Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Easiest way to find out is in the note app. It lets you peek? into notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, so I knew the 5S was the free iPhone now that the 6S is out, but I didn't know the free one was the 16GB model. Isn't the free one traditionally 8GB? All that shows up on the Apple Store site is 16 and 32.

I'm going with my mom this weekend to upgrade her from the free 8GB 4S to the free 5S (because she's against paying money for a phone), and I told her she wouldn't get any more storage space with this one if she upgraded to that model, but I guess she will if that's the case.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, so I knew the 5S was the free iPhone now that the 6S is out, but I didn't know the free one was the 16GB model. Isn't the free one traditionally 8GB? All that shows up on the Apple Store site is 16 and 32.

I'm going with my mom this weekend to upgrade her from the free 8GB 4S to the free 5S (because she's against paying money for a phone), and I told her she wouldn't get any more storage space with this one if she upgraded to that model, but I guess she will if that's the case.

I think 16GB became the base storage with the 5.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So when I'm riding anyway to start GPS purely through Siri without having to hit the confirmation button on the route? I've tried things like "star navigation" etc

Mine usually starts navigating after I've been driving a few moments without pressing anything to confirm. Not sure if there's a distance/speed trigger.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

enojy posted:

I think 16GB became the base storage with the 5.
Oh awesome. She'll be happy about this, and I'll be happy I don't have to hear that she doesn't have any space left on her phone all the time :v:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Anyone else using the new "Antique Rose" color on WatchOS 2? Matches very nicely with the phone.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I have an iPhone on T-Mobile. Just got a 6s. What do I do before turning it on? Do I transfer old sim to new phone or do I have to activate the sim card that came with the new phone?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I just picked up my phone from an Apple store and they gave me the option to not include Applecare when using the new Apple Upgrade plan, so the cost for me was truly just the cost of the phone at 0% over the next 24 months (plus tax). Pretty nice, I didn't realize that was going to be an option. Fingers crossed I don't run into any sort of catastrophe with it, but since I used my Amex for the purchase, I should have some sort of damage coverage I think..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EDIT: Figured it out.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 25, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Mine usually starts navigating after I've been driving a few moments without pressing anything to confirm. Not sure if there's a distance/speed trigger.

Hmm could be a distance thing maybe I didn't give it enough time. Maybe you have to be moving for a bit? I'll try it again next time

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 things that would piss me off more if I was new to the whole iPhone experience.

1) In setup my keypresses/screenpresses. (Confirmation dialog boxes, keyboard) would lock up for like 10 seconds between each keystroke.

2) I know server load today and all, but Updating iCloud Settings has been doing it's thing for OVER 30 minutes. Just stuck there.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

GobiasIndustries posted:

So I just picked up my phone from an Apple store and they gave me the option to not include Applecare when using the new Apple Upgrade plan, so the cost for me was truly just the cost of the phone at 0% over the next 24 months (plus tax). Pretty nice, I didn't realize that was going to be an option. Fingers crossed I don't run into any sort of catastrophe with it, but since I used my Amex for the purchase, I should have some sort of damage coverage I think..

So you still get to upgrade after 12 months? I saw that option but I want AppleCare this time around so I didn't ask about it.

I had a flawless experience today, 2nd in line and first out at 8am. We had to go through the process 3 times but my loan was approved every time. First was not getting sales tax exemption on the order then I hosed up and shut the pos device off. The 6s Plus is gigantic but I have tons of screen space now. Just need to adjust to the keyboard and figure out how to use force touch.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone bought via the iPhone upgrade program while they're still locked to a carrier due to a 6 purchased on 2 year subsidy? (Verizon if possible.). Curious if this is an option - it seems like it should be.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
disregard this post, wrong issue

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Enderzero posted:

I have an iPhone on T-Mobile. Just got a 6s. What do I do before turning it on? Do I transfer old sim to new phone or do I have to activate the sim card that came with the new phone?

Just swap the card. Why call if you don't have to? T-Mobile customer service is the worst. Save the new one just in case, but I cannot imagine they want you to switch cards.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ddogflex posted:

Just swap the card. Why call if you don't have to? T-Mobile customer service is the worst. Save the new one just in case, but I cannot imagine they want you to switch cards.

I'm sure it's bullshit but the T-Mobile rep told me I had to to get better performance on band 12.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

ddogflex posted:

Oh I agree I just wasn't sure how it works. Saw some older posts on other forums that said using an old sim card didn't allow apple pay to work. I don't know if that is wrong or just inapplicable to the latest phone. I wasn't sure if you have to upgrade to a new sim card every time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Enderzero posted:

Oh I agree I just wasn't sure how it works. Saw some older posts on other forums that said using an old sim card didn't allow apple pay to work. I don't know if that is wrong or just inapplicable to the latest phone. I wasn't sure if you have to upgrade to a new sim card every time.

Your SIM doesn't have anything to do with Apple Pay, the secure element is onboard the device and not in the SIM.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Enderzero posted:

Either or.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

kitten smoothie posted:

Your SIM doesn't have anything to do with Apple Pay, the secure element is onboard the device and not in the SIM.

Yeah I assumed it was incorrect, but literally nothing came with the phone (except for a pre-installed sim card, but I assume that's for people who bought it and need to set up service) and this is the first time I've ever upgraded from an older iPhone to a new iPhone.

Edit: Bottom marking on sim cards - old one says something like 55.05, new one says 60.10 - anyone know what that represents?

Edit 2: Thanks, everybody.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
For the guy asking about failing apple upgrade program. Went in with my wife to get her a phone. It failed on my name and credit card twice. We used my wife's name and her version of the same credit card and it went through. Not sure if that's a credit thing or not because we both have great credit. *shrugs*

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

Refresher for retiring an iPhone. Am I missing any steps?

1) Disable find my iPhone
2) Log out of iMessages
3) Sign out of iTunes
4) Sign out of iCloud

That's all of them, right?

We seem to be getting to a point where there just needs to be a "nuke everything" button.

Reset All Content And Settings. (quick)

Or just Restore in iTunes. (long, forced OS update.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've tried restarting my 6S+. No matter what I do I get stuck for (over an hour now... Probably closer to two) on Updating ICloud Settings.

Anyone else? Thoughts on how to resolve/get past?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm surprised that the DND mode hasn't been updated to be more fine tuned. Like during the week I don't wanna be bothered from 11pm to 6am but on the weekend I'd like to have more like 2am to 9am or something like that. I remember the last time I used the scheduled DND mode I kept missing calls and texts from people asking me where I was sitting at the bar or whatever.

Now that you can choose what the silent switch does I'm surprised that one of the options isn't DND.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
The bigger size & speed of the 6S+ rules, coming from a 5S. I planned to use the Apple leather case bc I'm afraid of dropping it, but I can't get the 3D touch app switcher to work well with a case on. Now I'm thinking I might just pay for Applecare+ and go caseless. Thanks for listening to my story.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Glumwheels posted:

So you still get to upgrade after 12 months? I saw that option but I want AppleCare this time around so I didn't ask about it.

That's my understanding; I still went through the Citizens Bank loan process, it's still a 24-month 0% interest loan, I just don't have the Applecare coverage after the 1st year I suppose. The guy in the store described it as the same thing just without Applecare protection so I guess worst case scenario if it isn't, I'll just do what I've always done and sell my phone myself after paying off the loan.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I was worried about 3D touch being too sensitive but even on the lightest setting it feels like I have mash my finger into the phone to really get it to pop.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question about the iCloud family thing: is iCloud space shared as well? I just got a an iphone as work phone and while they let me use my account apple account to handle/manage apps and purchases, I want to keep the iCloud aspect separate (mainly just the photo library since almost everything else is handled by Exchange). I figured I can just make an iCloud account for work and mooch off my main's account iCloud space but if I can't I guess the 5 free gigs should be good enough for a while.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there an easier way of disabling low battery mode than going into settings?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

TinTower posted:

Anyone else having weird zooming issues with Wallet?

Yes, plus a few other apps seem to be in 'zoomed' mode (Apple Watch is one). Haven't figured out a solution yet. I think it's likely an artifact of restoring from an iPhone 5S backup (that was my old phone).

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Pissflaps posted:

Siri, which I believe is just now finally ready for prime time :)

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Siri is pretty fast

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

grahm posted:

The bigger size & speed of the 6S+ rules, coming from a 5S. I planned to use the Apple leather case bc I'm afraid of dropping it, but I can't get the 3D touch app switcher to work well with a case on. Now I'm thinking I might just pay for Applecare+ and go caseless. Thanks for listening to my story.

I thought I couldn't get the app switcher to work with a case on either but I was wrong. Basically touch as close as you can to the edge of the phone (it's fine if some of your thumb overhangs the case) and then apply some pressure. After a little bit, the active app should move to the side and other apps should pop out under it. Without letting go, either swipe rapidly to the right to switch to your last used app or do a slow slide to open the multitasking view. If you're in a app that uses a swipe gesture, you may see it start to activate–ignore it, it won't actually perform the gesture.

Occasionally the multitasking attempt will fail but I'd say that it's working 24/25 times with a bit of practice. I'm sure that Apple will release an update perfecting the gesture in a week or two.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My 6+ runs like poo poo on iOS 9.0

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

89 posted:

My 6+ runs like poo poo on iOS 9.0

Yup. Laggy, and the rotational issues are out of goddamn control.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Why the gently caress did I order with Best Buy I'm a goddamn moron.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

Why the gently caress did I order with Best Buy I'm a goddamn moron.

Its not just Best Buy :(

This is what I get for living in lovely Canada.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My backup failed to restore on to my new phone, said it was incompatible for some reason even though they were both on 9.0. Oh well. Setting it up as a new phone was fine, synced all my contacts and my music and my apps, just had to re-arrange my home screens again and log in to all of my apps.

I wonder, should I leave "Hey, Siri" on? I feel like if it's always listening that would be a battery life killer, but I don't know how the feature is implemented, maybe it only listens in certain situations?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Are the 6+/6S+ dimensions the same? Can I use accessories for the 6+ on the 6S+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No it's like .1mm thicker

http://www.imore.com/new-iphone-6s-thicker-heavier-and-stronger-old-iphone

Likely things will still fit. Don't know til you try I guess.