Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Harlock posted:

How do you customize the art for non Steam games in game mode? I gave everything custom backgrounds and icons in desktop mode but still just gray blobs

What other people have said (you can only do it in desktop mode), but it's a pain in the rear end and much easier to just install the booper from steamgriddb: https://www.steamgriddb.com/boop

After you "boop" stuff across from the site you have to either restart steam, or pop back into game mode from desktop mode to see the change. But it works great, and is much easier than hunting down the 5 different places you have to modify the art one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

You can try the beta version of it now. It's on Github. I ran through and updated all mine with it. It's definitely nicer than the script version.

https://github.com/EmuDeck/emudeck-electron

Just go to releases and grab the newest one and run it in Desktop mode.

Oh nice let's give this a go.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought the 512gb Deck thinking I’ll be fine but now I wanna expand. What’s the goon recommended ssd? I know Valve doesn’t recommend putting a new one in, but it won’t void my warranty, will it? As for the 512gb I’ll be taking out, would it work well in a PS5?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are there any switch games the Steam Deck is unable to emulate? I can see how Nintendo fans who have tied a large part of their identity into a handheld electronic device would be upset by something obviously better coming around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Are there any switch games the Steam Deck is unable to emulate? I can see how Nintendo fans who have tied a large part of their identity into a handheld electronic device would be upset by something obviously better coming around.

Loads https://yuzu-emu.org/game/

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Detective No. 27 posted:

I bought the 512gb Deck thinking I’ll be fine but now I wanna expand. What’s the goon recommended ssd? I know Valve doesn’t recommend putting a new one in, but it won’t void my warranty, will it? As for the 512gb I’ll be taking out, would it work well in a PS5?

The Microcenter Inland 1tb is $140 but it’s one of your only options to get a new SSD with a warranty. Everything on eBay is pulled out of a Surface or something.

I’ve got one installed. The iFixit instructions were fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Detective No. 27 posted:

They say not to replace it with a longer one. A 2230 or whatever is fine. Grab any 1tb 2230 you can find.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
The vent does smell nice

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The Deck is better in part because it came five years later than the Switch, and the latter plays its own games without any extra fuss. I've had a lot of fun with my Deck, but it's really not the same niche the Switch fills.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Switch vent doesn't smell of anything though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DrWrestling69 posted:

The vent does smell nice

It's confirmed to take 5 years off your life per sniff just to let you know.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

njsykora posted:

The Switch vent doesn't smell of anything though.

It smells like a Wii U.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

PantsBandit posted:

It's confirmed to take 5 years off your life per sniff just to let you know.

I've been huffing my Deck for ten hours straight and unfortunately I'm still not dead.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Looking on proton dB and it says to run halo master cheif collection I need to switch to an older version of proton.
For someone that has no idea about how any of this work. How do I do that?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DrWrestling69 posted:

Looking on proton dB and it says to run halo master cheif collection I need to switch to an older version of proton.
For someone that has no idea about how any of this work. How do I do that?

In the library press start on the game to open the options menu, go to compatibility and you can manually set which Proton version is used there.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
if you go to the configure/properties for the game and go to 'compatibility' you can force a different proton version

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd still rather play most of the Switch games on Switch. A lot of the ones I play run pretty good on the Deck, but like BOTW and Mario Odyssey still run better on Switch and look way better with the OLED screen. In fact most of the first party games work and look better on Switch still, especially if you have the OLED model. And I'm not sure there's any game I've come across yet that performs noticeably better on the Deck than it does the Switch.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Are there any switch games the Steam Deck is unable to emulate?
I wouldn't say the Deck is better in all ways. Like, comparing the Quake remaster side-by-side they perform the same, but it probably looks a bit better on the Switch due to OLED. The game actually loads faster on the Switch too and there's no shader shenanigans. Beyond that, the Switch is smaller and generally has better battery life. Oh, and it (easily?) supports multiple user profiles.

That said, while the gyro in Quake works fine on both systems there's many Switch shooters that don't support gyro or don't support it properly. The Switch also lacks trackpads.

The Deck is obviously better for games that don't perform well on the Switch, or are too demanding to port.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

njsykora posted:

In the library press start on the game to open the options menu, go to compatibility and you can manually set which Proton version is used there.

Nice. Thanks .

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
OLED switch owning dirty scumbag here; haven't seen any salty switch owners about the deck or 2000s console wars mentality anywhere; both are cool and give me access to two different libraries of games and I'm sure both will coexist peacefully forever.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone rocking nreal glasses with steam deck?

https://a.co/d/erOutWl

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

A lot, I can't get Smash Ultimate to run for some reason and the Switch version of Starlink doesn't load either. My files might just be jank.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yuzu compatibility is far from 100%, stuff that's playable will run but stuff that's dodgy on the Switch (hello Link's Awakening remake) will probably be dodgy on the Deck as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

njsykora posted:

Yuzu compatibility is far from 100%, stuff that's playable will run but stuff that's dodgy on the Switch (hello Link's Awakening remake) will probably be dodgy on the Deck as well.

Link's Awakening can actually run better than the Switch using Ryujinx, there's even mods that will keep the game a steady 60 instead of the terrible half frame rate poo poo the Switch version did constantly as soon as the game dropped before 60 FPS.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone know how to get RetroArch to save hot keys and game settings? I have EmuDeck installed and my GBA game is apparently running through RetroArch which is part of Emulation Station. I press L3+R3 to change some fast forward and hot key settings. But every time I reset the game the settings get wiped.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So every game I install on this thing I spend like an hour setting up Steam Input, benchmarking graphics, getting my performance settings all setup, then connect it to my monitor and do it all over again. Then I save like at the start of the game and put it away.

Good news is that this doesn't scale, so I only have 38 of my uh, 611 Steam some games installed. Did I mention I first created a Steam account to preorder this thing? Do the math on that one.

Am I doing it right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Harminoff posted:

Interesting. Might be time for me to get some lasered eyes if this sort of thing is popping up.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Subjunctive posted:

Interesting. Might be time for me to get some lasered eyes if this sort of thing is popping up.

It actually comes with lens adapters for glasses, you would just need to get the correct size lenses for them!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anyone have experience with running Overwatch? I got the Battle.net installer and Overwatch running and installed through Proton but in my experience the framerate isn't stable even when i set it to low. It mostly is but has stutters now and then. Seeing other resources out there, I see other people running it through Lutris - could that possibly give me more stable framerate?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So every game I install on this thing I spend like an hour setting up Steam Input, benchmarking graphics, getting my performance settings all setup, then connect it to my monitor and do it all over again. Then I save like at the start of the game and put it away.

Good news is that this doesn't scale, so I only have 38 of my uh, 611 Steam some games installed. Did I mention I first created a Steam account to preorder this thing? Do the math on that one.

Am I doing it right?

We only play Vampire Survivors and sniff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I usually play my switch docked because my tv in my studio is right there, and now I'm realizing that the couch isn't super comfy (small ikea couch the gf got, I would rather have had a recliner so I'm not hunched over)

I tried sitting on the couch with the Deck but couldn't get comfortable stacking up pillows, so I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Backrest-Portable-Adjustable-Multi-Function-Disability/dp/B08PJSSGQT

Anyone tried this or have other suggestions? (we don't have room for a recliner)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

We only play Vampire Survivors and sniff.

Get with the times there’s now a Vampire Survivors, but horny anime, that everyone switched to.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh wow that’s sounds awful, what’s it called? There’s just so many steam games. I mean that’s horrible but where would I find it? So I can avoid it of course.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's called Holocure. It's got something to do with vtubers. I watched Playframe play it and it looks like a very competent VS clone with good animation and a theme that completely repels me. Cutesy kiddy-looking horny anime. No thanks.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh Holocure isn’t even slightly horny, my search continues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Talorat posted:

Oh wow that’s sounds awful, what’s it called? There’s just so many steam games. I mean that’s horrible but where would I find it? So I can avoid it of course.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Despite starting full on early access somewhere in the next couple days, they have also just inscrutably(gotta give these things some lead time like Spellbook and Cult of Babel!) recently released a Prologue edition that is Somewhat gained/better over the prior demo---but only somewhat as many of the rougher edges remain as such, hopefully to actually get sorted throughout EA proper else that ain't Beautiful nor Mystic.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2149790/Beautiful_Mystic_Survivors_Prologue/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That is some horny gaming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: ^^^^ Now THAT is an actual horny anime game.

HopperUK posted:

Cutesy kiddy-looking horny anime. No thanks.

??????

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Talorat posted:

Oh Holocure isn’t even slightly horny, my search continues.

yeah i was excited and all i got was disappointment

drat it's free too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harminoff posted:

I saw a review of these saying that they're perfect for the Deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVJvlja3FM

Now that I can get them without resorting to a Japanese eBay listing I placed and order and I'll let you know how they are.