Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Invictus posted:

Grandpa, what were the central days of the internet like?

Well billy, a subset of the populace had a habit of hiding a man's gaping, horrific anus in everything they could, using his wedding ring as a secret signifier to others that that was indeed what they were looking at
It was a simpler, more innocent time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'll take hiding goatse in things over cryptonazis, frankly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

FirstAidKite posted:

Can you explain to me what about that isn't able to be scaled out? I'm not asking because I don't believe you or anything, I believe you, I just know nothing about actual beekeeping and beekeeper hives short of what you'd see on a How It's Made type video so idk anything about the logistics involved with beekeeping.

It's way too expensive first of all. Just one honey super (the box beekeepers take honey from) is over $400. Beehives will often have between 2 and 6 supers on them EACH. Most people maintain an apiary of a minimum of 2 hives and it isn't uncommon to have a dozen or more. Thats thousands of dollars for the flow hive, even if it did actually reduce work. To put that in perspective a full hive, with 2 brood boxes, 2 supers, the top and inner cover, bottom board, and a bunch of other stuff is around $200 or less on its own, and a wooden super and frames is more like $30-$60 each for a traditional one depending on some aesthetic and material choices you make.

The other main problem is it's not actually helping or fixing anything. The whole selling point is that harvesting honey is now easy and you don't have to disturb the bees to get it. The truth of the matter, though, is that you still have to go in the hives all the time for health checks, to move frames around, to move supers around, to find the queen, etc. You also need to make sure the queen isn't laying in the supers or you'll end up with hundreds to thousands of bee pupae in your honey. Also, with this equipment, if you take honey without checking first you could end up taking all of their honey and just forcing your bees to starve. It's lazy beekeeping at its worse.

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, just picturing that this face is your face while you're looking at the kickstarter lol

lol

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
TG kickstarter thread 3: Shut up and take my honey

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This is maybe only Kickstarter-adjacent but Erika Chappell's twitter (of Flying Circus) just went protected which is a bit disappointing because I periodically browse it to see the in-progress art and rules updates which come quicker than they do on the Kickstarter page itself. Did something lovely happen?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

This is maybe only Kickstarter-adjacent but Erika Chappell's twitter (of Flying Circus) just went protected which is a bit disappointing because I periodically browse it to see the in-progress art and rules updates which come quicker than they do on the Kickstarter page itself. Did something lovely happen?

One of the replies is 'sorry about assholes' so probably, although obviously I can also only get one side of the conversation as well.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

No clue what happened specifically, but Erika has been recovering from a nasty concussion recently. Hopefully everything smooths out for her.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ok, so I know "stretch goals" in big money kickstarters are largely bogus and are mainly just rolled out to keep a campaign's buzz/momentum going, but when they part out content like this:

Would they actually send out half a character, or a third of a campaign, or some other form of incomplete content if they miscalculate and that's where the funding ends up?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Moon Monster posted:

Ok, so I know "stretch goals" in big money kickstarters are largely bogus and are mainly just rolled out to keep a campaign's buzz/momentum going, but when they part out content like this:

Would they actually send out half a character, or a third of a campaign, or some other form of incomplete content if they miscalculate and that's where the funding ends up?

Perhaps the "upgrade" simply refers to the quality of the materials used to make the cards?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If they miscalculated a campaign that badly they would just cancel and restart it later.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

If they miscalculated a campaign that badly they would just cancel and restart it later.

To be clear, those stretch goals are for an expansion. Still, I don't know how you would release an expansion with some of the characters only half finished. Awaken Realms has had a lot of trouble with Kickstarter in the past, so I'm not touching this project.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I've been kinda wondering that myself, but considering the momentum on that thing I don't think there's any chance of that being where the funding ends up.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, I've been kinda wondering that myself, but considering the momentum on that thing I don't think there's any chance of that being where the funding ends up.

Having been part of their last few kickstarters, they usually try to tailor it as they seem funding get close to the end, so that people get as much out of their money as possible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oh yeah, I think they generally look at the funding trends and plan things such that that doesn't happen. But if they screwed up would they just say "Welp, here's one quarter of a campaign for you to gaze at wistfully and ponder what might have been."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Moon Monster posted:

Oh yeah, I think they generally look at the funding trends and plan things such that that doesn't happen. But if they screwed up would they just say "Welp, here's one quarter of a campaign for you to gaze at wistfully and ponder what might have been."
I'm sure there are options that these campaigns have in case they miscalculate stretch goals like that. Most likely they'd say "we'll also count the money raised by late pledges in the pledge manager" and then later say they made the necessary goal. Alternately, they could offer the remaining missed stretch goals as add-ons.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Probably in this case they'd wait until like an hour before the KS ends and then cancel it, and make up some spurious reason for doing so. Then re-launch it later with 'adjusted goals' and the like.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

Probably in this case they'd wait until like an hour before the KS ends and then cancel it, and make up some spurious reason for doing so. Then re-launch it later with 'adjusted goals' and the like.

You really think so? I feel like they'd be guaranteed to make less money on the relaunch if they pulled something like that.

The options JazzFlight mentioned sound more likely to me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
They'll just up the price slightly on the reprint Kickstarter.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Silent Titans really slammed into their maximum pledge level limit fast. They were wise to limit it. I can’t imagine trying to fulfill twice the expected number of orders.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Erika's back to retweeting old anime and posting about game design now.

Please be nice to her!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LatwPIAT posted:

Erika's back to retweeting old anime and posting about game design now.

Please be nice to her!

Sweet, thanks. Posting actual laid out pages as previews now which is pretty rad.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Anyone got thoughts on the Tainted Grail KS? I've got a friend who wants to go halvsies on it, but I haven't really done the whole Big Money Kickstarter thing before.

Any big warning signs on this one? No secret fascism hiding under the surface there that I didn't notice?

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 21, 2018

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Go RV! posted:

Anyone got thoughts on the Tainted Grail KS? I've got a friend who wants to go halvsies on it, but I haven't really done the whole Big Money Kickstarter thing before.

Any big warning signs on this one? No secret fascism hiding under the surface there that I didn't notice?

The English rulebooks for the publisher's prior games have sucked very badly, does not bear well for a story based game. I'd stay far away.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Obviously they're not native English speakers but their FAQ says "We’re taking extra care writing and editing this game, and we use dedicated native proofreaders. The prototype was shown to many respected industry professionals and reviewers, and they thought the writing was excellent. But don’t take our word on it - you're welcome to review provided work-in-progress samples of the Rulebook and Exploration Journal yourself!"

YMMV, but I certainly didn't notice any glaring issues in the sample rulebook.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/they-came-from-beneath-the-sea-a-tabletop-roleplay

A 1950s B movie RPG put out by Onyx Path, using its system. Sounds interesting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Storypath is what the new Scion uses, right?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

Storypath is what the new Scion uses, right?

Yes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Torg Eternity: Nile Empire has about five hours left, with a bunch of digital stretch goals and previous books/box sets available as add-ons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

edit: sorry mispost

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Just thirty minutes left for the Nibiru RPG kickstarter :) if you like hard sci-fi and themes of memory and identity... this is the game for you!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1459616119/nibiru-a-science-fiction-rpg-of-lost-memories

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Crud, I missed it, hopefully they do a BackerKit or something.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Can someone explain to me what “The Fantasy Trip” is?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DalaranJ posted:

Can someone explain to me what “The Fantasy Trip” is?
Early 1980s fantasy RPG, published by Metagaming, designed by Steve Jackson, been out of print for 35 years or so.

A very good design (GURPS is in a lot of ways an evolution of the system).

I'm probably not backing the KS because...I still have all my books.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Moon Monster posted:

They’re making so much money on that they’ll just release the complete thing I’m sure. They did that with Nemesis where the stretch goals got them a 20 page bonus campaign but they ended up providing an 80 page one anyway.

Speaking of that I got Nemesis yesterday and it’s really well produced with quality components and the component trays are engineered to fit everything in the core set neatly after you punch out the counters. They also provided a bunch of free swag. The rule book has a few super minor issues that, quite honestly, a native speaker probably would have made too.

The system seems pretty simple enough although brutal. I look forward to giving it a shot. As I said when I backed it, if nothing else I’ll adapt Task Force Games Intruder rules and have a gorgeous version of that.

The minis are really, very nicely designed and produced, although they did have a mould issue with the Soldier and some have a bad sculpt (and mine is affected) but they sent out a proactive email about it and will be replacing them.

Really, I’m very happy I backed this. I think Awakened Realms has handled it quite well.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Speaking of that I got Nemesis yesterday and it’s really well produced with quality components and the component trays are engineered to fit everything in the core set neatly after you punch out the counters. They also provided a bunch of free swag. The rule book has a few super minor issues that, quite honestly, a native speaker probably would have made too.

The system seems pretty simple enough although brutal. I look forward to giving it a shot. As I said when I backed it, if nothing else I’ll adapt Task Force Games Intruder rules and have a gorgeous version of that.

The minis are really, very nicely designed and produced, although they did have a mould issue with the Soldier and some have a bad sculpt (and mine is affected) but they sent out a proactive email about it and will be replacing them.

Really, I’m very happy I backed this. I think Awakened Realms has handled it quite well.

Nemesis is the only KS that I've regretted not backing. The somewhat sexist outfits of the female characters combined with their defense, "some women like to dress sexy...." pushed me away, but hearing how well they pulled off the Alien(s) experience has me hoping for a KS reprint, with revisions and stuff.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Patrick Stuart's Silent Titans KS is wrapping up soon. In all honesty, I'm not totally sold on the setting (based on his blog posts about it), but backed anyway since everything else he's done has been gold (and he doesn't work with Z*c anymore, which is nice).

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

BinaryDoubts posted:

Patrick Stuart's Silent Titans KS is wrapping up soon. In all honesty, I'm not totally sold on the setting (based on his blog posts about it), but backed anyway since everything else he's done has been gold (and he doesn't work with Z*c anymore, which is nice).

I backed the hell out of this once they revealed the very reasonable shipping rates to the UK. Can't wait to get this gorgeous hardcover in the post and not have to pay way over the odds for once!

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Nemesis is the only KS that I've regretted not backing. The somewhat sexist outfits of the female characters combined with their defense, "some women like to dress sexy...." pushed me away, but hearing how well they pulled off the Alien(s) experience has me hoping for a KS reprint, with revisions and stuff.

PM me. I'm waiting on their "One-Wave shipping" or "wait til everything is produced and sent as one cargo container" - So I can still add another pledge to my cart (I just checked).

I've helped out goons in the past for (essentially free), just as long as you can pay shipping from me to you when the pledges arrive.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

kinkouin posted:

PM me. I'm waiting on their "One-Wave shipping" or "wait til everything is produced and sent as one cargo container" - So I can still add another pledge to my cart (I just checked).

I've helped out goons in the past for (essentially free), just as long as you can pay shipping from me to you when the pledges arrive.

Haha I genuinely appreciate the offer, but I'll have to pass. I was just idly musing, I'm not really that upset passing it up. I have no doubt Nemesis will come back to KS with all the good press it's been getting and if it doesn't I won't be too miffed. Thanks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FMguru posted:

Early 1980s fantasy RPG, published by Metagaming, designed by Steve Jackson, been out of print for 35 years or so.

A very good design (GURPS is in a lot of ways an evolution of the system).

I'm probably not backing the KS because...I still have all my books.

If you want a very rules-light RPG and appreciate the "roll 3d6 under a number" style of game, look at TFT, it;'s what you want..