Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Is Adomian's Bernie character still just him saying percent a lot or has he evolved it beyond that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Haha immediately a cum on the face joke. This is going to be a good one.

Maybe it is that kind of show...

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I listen to this podcast for comedy, not politics.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Midnightghoul posted:

I listen to this podcast for comedy, not politics.

Same except opposite

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I love how funny Gilbert Gottfried thinks everything is

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Parallax posted:

Is Adomian's Bernie character still just him saying percent a lot or has he evolved it beyond that

He's more focused on just being the un-Trump, he's unsuccessful and mostly asexual.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I thought that Adomian was the weak link, really. Maybe Sanders is just a boring guy to parody? Atamanuik was hilarious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gilbert Gottfried's "Dirty Jokes" has my all time favourite offensive joke on it, and you'll know instantly which one it is if you've heard the record. It's the kind of joke that if you recite when people say "Who has a good offensive gag?", you take the bar so much lower than they were anticipating and might lose friends. But it's not worth repeating because only he has the delivery to do it justice.

Two lines long, 4 slurs/swearwords and offends pretty much everyone in the room. Amazing.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Parallax posted:

You'll be happy to know that percentage-based humor is down 90%, and has been redistributed to other parts of his act

cams
Mar 28, 2003

gilbert gottfried is responsible for one of my favorite things done in the name of comedy ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWbq5GHXPhA

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Lmao someone needs to tell Andy Samberg that Gilbert Gottfriend called him a schvartze, basically the Yiddish n-word.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Adomian's Bernie was not that great, imho; not a fault of him but there just isn't much to go on as Bernie's just an old angry dude with an interesting voice and doesn't do much outrageous stuff (Adomian's Bernie voice isn't even that great either, actually..). Atamanuik's Trump, on the other hand, was fantastic as there's obviously there's plenty of material to use. Gilbert by himself was a bit out of place I thought (his blunt rape jokes were a bit much for this podcast), but having him hanging out with the rest of the guests was fantastic.

Well there's my two cents!

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 5, 2016

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Adomian's Bernie was not that great, imho; not a fault of him but there just isn't much to go on as Bernie's just an old angry dude with an interesting voice and doesn't do much outrageous stuff (Adomian's Bernie voice isn't even that great either, actually..).

Isn't it great that he threw a hissy fit over not being asked to do it on SNL?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah after hearing him here, it makes that whole thing even more dumb. Larry David is a naturally angry man who looks and sounds like Bernie and is around the same age and is 1000% more recognizable to the general public than an indie comic and who wrote for SNL at one point...was it even really a choice?

Edit: Adomian's Bernie sounds like a New Yorker who is partially submerged.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 5, 2016

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Gilbert Gottfried's "Dirty Jokes" has my all time favourite offensive joke on it, and you'll know instantly which one it is if you've heard the record. It's the kind of joke that if you recite when people say "Who has a good offensive gag?", you take the bar so much lower than they were anticipating and might lose friends. But it's not worth repeating because only he has the delivery to do it justice.

Two lines long, 4 slurs/swearwords and offends pretty much everyone in the room. Amazing.

I know exactly the joke you're talking about.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Tell us what the joke is.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Isn't it great that he threw a hissy fit over not being asked to do it on SNL?

I feel like Adomian is close to a meltdown. On twitter a couple weeks ago he was getting furious with an AV Club writer for... not including him in Podmass or something? He also told a fan he doesn't really do podcasts anymore because nobody bought his album or bought tickets to his show.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tnimark posted:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

tnimark posted:

How do you get a human being to gently caress a woman? Fill her oval office up with poo poo!

Tried to find video as his delivery adds to it, but no dice.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah after hearing him here, it makes that whole thing even more dumb. Larry David is a naturally angry man who looks and sounds like Bernie and is around the same age and is 1000% more recognizable to the general public than an indie comic and who wrote for SNL at one point...was it even really a choice?

It's actually super duper good, this just wasn't a particularly good format for it. Bernie v. Trump is amazing.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I feel like Adomian is close to a meltdown. On twitter a couple weeks ago he was getting furious with an AV Club writer for... not including him in Podmass or something? He also told a fan he doesn't really do podcasts anymore because nobody bought his album or bought tickets to his show.

Adomian is right to feel unappreciated by mainstream podcast and comedy discourse. See: the hapless posters who don't like his Bernie impression.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Adomian has jokes and improv, David was reading a lovely SNL script. There is a clear difference.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

UP AND ADAM posted:

Adomian has jokes and improv, David was reading a lovely SNL script. There is a clear difference.

Adomian is a smaller, more indie-ish comedian and SNL is a national institution not looking for a perfect imitation. There is a clear difference. (Also Adomian still wasn't that funny on this appearance.)

Periodiko posted:

It's actually super duper good, this just wasn't a particularly good format for it. Bernie v. Trump is amazing.

I'll have to hope so, he didn't bring much to this episode. I really like his other characters but this one fell flat for me.

Edit: much like in real life, you just can't Stump the Trump.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 5, 2016

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

We all love impressions on podcasts, like Garry Marshall, Cake Boss, Dabney Coleperson et al because of the verisimilitude, so clearly Adomian should be on SNL if they're going to have anyone at all do Bernie.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I died at the Contra bit. Holy poo poo. I was cackling.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Enjoy watching SNL fellow millenials

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I thought James Adomian's Bernie was spot on, especially here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRAonpLeQg
The old fart on the SNL debate wasn't that good imo, he looked the part and can talk loudly but sounded nothing like him.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I died at the Contra bit. Holy poo poo. I was cackling.
same
I'm sorry, who's this black guy robbing the oval office?

Omglosser fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 5, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

from this great piece with ben schwartz interviewing paul f tompkins http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/ben-schwartz-talks-to-paul-f-tompkins.html

SUPER DUPER COMEDY BANG BANG SPOILERS

I will say, in the future, there is another Solo Bolo coming out, entitled “Solo Bolo Trio" – "Solo Bolo Trolo” – and I don’t want to say that we do, but there is a chance that there is a Hamilton tune or two sung. Because Scott and I went and saw Hamilton together in New York.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Tom Leykis, Jesse Ventura, and Bernie Sanders are on the latest Sklarbro Country.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

manyak posted:

I love how funny Gilbert Gottfried thinks everything is

I love Gilbert's encyclopedic knowledge of African American sitcoms, which gave us Trump's "He was a big old nerd." For some reason, the way he said that sent me into a fit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Tried to find video as his delivery adds to it, but no dice.

Same. It's the delivery, then that moment of shocked silence before the reaction. I don't think even the insult comic guys could get away with this one, but Gilbert has that knack.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
I always heard the punchline to that joke as take a poo poo in her oval office. Which I always thought sounded better/worse.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Gilbert laughs like he's in that scene from Final Fantasy X.

And yet despite how fake and forced his HAH! HAH! HAH! sounds, he did sound like he was having a legit fun time. It was confusing.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Gilbert laughs like he's in that scene from Final Fantasy X.

And yet despite how fake and forced his HAH! HAH! HAH! sounds, he did sound like he was having a legit fun time. It was confusing.

I noticed that too, but every sound that comes out of his mouth is part of an act so it didn't bother me as much as it usually would have. Aukerman can have a pretty forced laugh sometimes too, his actual lmao laugh is really wheezy so when he does a hammed up "HA HA HA" lol to keep a bit going sometimes it gets me out of the zone.

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 6, 2016

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I don't know about you all but I found this episode a delight. Having a guy like Gotfried in a weird way forced everyone else to adapt and I also liked his random stories. I give this episode a C+

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Kings Of Calabria posted:

I noticed that too, but every sound that comes out of his mouth is part of an act
Holy poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdbElWMnkyY&t=75s
(set to start at 1:15)

I had no idea.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Speaking of Gilbert's offensive jokes and the Bob Saget roast, I remember there was a joke he told there and I was wondering if anyone knew how it ends because it seemed like Comedy Central edited the ending off (even in the uncut version) and cut to scenes of people in the crowd laughing. It goes something like this: "The bartender asks, 'how do you make a bloody rear end in a top hat?'(or something to that effect) And she(an Olsen twin) says (something about a receiving a drink from Bob Saget) and you wake up lying face-down" and it cuts off there to people laughing, but it seemed like there was more to it! Can't find it on YT

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

VagueRant posted:

Holy poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdbElWMnkyY&t=75s
(set to start at 1:15)

I had no idea.

Wait, was Gilbert in studio during that clip? I would've thought he wouldn't go along with being that transparent about his schtick.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Omglosser posted:

Speaking of Gilbert's offensive jokes and the Bob Saget roast, I remember there was a joke he told there and I was wondering if anyone knew how it ends because it seemed like Comedy Central edited the ending off (even in the uncut version) and cut to scenes of people in the crowd laughing. It goes something like this: "The bartender asks, 'how do you make a bloody rear end in a top hat?'(or something to that effect) And she(an Olsen twin) says (something about a receiving a drink from Bob Saget) and you wake up lying face-down" and it cuts off there to people laughing, but it seemed like there was more to it! Can't find it on YT

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f53cf38182/the-olsen-twins-walk-into-a-bar-from-jccizzle79
? I'm not sure why you think there's more to it than that; he's probably just waiting out the laugh.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

gimme dat pill

watching the super bowl and actually seeing a commercial for that show has finally made me realize the absurdity of its existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Haha I saw that commercial too and I almost said "I want that pill!" out loud but remembered that none of my family would get it. So I just chuckled pathetically to myself