Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

Shaggar posted:

C# code:

var(assumed IButt) butt = SomeLib.GetSomethingWeAssumeIsAnIButt();

var(assumed int) jiggleFactor = butt.TouchIt();

database.StoreButtJiggleFactor(butt.id,jiggleFactor);

now imagine SomeLib.GetSomethingWeAssumeIsAnIButt() now starts returning ITouchable (since they want to add multiple touchables like boners, boobs, balls, etc..) AND the ITouchable.TouchIt() method now returns the firmness rating as int, instead of jiggle factor (jigglefactor has been move to IJiggler which is implemented by boobs + butts, but not balls or boners)

you are now storing the id of something that might not be a butt and the firmnessRating instead of the jiggleFactor. theres nothing your compiler can do to warn you about this since you;ve wiped out the typing in the first statement.

Do you have an example of a real world library, which you have used as a professional, which has done this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

yaoi prophet posted:

:3:

has anybody made a userscript that replaces that image with a version without the one white pixel

here you go: http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/154489.user.js

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

qntm posted:

can we go back to foo and bar

never!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

yaoi prophet posted:

:3:

has anybody made a userscript that replaces that image with a version without the one white pixel

Ozma has said she'd replace it with a corrected version, and a couple have been posted, so I think it's just a matter of time.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Sure. I could swap it out.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here you go

edit: drat, beaten to it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
All that work will be lost, like tears in rain

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

why the gently caress would you get rid of the pixel it's the best part of the smiley? the gently caress is wrong with you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

you are now storing the id of something that might not be a butt and the firmnessRating instead of the jiggleFactor. theres nothing your compiler can do to warn you about this since you;ve wiped out the typing in the first statement.

your compiler can't warn you that the upstream library authors are stupid, with or without type inference

if the interface remains intact, but the authors radically change the applied types, it's dumb luck whether your type name changed or not, because those guys are crazy

also, this:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

jigglefactor shouldn't be an int, it should be an instance of Butt::JiggleFactor

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sneaking Mission posted:

why the gently caress would you get rid of the pixel it's the best part of the smiley? the gently caress is wrong with you

:smithicide:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i like to use static typing everywhere except my parameterized sql

the really critical persisted data, that's where you need raw Int, the safest datatype that has never bitten anyone

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i like to use static typing everywhere except my parameterized sql

the really critical persisted data, that's where you need raw Int, the safest datatype that has never bitten anyone

orly? http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/06/13/anatomy-of-a-bug-the-mysql-authentication-disaster-patch-now/

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

a well-meaning datatype who never meant to hurt nobody

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i dont mind java, havent written any in a while though

goddrat is that String length limit a pain in the rear end though

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sneaking Mission posted:

okay, fine http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/154500.user.js

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

vapid cutlery posted:

I hope not. Keep letting dumb white people think they're mega smart for writing unmaintainable C++ for no money

you're in a bad company or mega dumb if you don't make money with c++, and you're a bad programmer if what you write is unmaintainable, in c++ or your spiderweb of lua

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Jerry SanDisky posted:

you're in a bad company or mega dumb if you don't make money with c++, and you're a bad programmer if what you write is unmaintainable, in c++ or your spiderweb of lua

dont take your poor life choices out on me

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

To all you C# developers, shut the hell up. The language doesn’t make you elite; it is what you do with it. If you only knew how you sound. Just shut the hell up. You sound like a bunch of bigoted zealots from the old south.

You C sharpees kill me to death. I think you find VB a little confusing so you pick C# the easier language. As far as I'm concerned VB is the more superior language whether it is in the hands of a real programmer or not. VB is not the straight jacket that C# tends to be. VB allows many more ways to skin a cat. Where C# may seem lean and agile it looses its flare and edge. I must contend that C# is not a language of a true artist but then true artists do use the thing. What I’m saying is that language is neutral in a common language infrastructure environment (.Net, Mono, Delphi). So off course if you use one then learning the other is redundant, unless you have to. I would always choose a VB background over C#, C++, java etc, and I won’t tell you why mister smarty pants. Lets be real, you are only building business applications. That is not rocket science or dare I say it, neither is it computer science. The phony elitism by these guys is beyond asinine and I will address who the real idiots are later. What I want to know is have you built any new technologies lately. Oops, sorry about that low blow to the testicles. Just having a little mean spirited fun at your expense. I’ve been ignoring this crap from you guys for years. So back atcha. You try to persuade that VB and its users are inferior for all the wrong reasons. I’ve used Basic, VB, Assembler, C++, java, oh what ever. C# is not a new invention friends. C# is just a C, C++ and java knockoff. C# is a bastard 3 generations removed and you want to bust our balls. Yes you guessed it; I don’t intend to relieve you of your ignorance. I like you just the way you are. I don’t want to persuade you to like or use VB. Why, because I enjoy feeding my arrogance with your ignorance. So on that point I am leaving you in the dark where I found you.

In the end VB and C# are just tools. The real intellect comes from choosing the one that suites you and the job best. The tools don't make the man, the man makes the tools.

Sharpees also try to put on airs because they are able earn slightly better pay then Vebras (VB developers). I just love bursting this little Arian fable you guys like to spin about. As Yoda would say, "Well rounded, you are not". It is a simple matter of economics (supply and demand), there are far fewer C sharpees. If you intend to get one of the little buggers you will have to pay a premium. Do you remember PowerBuilder and SQL Gupta. Well that’s good because that’s all they are now, a memory. At one time they both commanded more than VB in the market place. So there you are my little grass hoppers. Those Idiots use the same dumb arguments you like to spread around today. Here is my Mr. T impression, “I pity the Fools”. It’s easy to hop on a bandwagon, the trick is being savvy enough to hop on the right one. VB is still here and they are not. There you go hot shots, so you can stop clicking your boots and saluting Hi-Hitler. If sharpees had any real sense they would just shut the hell up. Why would you want more people to start using your language and bring down your stock (A.KA your earning power). Just shut the hell up. Only an Idiot would bandy such nonsense.

I hope I have offended someone, or we haven’t started having any fun yet. Please read on.

Oh and why do I call C# users C sharpees? The language and the name (C#) remind me of that little ugly dog.

Anyway we have much bigger fish to fry in the near future so it won't matter if you are a vb, cc, dd, c#, blah, blah, Blah.
If you really want to know what the elite is all about I guarantee you won’t find it in C#. If you really want to broaden your horizons you better find out what Linux and Mono is all about. You sharpees don’t even know you are just slaves. Common Language Infrastructure under Linux will set you free. I’m sure most of you want to be elites are scratching your heads now so I will rap this up because I have wasted enough time with you chaps. You now have real elite knowledge. Off course if you where elite as sharpees like to pretend then this thrashing would not have been necessary. In any case we all want to be the best that we can be. I just shared the path with you. You have ability to be much more than just programmers and developers. You should strive to be Computer Scientists. That is what the world needs. The world could give a rat’s rear end about the contents of your tool box.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

gas

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the great desdubler has spoken

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i like c# because the syntax is succinct

i just did a whole app in vb.net and boy are my arms tired

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that was a dumb joke,e ven for me, sorry. lots of meetings today turning my brains to goo.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
poo poo post but i'ma take that "Veebras" phrase

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cold on a Cob posted:

"i like _programmingLanguage_ because i have to type less letters" - a grownup

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

jigglefactor shouldn't be an int, it should be an instance of Butt::JiggleFactor
I just want to quote this post

context is irrelevant

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rotor posted:

inlocalesx_z_=: 1 : '(u@] [ 18!:4@[)"0 _ ([ 18!:4) (18!:5)@(''''"_)'

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

it's programming not a flowery prose riddled novel

succinct == concise, compact, precise, expressive. Feels good man.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i like the part where i writes the names of the modules and everyone else fills out what goes in them

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rotor posted:

"i like _programmingLanguage_ because i have to type less letters" - the entire perl community

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

it's programming not a flowery prose riddled novel

succinct == concise, compact, precise, expressive. Feels good man.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

:swoons:

all languages should support set operation glyphs imho

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i've never seen anyone make a case for array languages that convinces me they're not just out for job security

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i agree no concise syntactic sugar ever so lets declare arrays like this:

begin array variable declaration
Name: foo
Type: integer
Minimum: 0
Maximum: 1000
end array variable declaration

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

:swoons:

all languages should support set operation glyphs imho

kinda wish ruby treated them similar to arithmetic operators

Ruby code:
# encoding: utf-8
require 'set'
require 'pp'

class Set
  def &#8745;(*args)
    intersection *args
  end

def &#8746;(*args)
    union *args
  end

def &#8834;(*args)
    subset? *args
  end

def &#8835;(*args)
    superset? *args
  end
end

first = Set.new %w{a b c d}
second = Set.new %w{c d e f}
c = Set.new %w{c}

pp first.&#8745; second
pp first.&#8746; second
pp c.&#8834; first
pp second.&#8835; c
code:
> ruby sets.rb
#<Set: {"c", "d"}>
#<Set: {"a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f"}>
true
true
edit: also be nice if the forums didn't mangle 'em https://gist.github.com/4341605

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Once I saw this one dude using some vim script or something (I'm not even entirely sure if it was really vim) that if you typed like 'or not = == in' it would show as '∨ ¬ → ≡ ∈'.

I can't find any evidence that this is a real thing, if anyone is familiar with it please tell me.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
¬_¬

LMAO XD

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Symbolic Butt posted:

Once I saw this one dude using some vim script or something (I'm not even entirely sure if it was really vim) that if you typed like 'or not = == in' it would show as '∨ ¬ → ≡ ∈'.

I can't find any evidence that this is a real thing, if anyone is familiar with it please tell me.

paging zombywuf

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

i googled and didn't find any evidence so this is not a real thing

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

i know there's something similar in haskell for emacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
http://canonical.org/~kragen/setting-up-keyboard.html