Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The anti-wwe crusade deserves a better posting champion than Tony Khan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

If I had a Time Machine I’d use it to get front row tickets to Forbidden Door 2 and bring a sign that says “Ow My Balls”

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If I had a Time Machine I’d probably go back to the early-mid 90s, go to one of those Warner Brothers stores they had in malls, and buy a bunch of Looney Tunes and Batman stuff. Would probably invest some stock in Apple or make some sports bets too. Wrestling related stuff probably wouldn’t cross my mind.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

boys with a time machine: nooo tony don’t hire colt cabana

At the time I thought it was stupid to hire Colt cause he is a jobber with no value or upside at this point and if they wanted to hire Punk it would be a problem, but Punk would have melted down eventually so it's a wash

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They hired Colt in like early 2020 and I don't think Khan had started talking to Punk until quite a bit later in the year. Although I'm sure they wanted him since day one, so.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

colt cabana having no upside in AEW isn’t true, he had a 1.5-star match with jericho that was booked to spite punk where he almost died because he decided to wrestle in compression socks

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I liked Colt being the Tom Cruise of the Dark Order. That was fun.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Doom doom cult cabana was a lot of fun

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He was a perfectly fine television jobber and he's had a pretty meaningful impact on indie wrestling so I dunno giving him a job was probably fine? Apparently he tried to talk to Punk and Punk rebuffed him. Which on some level I kind of get because Colt sued him for a million dollars, which is kinda hosed up.

I dunno. They're both kinda assholes in different ways.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cool how the bucks have sidelined the entire tag title division

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This isn't the Bucks' fault. Tag division has been an afterthought since around the time the trios belts were introduced. Which are also now an afterthought.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Colt can do jobs when needed, train/coach people effectively, and has a lot of insight into marketing/promotion. He's also a good example of someone having good, or at least fun, matches in a relatively low-impact style. He's definitely someone I'd keep around.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Can't blame them for the trios division though :smug: all according to plan, heh

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I will not slander the Bucks/Elite or Jericho because they're the only acts to change things up in the last year or two.

(Toni Storm is included in this but she doesn't catch much hate, so no disclaimer needed.)

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

CombineThresher posted:

Colt can do jobs when needed, train/coach people effectively, and has a lot of insight into marketing/promotion.

well one of these things is definitely true and observable but aew already has 500 jobbers

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What division?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

someone a while ago listed loads of tag teams that hadn't been built up at all and i think at the time people were like "hmmm not sure" , one of them though was private party and that got me thinking how obviously they've been around since day 1 and have done sweet gently caress all. they were never necessarily world tag title material but tony never tried with them. maybe it was injuries but liek when they were around, they were good. same with a lot of teams. dunno. too many singles belts in this dying fed

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's wild that right now Chris Jericho is the FTW champion because 4 years ago Jon Moxley caught COVID.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

CombineThresher posted:

Colt can do jobs when needed, train/coach people effectively, and has a lot of insight into marketing/promotion. He's also a good example of someone having good, or at least fun, matches in a relatively low-impact style. He's definitely someone I'd keep around.

There's a ton of those guys and none of them have sued the big star I wanted to get for my promotion and would be a deterrence to his hiring and possibly employment because he is a huge baby

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

someone a while ago listed loads of tag teams that hadn't been built up at all and i think at the time people were like "hmmm not sure" , one of them though was private party and that got me thinking how obviously they've been around since day 1 and have done sweet gently caress all. they were never necessarily world tag title material but tony never tried with them. maybe it was injuries but liek when they were around, they were good. same with a lot of teams. dunno. too many singles belts in this dying fed

They were not good and Tony did try with them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

UnleashedDad posted:

There's a ton of those guys and none of them have sued the big star I wanted to get for my promotion and would be a deterrence to his hiring and possibly employment because he is a huge baby

that big star was going to be a cancer, colt or no colt.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Probably but it might have been delayed long enough for them to squeeze more money out of him.

Like the reason the timing of Cry Me a River sucked so bad is because it let Punk go back to WWE right in the middle of the TV negotiating period for both companies. Granted, Punk was fully trying to force his way out of the company at that point so it might not have mattered.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I liked Private Party before Dogshit Matt Hardy pulled them into his dipshit vortex.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My two favorite acts in pro wrestling are CM Punk and the Young Bucks. It's a sad and lonely place to be but somebody needs to bear the burden of having the best possible taste in pro wrestling.

Wish it was Punk instead of Darby at Anarchy. Oh well. Not meant to be I suppose. Missed opportunities. I blame Tony, then Punk, then the Bucks, in that order.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I liked Private Party before Dogshit Matt Hardy pulled them into his dipshit vortex.

Quen needs to go back to the gear with the weird tailcoat look

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Private Party needs to go back to the first theme.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah that was better too

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

It's wild how everything Private Party were doing* when they debuted was better than everything after.

*Silly String excluded. That move has always sucked.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I like Private Party but they've been bad since the pandemic.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Silly string rules actually

If they just went back to the debut look and music but kept Isiah’s comedy shrieking spots they’d be onto something

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Private Party are also on the list of Tag Teams that never get any momentum cause one or the other is always injured at all times.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

MJeff posted:

They were fun in CZW but it's clear they have a ceiling and they just haven't really been able to go further than it, and as much as it pains me it's basically this yeah. Zay was fun in the Firm Deletion and he's a great job guy but I just don't think the team will ever be much. And that's fine, really, nothing wrong with being a lower card tag team! I just personally wish they were...y'know, better.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

UnleashedDad posted:

Sounds like the huge baby is the problem and not the other guy, then.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Drakkel posted:

Private Party are also on the list of Tag Teams that never get any momentum cause one or the other is always injured at all times.

See also: Top Flight (who also needs to improve their look)

Tony fell into the booking crutch of "tag guys can take singles losses" and it buried the division.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

See also: Top Flight (who also needs to improve their look)

Tony fell into the booking crutch of "tag guys can take singles losses" and it buried the division.

that is Dax's fault for wanting to wrestle singles he will pay dearly for it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem with Private Party and Top Flight tag teams is they have moments were you go "Oh they're gonna be real good" and than you have moments where they just seems lost in the ring. Like Dante Martin in the 8 man scramble on PPV looks lost in places

AEW young talent needs more work and I'm kinda of shocked the talent or Tony hasn't tried to get them on like short Japan or CMLL tours to try and get them more work

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

SatoshiMiwa posted:

AEW young talent needs more work and I'm kind of shocked the talent or Tony hasn't tried to get them on like short Japan or CMLL tours to try and get them more work

I wonder if dealing with visa bullshit has cooled them off on talent excurisons.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

where is AR FOX…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

panko posted:

where is AR FOX…

possibly the first time anyone has ever asked this question