Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I'm a dumbass so I still click on YouTube Music's discovery mix semi-regularly but I've noticed more questionable likely AI-generated music on there from artists with virtually no online presence and also songs with awful AI cover art and/or videos. Neither of those is really new - the Spotify fake artist/music thing is years old - but one particular one that caught my attention is Cafe de Anatolia. I liked one song that was recommended because it was alright if a bit too long, and after that I got dozens recommendations by them. Why? Well despite claiming to be a record label they are listing themselves as the artist on every single they release, which seem to come daily. By liking just one song by them I got all of these new singles in the explore/new release page, which looks like this:

That's about half of the page dedicated to this one "artist". Some of the actual artists seem to be real to various degrees although of course I have to wonder given the shadiness and the crappy AI cover art. Who are these people anyway?

Uhhh... okay.

For whatever reason, their actual youtube page doesn't have this flood of singles but instead has one 2h long mix every week, with a slightly different style of godawful AI cover art.

this is the future the masses want. hundreds of millions of rutibexes jizzing themselves over the idea of making passive income and being able to become an artist with a simple prompt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I think it was this thread that said that if you use the recommended songs/autoplay feature of Spotify, they don't have to pay any royalties per stream because they can classify it as radio play - it's only when you specifically ask for Spotify to play you a specific song where it counts.

I don't know if that's true, but I don't do that now and only play full albums, start to finish. I also avoid any playlists that Spotify's algorithm automatically creates for me. I don't know if playlists made by real people count for streaming.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
ok i lolled too hard at this
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7368942549815282987

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:35 on May 19, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm a dumbass so I still click on YouTube Music's discovery mix semi-regularly but I've noticed more questionable likely AI-generated music on there from artists with virtually no online presence and also songs with awful AI cover art and/or videos. Neither of those is really new - the Spotify fake artist/music thing is years old - but one particular one that caught my attention is Cafe de Anatolia. I liked one song that was recommended because it was alright if a bit too long, and after that I got dozens recommendations by them. Why? Well despite claiming to be a record label they are listing themselves as the artist on every single they release, which seem to come daily. By liking just one song by them I got all of these new singles in the explore/new release page, which looks like this:

That's about half of the page dedicated to this one "artist". Some of the actual artists seem to be real to various degrees although of course I have to wonder given the shadiness and the crappy AI cover art. Who are these people anyway?

Uhhh... okay.

For whatever reason, their actual youtube page doesn't have this flood of singles but instead has one 2h long mix every week, with a slightly different style of godawful AI cover art.

lol the internet is completely dead

we're going to go back to listening to the local garage band at the watering hole 3 blocks down on the corner

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol the internet is completely dead

we're going to go back to listening to the local garage band at the watering hole 3 blocks down on the corner

sounds better than this poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

90s baby

log on to "visit" the internet

log off to go do actual poo poo with people in third places

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

Loves our thicc bread rear end (and wrong thread, apparently). Ah well.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Uhhh... okay.

Extremely upsetting but I'll just lol I guess

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I stopped listening to anything released post-2020 because it all sounds the loving same. the vocals and instruments are overproduced and murky, the rhythm and melodies are poo poo, and there are zero hooks. At first I put it off to the usual generational gap, tastes changing, the relationship to music changing, but everything sucks now in a way I can't describe

I don't remember where I heard this, but music has changed from being "hook-based" to more "vibe-based", and is now just a support for something visual (like a movie soundtrack or a TikTok video), or something you put on in the background as you work

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
even the big hip hop artists are dropping albums with 20+ tracks that all barely feel like songs

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/1792038759149556142

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

My hack to getting things people envy is being rich, dickhead. It's ez pz and the poors hate it.

Anyway, everything is poo poo lately? Who knew?

The Decay Of Everyday Life

Xaris posted:

latest rob horning piece is pretty good

Good articles.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
yep, to save money to buy a house on the east coast, we rented in Oakland for 3 years. self-contained units in the basement/backyard of 80+ year homes. one lot was building another full home in their lot (the lots are narrow but lint).

some actual apartment buildings were being built. only one built that we toured that we considered but it was literally right next to the train tracks. housing density is for other people i guess (but they do love those “In This House” signs!)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lold
Thought it was going to be this one at first
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7369375509672709418

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

rudecyrus posted:

I stopped listening to anything released post-2020 because it all sounds the loving same. the vocals and instruments are overproduced and murky, the rhythm and melodies are poo poo, and there are zero hooks. At first I put it off to the usual generational gap, tastes changing, the relationship to music changing, but everything sucks now in a way I can't describe

I don't remember where I heard this, but music has changed from being "hook-based" to more "vibe-based", and is now just a support for something visual (like a movie soundtrack or a TikTok video), or something you put on in the background as you work

It sounds like you only know about the McDonalds of music OP. A lot of really good stuff has come from independent artists/labels in recent years. Go to listen to Deep in View by Cola for example.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

there’s 0 chance these are being sold as like traditional “homes” in the way any normal American conception of them exists, right. it’s more like a condo. I have to imagine the “owner” of an adu doesn’t own the land and there’s probably significant restrictions on what they can do to the house.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

rudecyrus posted:

even the big hip hop artists are dropping albums with 20+ tracks that all barely feel like songs

there is dope poo poo since then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzt31eJTGxo

and kendrick lamar
just did some funny stuff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

post hole digger posted:

there’s 0 chance these are being sold as like traditional “homes” in the way any normal American conception of them exists, right. it’s more like a condo. I have to imagine the “owner” of an adu doesn’t own the land and there’s probably significant restrictions on what they can do to the house.
I think the reality is that about 0 homeowners are going to sell their ADU at all. it a) destroys main property value, b) they're usually control freaks and don't like the idea of selling up their land "permanently" to "undesirables we cant control". at least with renting the adu you can still stop renting it at some point and control who you rent it to, or take back the adu at some point in the future.

so it's pointless to even guess. it's more that theoretically homeowners CAN sell, but will do? no, absolutely not

but yes any would probably be setup like a condo with some sort of "Homeowners Occupied Area" fee

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

post hole digger posted:

These things are almost always rentals or even Airbnb shacks, yeah

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My favorite boba place moved in to my area so I went to check it out and had sticker shock. A single drink is now nearly $10 without alternative milk. Idk what the hell they’re thinking because all the other boba places around here are around $6 for a milk tea with boba. Same for fruit teas with jelly, nothing close to $9-10 (with tax).

Not going back again sadly and I’m going to try the boba drinks from Costco and see how those are.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

Not going back again sadly and I’m going to try the boba drinks from Costco and see how those are.

the frozen ones? they're.... ok, not really the same thing. kinda taste a bit 'chemically' (which is a stupid word but alas for lack of a better word)

we've had so many boba places open here the past 5 years it's kinda insane, but i think they're slowly popping and getting widdled out. a few like boba panda and uh this one chain (Teaspoon) opened and then permanently closed like a month later. there's another handful that have been slayed but replaced but then the replacements get slayed. i can think of about 4-5 rn that seem to be permanently empty and just burning money until they shut down.

but yeah if they're priced more >$5.99 then no-go, easily

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:40 on May 19, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Vox Nihili posted:

These things are almost always rentals or even Airbnb shacks, yeah

They could go for the RV home scam and be like "you own the house we own the land" and just keep raising land rent until the people are forced to abandon ship then reclaim the adu.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rudecyrus posted:

there's still so much good music being made but the Spotify algorithm isn't going to be the way to find it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Glumwheels posted:

My favorite boba place moved in to my area so I went to check it out and had sticker shock. A single drink is now nearly $10 without alternative milk. Idk what the hell they’re thinking because all the other boba places around here are around $6 for a milk tea with boba. Same for fruit teas with jelly, nothing close to $9-10 (with tax).

my favorite place around here is about $1.50 for the basic boba tea

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

rudecyrus posted:

drum and bass is still going strong :shobon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

latest rob horning piece is pretty good

quote:

It’s hard not to see OpenAI’s anthropomorphic turn as an admission that mimicry is all that chatbots are good for — part of a pivot away from productivity and labor automation and toward selling pseudo-companionship, automating away your need for friends. (This typically credulous Kevin Roose piece, in which he recounts his experience testing out some AI companion products, seems indicative of the industry’s drift into the experience economy.) Read quotes John Herrman, who points out that “what OpenAI presented was instead primarily a step forward in its products’ ability to perform the part of an intelligent machine,” and not some step toward competence or factual reliability. Facts are irrelevant to the truth of the experience OpenAI sells, which is grounded in the fantasy of having someone you can always talk to and boss around without having to worry about managing their performance. The chatbot performs “assistance” in a way that makes its actually doing anything more and more beside the point, much as the recipe videos make cooking anything beside the point.

extremely good read, thanks for sharing

it's a (or at least used to be a) somewhat common take that one of the problems of the internet is that it allowed people with crackpot theories to find (or create) communities of like-minded people that will believe their ideas and let them feed off of each other, whether before such things would be relegated to someone's basement, if they didn't burn out first

it seems like one of the destinations for AI will be creating this self-reinforcing, self-deluding effect, without even requiring someone else to be on the other end - if you tried to reinvent Hypercube or John Titor in 2024, chatGPT is going to tell you that you're right, and here's the "evidence" to prove it.

and I would bet anything that the FBI is working on a chatbot that's going to radicalize people into committing domestic terrorism without a need to assign an agent to set-up the entrapment themselves

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fart simpson posted:

my favorite place around here is about $1.50 for the basic boba tea

$3.50 here but i don't buy type 2 diabetes in a plastic cup

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Palladium posted:

$3.50 here but i don't buy type 2 diabetes in a plastic cup

thats why you order it with 1/3 of the normal sugar, or 0 added sugar

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

lold
Thought it was going to be this one at first
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7369375509672709418

loving burrito prices are bullshit

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

extremely good read, thanks for sharing

it's a (or at least used to be a) somewhat common take that one of the problems of the internet is that it allowed people with crackpot theories to find (or create) communities of like-minded people that will believe their ideas and let them feed off of each other, whether before such things would be relegated to someone's basement, if they didn't burn out first

it seems like one of the destinations for AI will be creating this self-reinforcing, self-deluding effect, without even requiring someone else to be on the other end - if you tried to reinvent Hypercube or John Titor in 2024, chatGPT is going to tell you that you're right, and here's the "evidence" to prove it.

and I would bet anything that the FBI is working on a chatbot that's going to radicalize people into committing domestic terrorism without a need to assign an agent to set-up the entrapment themselves
oh yes, we already see FW: FW: Even ChatGPT confirms Neil DeGauss Tyson said hillary clinton killed vince foster in comet pizza in 1989 / "AI says that NVDA is going to launch nukes at Taiwan in 23 months!" type of garbage content posted on social media stuff. but personally i consider that very low-level of whatever. just throw it into the giant flaming bonfire in the background.

my bigger concern is that so many people are actually loving hyped and buying hook, line, and sinker this dogshit. not just upper manamagent salivating at the thought of reduced call center costs or whatever, but even the masses of rutibexes and everyone online is like bedazzled and smitten and no one else seems to see just how blatantly bad all the "content" is. it genuinely feels like I'm in some parallel crazy dimension that's purestrain gaslighting

and the other half of the "anti-ai" component seems to be more rubes concerned about singularity or rockos basilisk or whatever the gently caress that's so hilariously far fetched that it's secretly just the same side of buying hook, line, and sinker.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:38 on May 19, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

rudecyrus posted:

its extremely easy to crank out lovely underdeveloped ideas nowadays the entire process is orders of magnitude simpler than even 20 years ago and people don't need to know what they're doing at all to do it so there's just way more bad music bc lower skill floor just dont listen to it

don't let an algorithm decide what you listen to
itll always feed you mostly garbage that's being promoted and that will always ruin your listening experience even if the songs are individually songs you like the context between them will inevitably feel weird and samey bc algorithm - pandora used to hire musicians and music critics to make their radio system work that's why it worked so well compared to everything else

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Saturday night Taco Bell run, $14 lol never spent over $10 before

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FirstnameLastname posted:

....so there's just way more bad music bc lower skill floor just dont listen to it

don't let an algorithm decide what you listen to. itll always feed you mostly garbage that's being promoted and that will always ruin your listening experience
the problem here is discovery. its easy to be like alright, don't consume bad tv/movies/music/games. 'tis truly that simple. but then it's like, alright well how do you find new music that's similar to what you want? word of mouth is obviously the best, but most music discussion forums are basically non-existent or dire, and even amongst friends you'll possibly have different tastes. you basically have NMD and... reddit.

you can't keep up with like new releases websites because it's like trying to use Steam front-page to discover new games. you can slowly curate bands you like and just follow their latest releases newsletters, but that doesn't really help. you can look at genre tags for you want but then that's also just asking an algo

anyways fwiw my spotify discovery weekly is pretty good, i usually end up adding one-liked song every week or two to my master library which I consider a good hit rate, and then I usually look into other releases by the artist. then again I have sort of niche weird tastes of a particular variety and not much else.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://x.com/greg16676935420/status/1791973261632311747

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Someone make the CSPAM Music Megathread

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xaris posted:

oh yes, we already see FW: FW: Even ChatGPT confirms Neil DeGauss Tyson said hillary clinton killed vince foster in comet pizza in 1989 / "AI says that NVDA is going to launch nukes at Taiwan in 23 months!" type of garbage content posted on social media stuff. but personally i consider that very low-level of whatever. just throw it into the giant flaming bonfire in the background.

my bigger concern is that so many people are actually loving hyped and buying hook, line, and sinker this dogshit. not just upper manamagent salivating at the thought of reduced call center costs or whatever, but even the masses of rutibexes and everyone online is like bedazzled and smitten and no one else seems to see just how blatantly bad all the "content" is. it genuinely feels like I'm in some parallel crazy dimension that's purestrain gaslighting

and the other half of the "anti-ai" component seems to be more rubes concerned about singularity or rockos basilisk or whatever the gently caress that's so hilariously far fetched that it's secretly just the same side of buying hook, line, and sinker.

People know subconsciously things are hosed and are just grasping at straws. "AI, like in the star treks?? It will save us!!!"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
gotta say, i don't think I "get" social media. wasting almost 3-hours of minimum wages in money, a half hour of some giger's time, and some gas to.... get an empty box for.... attention?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Biplane posted:

People know subconsciously things are hosed and are just grasping at straws. "AI, like in the star treks?? It will save us!!!"
i hope you're right

the alternative is worse [americans all have acquired an extra chromosone or covid really has given everyone immense widespread contagious brain damage]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

gotta say, i don't think I "get" social media. wasting almost 3-hours of minimum wages in money, a half hour of some giger's time, and some gas to.... get an empty box for.... attention?

you get paid for the attention, it’s Mr beastification of the economy because young people can’t get normal jobs anymore