Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Jerry SanDisky posted:

just use eclipse for everything

sounds like an answer a poor would give

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jerry SanDisky posted:

just use eclipse for everything

and this is why you fail

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
use emacs for everything
respect free beer

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I use sublime text for all scripting languages unironically

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
as well you should because sublime text is the best

its like if you removed all the awful sperg from vim and years of setting your stupid config file and then still not being able to just select a bunch of lines and copy between files

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

gucci void main posted:

http://www.jetbrains.com/specials/index.jsp

jetbrains' stuff is 75% off today. i don't know how good most of it is but it's still a big sale.

everyone should buy webstorm. especially if you do Java Script or node.js stuff. it will help you make the gooood java script code at lightning fast speeds. and then the code will be lightning fast as well (runnig on the powerful V8 engine by google)

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
is there any reason to buy any of the standalone python/ruby/js stuff when its all available as plugins to IDEA?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

barbarianbob posted:

everyone should buy webstorm. especially if you do Java Script or node.js stuff. it will help you make the gooood java script code at lightning fast speeds. and then the code will be lightning fast as well (runnig on the powerful V8 engine by google)

is this mostly sarcasm or is it legitimately decent cause $12 is cheap

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

gucci void main posted:

if youre a Professional JavaScript Developer with a love for nodejs like me, then yes its unironically good.

its really only for nodejs tho. if you want to do js with some other server side thing, than get some other jetbrains product

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

barbarianbob posted:

if youre a Professional JavaScript Developer with a love for nodejs like me, then yes its unironically good.

its really only for nodejs tho. if you want to do js with some other server side thing, than get some other jetbrains product

when you say node are you including anything closely linked to it (express/backbone/etc) or just node itself

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gucci void main posted:

i am not aware of a better javascript dev environment, unless you're the kind of person who enjoys spending hours and hours setting up a bunch of ctags in vim instead of just paying $12.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also y'all should be aware that Idea includes pycharm, webstorm and the php thing as well. Basically buy Idea is my advice.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean that was also my advice when it cost $200, so now that it costs $50 it's still my advice.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i dont think i want any of those things

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

i dont think i want any of those things

i dont want them either, but i need them. :(

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You never go full web dev

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

0xB16B00B5 posted:

You never go full web dev

easy work ,pays well, only programmers ive ever seen w/ groupies (almost wrote groupon there, lol)

works on my machine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

also y'all should be aware that Idea includes pycharm, webstorm and the php thing as well. Basically buy Idea is my advice.

ty

debating buying the .net profiling stuff but i've never tried them before

anybody know if they are any good?

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

easy work ,pays well, only programmers ive ever seen w/ groupies (almost wrote groupon there, lol)

works on my machine

nah its cool i putter around with d3.js all day making pretty charts and its pretty slick

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

I bought Idea, and was offered Pycharm as an additional purchase. They didn't say it was free or included with Idea. (I bought it anyway.)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

prefect posted:

I bought Idea, and was offered Pycharm as an additional purchase. They didn't say it was free or included with Idea. (I bought it anyway.)

lovely deal :(

i got IDEA, R#, and AppCode. skipped the profilers for now, but i think i'll try the demos at work next week and get them to spring for them if they help at all.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i got idea and imported my eclipse projects. rotor what have you done to me

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
there is a c++ plugin :woop:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Eclipse: Not Even Once

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
work wants me to learn java and android

lets go

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
don't question it, don't give me poo poo, it is what it is and i'm going to work with it and learn all i can.

priority 1 is java itself i don't know poo poo right now other than it's a language with really wordy poo poo that runs in a VM or something?

whats the dummies book and ide

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
shitPostFactoryFactory

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
IDEA does Android and seems much nicer than Eclipse for it. there are a million free tutorials for everything you will ever want to do in java

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
imagine an awful slow language thats been replaced by the infinitely better c#

also imagine a telephone that literally has application crashes and task managers on it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

work wants me to learn java and android

lets go

java owns. eclipse owns. android is probably ok to develop for if you target whatever the current flagship phone is and ignore the others.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Shaggar posted:

java owns.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

java owns. eclipse owns. android is probably ok to develop for if you target whatever the current flagship phone is and ignore the others.

i will be developing exclusively internal apps for our customer on locked down hardware like this with a custom chopped up android release with all the BS taken out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats cool cause targetting one device will be easier. on the other hand, they may have a pile of custom crap that they've made that they're gonna want you to use. but maybe that pile of crap could be good?

either way its a good way to break into other stuff and make a name for you're self.

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

Jonny 290 posted:

i will be developing exclusively internal apps for our customer on locked down hardware like this with a custom chopped up android release with all the BS taken out

Ahh Java, compile once debug everywhere.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually java runs flawlessly cross platform unless ur doing dumb poo poo like hardcoding platform specific paths or if ur using jni.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anybody know anything about Rhodes

it got mentioned

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

prefect posted:

the language specific ones are nice because they remove all the "ok what KIND of project do you want?" and "oh i noticed you have .java files here, do you want to add a java facet to this project?" stuff that adds cognitive overhead.

i mean it's $12 who fuckin cares.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jerry SanDisky posted:

i got idea and imported my eclipse projects. rotor what have you done to me

i have made you better.

Jerry SanDisky posted:

there is a c++ plugin :woop:

it's lovely. look at who made the plugin. if it's jetbrains, it's good. If its someone else, proceed with caution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

actually java runs flawlessly cross platform unless ur doing dumb poo poo like hardcoding platform specific paths or if ur using jni.