Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
China launches anti-dumping probe into EU, US, Japan, Taiwan chemicals

Whoops, the Chinese can also play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Xaris posted:

gotta say, i don't think I "get" social media. wasting almost 3-hours of minimum wages in money, a half hour of some giger's time, and some gas to.... get an empty box for.... attention?

You sure $20 is three hours of minimum wage there? Wasn't it raised to $15 an hour in most places?
If it is though, $11 for a half hour seems like a fantastic deal rather than a waste.
The wasted gas I'll grant you.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Xaris posted:

the problem here is discovery. its easy to be like alright, don't consume bad tv/movies/music/games. 'tis truly that simple. but then it's like, alright well how do you find new music that's similar to what you want? word of mouth is obviously the best, but most music discussion forums are basically non-existent or dire, and even amongst friends you'll possibly have different tastes. you basically have NMD and... reddit.

you can't keep up with like new releases websites because it's like trying to use Steam front-page to discover new games. you can slowly curate bands you like and just follow their latest releases newsletters, but that doesn't really help. you can look at genre tags for you want but then that's also just asking an algo

anyways fwiw my spotify discovery weekly is pretty good, i usually end up adding one-liked song every week or two to my master library which I consider a good hit rate, and then I usually look into other releases by the artist. then again I have sort of niche weird tastes of a particular variety and not much else.

this is such an insane perspective to me because for me (and most music turbo-nerds) discovery is the hobby. why would I use an app that does the thing I want to be doing in the first place for me?

good encapsulation of the problem though - this is a good enough solution for most people that the only way 95% of unknown artists are getting heard by strangers is either via viral memes or genre playlists, so all the music now is either a 3 minute song designed to be chopped to 15 seconds for tik tok or deep genre pandering (throwback death metal is in a nice spot recently, for example, but if this is at all something you'd care about you probably already know)

anyway lots of better solutions than streaming apps for finding new-to-you music in 2024 but most of them boil down to making friends with people who also like music so if thats a dealbreaker you're still SOL

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

mawarannahr posted:

remember those articles about how leftists should invest in companies to steer them in the right way instead of boycotting or divesting?

Column: Exxon Mobil is suing its shareholders to silence them about global warming

The very definition of 'rearranging the deck chairs'...

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
at least music is short and accessible, usually free, even on bandcamp you can stream it. a bad album isn’t very long and you can tell pretty quick. bad movie? well you might have to watch it for longer, and may have to rent it, but still not too much time or money investment.

video games? lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Biplane posted:

People know subconsciously things are hosed and are just grasping at straws. "AI, like in the star treks?? It will save us!!!"

Turned on the local news while drinking my coffee and they had a ten minute segment about how AI will revolutionize healthcare lmao. We already know it’s just going to replace physicians and nurses for the bottom 90%

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

doctors are better than ai, at least the doctors that haven't washed out of their primary field of practice due to incompetency and now just shovel prescription amphetamines out the door via cellphone apps to such a degree the whole country runs out of adderall

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Turned on the local news while drinking my coffee and they had a ten minute segment about how AI will revolutionize healthcare lmao. We already know it’s just going to replace physicians and nurses for the bottom 90%

It's easier to pin all your hopes on Cortana from Halo than having to spend one microsecond thinking about how comprehensively hosed everything is.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

gotta say, i don't think I "get" social media. wasting almost 3-hours of minimum wages in money, a half hour of some giger's time, and some gas to.... get an empty box for.... attention?

Twitter pays you based on how many views/clicks you generate

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

capitalists have been accusing people of malthusian thinking for like a century because there's always that next technological breakthrough coming that will trivialize our problems... even now you'll see people arguing that diminishing resources is no concern because space is full of resources and virtually infinite so we can just go out there and get them

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
music can be copied infinitely but artists make royalties every time their song is played/sampled. if you build a house, a tractor, a machinery, you get paid (poorly) once, even if that thing is in operation for 50+ years

everything is fundamentally broken

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

music can be copied infinitely but artists make royalties every time their song is played/sampled. if you build a house, a tractor, a machinery, you get paid (poorly) once, even if that thing is in operation for 50+ years

everything is fundamentally broken

Thank G*d AI will fix all these problems with science (magic)

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

extremely good read, thanks for sharing

it's a (or at least used to be a) somewhat common take that one of the problems of the internet is that it allowed people with crackpot theories to find (or create) communities of like-minded people that will believe their ideas and let them feed off of each other, whether before such things would be relegated to someone's basement, if they didn't burn out first

it seems like one of the destinations for AI will be creating this self-reinforcing, self-deluding effect, without even requiring someone else to be on the other end - if you tried to reinvent Hypercube or John Titor in 2024, chatGPT is going to tell you that you're right, and here's the "evidence" to prove it.

and I would bet anything that the FBI is working on a chatbot that's going to radicalize people into committing domestic terrorism without a need to assign an agent to set-up the entrapment themselves

have we already forgotten the AI girlfriend that sent a guy into Windsor castle with a crossbow on a mission to assassinate the queen?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Offkorn posted:

You sure $20 is three hours of minimum wage there? Wasn't it raised to $15 an hour in most places?
If it is though, $11 for a half hour seems like a fantastic deal rather than a waste.
The wasted gas I'll grant you.

Min wage is $7.25 an hour, here the hell do you live that it's $15?

Hell, I'm in a city with a higher cost of living than Austin and it's still $7.25.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

Hell, I'm in a city with a higher cost of living than Austin and it's still $7.25.

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_minimumwage.htm

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

7.25 is the mandated minimum by Federal law so any state just has to match that. 30 states exceed that amount with their own laws.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yall got too many states

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dead Internet

I really wonder how long it'll take for an actual proper search engine alternative to pop up. DDG mostly piggybacks off Google from what I can tell. Yandex is OK for now but doesn't really compare to how robust Google used to be in the 00s.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Find around and gently caress out

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dead Internet

I really wonder how long it'll take for an actual proper search engine alternative to pop up. DDG mostly piggybacks off Google from what I can tell. Yandex is OK for now but doesn't really compare to how robust Google used to be in the 00s.

I use Kagi and it doesn't make me want to die. It does some piggybacking (but I think across many search engines) and has AI summary stuff built in, though. I don't mind the latter so much if someone posts a 1000 page blog and I don't want to read it. I also use the chat they have built in to summarize youtube transcripts so I don't have to watch a 45 minute video to find out which cake flour is best.

One feature I like is it lets you customize domain ranking, so if I search for recipes or whatever and I get good sites I can tell it to prioritize those if it's in the results next time and AI/spam sites, I can tell it to block or deprioritize.

I might hope general preferences and feedback like that help them optimize across the board for everyone. I think that might be a workable strategy to fight on result nonsense

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I avoid having to use search engines by only going to two websites

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Google has been kings of the Internet for too long and are getting too big for their britches. Antitrust them all

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DemihumanResources posted:

I use Kagi and it doesn't make me want to die. It does some piggybacking (but I think across many search engines) and has AI summary stuff built in, though. I don't mind the latter so much if someone posts a 1000 page blog and I don't want to read it. I also use the chat they have built in to summarize youtube transcripts so I don't have to watch a 45 minute video to find out which cake flour is best.

One feature I like is it lets you customize domain ranking, so if I search for recipes or whatever and I get good sites I can tell it to prioritize those if it's in the results next time and AI/spam sites, I can tell it to block or deprioritize.

I might hope general preferences and feedback like that help them optimize across the board for everyone. I think that might be a workable strategy to fight on result nonsense

u pay money for search lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dead Internet

Lmao the audacity, further in the article Google says they think the AI summaries will actually INCREASE how many people go on to click links to websites, like, what????

Also they don't seem to be able to put two and two together when they see "people are still clicking on links as much as before" and "people seem to really loving hate AI summaries taking up the whole page". Gee maybe people are just "putting up with" your bullshit and not actually liking it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

the problem here is discovery. its easy to be like alright, don't consume bad tv/movies/music/games. 'tis truly that simple. but then it's like, alright well how do you find new music that's similar to what you want? word of mouth is obviously the best, but most music discussion forums are basically non-existent or dire, and even amongst friends you'll possibly have different tastes. you basically have NMD and... reddit.

you can't keep up with like new releases websites because it's like trying to use Steam front-page to discover new games. you can slowly curate bands you like and just follow their latest releases newsletters, but that doesn't really help. you can look at genre tags for you want but then that's also just asking an algo

anyways fwiw my spotify discovery weekly is pretty good, i usually end up adding one-liked song every week or two to my master library which I consider a good hit rate, and then I usually look into other releases by the artist. then again I have sort of niche weird tastes of a particular variety and not much else.

You can also follow labels that specialize in your genre of choice or see who is opening for your favs when/if they tour because I've found that they tend to have similar vibes, and that's if the artist themselves aren't choosing them. I find Spotify outside of the discover weekly railroads me into stuff I already listen to, like half my Daily Playlists are stuff that's explicitly in my liked songs already. If I wanted that I would just use that playlist.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

7.25 is the mandated minimum by Federal law so any state just has to match that. 30 states exceed that amount with their own laws.

Whoa, this is wild. Next you're going to tell me that you have to pay restaurant servers more than $3 an hour.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Xaris posted:

the frozen ones? they're.... ok, not really the same thing. kinda taste a bit 'chemically' (which is a stupid word but alas for lack of a better word)

we've had so many boba places open here the past 5 years it's kinda insane, but i think they're slowly popping and getting widdled out. a few like boba panda and uh this one chain (Teaspoon) opened and then permanently closed like a month later. there's another handful that have been slayed but replaced but then the replacements get slayed. i can think of about 4-5 rn that seem to be permanently empty and just burning money until they shut down.

but yeah if they're priced more >$5.99 then no-go, easily

I think there is non frozen boba you can buy too at Costco. Idk, it’s just not sustainable to charge $10 for a boba tea.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

Whoa, this is wild. Next you're going to tell me that you have to pay restaurant servers more than $3 an hour.

oh, no, restaurant workers can go gently caress themselves apparently

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I avoid having to use search engines by only going to two websites

Pretty much this, yeah. There are like four websites I ever go to, and if I can't look something up on one of those sites, I just go do something else. Lmfao I just realised, saying you're going to "google" something is meaningless now. They did a Musk and comprehensively destroyed their own brand.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol kagi

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

kagi is run by the same ai loving psychopath silicon valley types as google is that isn't a good way to go either

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

i like that the most expensive option is self-rear end examination

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the internet is the 90s again because DEI Google ruined what had been a masterful enterprise

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Nonsense posted:

the internet is the 90s again

would that it fuckin were

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

the person who drew those dogs should be publicly punished

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

i am harry posted:

A person did not draw those dogs.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

i am harry posted:

ahh I see this is your first exposure to “corporate memphis,” the artistic movement that is all about industrializing visual design and minimizing labor costs by reducing asset production to mix and match shapes that anyone (or a computer) can use. it all looks like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I have been hosting https://github.com/searxng/searxng and I make it use a VPN to send request to Google with no cookies.

Can't say it's excellent but haven't really noticed anything wrong with it