Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SplitSoul posted:

Two people were arrested for trying to smuggle a truck full of dead, infected mink out of Denmark.

Send them to the Hague to answer for crimes against humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SplitSoul posted:

Two people were arrested for trying to smuggle a truck full of dead, infected mink out of Denmark.

lmao, smuggle them to where and do what with them?
is anyone even still buying COVID mink skins?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Helith posted:

lmao, smuggle them to where and do what with them?
is anyone even still buying COVID mink skins?

To skin and sell them allegedly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blatman posted:

that sore spot in your throat means you are now invincible and immortal, some restrictions may apply

The sore spot is SKULL.GIF's Achilles heel, they are invincible unless struck in that spot

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

this guy is suppose 2 b a smart guy??

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgHXHtHSsNo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The mink mutation is going to rock the vaccine efforts. No way it stays contained.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Eh, they’re saying vaccines should be fine. The only thing affected is monoclonal antibody therapy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shipon posted:

can american states even lock down borders or is that something the courts would immediately strike down as unconstitutional

its illegal to close the province borders of canada, but they did it anyway :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shipon posted:

can american states even lock down borders or is that something the courts would immediately strike down as unconstitutional

Unless you can point to an amendment that bars them from doing it I imagine the tenth amendment would make it unconstitutional to stop them. But IANACL

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Chamale posted:

America is within a week of getting a day with more coronavirus deaths than 9/11 had terrorism deaths

wow surely that will bring people to their senses

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Unless you can point to an amendment that bars them from doing it I imagine the tenth amendment would make it unconstitutional to stop them. But IANACL

closing the border would be regulating interstate commerce, which only the federal government is allowed

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this was me a few months ago. my beard is longer now

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Facebook Aunt posted:

e:f,b. gently caress it, Imma post anyway.

I like the Honeywell North designs because the way the exhalation valve on the bottom sticks out makes it a little easier to cover with cloth to provide a polite amount of exhalation filtration for your filthy breath. A rubberband should work to hold a bit of cloth or filter material. When I was looking around they also seem a few dollars cheaper than the 3M masks with similar features. They are both perfectly respectable companies so I'm not sure why.

I haven't tried it myself, but if you need to talk a lot at work the Honeywell North® RU8500 Half Mask has a speech diaphragm that makes it easier to be understood. You should be able to find this one for around $60 plus filters. This one is hard to find in stock though.

https://www.honeywellsafety.com/Products/Respiratory_Protection/Honeywell_North%C2%AE_RU8500_Half_Mask.aspx

If you don't need to talk much and want to save a few bucks (or you can't find the 8500 in stock anywhere) the Honeywell North 7700 Series Half Mask seems good. It's silicone to make it comfortable to wear all day. This is the one I ordered, it hasn't come yet. Widely available for around $40 plus filters.

https://safety.honeywell.com/en-us/products/by-category/respiratory-protection/air-purifying-respirator-apr/7700-series-half-mask

If you are poor as hell and/or only need it for short trips, the Honeywell North 5500 Series Half Mask may be right for you. Shop around and you should be able to find this one for around 20 bux plus filters. It's basically the same design as the 7700, but is made with cheaper elastomer instead of silicone.

https://safety.honeywell.com/en-us/products/by-category/respiratory-protection/air-purifying-respirator-apr/5500-series-half-mask

You'll also need filters. I ordered the 7580P100 particulate filter. P100 is as good as it gets, and I liked the hard cartridge protecting the filter. They also have P100 pancake filters which don't stick out so far if you need to stick your head in tight spaces. The P100 filters seem to run around $20 a pair, but there is a ton of variability in price.

When shopping, look around a bit. I found that amazon had higher prices than some other online retailers, probably from assholes buying up anything cheap and relisting it "at what the market will bear". Amazon also has a problem with counterfeits, there are a lot of reviews from folks who say they got fake filters. Or opened filters. :stare:

The established industrial/scientific supply stores aren't jacking up prices as much, and have long-term supply lines for genuine products. Maybe I'm naive, but they seem less likely to gently caress over their customer base for a quick buck than an anonymous reseller on amazon or a fly-by-night pandemic specialty shop.

Good post, thanks. :) Added to the respirator megaquotepost

snake and bake has issued a correction as of 11:53 on Nov 14, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rutibex posted:

this was me a few months ago. my beard is longer now

Shave it off, it will gently caress with the seal on a respirator

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Shave it off, it will gently caress with the seal on a respirator

i plan to shave if i ever get caught on camera in a spicy situation

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rutibex posted:

i plan to shave if i ever get caught on camera in a spicy situation

Ooh I'm the opposite. If I'm ever going to commit **crimes** in a situation where I might be caught on camera I'm going to wear a prosthetic chin over my beard, then if the cops catch up to me they'll go "Well he can't have grown a full beard overnight, this can't be our guy!!"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ooh I'm the opposite. If I'm ever going to commit **crimes** in a situation where I might be caught on camera I'm going to wear a prosthetic chin over my beard, then if the cops catch up to me they'll go "Well he can't have grown a full beard overnight, this can't be our guy!!"

:hmmyes:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not sure if it's been said but Oregon is shutting down for two weeks again starting on the 18th of nov

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nice and hot piss posted:

I'm not sure if it's been said but Oregon is shutting down for two weeks again starting on the 18th of nov

shutdowns works best when you give everyone a few days to get their infections in before hand

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1327481868200124416?s=21

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rutibex posted:

shutdowns works best when you give everyone a few days to get their infections in before hand

I’ve consulted with Corona and she’s totally in agreement that she’ll go away completely if you don’t go to bars and restaurants after 10pm each night for a couple of weeks. Oh, and she’ll totally give you thanksgiving and Christmas off too.
So, that’s nice.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

the lump in your throat is the development of the venom glands, it's a rare side effect of covid, but can be projected up to 25 feet

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

seems bad

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

is this what the 4chan kids mean when they say "learn to code"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sir, I am a gamer.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

“please stay at home”

“no”

“well i tried”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sig by Heather Papps

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

is this on prime?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Platystemon posted:

Muslims do it all the time.

Young children are exempt from the fast, but high schoolers can absolutely go without drinking for eight hours in a climate‐controlled environment.

Is this actually a good idea? Nah. Shut it down.

It is, however, much less of a bad idea than letting the poor babies have their snackies because otherwise the terrorists malignant chemistry wins.

Also high school wrestlers. The drinking is way harder but it's not a big deal to not eat til the end of the school day once you're in high school or a teacher. People just won't acknowledge that because they love talking about being hangry

Nice and hot piss posted:

"She will limit all bars and restaurants to takeout only, close all gyms, restrict indoor and outdoor gatherings to no more than six people from two different households, limit capacity at grocery stories and pharmacies, and allow churches and faith groups to accommodate indoor crowds no larger than 25."

That's not a shutdown , illinois has had that for weeks

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Nov 14, 2020

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

SKULL.GIF posted:

• my sense of smell is like 50% back, from 0% 12 days ago
  • I still have this sore lump in my throat when I swallow hard
  • I got really hosed up tonight working a 4 hour rush at work and I'm really worn out and am probably going to bed soon

aside from that I feel normal/healthy/etc

Really glad you are feeling so much better. Hope that last bit ends really soon and you'll have managed to recover with a relatively minor case.

Enjoy your time now with active plague antibodies!!

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

This is going to happen everywhere when the health care folks are all burned out

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

im going completely crazy about all the chud "why contain it" takes. like southeast asia has managed to pretty much lock it down, what the gently caress are they doing that we arent, besides "literally anything"

Don't try suggesting going back to lockdowns and stimulus on r*ddit ever if you value your sanity.

Actually wait yes do suggest them lol it's hilarious how utterly furious people get

Actually wait never go on r*ddit it's a stupid place and i'm a stupid idiot for going there

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

snake and bake posted:

This is going to happen everywhere when the health care folks are all burned out

Imagine it would take only a few months of 100K+ daily cases to break the US medical system.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

it's weird to me that utah is in the news and supposedly has worse numbers currently than mississippi because I just went from one to the other and there is a massive, unbelievably huge difference between the way the two places are treating it, at least where I was to where I am. In mississippi ALMOST NOBODY wore their masks correctly. In mississippi maybe 10% of employees at gas stations or fast food places were wearing masks AT ALL. Here, EVERYONE is wearing masks. I have seen 3 people in this state not wearing masks so far. When we've called to order food from places, before they hang up they very explicitly say 'remember, you have to have a face covering on over your mouth and nose or you will not be served.' We've walked by people who went out of their way as if they were sure we had the plague to be nowhere near us. It's so vastly different that it's impossible to overstate. But Utah is in the news like this, and Mississippi is listed as one of the states trending better. It is absolutely loving insane how hard mississippi is committing fraud and suppressing the real statistics, and I think that is the only real difference.

Utah has a mono-culture if the church says to do a thing they will do the thing

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

etalian posted:

Imagine it would take only a few months of 100K+ daily cases to break the US medical system.

you would give it Months?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

etalian posted:

It's not already broken? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Holy poo poo, this scathing editorial in the British Medical Journal

Covid-19: politicisation, “corruption,” and suppression of science

quote:

When good science is suppressed by the medical-political complex, people die

Politicians and governments are suppressing science. They do so in the public interest, they say, to accelerate availability of diagnostics and treatments. They do so to support innovation, to bring products to market at unprecedented speed. Both of these reasons are partly plausible; the greatest deceptions are founded in a grain of truth. But the underlying behaviour is troubling.

Science is being suppressed for political and financial gain. Covid-19 has unleashed state corruption on a grand scale, and it is harmful to public health.1 Politicians and industry are responsible for this opportunistic embezzlement. So too are scientists and health experts. The pandemic has revealed how the medical-political complex can be manipulated in an emergency—a time when it is even more important to safeguard science.

The UK’s pandemic response provides at least four examples of suppression of science or scientists. First, the membership, research, and deliberations of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) were initially secret until a press leak forced transparency.2 The leak revealed inappropriate involvement of government advisers in SAGE, while exposing under-representation from public health, clinical care, women, and ethnic minorities. Indeed, the government was also recently ordered to release a 2016 report on deficiencies in pandemic preparedness, Operation Cygnus, following a verdict from the Information Commissioner’s Office.34

Next, a Public Health England report on covid-19 and inequalities. The report’s publication was delayed by England’s Department of Health; a section on ethnic minorities was initially withheld and then, following a public outcry, was published as part of a follow-up report.56 Authors from Public Health England were instructed not to talk to the media. Third, on 15 October, the editor of the Lancet complained that an author of a research paper, a UK government scientist, was blocked by the government from speaking to media because of a “difficult political landscape.”7

Now, a new example concerns the controversy over point-of-care antibody testing for covid-19.8 The prime minister’s Operation Moonshot depends on immediate and wide availability of accurate rapid diagnostic tests.9 It also depends on the questionable logic of mass screening—currently being trialled in Liverpool with a suboptimal PCR test.1011

The incident relates to research published this week by The BMJ, which finds that the government procured an antibody test that in real world tests falls well short of performance claims made by its manufacturers.1213 Researchers from Public Health England and collaborating institutions sensibly pushed to publish their study findings before the government committed to buying a million of these tests but were blocked by the health department and the prime minister’s office.14 Why was it important to procure this product without due scrutiny? Prior publication of research on a preprint server or a government website is compatible with The BMJ’s publication policy. As if to prove a point, Public Health England then unsuccessfully attempted to block The BMJ’s press release about the research paper.

Politicians often claim to follow the science, but that is a misleading oversimplification. Science is rarely absolute. It rarely applies to every setting or every population. It doesn’t make sense to slavishly follow science or evidence. A better approach is for politicians, the publicly appointed decision makers, to be informed and guided by science when they decide policy for their public. But even that approach retains public and professional trust only if science is available for scrutiny and free of political interference, and if the system is transparent and not compromised by conflicts of interest.

Suppression of science and scientists is not new or a peculiarly British phenomenon. In the US, President Trump’s government manipulated the Food and Drug Administration to hastily approve unproved drugs such as hydroxychloroquine and remdesivir.15 Globally, people, policies, and procurement are being corrupted by political and commercial agendas.16

The UK’s pandemic response relies too heavily on scientists and other government appointees with worrying competing interests, including shareholdings in companies that manufacture covid-19 diagnostic tests, treatments, and vaccines.17 Government appointees are able to ignore or cherry pick science—another form of misuse—and indulge in anti-competitive practices that favour their own products and those of friends and associates.18

How might science be safeguarded in these exceptional times? The first step is full disclosure of competing interests from government, politicians, scientific advisers, and appointees, such as the heads of test and trace, diagnostic test procurement, and vaccine delivery. The next step is full transparency about decision making systems, processes, and knowing who is accountable for what.

Once transparency and accountability are established as norms, individuals employed by government should ideally only work in areas unrelated to their competing interests. Expertise is possible without competing interests. If such a strict rule becomes impractical, minimum good practice is that people with competing interests must not be involved in decisions on products and policies in which they have a financial interest.

Governments and industry must also stop announcing critical science policy by press release. Such ill judged moves leave science, the media, and stock markets vulnerable to manipulation. Clear, open, and advance publication of the scientific basis for policy, procurements, and wonder drugs is a fundamental requirement.19

The stakes are high for politicians, scientific advisers, and government appointees. Their careers and bank balances may hinge on the decisions that they make. But they have a higher responsibility and duty to the public. Science is a public good. It doesn’t need to be followed blindly, but it does need to be fairly considered. Importantly, suppressing science, whether by delaying publication, cherry picking favourable research, or gagging scientists, is a danger to public health, causing deaths by exposing people to unsafe or ineffective interventions and preventing them from benefiting from better ones. When entangled with commercial decisions it is also maladministration of taxpayers’ money.

Politicisation of science was enthusiastically deployed by some of history’s worst autocrats and dictators, and it is now regrettably commonplace in democracies.20 The medical-political complex tends towards suppression of science to aggrandise and enrich those in power. And, as the powerful become more successful, richer, and further intoxicated with power, the inconvenient truths of science are suppressed. When good science is suppressed, people die.