Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And they're both fun. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If shoe fits

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know about the rest of the movie, but the opening of TMP is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG3N51MEjM

I also love that we see the little shitball stations people are assigned to relay messages.

Were the Klingons ever supposed to have a bigger role in this movie or did they really just invent their language, do the redesign with the foreheads, and build elaborate sets and models just for a 5 minute scene where they get blown up? Not that it isn't cool outside of some of the more dated effects.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

And they're both fun. :colbert:

I just can't not be bothered by DECK 78 and poo poo.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Item Getter posted:

Were the Klingons ever supposed to have a bigger role in this movie or did they really just invent their language, do the redesign with the foreheads, and build elaborate sets and models just for a 5 minute scene where they get blown up? Not that it isn't cool outside of some of the more dated effects.

Could be that all that happened as part of the "Phase II" series that turned into TMP.

Though the scenario you described wouldn't surprise me either.

There was supposed to be some final battle they ended up not filming at the end of TMP where the Klingons attack the Enterprise on its way out of V'Ger. It was to include the first saucer separation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seeing as how everything was redesigned, it probably wasn't much effort to do that with the Klingons. I mean, for the most part the design of their ships didn't change.

Think of how much less gravitas the opening would have had with the original Klingons.

I think that one thing people really need to do when watching TMP is think back that TOS was the only thing that existed prior. The movie has flaws but it was incredibly ambitious and really set the tone for the remaining movies. They made the universe feel so much grander, alien, and dangerous.

This tone setting is something the TNG movies utterly failed to accomplish.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

This tone setting is something the TNG movies utterly failed to accomplish.

I think a big part of this is due to us having already spent seven years with the Enterprise-D crew. We'd seen them go through some next-level poo poo for ages, whereas when The Motion Picture was released, all we had of the original crew was 79 episodes, a little over a third of which are legitimately good, and so there was really a wide-open canvas, especially when they were flying by the seat of their pants when coming up with stuff for the original series.

Granted, the TNG movies had other issues (burned-out writers, a producer who really didn't know what he was doing, steadily increasing script influence from Stewart and Spiner, etc.), but outside of Generations and some small bits of First Contact, there's no sense of ambition to anything that's happening. It's really weird, for example, to watch First Contact after I, Borg, because Picard feels like a completely different character. But that's the kind of baggage you deal with when you take a seven-year series and try to convert it into movies, all of a sudden you've got the albatross of continuity hanging over your head.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They're putting the old girl in mothballs.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/first-nuclear-powered-aircraft-carrier-to-be-decommissioned

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always figured someone who worked on TOS always had this envisioned for Klingons and then with movie money they could create the Klingons that they had dreamed about in the 60s.

But it is cool, despite all the changes other aliens in Trek have gone through, Klingons still look roughly the same. Refinements in the makeup are pretty much the only real part.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Plenty more letters in the alphabet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

It will soon be stolen for use in an unauthorized mission.

By this guy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Timby posted:

I think a big part of this is due to us having already spent seven years with the Enterprise-D crew. We'd seen them go through some next-level poo poo for ages, whereas when The Motion Picture was released, all we had of the original crew was 79 episodes, a little over a third of which are legitimately good, and so there was really a wide-open canvas, especially when they were flying by the seat of their pants when coming up with stuff for the original series.

While that's part of it, there's also the whole feeling like an episode thing.

I mean, that's part of the lack of ambition and also caused by a budget crunch.

Even today, we would have a hard time replicating the scale and quality of the SFX in TMP for a TV show. There's nothing in the TNG movies that doesn't feel like it could be done on a weekly TV show (the only exception is the saucer crash which was exceptional.)

That's one shot though, everything in the TOS movies exuded grander than TV scale.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I always figured someone who worked on TOS always had this envisioned for Klingons and then with movie money they could create the Klingons that they had dreamed about in the 60s.

But it is cool, despite all the changes other aliens in Trek have gone through, Klingons still look roughly the same. Refinements in the makeup are pretty much the only real part.

Even though the differences are subtle, I think the TMP Klingons were the best at conveying an "alien" feel (partly owing to lighting and performance, but also subtle variations in the makeup). I've never really been a fan of the big shaggy hair they adopted in the TNG era.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

There's nothing in the TNG movies that doesn't feel like it could be done on a weekly TV show (the only exception is the saucer crash which was exceptional.)

I think the ramming sequence in Nemesis would qualify (even though the interior shot of the Scimitar's shuttle bay getting wrecked is terrible).

twistedmentat posted:

Gene Coon, sadly, had been dead for years before they started making The Motion Picture, and he was the guy who really defined the Klingons. There is a bit in Return to Tomorrow, though, in which Fred Phillips talks about appreciating the freedom he was given to make the Klingons actually feel alien, instead of just putting John Colicos or Michael Ansara in blackface.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 26, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad someone finally changed the words. People used to say "brings all the threats to Picard" and it made no sense.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LnwLn9vnKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

Subyng
May 4, 2013

I can teach you
But you have no honar

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure I've read exactly that somewhere. It may have even been Roddenberry's or Coon's vision during TOS.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

I can teach you
How to hunt for targh

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

This whole scene (voy- Counterpoint) is Janeway and the evil anti-psychic commander pulling an all nighter in the mess hall trying to calculate a wormhole position. They have a whole staff for this. They have a whole lab for this.
Voyager why do you always hurt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't she about to bang that guy too?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Scudworth posted:

This whole scene (voy- Counterpoint) is Janeway and the evil anti-psychic commander pulling an all nighter in the mess hall trying to calculate a wormhole position. They have a whole staff for this. They have a whole lab for this.
Voyager why do you always hurt.

To be fair, like 90% of Star Trek is the executive staff doing stuff that should be delegated to dozens or hundreds of other people on the ship.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You guys are under the assumption that the rest of the crew actually serves a purpose beyond telling the captain the helm isn't responding or dying by explosive workpanel rock blasts.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't she about to bang that guy too?

Yes because he defected but in some amazing Voyager-style writing, absolutely no precautions are visibly taken against this possibly being a trap (which it blatantly is).
I know this is a common plot device but the writing is just so bad, you guys.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timby posted:

I think the ramming sequence in Nemesis would qualify (even though the interior shot of the Scimitar's shuttle bay getting wrecked is terrible).

Gene Coon, sadly, had been dead for years before they started making The Motion Picture, and he was the guy who really defined the Klingons. There is a bit in Return to Tomorrow, though, in which Fred Phillips talks about appreciating the freedom he was given to make the Klingons actually feel alien, instead of just putting John Colicos or Michael Ansara in blackface.

Ah that's too bad, but I'd not be surprised if the look was based on concept work he actually did.

Speaking of stuff the Captain does, wasn't the therm Picard was working on in his spare time solved at some point?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Ah that's too bad, but I'd not be surprised if the look was based on concept work he actually did.

Speaking of stuff the Captain does, wasn't the therm Picard was working on in his spare time solved at some point?

Fermat's last. It got busted fully about a decade after the episode (I want to say The Royale?) aired

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

J33uk posted:

Fermat's last. It got busted fully about a decade after the episode (I want to say The Royale?) aired

Yeah but iirc it was through methods not available to Fermat(?) at the time so how he originally did it is still a mystery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched a documentary about it, it's pretty cool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

J33uk posted:

That's right, and yea, it would not have been possible to solve until fairly recently.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

That loving hangar, man. For most other productions I would think "well, I bet there was a script draft where the Scimitar fighter wing got deployed, and also probably where that Starfleet battle group came charging in at some point during the battle" but Nemesis is such a colossal fuckup in every way that I just assume John Logan thought "yeah now we can totally one-up the Generations saucer crash!!!" while he was writing "...and the super-ship also has a WHOLE HANGAR FULL OF BITCHIN' SPACE FIGHTERS! UNF UNF UNF UNF"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
On paper I'm sure all that poo poo sounded cool. I remember the trailer also having it's centerpiece Data leaping from ship to ship.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I like how Picard's Ferengi nemesis Bok gets a hold of not one, but two total gamechanger technologies and only uses them for drawn-out overcomplex revenge plots with a million weak points.

First the mind-control globes. But now I guess he invented subspace beaming that has a multiple-light-year range and is unblockable by any force-fields or countermeasures. Sure Data has a throwaway line about how Starfleet abandoned research into this technology because it took too much energy and it's unreliable to transport people this way, but then he copies the technique without an issue so you basically just made space battles obsolete because you could beam torpedoes onto enemy ships from outside weapons range.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scudworth posted:

Yes because he defected but in some amazing Voyager-style writing, absolutely no precautions are visibly taken against this possibly being a trap (which it blatantly is).
I know this is a common plot device but the writing is just so bad, you guys.

Maybe those commercials aren't so far off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the hell is going on with the film streaming rights? Nothing on Netflix and now Amazon wants to charge per movie to watch?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

What the hell is going on with the film streaming rights? Nothing on Netflix and now Amazon wants to charge per movie to watch?

I'm sure it'll all be on CBS All Access! :suicide:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I'm sure it'll all be on CBS All Access! :suicide:

I actually thought this but Paramount has the film rights.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's annoying. However, if you post in this tread and don't own the movies already, I don't know WTF.

I, without exaggeration, have bought ST:II 5 times over the years and will buy it again in a heartbeat if they ever get around to releasing the UHD blu-ray.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm safe because, honestly, I don't really like any of the movies. There are some that are better than others to be sure, if you put a gun to my head I'd obviously rather watch The Voyage Home over Insurrection or something, but all I really care about rewatching is episodes of the television shows. The movies have never really appealed to me all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

It's annoying. However, if you post in this tread and don't own the movies already, I don't know WTF.

I, without exaggeration, have bought ST:II 5 times over the years and will buy it again in a heartbeat if they ever get around to releasing the UHD blu-ray.

:shrug:

I no longer own any films or tv shows on physical media.