Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
Afraid not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've got a buddy looking to buy his first bike and he came to me for advice.

He's looking at a 2006 Ninja 500R (EX500, GPZ500, whatever) with 28k miles. New chain, sprockets, recent fork job, year-old tires, new clutch cable. Seller wants $1800. I know the seller's girlfriend, and she says he's pretty scrupulous about keeping it maintained and not riding like a dong.

Two questions: 1.) Good first bike? 2.) Good deal?

I've done some research and read through the EX 500 forum a bit and came to my own conclusion that it's probably a decent first bike that won't be outgrown any time soon. Just figured I'd check here and see if anyone has any red flags about the bike specifically that I've missed in my own research. I'm also pressuring this kid hard to do the MSF course and spend a few hundred on gear immediately.

Also, it's green.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yes, and yes. Perfect beginner's bike, and a good price to boot if it is indeed maintained and not a shitheap.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sanchez is wrong, it's not a 250 so he will die.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

Sanchez is wrong, it's not a 250 so he will die.

Oh god let's not start this.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
They very act of thinking about something other than a 250 to start on has already killed him I bet. Seriously though the 500 has an even power delivery and reasonably handling while still being quite light. It's just fine to start on.

If you need help convincing him a few courses and some gear are worth his time and money just see this recent page or two of the video thread for over an hour of youtube MC crashes. Notice the responses on how they're mostly the same 4-5 mistakes.

Some basic instruction and being given actual things to work with are worth it. Worst case he'll be a much better rider, and best case he won't eat poo poo due to his lack of basic mental prep.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Oh god let's not start this.

Don't listen to Covert Ops Wizard. Listen to Obama. For your sake and the sake of your friend please trust the President.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nsaP posted:

Don't listen to Covert Ops Wizard. Listen to Obama. For your sake and the sake of your friend please trust the President.

Ugh Obama is coming to town today, good thing I can split through all the traffic he will undoubtedly cause :smugdog: :ca:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Traffic on my way to work this morning was all hosed thanks to him. Even splitting like crazy it still took me an extra 5(!!) minutes to get to work.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Halo_4am posted:

They very act of thinking about something other than a 250 to start on has already killed him I bet. Seriously though the 500 has an even power delivery and reasonably handling while still being quite light. It's just fine to start on.

If you need help convincing him a few courses and some gear are worth his time and money just see this recent page or two of the video thread for over an hour of youtube MC crashes. Notice the responses on how they're mostly the same 4-5 mistakes.

Some basic instruction and being given actual things to work with are worth it. Worst case he'll be a much better rider, and best case he won't eat poo poo due to his lack of basic mental prep.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yes, and yes. Perfect beginner's bike, and a good price to boot if it is indeed maintained and not a shitheap.

Thanks. At 28k miles, I'm pushing him to start out offering $1300 and see what happens, if everything seems sound. I get to do the test ride and ride it home for him if it all works out. Been wanting to ride one of these for a long time. I had about an hour long talk with him this morning about proper gear and the MSF course again. I didn't even think about showing him that drat crash video, but I think I will now.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Good idea?

http://holland.craigslist.org/mcy/3959926993.html

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ugh Obama is coming to town today, good thing I can split through all the traffic he will undoubtedly cause :smugdog: :ca:

You need to be the lane change you wish to see in this world

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Interesting, that looks like one of Tygaboys old CF gas tanks. Rare.

It's got all the right mods, could be a great all arounder. I'd probably try and get him to throw in everything at 2600, sell the CF gas tank, sell the extra forks and stuff, and convert it to a trackbike or just ride the poo poo out of it as is. If you sold everything you could make it sub 2k for a VERY nice SV pretty easily.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
2006 DRZ400SM
30k km (19k miles)
LeoVince pipe
3x3 airbox mod, jet kit
New chain

He says he's used synthetic oil every 1000-2000 km. Also, the tires are at about 50%, and no chicken strips due to track riding.

So, 7 year old bike with a good number of miles on the odo, and used at the track.

What's a reasonable offer?
What should I take into account considering it's been tracked?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Personally, I'd probably stay away.

However, I would give him pretty much no value for the mods (unless they really float your boat). I think mid 2s would be closer to reasonable for that 8+ year old bike that wasn't tracked unless bike prices are stupid inflated in GTA.

Also, changing his synthetic oil every 1K or so is absurd.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

slidebite posted:

However, I would give him pretty much no value for the mods (unless they really float your boat). I think mid 2s would be closer to reasonable for that 8+ year old bike that wasn't tracked unless bike prices are stupid inflated in GTA.

Would you give no value for the mods because of the particular mods they are on this bike or is that a blanket statement?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Blanket statement.

General rule (and in my limited experience) mods add pretty much zero to the value of a bike. The owner is 99.9% of the time far further ahead to restore a bike to stock condition and part out the mods separately.

I've also found from my own feelings when shopping and talking to others that have, a modded bike (especially performance mods) are not only worth less, but more likely to be passed over an otherwise identical stock bike.

Caveat might be if the mods are exactly what a buyer would want, but even then the seller would almost certainly get more selling separately.

I am of course talking about daily riders here.

I'd genuinely be curious to hear others opinions.

Edit: I realize this bike has pretty straightforward mods by the looks of it, but I still think my basic point stands.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 8, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

slidebite posted:

Personally, I'd probably stay away.

Would you mind elaborating on this?

(Edit: What I mean is, it sounds like all you've said is "he sure changes his oil a lot" and "don't pay extra for the mods", neither of which answers either of my questions.)

(Edit 2: Ah, can't read. Mid 2k ish, thanks.

epswing fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 8, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
In between those justifications for his mid 2k offer suggestion, he gave you a mid 2k offer suggestion.

As to your tracked suggestion... not much. You know it's been run hard, but it's designed to run hard. There's no track specific wear to look for outside of tires and ridiculous performance mods.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

epalm posted:

Would you mind elaborating on this?

(Edit: What I mean is, it sounds like all you've said is "he sure changes his oil a lot" and "don't pay extra for the mods", neither of which answers either of my questions.)

Mostly for me it'd be that you can't make an offer for what its worth without lowballing the asking price.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I see. Yes, that makes sense. Everyone thinks their precious moto-snowflake is worth buckets of cash.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

clutchpuck posted:

Mostly for me it'd be that you can't make an offer for what its worth without lowballing the asking price.
That is pretty much my thoughts too. Let's face it, its probably only worth slightly more than half what he is asking. But who knows, he might be aware of this and just hoping to get a bite.

Are there comparable bikes for sale in the area for a more sensible price?

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
So having decided that a 600 offers enough power and torque to keep me satisfied, I have abandoned my 10-year - old litre bike dreams and started looking at 5-6 year old super sports instead. Is there any compelling reason to avoid the 09-10 zx6r? They seem to be well priced compared with the competition, insurance is dirt cheap (like 500/yr less than the other supersports) and I haven't found any horror stories regarding reliability, anyone care to offer any advice?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

tzam posted:

So having decided that a 600 offers enough power and torque to keep me satisfied, I have abandoned my 10-year - old litre bike dreams and started looking at 5-6 year old super sports instead. Is there any compelling reason to avoid the 09-10 zx6r? They seem to be well priced compared with the competition, insurance is dirt cheap (like 500/yr less than the other supersports) and I haven't found any horror stories regarding reliability, anyone care to offer any advice?
I rode an 09 zx6r years ago and the only issue mine ever had was coming out of neutral on occasion. Seemed a common issue with those. If you shift into neutral and roll forward or back while holding the clutch in, you'll usually have to let out and reclutch to get into first. No big deal, and that's about the worst thing I can say about the bike. The powerplant is rock solid. Not bad to work on. Bike holds value well. Stock suspension is kinda stiff; but not bad. I would endorse a ZXR heartily. The gearbox can be questionable depending on the previous owner; but that's every sportbike. If you get a test ride, just throttle on/off sharply in each gear to make sure it doesn't slip out. If it slips out, that's not the end of the world; but it does give you bargaining room since you can work the "I'm going to have to do transmission work" angle.

slidebite posted:

I'd genuinely be curious to hear others opinions.
With exception of chrome on Harleys, I'm with you on the mods thing. For the most part, always keep your stock parts when modding a bike and always put them back on when selling. Offer the mods as "options" and you capture all markets. It's the exact same concept as painting a house all neutral colors when attempting to sell it. A stock 250 ninja with a spare 4" swingarm people can do whatever they want with. A 250 ninja with non-optional 4" extended swingarm and zebra stripes will only appeal to like two people in the world, and they probably want a Hayabusa. Power commander? Sounds great until you realize that Bubba might've tuned it himself after installing his slip-on Yokohama exhaust.

Almost any mod you make will devalue most bikes and limit the number of potential buyers exponentially. Aesthetic mods almost always devalue a bike. (gently caress every single non-pro who puts a Monster energy drink sticker on a bike or car.) Exceptions to this are things like better brakes, progressive suspension, or solid fixes to known issues with a certain model of bike.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

slidebite posted:

Are there comparable bikes for sale in the area for a more sensible price?

This just popped up

2009 DRZ400SM with 4400 km, for the sameish price $4,250. That's like 25,000 less km, and 3 less years, though this apparently has been dropped given the broken turn signal bulb.

Looks like a first owner, I might go see it. Ugh but it's white... :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Go with $3500 in your pocket and see what he says.

Also, just did a local search too and seem to be a little cheaper than you but still asking $4-ish for recent ones.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I feel your pain on high priced Sumos. They're rarer than leprechauns here so you get poo poo like this, a 2003 KLX conversion listed at 4,500

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3975753713.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A guy is offering to trade my Husky for a 2003 Kawi Z1000 with 77, xxx miles. I can't tell if that's a good trade or not. Anything I should know about the Z1000?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My '03 Z had less than 10k miles on it and it was worth half what you're asking for the Husky.

I like the Z but it's a hooligan bike with that much mileage, I'd expect cracks in the steering stem by now, or at least trashed bearings all over

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I may have a line on a 05 Ducati 999 (base model, black biposto, no mods, well kept) with about 15k on it. Friend of a relative posted it on his facebook page, he's asking 6500. I know 05-06 are the better years, the base got the S engine with a better oil sump, and a better swing arm. Seems like a good deal. I actually know a really great ducati only mechanic too, so I'm not worried about maintenance costs, or engine work should the need arise.

I haven't seen the posting yet but I was wondering if any of you goons have any experience with this model duck.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tzam posted:

I had one and put a bunch of miles on it - loved it, I'd buy another.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

My '03 Z had less than 10k miles on it and it was worth half what you're asking for the Husky.

I like the Z but it's a hooligan bike with that much mileage, I'd expect cracks in the steering stem by now, or at least trashed bearings all over

I think 77 was a typo. It's actually a 7Kmi Z1000, but I'm still not terribly interested. I think I got it confused with the Z-Rex, which is newer and better slightly different.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 15, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I thought the zrx was the older vintage styled model?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I thought the zrx was the older vintage styled model?

I fixed my post. Sportbikes. I literally have no idea when it comes to them.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

I've been thinking of getting a trail/dirt bike for a while, just got an opportunity for a good price on a Yamaha WR400F. I have a fair bit of experience on quads but none on two wheels. Is there any chance I'm going to be able to learn on this bike or is it too powerful?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Are you going to be riding on trails or on MX tracks? I think it'll be fine if you're not planning on being a supercross fly in the air star.

Dirt bike thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471069

I wish I had a dirt bike and somewhere to ride it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

thylacine posted:

Are you going to be riding on trails or on MX tracks? I think it'll be fine if you're not planning on being a supercross fly in the air star.

Dirt bike thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471069

I wish I had a dirt bike and somewhere to ride it.

Dual sport. Cut off the road, hit a jump a few times, maybe blast a fun trail, then cruise to the next spot. Railroad tracks and farm trails. Just don't hit a live track that doesn't have a trail along side it and watch out trespassing, don't gently caress up anybody's crops most of all. Also, business parks and shopping center drainage areas can be fun, I learned how to seat bounce ripping around a little drainage area with some jumps and a fun grass berm you can rail nicely.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ammo mammal posted:

I've been thinking of getting a trail/dirt bike for a while, just got an opportunity for a good price on a Yamaha WR400F. I have a fair bit of experience on quads but none on two wheels. Is there any chance I'm going to be able to learn on this bike or is it too powerful?

You can learn on anything, but you'll learn faster and have more fun starting on a smaller bike. Your quad experience doesn't mean anything with regards to riding a motorcycle.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What metric sporster like bikes can be had for cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Vulcans, Boulevard S-models (S40/S90), Vstars, and Shadows could all be described as "Sporter-like" I suppose. Really though, Sportys are pretty inexpensive bikes themselves - they do not follow the typical Harley pricing lunacy; plenty options for all of these models between $2500 and $4000 on my local CL.