Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
im the dick-shaped alien complete with censor bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rangpur posted:

No. She is caressing the edge of the phone with her lips, in a manner that will invariably be described as 'coquettish.'

It's a Yoko Taro game. She might be eating her phone.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
: Alright kid, you're coming up on the final act of these events in this world of rip-and-tear we call home. I want to see your biggest, baddest kill face.

: Oh, okay. You mean like... this?

: Holy poo poo kid, no. Just... just no. You know, between that and insisting everyone call you 'Nines' I'm starting to understand why this world has gone to bigger, worse poo poo since I cacked it. Look, let me just show you how it's done, then you try, alright?

...Alright?

: First, you gotta just kinda... picture the whole loving world drowning in blood. Everyone who's ever pissed you off, egged you on, or whatever. Now picture all those people strung up by their feet, their throats cut, bleeding out like butchered farm animals for meat. And finally - it's you. You did it. You killed all those loving people and everything that's ever pissed you off is dead. Only, the killing isn't done yet. It's never done. So you just get all those feelings up and...

: WHAT THE gently caress. Holy loving poo poo that's terrifying! I don't think I can do that!

: Sure you can, kid, sure you can. Here, let me just get this blindfold off you and...

: Not bad, kid. Not bad. Now you're ready to face the world going to hell. You could do with less whining, though.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 15, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And so, 9S won the greatest prize of all. Oblivion! Because his futile existence had no meaning.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Maybe we're being too harsh on the machine network. I mean, it probably remembers from Adam how much 9S wants to **** 2B, and it is going out of its way to give Nines every opportunity it can to do so. At this point, 9S just seems unappreciative, if anything.

Actually, the network has been nothing but friendly and welcoming in every interaction it's had with 9S. It knows he's upset about losing 2B, so it keeps bringing her back for him to ****, tries to hook him and A2 up, and even found 21B wandering around the wilderness and set up a reunion between her and 9S. Nines is just being a jerk

Underrated post.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
All I want out of the next Yoko Taro game is for him to incorporate the dating sim genre.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think if you asked YT to write a dating sim you'd pretty much get back Doki Doki Literature Club.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

:perfect:

Sindai posted:

I think if you asked YT to write a dating sim you'd pretty much get back Doki Doki Literature Club.

As someone who was part of that LP thread I can confirm that the :yokotaro: emoticon was rightfully thrown around quite a bit, yes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I have to admit, the 'it can't get any worse'/'you haven't seen anything yet' dance is getting a bit tiresome. It's also getting a bit worrisome, no pun intended. I mean, at some point, if things don't stop getting worse, it goes from 'wow, Yoko Taro knows how to wring every last drop of tragedy out of a story' to 'wow, Yoko Taro knows how to write a story that only a psychopath could read without becoming suicidally depressed'. I'm not expecting any variety of happy ending at this point, but I hope the 'true' ending doesn't wind up being 'you know how in Nier you had to erase the protagonist from existence? You're going to have to go a bit further this time.'

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Judge the story for yourself, not through the lens of goons

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

I have to admit, the 'it can't get any worse'/'you haven't seen anything yet' dance is getting a bit tiresome.

This is a fair criticism to make when the game is viewed under the LP lens. Each bad occurrence is spaced out, giving people time to process and mull over each one, so the trauma conga feels a lot more drawn out. In-game though, it doesn't feel like that because poo poo is happening so fast. Even if you take your time to finish up side stuff, it's still done at your own pace instead of the pace at which the LP creator posts, so things don't feel forced on you, if that makes sense.

And yeah, goons exacerbate things, which is part of the fun of the thread but obviously wouldn't be a factor when playing the game.

alexminor
Feb 22, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

I have to admit, the 'it can't get any worse'/'you haven't seen anything yet' dance is getting a bit tiresome. It's also getting a bit worrisome, no pun intended. I mean, at some point, if things don't stop getting worse, it goes from 'wow, Yoko Taro knows how to wring every last drop of tragedy out of a story' to 'wow, Yoko Taro knows how to write a story that only a psychopath could read without becoming suicidally depressed'. I'm not expecting any variety of happy ending at this point, but I hope the 'true' ending doesn't wind up being 'you know how in Nier you had to erase the protagonist from existence? You're going to have to go a bit further this time.'

Last ending isn't always true ending right? I can't recall all nier endings but wasn't humanity boned in all of them, just to varying degrees?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

alexminor posted:

Last ending isn't always true ending right? I can't recall all nier endings but wasn't humanity boned in all of them, just to varying degrees?

I don't think it was so much as varying degrees as it was completely.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

alexminor posted:

Every Nier ending was basically just an extension of the previous one, honestly. The only ones that were markedly different were the choice that led to C or D.

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
All endings are canon in DrakeNier, even dying by mackerel or going to fish instead of saving your friends. Or taking out your own OS chip.

Why do you think Accords are so busy sealing timelines all over the place?

Ah, a message from the Accord Network: "make all efforts to keep Nowe's from ever being born. Such branches in which he exists must be sealed immediatley" (what, you thought we were trying to fight the Watchers all this time?)

This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a strange gimmick you have but the core message is basically right.

All of the endings are canon and Yoko Taro's on record as saying he considers anything you consider an ending personally to be as valid as any other.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’m honestly glad YTs games have less nonsense these days. There’s no suddenly-space-babies or horrible dragomageddons, all the twists and terrible things are much more in-universe with better buildup and suspense. It feels less like he’s trying to differentiate his stories (which he was) and more like this is just the way he likes to tell his stories.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Where's he say that?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

ManSedan posted:

I’m honestly glad YTs games have less nonsense these days. There’s no suddenly-space-babies or horrible dragomageddons, all the twists and terrible things are much more in-universe with better buildup and suspense. It feels less like he’s trying to differentiate his stories (which he was) and more like this is just the way he likes to tell his stories.

I agree with your sentiment, although honestly I don't think the space babies were out of place in Drakengard 1. That game was full of horror and insanity from the very beginning, and it only got worse as the game progressed. The endings before that one were already pretty eldritch and terrifying. It worked well within the context of that game, although I agree that one game of that sort of stuff was enough.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

ManSedan posted:

excuse me,what? (Drakengard 3 Ending Spoilers,beware?)

Nier is the rational,tame series.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Really though, that made sense within the context. All the elements were there in the story before - music-magic, the flower, the sisters - so in the weird Yoko Taro world it was almost logical.

Giant flying cannibal space babies were not.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Bit of a tangent, but as someone who never got to personally experience the final boss of Drakengard 1, I devised a way to (more or less) attempt it. Why would I want to do this, you ask? Because it's a problem when morbid curiosity combines with masochistic gaming tendencies. Anyway:

1. Open up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPW-RdzStA&t=137s

2. Move the video to one side of your screen.

3. Open up notepad and enter the line
wwwweeeeweweweeeewewewewwwweweweewwwwweweweeewwwwwewewewwewe
wewwwwweewweewweewewewewewweewwwewwwewwwwwewwwwweeweeweweweweeweewewewewewwweeewewewweeewwwewewewwe
Remove the line break. It should all be on one line.
'w' represents the white notes, 'e' represents the black notes (I wanted my two fingers next to each other so that's what I went with)

4. Move your notepad file to the other side of the screen so it doesn't cover the youtube video.

5. Play the video, click on a blank line in notepad right below the long-rear end one I posted above, and attempt to match your typing with the notes of the boss.

6. If you manage to 'beat' the final boss, the line you typed should exactly match the aforementioned line. Congrats!

Apologies if I messed up the notes in the line, I created it by closely examining the youtube video of the fight a bunch of times, but for all I know I missed one or two.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i could repeat that last run from memory for weeks after i first beat it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lets hang out posted:

i could repeat that last run from memory for weeks after i first beat it

I spent so long trying to beat Jumpin' Jack Flash in Elite Beat Agents that my hand starts twitching when it comes on the radio.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

I spent so long trying to beat Jumpin' Jack Flash in Elite Beat Agents that my hand starts twitching when it comes on the radio.

Invisible mode is a total bitch on every song except Jumpin' Jack Flash, which I had memorized to the point where it didn't matter that I couldn't see the notes, I could still play it

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, same. I don't think that reflex is ever going to leave me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I spent a solid week throwing myself at Drakengard 3's final boss with no luck, it was soul-crushing.
The worst part was how getting better at it only made each loss even more painful, making it to Zero only to gently caress up immediately was like a mild-mannered japanese man holding a sock puppet kicked me in the balls.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Are you talking about the rhythm game boss? That boss was a huge dick move since you had to be super awesome at rhythm games to even stand a chance, especially given that it was several minutes long and one mistake meant starting over from the beginning. The absolute biggest dick move is that the final beat comes waaaaaaaaaaaaay after the rest, when it looks like the fight is over, right as the screen has almost faded completely to black. You'd have already set your controller down long before then. Think you've won? Haha, gently caress you; you gotta start over.

I'm awful at rhythm games so I had to cheese it by following along with a YouTube guide and even then it was rough. That little bit of bullshit was the last trophy I needed and I wasn't about to let it stand in the way of my plat. I got all the other trophies because despite the jankiness it's actually a pretty fun game.

Ah, Yoko Taro. :allears:

...! fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 16, 2017

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
How strict is the timing on the button presses in the Drakengard 3 boss? I haven't attempted it but overall it looks significantly easier than D1's outside of the last two notes being blatantly unfair because they break the previously established rhythm. I'm pretty good at rhythm games though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

KamikazePotato posted:

How strict is the timing on the button presses in the Drakengard 3 boss? I haven't attempted it but overall it looks significantly easier than D1's outside of the last two notes being blatantly unfair because they break the previously established rhythm. I'm pretty good at rhythm games though.

pretty strict. d1 didn't require you to be in rhythm at all, you could just mash it out as quickly as you wanted. just memorizing a 20 second pattern is a lot easier than memorizing an 8 minute one and then playing it back in time while the framerate is buckling and sometimes your inputs are delayed because d3 is not well made

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 16, 2017

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
The Final Song is awesome though, one of my favorite game music ever without hesitation ♥ It just happens to come along with the trauma of that one boss...But its a great song and the "fight" is beautiful (the Flower, the Sisters and their animation when they appear, the ruins of Tokyo in the background).

"NieR:3 Murder on the Dancefloor". We'll fight whatever the hell Yoko Taro will throw at us through hellish dancing rhythm game making no sense, with silent notes, blind cameras and of course bullet hell to dodge. And the final boss will be a good old jrpg fight with artifical difficulty because "you thought that'd be the easiest part? HAH!" - Yoko Taro.

Er- I think I got carried away a little, pray forgive me and continue. I'll be right over there.

This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I don't think you can say that about a game featuring aliens, space androids, machine messiahs, and machine space races.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I'm sure they mean in a relative sense considering some of those have a logical progression while Drakengard went hard right into cosmic death infants

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

...! posted:

Ah, Yoko Taro. :allears:

For the record: all of us (including me) have Stockholm Syndrome towards Yoko Taro, correct?
It's the only explanation as to why, after being kicked in the balls repeatedly, our answer is "Thank you sir may I have another sir" and we completely, unironically mean it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Drakenier 3: Dancing all Massacre

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It is funny to see people to this day rage that the final boss of a hack and slash action game is a super difficult hardcore 8 minute long rhythm game with no checkpoints, required super precise timing, and an unskippable 30 second cutscene at the beginning, and I'm sure that's exactly the reaction Yoko was going for. :allears:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

RelentlessImp posted:

I don't think you can say that about a game featuring aliens, space androids, machine messiahs, and machine space races.

It IS the tame series, tame here meaning having actual coherent themes and narrative. Drakengard games are comically out there when it comes to bizarre sexual content and unfun gameplay that you can't quite tell if it's bad on purpose

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...! posted:

It is funny to see people to this day rage that the final boss of a hack and slash action game is a super difficult hardcore 8 minute long rhythm game with no checkpoints, required super precise timing, and an unskippable 30 second cutscene at the beginning, and I'm sure that's exactly the reaction Yoko was going for. :allears:

I still remember a post from The Dark Id in, I think, one of the PS3 threads that simply went "A Dualshock died to that last note" :allears:.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Nina posted:

It IS the tame series, tame here meaning having actual coherent themes and narrative. Drakengard games are comically out there when it comes to bizarre sexual content and unfun gameplay that you can't quite tell if it's bad on purpose

Drakengard games have a consistent and coherent theme. It just happens that said theme is 'you are a terrible person for playing/enjoying this game and deserve to be punished.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I think this is a better example since I still have no idea why this was a thing

• Locked thread