Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willbutt
Mar 5, 2016
https://willfor.itch.io/you-were-promised-a-jetpack

So I kind of hate this, but it may be because I had to cut so much from it because I've been so busy this month. On the plus side, during the creation of this game I was inspired to begin work on another game that is absolutely nothing like this one! But that I feel confident that I might be able to do given some things I learned about working in 2D. And actually, to be fair, I really like how I put the visuals of this game together in a sort of shadow-box formation using an orthographic camera. Taught me a few things about working with layered 2D objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
A heads up to those that have a game that absolutely require judges to use the public version (IE: I Need Help), do not update your game after the jam end date or modify ANY files on your server until after the winners have been announced.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Please understand.

Grandfathered In is complete. We apologize for any inconvenience you may be caused by playing it.

We hope that it is an enjoyable experience for you!

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/grandfathered-in

Edit: Grandfathered In was inspired by Long Live the Queen and Harold Krell's Polar Adventure. It's a visual novel where you choose what areas grandpa should study, with cutscene events playing out differently based on your statistics.

I thought it would be a pretty simple gameplay concept for our team, as we'd never made a game before. However, obviously, nothing is ever simple.

All in all, i'm pretty proud of what we put together! I hope you like it.

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 1, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Minutes away from submitting, brother wants to give it a go, I decide to see if the saving system works on other computers and he gets to the last stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5dDb5wkKfQ

I fixed it. I think. I hope.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
gently caress it, we're calling off our entry. Our artist got stressed out / had real life stuff come up, so we've got a pile of ugly graybox that I'm waaaaay too lazy to fill with ugly programmer art just because.

I await my doom. Take me now, Wall of Shame.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JonTerp posted:

A heads up to those that have a game that absolutely require judges to use the public version (IE: I Need Help), do not update your game after the jam end date or modify ANY files on your server until after the winners have been announced.

Server files are fixed in place, good to know how long I need to leave them that way. :)

Also, if anyone wants to play I Need Help, I'll be on for a while to serve as the second player.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 1, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Story Time with Grampum Peepumpop is submitted!

At some point in the future, somebody play it, please enjoy it. I'm tired.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

My golf game, Chip-it-in Golf, is completed!

Awful Jams page: http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/chip-it-in-golf
itch.io page: https://aforeffort.itch.io/chip-it-in-golf

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Giggs posted:

Story Time with Grampum Peepumpop is submitted!

At some point in the future, somebody play it, please enjoy it. I'm tired.

I like this, but I managed to bounce straight up-and-down off a peg forever and had to quit :(

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

WEW I'm all done and submitted now! Pretty happy with how it turned out, I would loved to have jammed in a couple extra mini games but I think I need a nap now.

Jam page for #JustGrandpaThings here

Public itch.io page here

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
We're done!

Jam Page: http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/back-in-my-day-2

Public version of our entry: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5v3XUug3XohTDJwVE9VUmktQ3M (contains both 32 and 64-bit Windows versions)

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 1, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Takanago posted:

My golf game, Chip-it-in Golf, is completed!

this is really nice. like i would buy this if it was a buyable game on phone/tablet

edit: one thing i forgot to say about the birding game is OH GOD THE PUNS, SO MANY PUNS

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 1, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

ALFbrot posted:

I like this, but I managed to bounce straight up-and-down off a peg forever and had to quit :(

What kind of Pachink™ was it? It should be impossible, as every Pachink™ spawns with a rotational force applied to it so that that exact thing doesn't happen. Also I didn't post it anywhere yet, but you can restart any level by presseing F7 to enable debug poo poo and hit "R" to restart it.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 1, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

WrathOfBlade posted:

THAT POKEYMAN THING YOUR GRANDKIDS ARE INTO has been submitted!

Yesss I finished it somehow! It's not quite what I wanted it to be, and god only knows how many bugs got past the ~0.5 days I dedicated to testing, but it's kind of a minor miracle that I was able to accomplish as much as I did given all the setbacks.

Huge thanks to Weird BIAS for coming through with a super catchy soundtrack in the 11.5th hour. Also to Afal for helping out with some testing, etc.

I loved this! Somehow missed three on my pokeydex, though :(

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

WEW I'm all done and submitted now! Pretty happy with how it turned out, I would loved to have jammed in a couple extra mini games but I think I need a nap now.

Jam page for #JustGrandpaThings here

Public itch.io page here

This is dope but I think "alarm clock noise" should be banned from all media forever

Giggs posted:

What kind of Pachink™ was it? It should be impossible, as every Pachink™ spawns with a rotational force applied to it so that that exact thing doesn't happen. Also I didn't post it anywhere yet, but you can restart any level by presseing F7 to enable debug poo poo and hit "R" to restart it.
I'm not sure I know what you mean. It was in the "tell us about g-ma" segment, and I let it bounce for 40+ seconds before giving up :-/

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Grandpa's Great Escape is now submitted. Help a team of dementia-ridden grandpas escape from their hallucinations of wartime imprisonment!

edit: Just open sourced the GitHub repo: https://github.com/protocol114/AwfulJam2016

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 1, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

ALFbrot posted:

I'm not sure I know what you mean. It was in the "tell us about g-ma" segment, and I let it bounce for 40+ seconds before giving up :-/

Was it a circle or one of the other types is what I meant, but I assume by your response it was the default circle one.
I can't believe that's possible. Honestly. I've played through that dang thing dozens of times and never managed to do that, the only explanation I can think of is that you managed to bounce and negate the exact momentum while somehow also landing square on the exact center of the top of a peg.

I was all geared up to be bummed but it feels like you managed some JFK-esque miracle shot.

I'm going to believe that, anyways.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Sneaking Mission has been submitted with a few hours to spare. :shobon:

Space = Next screen + next dialog + answer call.
WASD = Move.
Enter = Skip codec. (You probably shouldn't do this.)

SHINDRAGON I'M SO SORRY FOR THIS SHITPILE YOU WERE GREAT, THOUGH.

bamboopuppy
Jul 18, 2005
I finished my 3rd game jam game: Grandpa's Home

It's a 3D fps where you try to inherit your grandpas gold while exploring his house, and uncovering his dirty secrets. Also it's multiplayer!

Come play with me, the public download link is on the game page http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/grandpas-home

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

I loved this! Somehow missed three on my pokeydex, though :(

Thanks!! I should note that there are 2 "event Pokeymen" who can't be caught in normal gameplay and must be obtained through special events at participating Gamestop locations (or maybe I just forgot to stick them in the game, whoops :doh:)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

http://systemlogoff.com/media/games/GamesForKnuckleheadsJam.zip

Game is as done as I'll get it. There's not as much minigames or polish as I would like, but it's still pretty good for the time I had this month.

Please right-click to see my easter eggs on the title and settings menus. :3:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
So after scrapping our original idea we ended up with a small weekend project to get something out of the month. Ended up wrapping up but unfortunately didn't have time to complete most of the features that would of made the game more interesting. Still pretty happy with the end result even if it's pretty generic in the end. I certainly miss having the extra free time that being unemployed provided.

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/rx-mania

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Just released Old Men, Playing to Rule the World
https://zeekner.itch.io/old-men-playing-to-rule-the-world
http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/old-men-playing-to-rule-the-world

It's pretty short, the minigames I planned on didn't really grab me so I refocused on story and cutscene animation. I had a lot of fun, but I'm definitely going to come up with a more gameplay heavy game for my next jam.

From a technical perspective, I'm really blown away by how well BabylonJS/WebGL worked out. I didn't run into any serious technical limitations or performance issues while working on this. It still pales in comparison to any professional game engine, but I'll definitely do future game jams with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Protocol7 posted:

Grandpa's Great Escape is now submitted. Help a team of dementia-ridden grandpas escape from their hallucinations of wartime imprisonment!

edit: Just open sourced the GitHub repo: https://github.com/protocol114/AwfulJam2016

This is quite a bit like ours :ohdear: :

Lowen SoDium posted:

I present to you:

A game from Team Nerd Bullet.

Special thanks to Rupert Buttermilk for providing excellent music.

Download here

Awfuljams page here

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Grandpa GO is submitted and ready for ruthless judgement.

The whole team had a ton of things come up the entire month that pretty much torpedoed getting any real work done until the last 4-5 days :v: So of course what we ended up with is not quite as complete as we wanted. I wasn't even able to properly rig up Grandpa's arms :(

But, it's playable, and doesn't soft-lock within a minute of starting up like our last one (Unity physics :argh: ). Hope you guys enjoy it, and good luck to everyone who submitted!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Looks like we ran out of disk space on our server, jam will be extended by 24 hours while we sort this out.

If you got stuck uploading, chill out and keep an eye on our twitter for updates @AwfulJams

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

JonTerp posted:

Looks like we ran out of disk space on our server, jam will be extended by 24 hours while we sort this out.

If you got stuck uploading, chill out and keep an eye on our twitter for updates @AwfulJams

Of all the times my file managed to upload quickly it was the one where I would have had time to iron out the bugs :(
Well, I'll have a better public version at least, even if the Gong Show one is probably not gonna be pretty.

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
I ended up cutting a considerable amount of ideas to make it to the end, but I finished!

It's a walking simulator about napping in chairs, shopping for coffee and also some other stuff, and you get it here.

Kingel
Aug 24, 2006

V-fib is a game! :toot:

Jam page

Download (Win32)

It's a short rhythm game of sorts where you have to keep grandpa (yourself) alive while he watches TV so he can get through all the channels.

I wanted to flesh out the gameplay and graphics a bit more, but ended up cutting a bunch of things. I probably should have gone with lower resolution for the graphics since there was no way I'd have time to both code the game and polish the art. In previous jams I've either only made graphics or made something very low-res that didn't take much time, so it was a bit trickier to balance the time spent this time.

Themaister made all the cool music and sound effects and also helped with porting. However, we weren't able to produce a web build that worked with sound. The Windows port should run OK in Wine, but I'll probably also package up the Linux build at some point.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Shalinor posted:

gently caress it, we're calling off our entry. Our artist got stressed out / had real life stuff come up, so we've got a pile of ugly graybox that I'm waaaaay too lazy to fill with ugly programmer art just because.

I await my doom. Take me now, Wall of Shame.

Was popping into thread to say congrats to everyone who finished. This was the first post I see. Aye. That sucks about your artist :-/

I guess congrats to everyone else tho!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So is the only uploading once thing just how the site is built or is it a deliberate rule? It seems a bit unfair if those who were submitting at the last second but were unsuccessful get more time to polish/add to their game but the people who succeeded in uploading at the same time don't get to use it. Then again, actual game development is anything but fair so can certainly understand that.

Ok I'm done whining now sorry

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is quite a bit like ours :ohdear: :

Looks like Grandpas escaping from nursing homes is going to be this year's "Racing games missing cars".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

WrathOfBlade posted:

THAT POKEYMAN THING YOUR GRANDKIDS ARE INTO has been submitted!

Yesss I finished it somehow! It's not quite what I wanted it to be, and god only knows how many bugs got past the ~0.5 days I dedicated to testing, but it's kind of a minor miracle that I was able to accomplish as much as I did given all the setbacks.

Huge thanks to Weird BIAS for coming through with a super catchy soundtrack in the 11.5th hour. Also to Afal for helping out with some testing, etc.

Man, that was great. But reaaaally should have ended with a shuffleboard minigame at the end. The biting social commentary was solid.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 1, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

TheOrange posted:

So after scrapping our original idea we ended up with a small weekend project to get something out of the month. Ended up wrapping up but unfortunately didn't have time to complete most of the features that would of made the game more interesting. Still pretty happy with the end result even if it's pretty generic in the end. I certainly miss having the extra free time that being unemployed provided.

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/rx-mania

Don't worry about it being generic. Oftentimes generic pharmaceuticals are exactly what grandpas want and need. Also, match-three games are crack to me. Looking forward to playing this one after work.

Mo_Steel posted:

Alright, calling it done!

UPHILL BOTH WAYS

Had a lot of fun learning the UE4 Blueprint system for the first time and playing with the mechanics; this game is way beyond anything I've made for this jam before in terms of scope / scale / detail. Huge thank you to anyone who offered feedback, suggestions, or playtested the game.

I'll be announcing my picks for the prizes I offered earlier in thread after the Gong Show.
However, I did play through Uphill Both Ways twice (second time to get the third coin I missed the first time) and I really enjoyed the snowball portion. I do think I need to go lay down with my eyes closed for a few hours, though.

edit: Also, for anyone not following @AwfulJams on twitter, uploading is re-enabled

TodPunk
Feb 9, 2013

What do you mean, "TRON isn't a documentary?"

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So is the only uploading once thing just how the site is built or is it a deliberate rule?

If you haven't yet, check your submission status again, you may be one of the ones that was known broken and thus fixed. If not, get on slack and ask in #support for help/clarification.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hi Jammers!

I played every single game with a public build available and wrote down some brief thoughts on each.

Click to read

Good job everyone who got a game in!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Uh... regarding Cloud Yeller.
The idea for the flashback sequence was that The cloud consumed/killed/ate grandma, not that grandpa did something bad.

In retrospect, I can see that people might be getting the wrong impression there though :|

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Ooh that makes a lot more sense! It seemed like a weird ending haha.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

So is the only uploading once thing just how the site is built or is it a deliberate rule? It seems a bit unfair if those who were submitting at the last second but were unsuccessful get more time to polish/add to their game but the people who succeeded in uploading at the same time don't get to use it. Then again, actual game development is anything but fair so can certainly understand that.

It's a deliberate rule and if your upload didn't break you will not be allowed to resubmit.

Consider this extra 24 hours as an extension of the upload grace period.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Will there be a published itinerary for the Gong Show like there was last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Will there be a published itinerary for the Gong Show like there was last year?

Absolutely. Just waiting for the jam to officially close to compile the list and book guests.

• Locked thread