Gonna be a real nice haul.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Origami Dali posted:

Just a reminder, the BN sale starts 11/1 and runs till 11/28.

Hell yeah, Lone Wolf and Cub will be mine.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I usually buy one favorite film, a film I haven't seen from a favorite filmmaker, one surprise, and one upgrade (from DVD or lesser Blu).

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Raxivace posted:

It appears I'm not as good at dad jokes as I thought... :smith:

D'oh!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I've got Lone Wolf And Cub coming in through the Amazon gently caress up. I'm thinking of picking up Fear and Loathing, but that one's just always there, so I'm not really in a hurry to get it. I think I'll get The Killing. Can't have enough Kubrick.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Eagerly anticipating picking up Dekalog. Anyone else have it yet? Kieslowski is amazing.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Eagerly anticipating picking up Dekalog. Anyone else have it yet? Kieslowski is amazing.

yeah, it's real good. I didn't think Keislowski could do any better than the Three Colors Trilogy, but, guess what, he did.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've only seen the Three Colors Trilogy, but I've enjoyed them. White is probably my favorite because I wasn't expecting it to be so funny.

Veronique and Blind Chance both worth a blind buy?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I've only seen the Three Colors Trilogy, but I've enjoyed them. White is probably my favorite because I wasn't expecting it to be so funny.

Veronique and Blind Chance both worth a blind buy?

Yes

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Veronique has one of the most wonderful audio commentaries I've heard thus far.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My Criterion order from the flash sale got lost in the mail :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

How do you know that for sure? Could it just be slow?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

How do you know that for sure? Could it just be slow?

It was supposed to get delivered the 20th, and the tracking says it has been delivered. But I definitely don't have a copy of Rashomon so it hasn't arrived. I filed a missing mail request with USPS and notified Criterion. I just didn't realize it was missing until last night because I thought it was coming slow due to the flash sale demand or something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MacheteZombie posted:

Sup lost package buddy. Mine got straight up stolen since I found the (empty) box a few days later. :(

Criterion support is really good though, and they're sending another one my way. Hopefully it doesn't get stolen this time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Sup lost package buddy. Mine got straight up stolen since I found the (empty) box a few days later. :(

Criterion support is really good though, and they're sending another one my way. Hopefully it doesn't get stolen this time.

I haven't heard from Criterion yet, but kind of hoping for this because I have no faith that USPS will be able to find my package.

on that note, the site told me to email orders@criterion, is that what you did?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What is everyone's favorite type of supplement? Mine is hands down commentary tracks by film scholars or really good critics like Bogdanovich. Maybe other folks are more into the video interviews or video essays?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

blue squares posted:

What is everyone's favorite type of supplement? Mine is hands down commentary tracks by film scholars or really good critics like Bogdanovich. Maybe other folks are more into the video interviews or video essays?

The books are usually my favorite supplementals. I read almost all of them. Then spout the info back to my friends when we pop one in for movie night.

Repo Man was particularly fun that way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

Documentaries, short films, etc. Some of my faves:

-Fellini: A Director's Notebook, full length documentary included with 8 1/2
-Fear on Film round table from 1980 with David Cronenberg, John Landis, and John Carpenter included with Videodrome
-early short films by the directors included with House and Valerie & Her Week of Wonders
-the short documentary Sunday about the Greenwich Village folk scene included with Inside Llewyn Davis

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

blue squares posted:

Same here. When I'm considering buying a blu-ray, a good audio commentary is often my deciding factor. Especially with a film I've already seen. I tend to buy a blu-ray and just put it on my shelf, but a good commentary gives me a reason to pop it in and re-watch it immediately.

Also feature length making-of documentaries.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Commentaries and substantive documentaries are usually the difference when I decide to buy something.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i like when they throw in an entire other ffffffuckin feature length movie, like with the Killing or Slacker or Scanners

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I love the pieces on locations and effects. Most of the Lloyd and Chaplin films have them.

Alternate cuts are good too. The roadshow cut of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is great if just for the commentary, as is the Charles Laughton Directs doc on The Night of the Hunter. Same thing for the four extra cuts in the Tati set.

Extra films like Killer's Kiss on The Killing, Orson Welles: One Man Band on F for Fake, and the shorts on the Lloyd releases.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rusty Staub posted:

i like when they throw in an entire other ffffffuckin feature length movie, like with the Killing or Slacker or Scanners

Yeah, this is crazy good. House of Wax is a great one.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's another one I love: alternate scores for silent films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

blue squares posted:

Definitely early short films or smaller feature films, or other work by the creator. The Five Minute Films that come with Life is Sweet are great. It's part of why I'm disappointed with the Heart of a Dog release being so slim, Laurie Anderson's got decades of amazing stuff but none of it's there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, this is crazy good. House of Wax is a great one.
There's a Criterion for House of Wax?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Raxivace posted:

There's a Criterion for House of Wax?

No. Didn't think the question pertained exclusively to Criterion.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MacheteZombie posted:

on that note, the site told me to email orders@criterion, is that what you did?

Yup. They're not the quickest (it took ~24 hours for my response and each subsequent back and forth), but the rep I had was really nice and accommodating.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
That really early Linklater movie they include with Slacker might actually be my favorite Linklater, God knows why.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
House had a lot of really cool documentaries on it.

Also I will always give credit to the clerks 10 year anniversary DVD because hat thing had like 3 feature length documentaries on it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Documentaries that are more than talking heads, commentaries by the director and short films. My least favorite are really dry commentaries and tangentially related videos that criterion was able to license.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, documentaries that are just people sitting in studios or in their houses with three-point lighting really turn me off.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The types of interviews/docs/commentaries that I find least appealing are where the person rambles on about how and when they met so and so and how amazing it was to work with them. Interpersonal poo poo about people I don't care about. This is usually actors.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
On the other hand, the right person can make any dry talking head interesting, such as Ingmar Bergman. Dude had hell of marriages and was a terrible father.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

The types of interviews/docs/commentaries that I find least appealing are where the person rambles on about how and when they met so and so and how amazing it was to work with them. Interpersonal poo poo about people I don't care about. This is usually actors.

I've never watched a single interview with a cast member.

This morning I watched Hidden Fortress and WOW! So much fun. Every Kurosawa movie I watch becomes my new favorite, at least for a week or so. He is definitely my favorite director outside the States.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

blue squares posted:

I've never watched a single interview with a cast member.

At best they're witty and incisive and interesting, but the worst ones are like:

[bland story about the director doing something vaguely noteworthy]
[discussion about generic acting methods]
[story about someone recognizing them on the street]
[boring praise]

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

Hands down the scholar commentaries. Best one I've ever heard is by Stephen Prince for Straw Dogs. Completely changed how I saw the film and in a good way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spatulater bro! posted:

What if thats the whole film like Burden of Dreams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

blue squares posted:

I like before/after restoration clips showing how they restored a film from tatters into something that looks pristine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AMSHs2adWk

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's due. The Facets DVDs I've watched are VHS quality at best.