Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 7 days!)

i visited america for two weeks when i was seven and nothing at disney topped the thrill and excitement of driving for hours to nott's berry farm, dad's credit card getting declined, watching him have a bellowing altercation with the ticket seller, and then driving hours back to the hotel in smouldering silence

and even that did not compare to the real event of the season: pokemon blue on the gameboy colour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

and even that did not compare to the real event of the season: pokemon blue on the gameboy colour

1998 and same, best ninth birthday ever

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 7 days!)

StealthArcher posted:

1998 and same, best ninth birthday ever
one of my most vivid memories of that trip was in a los angeles hotel straight after i traded my abra for a mr mime, going into the bathroom and seeing my shocked, stricken face in the mirror

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Pokemon Crystal for me but :same:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

pnumoman posted:

I'm dying in Disney right now because my sister works for the mouse and we get free tickets. My niece and nephew are still pretending that this poo poo is worth dying in the Florida heat for. At least it's not at the height of summer.

Also, almost every kisok sells alcohol. $15 frozen jack and coke is a ripoff I'm willing to accept right now, anything to dull this torture.
the econ test FF posted in another thread comes to mind

"what is the price you're willing to pay for a jack and coke? What if you are in literal hell disney world, would you pay $15???"

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

shrike82 posted:

chocolate's back on the menu

oh thank the gods. Jemi's chocolate hasn't been seen in my grocer for about 3 months and I figured the cocoa market priced out that flavor. If it comes back, I'll sacrifice a goat or something because I've had the shakes forever and a jones of the worst sort.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they will never truly know happiness actually

Getting them ready for the real world. Good parenting!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh boy 120 posts i bet...oh its loving theme parks

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh boy 120 posts i bet...oh its loving theme parks

they make whole theme parks out of the Tunnel of Love?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Not riding to the theme park in an inexpensive EV are we?

President Joe Biden will double, triple and quadruple tariffs on some Chinese goods this week, unveiling the measures at a White House event framed as a defense of American workers, people familiar with the matter say.

Biden will hike or add tariffs in key sectors after nearly two years of review. The total tariff on Chinese electric vehicles will rise to 102.5% from 27.5%, the people said, speaking on condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement. Others will double or triple in targeted industries, though the scope remains unclear.

https://fortune.com/2024/05/12/joe-biden-us-tariffs-chinese-goods-electric-vehicle-duties-trump/

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

can't let people have access to cars that cost less than 10 years indentured servitude

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone post about how GAMESTOP (GME) is suddenly KICKING OFF again?

Apparently because Roaring Kitty is sooo back? With this tweet???

https://twitter.com/TheRoaringKitty/status/1789807772542067105

it's all very strange and postmodern feeling but this is how the economy works now

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

pnumoman posted:

Also, almost every kisok sells alcohol. $15 frozen jack and coke is a ripoff I'm willing to accept right now, anything to dull this torture.

man this is the sort of poo poo that is making me think about just carrying a hip flask of alcohol on me at all times and I don’t drink

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i am harry posted:

man this is the sort of poo poo that is making me think about just carrying a hip flask of alcohol on me at all times and I don’t drink

selling shots of jack for $10 at disneyland

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

selling shots of jack for $10 at disneyland

get me a whole jacket with inner display ensemble and I’ll sell loosies too since they’re $.50 each now

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

silicone thrills posted:

Teach your kids the important lesson about money and just say "we cant afford it" their entire childhood.

i read this thing (probably a reddit thread but idk), by and for the adult children of christian pastors, in america. subject was something like "what do you wish regular people understood about growing up as the preacher's kid" and the replies were bleak. lots of "dad gave away all of our food to strangers and we just had to deal with it, i was 9" and "dad said birthdays are for other people so we didnt do those" and "dad's parishioners needed [thing] so he just took mine and gave it to them without asking".

like its one thing to christianly give away your own poo poo to the poor or whatever, but its another to deliberately have kids and then impose that on them. seemed like a great way to ensure your beliefs dont make it to the next generation, cuz you hosed them over

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Consolidated Ed posted:

like its one thing to christianly give away your own poo poo to the poor or whatever, but its another to deliberately have kids and then impose that on them. seemed like a great way to ensure your beliefs dont make it to the next generation, cuz you hosed them over

new scientist once had a study in it that found the chance of a child growing up to be religious when raised in a religious family was ~50%

the chance a child grows up religious in a non religious household is ~6%, obviously.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I love it when people getting visibly upset when I blurt out jesus christ at the grocery prices

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

this is sort of the unofficial AI hate thread and I also hate AI but I am seeing some pretty slick Chat GPT-4 TikToks today https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLqaLJTL/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone post about how GAMESTOP (GME) is suddenly KICKING OFF again?

Apparently because Roaring Kitty is sooo back? With this tweet???

https://twitter.com/TheRoaringKitty/status/1789807772542067105

it's all very strange and postmodern feeling but this is how the economy works now

the most recent trueanon talks about how just about everyone under 30 sees the internet and economy and it's bang on

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

blue squares posted:

this is sort of the unofficial AI hate thread and I also hate AI but I am seeing some pretty slick Chat GPT-4 TikToks today https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLqaLJTL/

how many gallons of water did this thing use up to solve a math problem made for 4th graders

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WampaLord posted:

how many gallons of water did this thing use up to solve a math problem made for 4th graders

how many gallons of water does a now obsolete 4th grade math teacher use per day? this represents a cost savings. benefits the economy bigly

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

blue squares posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDUC-LqVrPU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

blue squares posted:

lol it starts with chat-gpt saying they see the problem before he even writes it down

lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The "be my eyes" blind person use case and the live realtime translation seem useful but I hear expert systems could do this in the 80's

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Azrial posted:

House price go up even though no-one can afford house price. This is driven by demand that is excess of supply in every market in the United States even though that’s not possible.

It's from private equity and landleeches buying it all up for their portfolios.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/major-airlines-sue-biden-administration-over-fee-disclosure-rule-2024-05-13/

Major airlines sue Biden administration over fee disclosure rule

WASHINGTON, May 13 (Reuters) - Major U.S. airlines are suing the U.S. Transportation Department over a new rule requiring upfront disclosure of airline fees, the latest clash between air carriers and the Biden administration.
Lobbying group Airlines for America, along with American Airlines (AAL.O)
, Delta Air Lines (DAL.N), United Airlines (UAL.O), JetBlue Airways <JBLU.O>, Hawaiian Airlines (HA.O) and Alaska Airlines (ALK.N)
, filed suit against the department (USDOT) in the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in Louisiana late on Friday, according to a copy of the suit seen by Reuters.
The USDOT issued final rules last month requiring airlines and ticket agents to disclose service fees alongside the airfare, saying it would help consumers avoid unneeded or unexpected fees.
The airline group said in a statement on Monday the department's rule would confuse consumers and that its "attempt to regulate private business operations in a thriving marketplace is beyond its authority."
The airlines' previously unreported lawsuit calls the rule "arbitrary, capricious, an abuse of discretion and otherwise contrary to law."
USDOT said Monday it "will vigorously defend our rule protecting people from hidden junk fees and ensuring travelers can see the full price of a flight before they purchase a ticket." USDOT said last month the new rule would result in many consumers paying less for fees when traveling by air.
The agency says consumers are overpaying $543 million in fees annually, and airlines are getting that additional revenue from consumers who are surprised by fees and "then need to pay a higher fee at the airport to check a bag."
Major airlines charge higher fees to check bags if travelers do not pay in advance or wait until the time of the flight. Earlier this year, many large U.S. airlines
boosted fees for checked baggage.
USDOT said fees for baggage or flight changes "must be individually disclosed the first time that fare and schedule information is provided on the airline's online platform, and cannot be displayed through a hyperlink."
USDOT also said the rule will end "bait-and-switch tactics some airlines use to disguise the true cost of discounted flights." It prohibits airlines from advertising promotional discounts off a "low base fare that does not include all mandatory carrier-imposed fees."
The airline group called the rule "a bad solution in search of a problem." It said airlines already provide consumers with complete disclosure of all fees associated with air travel before they purchase a ticket.
Southwest Airlines (LUV.N) which expressed support for provisions in the USDOT proposal, did not join the lawsuit.
U.S. airlines collected nearly $6.8 billion in baggage fees in 2022, and $5.5 billion in the first nine months of 2023.
The rule requires airlines to inform consumers that seats are guaranteed and that they are not required to pay extra. Airlines must provide the following notice: "A seat is included in your fare. You are not required to purchase a seat assignment to travel."

The airlines have not challenged a separate rule finalized last month by USDOT that would require automatic cash refunds for canceled flights when passengers choose not to take a new flight.
"Too often, airlines drag their feet on refunds or rip folks off with junk fees," President Joe Biden said last month, arguing the mandate will protect passengers "from surprise fees."

:allears: No you see hidden fees are pro consumer. It's our right and you have no authority!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
We had a friend visiting who works at a coffee roaster in Europe and they said they’re basically buying coffee as quickly as they can and prices are changing (going up) daily. It’s a bad situation if you love that garbage.

Don’t worry, Starbucks has drinks with popping boba or “pearls” now.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I noticed my coffee jumped by $1.50 out of nowhere which is a big jump for winco, can’t imagine the safeway price lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

holefoods posted:

I noticed my coffee jumped by $1.50 out of nowhere which is a big jump for winco, can’t imagine the safeway price lol

Normal 12oz bag? Yeah, I was about to post that the coffee hikes haven't hit my Aldi yet but they just did this week.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Green coffee beans are still about the same price on Amazon as they have been for years. $10/lb. Buy those and roast them, they will taste better than pre-roasted.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Green coffee beans are still about the same price on Amazon as they have been for years. $10/lb. Buy those and roast them, they will taste better than pre-roasted.

Just mind the smoke and don't burn yourself

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
coffee no longer being in core CPI and then price jumping feels very predictable some how.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

blue squares posted:

It didn't even answer the question, it just asked leading questions. He's getting cold read by a fancy text predictor into solving a 4th grade math question.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Indexes are supposed to change every time you issue them.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

coffee no longer being in core CPI and then price jumping feels very predictable some how.

nahhh it’s because americans don’t buy coffee

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

also number go up

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

silicone thrills posted:

coffee is still in there, that was a bad tweet by a dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

blue squares posted:

wait is this supposed to be impressive