Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It wasn’t an analogy at all, go back to remedial reading

Oh so it was a non sequitur? Makes sense, you're a very bad poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Stop it guys.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
the pic makes it even funnier

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1789281820682392012?t=MAHQuBT0ug04Q-c6uPLH6g&s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hella-Jeff-rear end pic

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

but there's so many cute animal shorts

I watch those on instagram. Youtube is where I go for 6 hour long video essays.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

biceps crimes posted:

my posts will become more valuable than ever

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

:psypop:

I'm losing my mind

CN CREW-VESSEL has issued a correction as of 01:55 on May 13, 2024

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

:psypop:

I'm losing my mind

the numbers are deranged and heinous all by themselves

new car 3000 what the gently caress

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

rational human being: I value not having noisy neighbors at precisely $151.37 per month but this mortgage payment is $152 more than my rent so I will not be purchasing this house thank you

this is simply how the world works, folks, it's science

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

jw, did COVID ever reduce or become less potent? I don't recall this ever happening... and yet... the graphs assure me that it did :dumb:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

jw, did COVID ever reduce or become less potent? I don't recall this ever happening... and yet... the graphs assure me that it did :dumb:

The death rate is lower today because the vulnerable people died. That's what we call a "success story"

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

As someone in media (RIP), it's been interesting to watch the same exploitative, enshittifying corporate practices (to say nothing of the horrific, blood-letting layoffs) we've been dealing with for at least 20 years start filtering into the tech industry en masse. Everything from offering exclusively unpaid internships, expecting entry-level employees to gobble up poverty wages, forcing you to work out a two-week "notice" after getting laid off, no overtime unless you go over 40 hours because technically your work week is 37 hours, not paying out unused PTO when you quit or lose your job because you technically didn't accrue it yet, batshit non-compete clauses, and on and on and on. I don't wanna say I'm laughing at it, but given that these were the same people who smugly told me to learn to code and that my degree/job were worthless, I'm not not getting something out of this.

RumbleFish has issued a correction as of 02:27 on May 13, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Covid only reduces one thing

the freakin economy

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The death rate is lower today because the vulnerable people died. That's what we call a "success story"

The free market preventing COVID mitigation solved the congestion problem that was impeding my ability to enjoy trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVsDNryMwCs

(The comments on this are loving dire)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Matthew has roughly 5 months to live. From an economic standpoint, is the window of profiting from his assets

- less than 5 months
- 5 months
- greater than 5 months

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

The free market preventing COVID mitigation solved the congestion problem that was impeding my ability to enjoy trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVsDNryMwCs

(The comments on this are loving dire)

$7.99?

These are like $19 now aren't they?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

a just society would perpetuate a university economics education -> wet dog food pipeline

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

$7.99?

These are like $19 now aren't they?

They're absolutely smaller than what's in that video but that doesn't mean a whole lot

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mmm yum, a bowl of rice for the cost of a bag of rice

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

i am harry posted:

a just society

what the hell are you talking about?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

loquacius posted:

Anyone can call themselves an engineer

The title is meaningless, you should not drive self-worth from it

I promote everyone ITT to "principal posting engineer," please put it on your business cards specifically to annoy PFC

this isn't true, most states actually regulate it because it signifies professional liability and a duty to public safety

california is a notable exception which is why it's so prevalent in software, since these companies want to be able to claim that their products are "engineered" - if it was meaningless then this title creep wouldn't be happening in the first place

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Pivot
Expertise
Next-gen
Innovation
Synergy

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this isn't true, most states actually regulate it because it signifies professional liability and a duty to public safety

california is a notable exception which is why it's so prevalent in software, since these companies want to be able to claim that their products are "engineered" - if it was meaningless then this title creep wouldn't be happening in the first place

anyone can call themselves an engineer

The title is regulated if you want to be an engineer acting in an official (subtype) engineering capacity that requires an engineer's license. You cannot sign off on a bridge or apply to a job as a "Civil Engineer" by just calling yourself one. There is nothing stopping a grocery store from calling a shelf stocker a "Planogram Engineer."

There is not a swat team that kicks down an office door because a sales marketing company middle manager calls themselves a "Social Engineer" without a state approved license enabling him to sign official documents as a fully credentialed engineer.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rectal Death Alert posted:

anyone can call themselves an engineer

The title is regulated if you want to be an engineer acting in an official (subtype) engineering capacity that requires an engineer's license. You cannot sign off on a bridge or apply to a job as a "Civil Engineer" by just calling yourself one. There is nothing stopping a grocery store from calling a shelf stocker a "Planogram Engineer."

There is not a swat team that kicks down an office door because a sales marketing company middle manager calls themselves a "Social Engineer" without a state approved license enabling him to sign official documents as a fully credentialed engineer.

depends on the state, but yeah your local state board just fines the hell outta you

i get a newsletter from the louisiana board where they print all the fines, saw one that was thousands from a dude's business cards

there's also the "industrial exception" but that's for internal titles only, which i believe got pushed through federally from lobbying by the texas car manufacturers

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oh no not the state board

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

The fines are for acting in a certified engineering capacity without certification. The word engineer is not protected.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I call myself a software artiste

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I call myself a poo poo poster.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

The fines are for acting in a certified engineering capacity without certification. The word engineer is not protected.

yeah you can call yourself a Blowjob Engineer and they'll roll their eyes at your amazing understanding of how free speech works. if you try to defraud someone by falsely claiming to be a certified/licensed mechanical engineer they can regulate you for that

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

FlapYoJacks posted:

I call myself a poo poo poster.

I'm a poopsmith

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
in hindsight i regret raising professional designations as a joke

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
California economy looking like poo poo

https://apnews.com/article/california-budget-deficit-gov-gavin-newsom-8f502d57d00d551c0b6b6331367f7a25

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

drat what if the 70 year olds with 8 million dollar houses paid taxes on them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

anime was right posted:

That would be communism. :mods:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I wonder how much money for the HSR that’s never happening is in that budget lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Wow, you're a real insecurity engineer

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

anime was right posted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/WSJ/status/1789988995843121382

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Welcome to the post-Grenfell world, Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

GameStop mania is back

https://x.com/theroaringkitty/status/1789807772542067105?s=46&t=iCZYZyX9UaxzghFwKmFxRQ

https://x.com/CNBC/status/1789977470575296599