Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
on BB chat, found this browsing yesterday. Uh i'm BB#1 fan here but this is honestly kind of ridiculous even if you allow for it being a t7 v t10 matchup. 10-20k through the front of a nagato with HE is an obscenity even given the yamato's calibre and winning a 1v4 through pure retard strength is kind of stupid. Like I'm pretty sure 4 competent ISes can take an IS-7 in an open field brawl without too much trouble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFm1xsECGc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I know the Furutaka is being buffed next patch, but holy poo poo. I mean, I found the Kawachi annoying and the South Carolina only slightly less so, and US destroyers at least had some fun in the guns even if killing stuff with torpedos was an adventure in pain, but I can not imagine grinding through the Furutaka at the moment. It's a god drat battleship in cruiser clothing, with none of the good and all of the bad. I can't even kill destroyers, I think they can power through a smoke cooldown in less time than it takes to fire 10 rounds. Am I a big baby or what, because I see people complaining about the grinds through some ships I found workable if annoying, whereas the Furutaka seems like I'd be better served spending my time finding random people to kick me where it really hurts.

Edit:
Just realized there was a whole bunch of Furutaka angst on the last page as it was.

nessin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 17, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yaay posted:

that new mexico is cooler than you will ever be

I like the New York, but the number of times I've been evaporated by a New Mexico's guns pretty much no matter how I'm angled has convinced me I really loving want one.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

Listen to me say "basically" a lot and learn some bad tactics for US (and maybe even IJN) DDs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeE6gjc_hj8

Helped me out a lot, did 2 open water rushes on lone battleships in the same game and destroyed one outright from 60% and the other did about 70% before he killed me, but he flooded out. A+ would watch again.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I found my groove with the furutaka when i stopped trying so hard to juke with it and went for broadsides. It's best against enemy cruisers that aren't paying attention to you and terrible against cruisers that are. I don't think it's that great against DDs because of the reload. You get every gun on point of where you want it well in advance and do the battleship thing of lead with one, salvo the rest and then worry about dodging while you relaod. The shots are flat and fast so it's really easy to dial in citadels. The 203s can occasionally go through myogis and sometimes kongos too, but otherwise doing 4-5k worth of HE to a battleship's deck is surprisingly doable until you get too close and you start hitting the belt/guns at too flat an angle.

Night10194 posted:

I like the New York, but the number of times I've been evaporated by a New Mexico's guns pretty much no matter how I'm angled has convinced me I really loving want one.

yeah i'm not going up the US line but the difference in 'keep the gently caress away' between a new york and a new mexico is massive

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Night10194 posted:

New Mexico best tier 6. It is a complete beast. I have 108k xp on my elited New Mexico just because I love playing it so much and its my credit grinding ship. Now if only I had the gold to convert it into free xp.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 18, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

demonR6 posted:

Dear FOG_SomaliPirate,

Thank you for contacting us back.
We apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

Our management team has gotten back to us on this matter and your clan should now be working correctly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Etc etc fluff and other please contact us stuff.

Post what you sent them, sorry I was not clear.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Check PM's

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, do not try the open water sprint on a New Mexico, they do not put up with that bullshit. Minimizing profile and starting close in, every single one of his bullets hit me dead on and killed my poor Nicholas in one volley.

New Mexicos don't gently caress around with anything.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
If I sell a ship, and later buy it again, do I have to re-buy the modules?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Had some nice runs with Sporks running triple Minekazes. We either did terrible (Ocean) or did well (other maps). Running Destroyers in a division and staggering smoke can be very powerful if you coordinate it well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gasoline posted:

If I sell a ship, and later buy it again, do I have to re-buy the modules?

Assuming you're talking about the actual modules you buy that are separate from what you research, yes. In fact, you HAVE to sell them along with the ship when you go to sell it unless you happen to want to spend doubloons to demount them. If you're talking about the various hulls and such, no.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I hear all the pain coming from you guys using the Furutaka, but somehow that ship has cast some kind of drunken haze glamour on me or something, I cannot aim at that ship correctly to save my life. I've wasted many many games throwing countless ineffective salvos at Furutakas, somehow I'm always shooting too short or too long at them.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 18, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

yaay posted:

on BB chat, found this browsing yesterday. Uh i'm BB#1 fan here but this is honestly kind of ridiculous even if you allow for it being a t7 v t10 matchup. 10-20k through the front of a nagato with HE is an obscenity even given the yamato's calibre and winning a 1v4 through pure retard strength is kind of stupid. Like I'm pretty sure 4 competent ISes can take an IS-7 in an open field brawl without too much trouble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYFm1xsECGc

On one hand, certain tier differences are pretty bad (carriers seem the main culprit), but on the other hand, the Yamato was designed specifically to take a big poo poo on older, smaller battleships. And the Nagato and New Mexico are both WW1-era battleships, both rebuilt in the 30s. 8 inches of armor isn't stopping poo poo.

Not to mention, those four players kind of sucked. The Nagato has 16 inch guns that could have penetrated the Yamato broadside, especially at knife-fighting distances. But he kept shooting HE. The Sims didn't use his guns at all, when a barrage of destroyer HE could have made a huge difference in that battle. Yes, the New Mexico is probably hosed, but he shouldn't have uptiered himself in a division then.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

TheDemon posted:

On one hand, certain tier differences are pretty bad (carriers seem the main culprit), but on the other hand, the Yamato was designed specifically to take a big poo poo on older, smaller battleships. And the Nagato and New Mexico are both WW1-era battleships, both rebuilt in the 30s. 8 inches of armor isn't stopping poo poo.

Not to mention, those four players kind of sucked. The Nagato has 16 inch guns that could have penetrated the Yamato broadside, especially at knife-fighting distances. But he kept shooting HE. The Sims didn't use his guns at all, when a barrage of destroyer HE could have made a huge difference in that battle. Yes, the New Mexico is probably hosed, but he shouldn't have uptiered himself in a division then.

The New Mexico never brought his full guns to bear after the initial rush either, he just kept coming head on into the Yamato. The only bullshit I saw in the whole thing was how insane the secondaries were to the destroyer, but it was a Sims and to be fair both the T9 and T10 US destroyers can launch from out of secondary range (although not by much on the T9). That and HE did way to much freaking damage even accounting for 460mm cannons, especially on the Nagato.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Yamato HE is about 2430 damage each time it hits light armour, so 4 hits is almost there already, and he gets 7. Hits after the target dies aren't counted and only one splashes so he might have even hit the Nagato 8 times. His rear turret would have hit belt or superstructure for zero or half damage, but it didn't look like the Nagato's bow was damaged and he did aim low, so he could potentially have got 6 full damage hits to the bow for 14.6k total. For comparison Nagato is getting about 2170 damage for HE vs light armour so it's not particularly outrageous.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Could the Yamato have citadeled the Nagato from the front?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Not with HE. :)

Defending against AP most ships had a bulkhead across the front of the citadel with around the same armour thickness as the main belt, the trouble in game is at close range as you cross the T you have to fire your front guns early and your rear guns late otherwise you risk having too high an impact angle. It's also a much smaller target from the front of course.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Scikar posted:

Yamato HE is about 2430 damage each time it hits light armour, so 4 hits is almost there already, and he gets 7. Hits after the target dies aren't counted and only one splashes so he might have even hit the Nagato 8 times. His rear turret would have hit belt or superstructure for zero or half damage, but it didn't look like the Nagato's bow was damaged and he did aim low, so he could potentially have got 6 full damage hits to the bow for 14.6k total. For comparison Nagato is getting about 2170 damage for HE vs light armour so it's not particularly outrageous.

His very frist strike against the Nagato is for 5 hits, with HE, that does 20974 damage. The second salvo was stupid insane too, but nothing like that first one.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

nessin posted:

His very frist strike against the Nagato is for 5 hits, with HE, that does 20974 damage. The second salvo was stupid insane too, but nothing like that first one.

Oh I skipped past the first bit. There's no crits popping up either so that doesn't add up.

e: It does play the "heavily damaged" callout though which normally you only get for a citadel hit.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 18, 2015

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm never going to get my first win of the day with my North Carolina am I?

Also how the gently caress did I not get Clear Sky? Is there only one medal awarded per match?

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

DurosKlav posted:

I'm never going to get my first win of the day with my North Carolina am I?

Also how the gently caress did I not get Clear Sky? Is there only one medal awarded per match?

The Clear Sky description says you've got to shoot down at least 30 planes by 'setting aircraft as a priority target for AA'. So, I'm guessing that means you only get it if you diligently ctrl+click every plane you shoot down.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Scikar posted:

Oh I skipped past the first bit. There's no crits popping up either so that doesn't add up.

e: It does play the "heavily damaged" callout though which normally you only get for a citadel hit.

Depending on shell caliber, HE shells CAN penetrate armor. Its possible the Yamato's HE shells were crashing through the deck of the Nagato, and penning. This would prompt the metallic screech that indicates a penetration, along with the sound byte. Typically HE does not ever penetrate, but it does when the shell size significantly defeats the armor it faces. This happens most often with BB guns against DDs (they are armorless, so HE pens them quite heavily). The Yamato's shells could have been ignoring the Nagato's deck armor because it was too thin, getting penetrations and causing that hilarious amount of damage.

The Sims could have pooped out a smoke cloud and chilled in it, blasting the Yamato with an endless stream of HE for secondary kills and the chance of fire. Fire damage is pretty brutal to a ship like the Yamato, due to its extremely high health pool. Basically, the Sims could have bagged that Yamato with half of the force that was present, but hosed up royally. What do you expect from a Sims player, though? Most Sims/Atlanta/Atago owners are woefully inexperienced in actually playing the boat, after all.

I did enjoy the Pensacola getting citadeled by a secondary, though, very amusing. Basically pensacola.jpg right there.

nessin posted:

There was likely a slew of module crits as well, adding to that damage.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
You can citadel hit a Myogi with relatively small caliber HE, I've definitely done it with St. Louis and I think with some Japanese destroyer. I don't know where you hit to do that, but it seems more than a fluke.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

The Clear Sky description says you've got to shoot down at least 30 planes by 'setting aircraft as a priority target for AA'. So, I'm guessing that means you only get it if you diligently ctrl+click every plane you shoot down.
That's a good plan anyway, ctrl+click is a straight increase to your AA power. :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Nah you don't have to ctrl+click to get Clear Sky. DurosKlav got it in one: only one person can get Clear Sky per match for some reason. First to 30 gets the award and everyone else eats poo poo.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I finally get my internet working after all weekend of it being hosed and no one is online. Where is everyone? I'm lonely. :(

EDIT: ^^ Ya I almost always crtl click squadrons. Oh and for those not aware you can do the same thing for ships to prioritize your secondaries on certain ships, namely destroyers.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
So, what constitutes decent damage/exp in a tier 5 DD?

After about 30 battles, I'm sitting at 22,400 average damage and 922 average xp per game, with a 25% win rate. I'm not sure if I'm just very unlucky or if I've caught some kind of pubbie cancer that is making me bad at botes.

Insert name here posted:

Nah you don't have to ctrl+click to get Clear Sky. DurosKlav got it in one: only one person can get Clear Sky per match for some reason. First to 30 gets the award and everyone else eats poo poo.

Ah okay, that makes more sense (besides "first to 30" being a weirdly arbitrary metric).

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Could the Yamato have citadeled the Nagato from the front?

Yamato's AP at that distance can go through a Nagato's belt and barbettes to core the magazine on a straight shot, let alone punch through the bulkhead behind the bow section.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The Yamato in that video was shooting AP, not HE. The clip was made from a replay, and sometimes they do not show a change in ammo. If you watch carefully, he does not start getting fire badges until the secondaries open up. If he was shooting HE, there would be more badges from main gun salvos. Only one fire happens around the time of a salvo landing, the final one on the Nagato, and that was probably from secondaries.

Replays also do not show if/who he was focusing secondaries on with CTRL-click.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Magni posted:

Yamato's AP at that distance can go through a Nagato's belt and barbettes to core the magazine on a straight shot, let alone punch through the bulkhead behind the bow section.

I miss old AP, because I killed 4 Yamatos (not in the same match) with AP in my Nagato, due to it not dealing 0 damage if it bounced/fractured.

A lot of Yamato drivers are hilariously bad and rely on the retard strength of tier X to carry their drooling rear end through a match.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Hazdoc posted:

Depending on shell caliber, HE shells CAN penetrate armor. Its possible the Yamato's HE shells were crashing through the deck of the Nagato, and penning. This would prompt the metallic screech that indicates a penetration, along with the sound byte. Typically HE does not ever penetrate, but it does when the shell size significantly defeats the armor it faces. This happens most often with BB guns against DDs (they are armorless, so HE pens them quite heavily). The Yamato's shells could have been ignoring the Nagato's deck armor because it was too thin, getting penetrations and causing that hilarious amount of damage.

It's not that they can, they have to in order to deal damage. You deal no damage with HE if you hit a BB main belt with it (only splash damage to modules). You definitely can get citadel hits with HE and the Langley is easiest to show this. That said you would very rarely get a citadel hit through the front of a ship, and not very often through the deck, because the HE fuse is triggered by any part of the ship and the timer is really really short (so that it never overpenetrates). If it's possible to get HE citadels on a Myogi then there must be part of its citadel somewhere that is right up against the outside of the ship.

All that said, this:

grrarg posted:

The Yamato in that video was shooting AP, not HE. The clip was made from a replay, and sometimes they do not show a change in ammo. If you watch carefully, he does not start getting fire badges until the secondaries open up. If he was shooting HE, there would be more badges from main gun salvos. Only one fire happens around the time of a salvo landing, the final one on the Nagato, and that was probably from secondaries.

Replays also do not show if/who he was focusing secondaries on with CTRL-click.

makes a lot of sense. :)

e: I don't mean to bore people by going on and on about this stuff, but WG are being pretty bad about explaining what is going on in their game and I don't like not understanding things.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 18, 2015

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4

This a completely accurate representation of Battleship dispersion when it comes to gunners. Nothing else can explain some of the combos I see. I fire one turret of 3 guns, 1 and 2 fly off hard left and stick together and 3 flies off far right.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 18, 2015

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

This a completely accurate representation of Battleship dispersion when it comes to gunners.

The next video was Gene Wilder who said: "I also make my wife laugh once or twice in the house, but nothing special." So that works too.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Meanwhile cruisers are the sniper in any WWII movie except they're firing balls of fire. Its really sapping my will to play. I just had one where a guy beached himself 6km away just as I fired and my shots landed everywhere but on his hull.

Just had one cruiser fire at me from 16.5km or so out and land pretty much his entire salvo and doing 5000 damage and lighting me up. Meanwhile I fire and while I have the lead perfect the dispersion makes the shots land all over the place. Only one hits him and does what I assume is over pen damage which is miniscule. Now I have to wait 30 seconds to shoot at him meanwhile before my shots have even finished covering the distance he's about loaded and ready to fire another 2-5k guaranteed damage salvo. Would like to see BB dispersion above 15km lowered a tiny bit and Cruiser dispersion above 15km raised. It doesnt have to be something ridiculous like 10%, 5% would be nice.

Land 6/9 shells do 3.5k to Atago, same Atago lands 2 does 3k.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 18, 2015

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

UV_Catastrophe posted:

After about 30 battles, I'm sitting at 22,400 average damage and 922 average xp per game, with a 25% win rate. I'm not sure if I'm just very unlucky or if I've caught some kind of pubbie cancer that is making me bad at botes.

Ah okay, that makes more sense (besides "first to 30" being a weirdly arbitrary metric).

I'm averaging 1778XP, a 69% Winrate and 59k damage in my Minekaze. I'm not sure how often the profile webpage updates though, because it says I've only played 16 games in it, and I've definitely played more than that.

E: It also says I've never capped a base, so not sure how accurate it is.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

UV_Catastrophe posted:

20,000 is really low.

I can't help you, I only really played before this HE nonsense.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
So I gave the Montana another go, and I am alittle sad to say, that playing it as a mid- long range sniper works.... I feel... dirty.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Which destroyer, Minekaze or Nicholas? They require different tactics. Upload some replays to Dropbox so goons can give feedback.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Fuso is such a beautiful ship. The Mahan is great when it works. The Fubuki is godlike. Why is this game so good? Somebody help me. I'm trapped. Trapped in the boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

20,000 is really low.

I can't help you, I only really played before this HE nonsense.

If hes playing dd hunting in a nicholas that's over two minekazes killed per match!

Actually that has to be what's happening since i have much higher average damage in my minkaze but slightly less average exp (unless premium/first win influences those stats)