Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Why the Ni No Kuni hate? I bought it on PS3 and played the first hour or so to give it a try. Seems like a great world to get lost in, but now I'm not so sure :ohdear:

The becomes a slog after a few hours, enemies take a while to die while not being very dangerous, making progression a chore (and the really crappy AI of your allies doesn't help).
Also, while it's still pretty, and the music is nice, the plot is pretty dull and advances very slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

Why the Ni No Kuni hate? I bought it on PS3 and played the first hour or so to give it a try. Seems like a great world to get lost in, but now I'm not so sure :ohdear:
The art style's cute, but it holds your hand terribly and the battle system is sluggish, repetitive, and marred by AI problems and general repetitiveness. The plot loses its luster after a couple of hours, too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Got my hands on Atelier E&L, after finally ending my period of annoyance at Atelier Ayesha (I was annoyed at it because I did basically everything right to get the true ending, but since I went in blind and faffed about too much in the early game, I missed the very first Treasure Contest, which is really lovely.).

Is it just me or is the crafting system WAY easier to break over your knee than usual? I'm only up to the third period, but I already just one-shot nearly every encounter with a carefully crafted Guryun Blitz, and even in the occasion that something survives, everyone in my party is ridiculously strong. The fact that you have tons of free time at the end of each period really gives you a chance to make powerful equipment at all times, unlike previous Atelier games where you basically needed to constantly rush towards stuff.

It's way more chill about the time limits than usual, but it's also kinda really easy? Seems to be less random character building events, too. Also I was really confused for a while when the best effect on an item would go from L to M (say, DEF DOWN L to M), because I'm used to L meaning Large. It either means Low in this game, or they hosed up and inverted the order, not sure because I've not gotten a third-tier effect yet.

Edit: Also the voice actors for the returning characters being pretty much all different is kinda super off-putting. I can't get used to Harry's or Linca's new voices...

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 29, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Naruto Path of the Ninja 2 is one of my favorite JRPG's ever but Hell if I could tell you anything about the story barring something about a demon trapped in a mirror. :v:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

The art style's cute, but it holds your hand terribly and the battle system is sluggish, repetitive, and marred by AI problems and general repetitiveness. The plot loses its luster after a couple of hours, too.

About the time you get the boat, the game turns hard right and becomes exceedingly difficult. I keep going back to the game, trying that boss, shaking my head at the game over, and shelving it for another month before I repeat the cycle. Maybe I'm just bad at it, but the combat is not fun enough for me to keep retrying it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also I was really confused for a while when the best effect on an item would go from L to M (say, DEF DOWN L to M), because I'm used to L meaning Large. It either means Low in this game, or they hosed up and inverted the order, not sure because I've not gotten a third-tier effect yet.

This game was translated by a different group and there are a lot of annoyances like this. They inverted the order and now S is bigger. There are also inconsistent translations like "falling stars" and "meteor" used to refer to the same thing, and a number of effects have totally wrong descriptions.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of Atelier again, I hear Gust is done for for real this time? As in, it's fully merged with TK and they've dissolved the brand name? Mostly getting this from a rough look at this file.
Supposedly this doesn't actually mean anything for actual game development though.

evilalien posted:

This game was translated by a different group and there are a lot of annoyances like this. They inverted the order and now S is bigger. There are also inconsistent translations like "falling stars" and "meteor" used to refer to the same thing, and a number of effects have totally wrong descriptions.
Yeah, it was basically TK's first time doing this I think? On the plus side, no more Esty Dee.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 29, 2014

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

HGH posted:

Speaking of Atelier again, I hear Gust is done for for real this time? As in, it's fully merged with TK and they've dissolved the brand name? Mostly getting this from a rough look at this file.
Supposedly this doesn't actually mean anything for actual game development though.

According to this, they'll live on as "Gust Nagano Development Group (ガスト長野開発部)", and continue working on their existing and new IPs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Absorbing studio teams completely is pretty common in Japan. There's been a big shift towards getting rid of distinct divisions. A prime example is Namco with the Tales studio.

Edit: iirc it's mainly done so they can bring people from outside the core team to assist on products while avoiding contract issues

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Absorbing studio teams completely is pretty common in Japan. There's been a big shift towards getting rid of distinct divisions. A prime example is Namco with the Tales studio.
Yeah, it's still basically the same people, they just aren't a distinct brand or anything. They're still gonna be making Atelier/Tales games in both cases.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Double post, but Bravely Default 2 news: the composer from the first game won't be returning for the sequel.

quote:

This just in:

Revo will not be reprising his role as composer for Bravely Second, due to scheduling conflicts. A few tracks from Bravely Default will be reused (ie, town themes), however.

Instead, Ryo and supercell will be taking over. Some examples of their works include Monster Without a Name, used in the anime Psycho-Pass, and My Dearest, used in the anime Guilty Crown.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why would they even re-use town themes...? I can sort of understand if there was a "series theme" to be re-used, like Final Fantasy's prologue and its theme song that I don't think I've heard in many FFs, but that just screams laziness to me, which is not exactly a message to be sending given Bravely Default's latter half.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I mean, if you go to the same town, it makes sense for it to have the same song it used in the first game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Probably because they are going to re-use parts of BD1's world.

Going from REVO to Supercell is a bit disappointing though, oh well.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Any word when that last bit of Trails in the Sky (Monster Book?) will be finished?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

If a segway from Suikoden II is allowed, I'd like to raise a question:

What makes a JRPG, or any RPG, "good"? A better phrasing probably is "what makes a good RPG?"

I love the first six Final Fantasies, with III and V being my favorites because I like the job systems, FFTA2 is honestly my favorite game ever, and I played through Bravely Default twice without playing other games in between. However, I can't put my finger on why they appeal to me so much beyond the joy managing to get my numbers high enough to beat the final boss.

It depends.

I can enjoy an RPG with good worldbuilding or characters if the gameplay is at least acceptable, but not if it is actively bad or repellant.

I can enjoy an RPG with good gameplay as long as the plot/worldbuilding is at least acceptable or it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay. I can deal with a lovely plot for really good gameplay as long as the lovely plot doesn't include parts where the game stops for me to do lovely plot stuff.

Obviously the best is both but if I had to pick, I'd say the gameplay is more important. I can play a JRPG with a lovely but but really engaging or fun mechanics. It's a lot harder to play one with a 'good' plot but boring tedious gameplay.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 29, 2014

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
:10bux: says the first half of BD2 is the second half of BD1 again (again).

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I bought The Trails in the Sky from steam. It's supposed to be good, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yes, it is a good game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes.

If you have troubles getting it to run set the resolution to sub 1080p, because some setups aren't working with higher resolutions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'm surprised the GoG version doesn't have the soundtrack, considering the PSP collector's edition had it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Catts posted:

:10bux: says the first half of BD2 is the second half of BD1 again (again).
Says a lot about that game that I'm not willing to actually take this bet.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Bravely Default would have been the best jrpg in forever and ever if they either excised the lasy as gently caress back half or actually made something of worth for it.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

Bravely Default would have been the best jrpg in forever and ever if they either excised the lasy as gently caress back half or actually made something of worth for it.

You'd still have to deal with most of Chapter 2 and Chapter 3, which were pretty terrible story-wise in their own rights.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The whole thing was, but new stupid content is better than recycled stupid content.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Million Ghosts posted:

The whole thing was, but new stupid content is better than recycled stupid content.

I dunno, the beauty pageant thing almost made me stop playing entirely it was so gross. I hated the recycling too, but at least there were a few cool remix boss fights.

E: Not to defend either scenario. Bravely Default is really good, but those sections both hurt it a ton, for different reasons.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I dunno, the beauty pageant thing almost made me stop playing entirely it was so gross. I hated the recycling too, but at least there were a few cool remix boss fights.

E: Not to defend either scenario. Bravely Default is really good, but those sections both hurt it a ton, for different reasons.

I'd say the stuff in Chapter 3 is worst overall, because you get to the point where Anges would have been perfectly willing to not save war orphan slaves to spite everyone else, but both that and the pageant launch Anges into Luca Truelyworth-levels of sheer awfulness.

Also, what I think hurts the recycling portion of the game the most is how brain-dead stupid the group becomes during it, and that the true end is rewarding them for doing the worst actions available to them. That first section at the start of the true end chapter is infuriating and insultingly bad on virtually every level.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just beat Child of Light last night - a very visually and aurally pleasing game, for sure. Combat mechanics sometimes get a little frustrating, especially when you're against fast enemies that just keep beating you back, but the mechanics are pretty solid.

My biggest issue was the sheer number of characters you get throughout the game, when your party can only hold two at a time (luckily you can switch in combat for little to no penalty). Like, I think there are 8 characters you get. I bought the DLC to get another character, not realizing the sheer number of them, which really dilutes their importance, especially since there are a couple skills that overlap between each of them, and each of them have three equipment slots that I couldn't be bothered to fill.

Also, I didn't like how the final boss appears right after another boss, and this sort of happens without warning so I entered the battle with half health, and really struggled.

Still, I thought it was a pretty fun game to play through and would recommend it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

For Trails, is there any reason to choose GOG over Steam or the other way around

Belan
May 7, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

For Trails, is there any reason to choose GOG over Steam or the other way around

Steam version has been patched a few times already.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

GOG comes with bonuses like some wallpapers and things, and is DRM free. Steam one comes with cards (which you could sell for money), achievements, and autopatching. Up to you what's worth it, I guess.

EDIT: And the Steam one has been patched already, whereas the GOG one hasn't. Although the latest patch seems to have caused more problems...

smenj fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 30, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wasn't there talk about GOG not having a soundtrack or something thrown in? (That won't really affect my decision).

I do like Steam's patching, but I also love supporting GOG.

I'll take some time off work and away from family, go up to the mountains and meditate on this.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Wasn't there talk about GOG not having a soundtrack or something thrown in? (That won't really affect my decision).

Steam has the soundtrack too. Basically, it's in a folder called 'BGM' or something in the game files. Don't think there's anything stopping you just copying it from there.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I finally got around to beating Risen 2 after putting it off for a couple years despite really enjoying the first Risen. The early game really felt "off" to me, but once I pushed on through the game just kept on getting better and beter.

All I can say is I really hope they bring Jaffar the gnome to Risen 3. I loved that little fucker.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The steam version also has cards to sell so think of it as saving another 1.50 or so.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vakal posted:

I finally got around to beating Risen 2 after putting it off for a couple years despite really enjoying the first Risen. The early game really felt "off" to me, but once I pushed on through the game just kept on getting better and beter.

All I can say is I really hope they bring Jaffar the gnome to Risen 3. I loved that little fucker.

I played a bit of Risen 2, but went back to Risen when I realized I never beat it (and managed to finally finish it - what a crappy final boss fight)

Could you explain what you mean when you say it gets better? I remember thinking that the combat was janking as all balls, and the game didn't feel quite as open as the first Risen. Does that improve?

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 30, 2014

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Could you explain what you mean when you say it gets better? I remember thinking that the combat was janking as all balls, and the game didn't feel quite as open as the first Risen. Does that improve?

I felt the same way. I think I tried three times getting past the first island before getting frustrated and quitting. But this time I powered through to the second island and quickly became hooked.

It's a minor spoiler, but you soon get to be the captain of your own ship and have the option of freely moving between several islands. At this point things open up significantly and you also start collecting crew members who you can bring with you as a partner on land. This makes combat much more manageable since you basically always have someone tanking for you.

Sword combat is crap and doesn't get much better. But luckily you get the option of specializing in muskets on the second island which lets you steam roll over most enemies.

Once you get going, gold and glory start rolling in and you can start getting the interesting skills. My favorite was the pistol upgrade that lets you shoot some people in the face during conversations, ending duels before they even start. It has little practical value, but it's hilarious.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Edit: Also the voice actors for the returning characters being pretty much all different is kinda super off-putting. I can't get used to Harry's or Linca's new voices...

I'm pretty sure Linca is still voiced by Julie Ann Taylor. She's just talking differently than she did most of the time she talked in Ayesha, but it's the same voice. Harry is totally different though. Nio, Marion, and Wilbell are all the same, too, so only Harry's voice actor got a replacement. Gust, at least from what I've seen of the Atelier games, is pretty good about using the same voice actors for returning characters in sequels.

Also, you're definitely correct about the alchemy system being easier to use E&L, but I'm pretty sure that's because the bosses in E&L (outside the story), are much harder than they were Ayesha (with the exception of Ayesha's Grand Dragon). It's more of "scaling everything up" in terms of damage you can do and damage the enemy can do. Trust me, you'll stop feeling like super items and free refills of items are cheap after you see some of the bosses.

Another thing: L does mean the weakest effect if it's on an item. I don't think you run into the highest-tier effects on ingredients until some of the later locations, but there are ways you can great materials anywhere in the game.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 30, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

GrandpaPants posted:

Why would they even re-use town themes...? I can sort of understand if there was a "series theme" to be re-used, like Final Fantasy's prologue and its theme song that I don't think I've heard in many FFs, but that just screams laziness to me, which is not exactly a message to be sending given Bravely Default's latter half.

How do you think it becomes a series theme? This is the second game in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sylphid posted:

I'm pretty sure Linca is still voiced by Julie Ann Taylor. She's just talking differently than she did most of the time she talked in Ayesha, but it's the same voice. Harry is totally different though. Nio, Marion, and Wilbell are all the same, too, so only Harry's voice actor got a replacement. Gust, at least from what I've seen of the Atelier games, is pretty good about using the same voice actors for returning characters in sequels.

Also, you're definitely correct about the alchemy system being easier to use E&L, but I'm pretty sure that's because the bosses in E&L (outside the story), are much harder than they were Ayesha (with the exception of Ayesha's Grand Dragon). It's more of "scaling everything up" in terms of damage you can do and damage the enemy can do. Trust me, you'll stop feeling like super items and free refills of items are cheap after you see some of the bosses.

Another thing: L does mean the weakest effect if it's on an item. I don't think you run into the highest-tier effects on ingredients until some of the later locations, but there are ways you can great materials anywhere in the game.

Ayesha's Grand Dragon is super-easy though since you can stack similar effects on items for ridiculous boosts.