Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Condolences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Aren’t ghost jobs done to qualify to get H-1B visas? :thunk:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I’m an engineer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I bet not one of you could drive the train or even wear the hat.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I could drive the train easily. I would never attempt to wear the hat as that takes years of training and experience.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

aids

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

tech's filled with engineers and architects, idk why that's so surprising

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PDP-1 posted:

that's amazing to me, in the electrical engineering world we struggle to get applications at all, much less being so picky as to only choose hyper qualified mid-career people.

it does not help that we are in florida where there seems to be a bit of a tech exodus going on

i guess we should start a "learn2solder" course :hmmyes:

I’m glad to hear this, as a 40 year old EE undergrad (career migration from healthcare). I’ve been sweating what the job market will look like when I finish.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I can drive the train! Nobody said drive it well!

Apr 7, 2003

Architecting my burp and fart piano app. I’m drawing out exactly how each burp and fart will be ornamented. I love architecture.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Architecting my burp and fart piano app. I’m drawing out exactly how each burp and fart will be ornamented. I love architecture.

With Unreal Engine 5.4 you can lovingly animate the burps and farts easily!

Apr 7, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

I’m glad to hear this, as a 40 year old EE undergrad (career migration from healthcare). I’ve been sweating what the job market will look like when I finish.

My brother got an EE undergrad six years ago and ended up skipping out of the EE market entirely to do industrial engineering at Hershey Chocolate, many such cases

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jesus Christ YouTube, gently caress off with shorts already! 90% of “shorts” is some AI voice describing what’s in a TV/Movie scene. ~*~* The future! *~*~

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

FlapYoJacks posted:

Jesus Christ YouTube, gently caress off with shorts already! 90% of “shorts” is some AI voice describing what’s in a TV/Movie scene. ~*~* The future! *~*~

Absolutely cannot kill them appearing. They keep pushing that shite and short form videos are what zombify people.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You are just the same as the fartiest fart app guy

Apr 7, 2003

loquacius posted:

You are just the same as the fartiest fart app guy

you can't read

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FlapYoJacks posted:

engagement

shorts were already really bad when it was lovely stand-up comedian clips or someone filming themselves at costco or whatever. i dont use youtube except to occasionally see if any of my subscribed people have put out something new like primative tech, folding ideas or captain disillusion. always turn off autoplay as well

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ypu guys need to gently caress already, you’re giving me blue balls.

Apr 7, 2003

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Ypu guys need to gently caress already, you’re giving me blue balls.

I'm saving my kisses for Donald J. Trump

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Literate people become communists according to X, the Everything App.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

quote:

The industry as a whole is now facing a broad contraction. Between August 2022 and the end of last year, employment fell by 26 percent—more than one job gone in every four. Layoffs hit Warner Bros. Discovery, Netflix, Paramount Global, Roku, and others in 2022. In 2023, firings swept through the representation giants United Talent Agency and Creative Artists Agency; Netflix, Paramount Global, and Roku again; plus Hulu, NBCUniversal, and Lionsgate. In early 2024, it was announced that Amazon was cutting hundreds of jobs from its Prime Video and Amazon MGM Studios divisions. In February, Paramount Global laid off roughly eight hundred people. It’s unclear which streamers will survive. As James Dolan, the interim executive chair of AMC Networks, told employees in late 2022 as he delivered news of massive layoffs—roughly 200 people (20 percent of U.S. staff) would lose their jobs—“the mechanisms for the monetization of content are in disarray.”2

quote:

IP had proved extremely valuable on the international market—increasingly important as domestic box-office growth stagnated over the course of the Aughts and 2010s—and it began to make up a greater and greater share of studio output. According to the media historian Shawna Kidman, franchise movies had accounted for around 25 percent of all studios’ wide-release features in 2000; in 2017 they made up more than 64 percent.
drat lol

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

drat lol

Good, maybe we'll see a revival of independent film and independent theaters *looks at rents* oh gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Good, maybe we'll see a revival of independent film and independent theaters *looks at rents* oh gently caress

in 2000, we had about 7 or so theaters in our downtown (and even more in the 80s). the last one closed in 2023

they converted one to a rock climbing gym which is kinda cool i guess

Apr 7, 2003

There was one independent theater near our apartment that I really loving loved, it was a 1920s movie palace that was owned by a community org and showed interesting stuff. Last thing I saw there was s Dan O'Bannon / John Carpenter retrospective in 2018.

A member of the board who came from money and got pissy about not having enough control bought the building out from under the board, threw them out via some lease technicality, and went to showing marvel poo poo exclusively for six years. He just sold the theater back to another community org but it's too late for us, the community we built there 2010-2018 is gone forever.

It's neat that we give individuals with lots of money the power to trash communities like that

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Horseshoe theory posted:

Aren’t ghost jobs done to qualify to get H-1B visas? :thunk:

there's no single reason in my experience, just a ton of different situations that incentivize companies to keep these positions open

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
A24 is really cool but private equity has got their claws into them demanding bigger budget blockbusters like civil war, so it's going to get destroyed now that PE is involved

but i guess it sort of paid off, CW has broke about even so far

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Xaris posted:

A24 is really cool but private equity has got their claws into them demanding bigger budget blockbusters like civil war, so it's going to get destroyed now that PE is involved

but i guess it sort of paid off, CW has broke about even so far

Broke even doesn’t sound like exponential growth. Sounds like that studio is toast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FlapYoJacks posted:

I wouldn’t join any company that has more than three rounds of interviews.

First interview: Quick phone call with a recruiter to make sure you aren’t a scammer.
Second interview: Talk to a manager or two at the department you would be working at.
Third interview: Interview with the team to make sure you are a good fit and won’t drive everyone crazy.

Yeah.

I enjoy when my kid tells me they had to do a personality test to be employed by Panda Express.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Absolutely cannot kill them appearing. They keep pushing that shite and short form videos are what zombify people.

If you're on android, download YouTube ReVanced. It gives you a bunch of benefits, and being able to stop shorts appearing in your feed is one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Also, feel like I'm burning down a rainforest or something talking to CoPolit (browser, 30 prompts...) to create a somewhat complicated finite state machine in C++ that is better than mine which in reality shouldn't be too hard to do.

In short, I weep for all of your futures.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

I didn’t know she liked Nietzsche

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/jdcmedlock/status/1789776460229583305

https://x.com/jdcmedlock/status/1789778621395009583

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

It’s on fuckin tracks. Being a train “engineer” is probably one of the easiest jobs in the world. They basically drive themselves.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

HazCat posted:

If you're on android, download YouTube ReVanced. It gives you a bunch of benefits, and being able to stop shorts appearing in your feed is one.

my favorite thing is that they let you disable shorts, but only for 1 month

just in case you suddenly decide you like them, sure wouldn't want to disable them forever!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zokari posted:

just in case you suddenly decide you like them, sure wouldn't want to disable them forever!!!

lmfao wtf

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Zokari posted:

Some pm definitely got a good performance review for that one

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if that guys so worried he should purchase a gold twitter badge like the kobeissi twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HazCat posted:

but there's so many cute animal shorts