Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

GramCracker posted:

Like, it just looks bat-poo poo insane.

I guess it doesn't need intercoolers because you'll be dead before IATs get too hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Citroën created the best suspension system in the 1950s, and they've been improving it ever since :france:

(Ignore the marketing-speak, and watch how the wheels move over rough surfaces)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2q03XZugwg

The level of comfort in a C6 or the latest C5 is ridiculously good. Like Rolls-Royce good, at a fraction of the price.

I want to see them test it like this. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cSIwUNW1s

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

travisray2004 posted:

All I can think of is maintenance costs on that drat thing.

It's actually not that bad. The green spheres need to replaced once in a while. They can be reused pretty much infinitely as long as you inspect the rubber diaphragms and recharge them with nitrogen, which is something even the village smith or local tinkerer can do. A popular modification is to fit them with a schrader valve, which many enthusiasts do on older cars.

Other than that, it's a relatively standard hydraulic system, with the usual assortment of valves, pressure sensors and such. The newer versions are computer-controlled, but the basic principle is the same as it was 60 years ago. The electronics are no worse than on any other modern car.

The biggest gotcha is actually remembering to use the correct hydraulic fluid for the system, since they've had 3 or 4 different kinds by now, but the correct type is very clearly indicated in the manual, and usually on the filler cap as well.

It's weird, French and different, but it is literally nothing compared to say the timing chain on an Audi V8. And that'll kill the car when it eventually fails, a busted hydropneumatic suspension will just make you uncomfortable until you fix it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

jamal posted:

I guess it doesn't need intercoolers because you'll be dead before IATs get too hot.

The venturi effect created by the carburetor actually drops the IAT by over 100f, which is why blow-through setups rarely ever have intercoolers and still manage to not explode whenever you look at the gas pedal.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Terrible Robot posted:

The venturi effect created by the carburetor actually drops the IAT by over 100f, which is why blow-through setups rarely ever have intercoolers and still manage to not explode whenever you look at the gas pedal.

It's a swamp cooler with gasoline instead of water!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait, what kind of blowers are those? I expected roots type but that looks more like an impeller style setup :aaa:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDay5OWDPn4

quote:

The Black Knight Transformer is a "flying truck" that combines the best aspects of a helicopter and an automobile. It is a robust and inexpensive aircraft that can perform autonomous casualty evacuation and cargo

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 8, 2014

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Wait, what kind of blowers are those? I expected roots type but that looks more like an impeller style setup :aaa:
Paxton / centrifugal.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

torque is a lift generating device

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Falken posted:

Part of my brain still doesn't want to accept the stance crowd,
Only part?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
There is too much hellaflushedness

And there's just the right amount

edit: holy gently caress tables

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KozmoNaut posted:

It's actually not that bad. The green spheres need to replaced once in a while. They can be reused pretty much infinitely as long as you inspect the rubber diaphragms and recharge them with nitrogen, which is something even the village smith or local tinkerer can do. A popular modification is to fit them with a schrader valve, which many enthusiasts do on older cars.

Other than that, it's a relatively standard hydraulic system, with the usual assortment of valves, pressure sensors and such. The newer versions are computer-controlled, but the basic principle is the same as it was 60 years ago. The electronics are no worse than on any other modern car.

The biggest gotcha is actually remembering to use the correct hydraulic fluid for the system, since they've had 3 or 4 different kinds by now, but the correct type is very clearly indicated in the manual, and usually on the filler cap as well.

It's weird, French and different, but it is literally nothing compared to say the timing chain on an Audi V8. And that'll kill the car when it eventually fails, a busted hydropneumatic suspension will just make you uncomfortable until you fix it.

So comparatively speaking, it's a lot more reliable than something like the Range Rover air suspension?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

VikingSkull posted:

torque is a lift generating device

And here I though it was the induction causing something of a vacuum on the atmosphere pulling it off of the ground.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

And here I though it was the induction causing something of a vacuum on the atmosphere pulling it off of the ground.

the hilarious thing is you can tell he's making GBS threads bricks, the butterflies are closed

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

xzzy posted:

I want to see them test it like this. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cSIwUNW1s

I'm sure this has been posted here numerous times, so once more won't hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4JQTG634Wc

Skip to 3:20 for some suspension punishing action

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
this has apparently been hiding behind a fence up the street from me for a while :stare:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Is...is that a loving Hammer? Gotte in Himmel.

E; ehh, maybe not a Hammer but still a classic old AMG hot rod.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm guessing C43 with an 80s-esque coke dealer body kit option.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

AI posted:

Poor Mercedes identification

It's the AMG 190E.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

blk posted:

It's the AMG 190E.

I am eternally shamed

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

atomicthumbs posted:

this has apparently been hiding behind a fence up the street from me for a while :stare:

Wait a minute, you're in Marin aren't you? Mind PM'ing me the location of this thing? I'm getting the terrible project bug again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ Do it!

travisray2004 posted:

So comparatively speaking, it's a lot more reliable than something like the Range Rover air suspension?

Yes.

But then again, a moist towelette in a bush fire is more reliable than basically anything on a modern Range Rover.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Turn up your speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeX9mPoC8j0

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

God dammit you beat me to it. I love that video.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Blacked out 190E AMG's with monoblock wheels are the best Mercs.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

God dammit you beat me to it. I love that video.

The best is the swap from alcohol to nitro. You got greybeard feeling when it's time with his bare hands, and it's the perfect way to scare a chick who's never seen a nitro car. I did that to one of my ex's at a car show, she caught a nitro cloud plus the sound.

I don't think she got it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

VikingSkull posted:

The best is the swap from alcohol to nitro. You got greybeard feeling when it's time with his bare hands, and it's the perfect way to scare a chick who's never seen a nitro car. I did that to one of my ex's at a car show, she caught a nitro cloud plus the sound.

I don't think she got it.

It's for the best.

And yes, the cutover is the best part of that video. You guys need to stick around for that if you closed the video early.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That video owns forever.

Someone mentioned Kammbacks in the terrible thread, and that led me to discover this:

The AMC Eagle Kammback.

It's a 4-wheel-drive Gremlin.

\/Implying the Gremlin isn't rad? :colbert:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 8, 2014

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
What is it with AMC cars that you add 4WD and raise them a few inches and they go from bland to rad as poo poo? .....Actually, this is true for any car now that I think about it. Now I want a first gen Legacy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It could be the "big eyes" effect, you know how in cartoons when they make the eyes of a kid or animal really big they're instantly super cute.

It's just the car version of that, it kind of looks like a hot wheels which I'm sure we all spent large chunks of our youth obsessing about.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
If you didn't spend most of your youth drawing monster truck civilian/sports cars, you need a time machine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

If you didn't spend most of your youth drawing monster truck civilian/sports cars, you need a time machine.

There was a couple years a buddy and I spent drawing exotic sports cars on index cards, we called them "Ferariat" or something like that. I don't remember the exact spelling anymore, but we were obsessed with Ferrari and obviously had to work that into the brand somehow. They were fairly well detailed, with cutaways showing suspension design and engine placement and so on. None of it would have worked in the real world but at least we tried!

So yeah, typical kid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Just gives you the warm and fuzzies, don't it?

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

InitialDave posted:

Everything about that is typical of the type.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Came home a couple of weeks ago to find a tow truck outside my apartment complex in the process of loading up a car that had parked outside the garage doors.

I had to stop for a moment and bask in the schadenfreude.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

InitialDave posted:

$152 isn't nearly enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Collateral Damage posted:

Came home a couple of weeks ago to find a tow truck outside my apartment complex in the process of loading up a car that had parked outside the garage doors.

I had to stop for a moment and bask in the schadenfreude.

That just happened on Sunday in my complex. Some new tenants had a huge party and blocked two whole rows of garages. Most of them moved their cars but come noon Sunday there were still 3 or 4 blocking garage doors and the owners were nowhere to be found. That is, nowhere until the cars were already loaded up and leaving. Lots of yelling, swearing and physical threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009