Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

RadiRoot posted:

exactly. my parents grew up on unflavored oatmeal from a box and so can you!

I once passed two teenaged girls in the breakfast aisle and one said to the other, "Why would anyone eat a pop-tart without frosting?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat... kids really do say the darndest things

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the popes toes posted:

I once passed two teenaged girls in the breakfast aisle and one said to the other, "Why would anyone eat a pop-tart without frosting?"

she was right

it's not like the unfrosted ones are healthy or whatever, if you're gonna eat sugar for breakfast might as well go all-out

no half measures, that's what I always say

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
btw the idea of netflix giving jerry seinfeld a bunch of money to make a movie about pop tarts is to me an indication that netflix cannot be long for this world

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

btw the idea of netflix giving jerry seinfeld a bunch of money to make a movie about pop tarts is to me an indication that netflix cannot be long for this world

good

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've seen people here talk about how you should drive your car downtown and pay $20 to park instead of taking the bus because "it's better for the economy".

cities would cease to exist without the parking meter

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
then again every single time i've looked at anything and thought "well that stupid poo poo can't possibly succeed" i've been wrong, so

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

IV Drips Are the Latest Luxury Building Amenity

..he was thrilled to get the service without leaving home, after he moved into the Park in January. Mr. Viragh pays around $6,200 a month for a one-bedroom in the building, where three-bedrooms fetch as much as $38,000 a month.

At the Park, which started offering the service at the end of 2023, tenants can schedule an IV drip in their apartment or in a treatment room where they can also book massages, Botox or fillers.

https://dnyuz.com/2024/05/14/at-home-iv-drips-are-the-latest-luxury-building-amenity/

(Mr. Viragh eats flavored oatmeal)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

you should charge people to talk to you and the quality of answers you give as well because it generates economic value

Reinventing VTubers again

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

the popes toes posted:

IV Drips Are the Latest Luxury Building Amenity

..he was thrilled to get the service without leaving home, after he moved into the Park in January. Mr. Viragh pays around $6,200 a month for a one-bedroom in the building, where three-bedrooms fetch as much as $38,000 a month.

At the Park, which started offering the service at the end of 2023, tenants can schedule an IV drip in their apartment or in a treatment room where they can also book massages, Botox or fillers.

https://dnyuz.com/2024/05/14/at-home-iv-drips-are-the-latest-luxury-building-amenity/

(Mr. Viragh eats flavored oatmeal)

For people not reading the article:
there is no medical reason for the IV drips, its a vitamin/saline/whatever solution to "boost your immune system"

Snake Oil directly into your veins inside your home. What a time to be alive!

Apr 7, 2003

Probably actually meant for hangovers, party cities have had these for that for a long time.

https://ivloungenola.com

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

at least they didn't buy on margin

Not buying on margin is how you know they’re ngmi

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

having a couple nurses in the friend group is great for morning after IV drips. i never drank that much though because my body is a temple

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I've seen people here talk about how you should drive your car downtown and pay $20 to park instead of taking the bus because "it's better for the economy".

What’s best for the economy is the economy’s problem I got my own stuff going on

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
They should make it the full pecker checker experience and add STI screening to the hangover IVs.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Weembles posted:

Anecdotally, there are a lot of people who bought figuring that the rates will drop soon and they can refinance to an affordable monthly payment.

"You can just refinance later" was always a predatory lie to try to keep the real estate market moving. Anyone who genuinely couldn't afford their mortgage payment at the higher rate was always going to be in a poo poo load of trouble.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

"You can just refinance later" was always a predatory lie to try to keep the real estate market moving. Anyone who genuinely couldn't afford their mortgage payment at the higher rate was always going to be in a poo poo load of trouble.

The funny part is it's exactly the same lie from the early 2000s

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

It's an investment, actually. You can double your money!

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Paradoxish posted:

No it rules, pretty much any time someone talks to me about interest rates they are quoting the projection of the national association of realtors. Making financial decisions based on the trade group of the absolute dumbest motherfuckers in the economy.

Also a lot of people bought in the last 2 years on 3-1 ARMS.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Probably actually meant for hangovers, party cities have had these for that for a long time.

https://ivloungenola.com

100% this i bet. my mom is a nurse and would smuggle iv drips home for the times when my brother, dad, and i had a few too many drinks. nothing better than sitting on the porch drinking coffee with a iv drip hanging off the planter hook.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

poemdexter posted:

100% this i bet. my mom is a nurse and would smuggle iv drips home for the times when my brother, dad, and i had a few too many drinks. nothing better than sitting on the porch drinking coffee with a iv drip hanging off the planter hook.

When I was back in the mil I was able to get a hang-over IV drip from a med group guy. When that nutrient fluid was coursing through my veins I felt like Popeye after slamming a can of spinach. poo poo is magical, I highly recommend it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Azrial posted:

extremely impressive timing and decision making to absolutely maximize how hard you get hosed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's an investment, actually. You can double your money!

wow that smog swamp is beautiful

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Weembles posted:

Anecdotally, there are a lot of people who bought figuring that the rates will drop soon and they can refinance to an affordable monthly payment.
well there was also the Pandemic Bonanza where everyone was offering 30% over asking price bidding wars, waiving contingencies, waiving inspections, whatever as fast as they could

then again that’s still happening. the past month I’ve never seen so many houses go up for sale (or recently sold) in my area and are still popping 1.4 - 2.5m usually over asking

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I loved taking the express downtown bus. some of the best post wake up pre fully awake napping. and if its snowing, phew forget it, we’re driving on the shoulder past all the traffic

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Search engines are very rapidly shifting from "riddled with AI garbage with occasional hits in between" to "completely worthless no matter how you formulate your search string". I was talking with a friend about his new mortgage on a house in Canada and wanted to check some averages -- took me more than a dozen attempts (and switching to Yandex) to find a website that actually had something resembling reputable data.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

KirbyKhan posted:

When I was back in the mil I was able to get a hang-over IV drip from a med group guy. When that nutrient fluid was coursing through my veins I felt like Popeye after slamming a can of spinach. poo poo is magical, I highly recommend it.

It's insane and nothing else comes close to curing a hangover. You go from feeling like absolute poo poo to 'last night never happened' in 15 minutes tops.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

SKULL.GIF posted:

Search engines are very rapidly shifting from "riddled with AI garbage with occasional hits in between" to "completely worthless no matter how you formulate your search string". I was talking with a friend about his new mortgage on a house in Canada and wanted to check some averages -- took me more than a dozen attempts (and switching to Yandex) to find a website that actually had something resembling reputable data.

I was trying to find the details of some outdoor gear I bought a decade ago. the vendor, ecommerce platform, and review sites I originally used all still exist but all of the details about the original product are completely impossible to find. the entire internet has completely routed

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Paradoxish posted:

extremely impressive timing and decision making to absolutely maximize how hard you get hosed

What do you mean real estate agents have been telling their buyers rates will be going down to 2 percent in the second half of this year for the last 2 years. Any day now.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

The whole point of this garbage was to generate SEO content and almost everything else is just a happy coincidence that plays nicely with investor story time. Humans were already creating SEO content at a rate sufficient to gently caress everything up, so the searchable internet was effectively dead the moment this stuff made it into the wild.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

The whole point of this garbage was to generate SEO content and almost everything else is just a happy coincidence that plays nicely with investor story time. Humans were already creating SEO content at a rate sufficient to gently caress everything up, so the searchable internet was effectively dead the moment this stuff made it into the wild.

I can't even find government websites (via search, I mean, I know how to get government data the "hard" way by going direct) that would have the data, only regurgitated third parties that are just completely confabulating data.

Like look at this: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1072339/average-home-size-canada-timeline/ It's just outright, obviously wrong in half a dozen different ways. Garbage through and through.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I've been using Yandex more recently too. Sometimes it's the only way I can find anything. It doesn't really matter that Google has better English indexing if it just returns garbage.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The only upside to all this is that it's accelerationism at its finest and it's going to gently caress with the internet ad ecosystem in really unpredictable ways.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Xaris posted:

lol layoffs for an hiring HR platform

layoffs at walmart too today

the airbnb knockoff, vacasa popped 800 people. rivian another 120 people on friday

Walmart’s hiring like crazy lately so it’s kind of weird they’re doing layoffs, too bad they’re in bentonville Arkansas and now they’re pulling evening back to offices to please bad managers.

Get hosed and good luck attracting top talent.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Get hosed and good luck attracting top talent.

programmers are glutted now, companies did enough learn2code that even skilled and very experienced sdes are getting desperate if they need work

which was the point

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

programmers are glutted now, companies did enough learn2code that even skilled and very experienced sdes are getting desperate if they need work

which was the point

I keep saying

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

The Oldest Man posted:

which was the point

There’s jobs out there that don’t require moving to a poo poo state like Arkansas.

Walmarts website is garbage, way worse search than Amazon which also sucks now too.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Azrial posted:

No it rules, pretty much any time someone talks to me about interest rates they are quoting the projection of the national association of realtors. Making financial decisions based on the trade group of the absolute dumbest motherfuckers in the economy.

I remember getting a 5 year ARM when I bought a house in the middle of 2008. At that time it was just to shave a bit off the rate to help counteract PMI (I only had 10% down).

I especially liked when they started rolling out all the various programs when I went to refinance, and BofA was just a big fat “gently caress you peon” on the program. My broker found another big bank (I think Citi) that had a better rate, but wanted more PMI money. So it ended up being a wash in my monthly payment, but I didn’t have to deal with BofA, or have the ticking time bomb of an ARM over my head.

Wonder what kind of means tested bullshit will be put out there to prop up the landlords, that might allow some regular people to sneak in. Assuming real estate is a bubble that actually pops, and isn’t forcibly ejected into space somehow.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

poemdexter posted:

nothing better than sitting on the porch drinking coffee with a iv drip hanging off the planter hook.

Ages ago, in Tijuana, they had these guys outside of the bars with these big boxes hanging around their necks - think of organ grinders. But instead of music, they were hand-cranked generators. As you left the bar, if you were a bit too borracho, for a few pesos you could grab the electrodes and they would shock the holy gently caress out of you and return you to sobriety. Of course it didn't work that way but it was pretty funny to line up with your pals and get zapped into another dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

the popes toes posted:

Do an image search for "Nike" and tell me how many images of shoes you got before the greek goddess. Any inferences about the intellectual condition of society is railing at clouds, sure, but good god are we hosed.

why did they name a greek goddess after a shoe brand?