Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

steinrokkan posted:

Why can't people post how much they need and why, with a link to a paypal, instead of redistributing donations by a committee.

That's against the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Goons built a school in Haiti. They also built Doobie's Dog House and swap.avi

Quality track record

Hey SWAP.avi is a national goon treasure. :metis:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Goons also donated a bunch of bees once, that was fun and I don't remember any horrible drama

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That was a great thread title, too. "Celebrate Christmas by darkening the skies of third-world nations with ANGRY BEES"

I think we also did a big thing buying goats for families in Africa or something?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That was to Heifer International, which provides livestock to the needy. Bees are part of their gifts (others being chickens goats and cows, obviously the bigger animals are more costly).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RentACop posted:

Goons also donated a bunch of bees once, that was fun and I don't remember any horrible drama

in a hilarious mix up the bees were sent to a Haitian school

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I thought we got mixed up and sent seeing eye dogs to hungry Africans and bees to a bunch of blind kids?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSt5CJ_Gu-A

Which goon is this?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Powaqoatse posted:

yall have way too many opinions about a forum and a thread you dont even post in

yes agreed no-one should have opinions on things they are not directly involved in

rwandan genocide? idk man i don't post in it

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yes agreed no-one should have opinions on things they are not directly involved in

rwandan genocide? idk man i don't post in it

Don't you feel like you're being a little melodramatic?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gum posted:

Don't you feel like you're being a little melodramatic?

a goon being melodramatic? WHY I NEVER!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus christ this is the most anodyne loving forum

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's a good vocab word I think you meant asinine but maybe you have a really smart autocorrect

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kelp Me! posted:

That's a good vocab word I think you meant asinine but maybe you have a really smart autocorrect

This is a very cyberdyne post!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kelp Me! posted:

an·o·dyne
ˈanəˌdīn/Submit
adjective
not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so.
"anodyne New Age music"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

an·o·dyne
ˈanəˌdīn/Submit
adjective
not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so.
"anodyne New Age music"

Oh neat I just knew it as an old-timey word for a painkiller

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Compared to someplace like /pol/ or r/the_Donald SA is pretty loving inoffensive

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

Compared to someplace like /pol/ or r/the_Donald SA is pretty loving inoffensive

Talk about darning with faint praise.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well yeah deffo but i was referring specifically to PYF, the place where rhetoric is met with a readjustment of ones glasses and a nasal, gargly "akshually,"

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

well yeah deffo but i was referring specifically to PYF, the place where rhetoric is met with a readjustment of ones glasses and a nasal, gargly "akshually,"

Mate it's people posting on the internet, not loving genocide. You shouldn't take these things so seriously

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You literally compared whatever it is you're worried about (some charity drive?) to the Rwandan Genocide. that is bad rhetoric my friend.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hear the Rwandan genocide ruined a lot of posting hands, so it is an appropriate goon metaphor.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Wait wait wait where did this Rwandan genocide thing come from wrt this thread?

Did I miss some posts or something?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Furia posted:

You have DJF on ignore :laffo:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Furia posted:

Yes. It's like half a dozen posts up.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Goons did more for Haiti than Wyclef did. Nice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's perfectly acceptable to discuss other subforums and their threads even if you don't post in them generally, the majority of this thread is predicated on that. I assume DOWN JACKET FETISH made an absurdly exaggerated comparison as part of what I believe might be called a "joke". Honestly I don't know but the eggheads in the lab are very excited that we may have finally discovered trace elements of humour in PYF.

For a perfect example of someone making terrible decisions and totally ignoring solid advice from goons, here's a great thread. A guy decided to walk across America to find himself and that's totally not a Hollywood thing that makes no real sense in actuality. You're probably thinking "I dunno man walking through some lovely American forests and trails taking in the sights and doing a bit of camping sounds kinda nice" and you're pretty correct. However he decided to walk down motorways and then also through part of a desert instead. I haven't gotten to the point where he's even started hiking yet (if indeed he ever does) but he's constantly being given great advice that he laughs off as "what happens happens namaste" or "trolling" if they use the word gently caress.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post444237339

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait that's happening again?

e: Oh no it's the same thread. It's ogod tho.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait that's happening again?

e: Oh no it's the same thread. It's ogod tho.

yh he has to walk back, should have walked in a circle not a straight line. Classic mistake for newbs (short for newbie hikers)

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
There was a follow-up thread where someone re-traced Muerte's trip in order to maybe find the trolley and also take pics and, slight spoiler in case people haven't read it; but it was this super-scenic route and not like the brutal desert you'd imagine at all, like lush greenery and even a park area with like a dainty little bridge, and it just made for a really neat closure on the incredibly stupid story. Requesting a link to that follow-up thread if anyone has it. I think it was maybe some BYOB poster who tried to set out and find the abandoned trolley.

If it is within your powers, please goldmine the Muerte thread, because it is one of the all-time funniest SA stories.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm not sure if it's possible but I'll ask. I went and found an old PYF thread with the [ARCHIVE] button on it and I don't have the option to move it anymore so I the current E/N mod wouldn't be able to put it forward for GM I would assume. I'll ask to see if an admin can.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
fond jewish docket

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I miss your pet island gang tag. It was always great being reminded of the maremma sheepdog thread.

Sucks that lady gave the dog brain problems related to a tree in her yard. :(

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
maremmas are born with brain problems, i've talked to a few pro dog trainers and they say they can work with any breed except for maremmas (and shar peis). they're basically not dogs, they're a dog-adjacent species with a completely different psychology. ridiculously gorgeous animals though

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Grandmother of Five posted:

There was a follow-up thread where someone re-traced Muerte's trip in order to maybe find the trolley and also take pics and, slight spoiler in case people haven't read it; but it was this super-scenic route and not like the brutal desert you'd imagine at all, like lush greenery and even a park area with like a dainty little bridge, and it just made for a really neat closure on the incredibly stupid story. Requesting a link to that follow-up thread if anyone has it. I think it was maybe some BYOB poster who tried to set out and find the abandoned trolley.

It's in that same thread, second last page. It was atomicthumbs.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

holy moly I remember this thread but never finished it

dude sounds like everyone with borderline I've met who is being talked down from their grand worldchanging plans

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Scudworth posted:

It's in that same thread, second last page. It was atomicthumbs.

lmbo thanks. I love those pics. They just go completely counter to expectations imo. The thread goes on for so long after Muerte bails that I remembered it as a distant follow-up, I guess. As payment, a couple of imo funny singalong quotes about the Desert Wandering goon;

Yad Rock posted:

i keep a close watch on this cart of mine
i walk about ten minutes at a time
my feet are sore and i can't write straight lines
my water's gone
i'm gonna die

I.N.R.I posted:

Im the desert stroller baby ive got speed
Ive got everything i need
im the desert stroller and im gonna die
Im a somethingawful guy

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

the old ceremony posted:

maremmas are born with brain problems, i've talked to a few pro dog trainers and they say they can work with any breed except for maremmas (and shar peis). they're basically not dogs, they're a dog-adjacent species with a completely different psychology. ridiculously gorgeous animals though

This one got extra-bad brain problems because it was bought to be a ~rare breed~ for this lady's urban/suburban family and was not immediately cast out into the wilderness to live among goats, so it imprinted on a tree and iirc she had to eventually give it away. The entire thread on PI was people telling her if it would turn out badly and possibly murder her/her newborn/her autistic toddler.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
So what's wrong with those big white dogs? They look pretty majestic, so it must be something real bad, like they all always have rabies or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

funmanguy posted:

So what's wrong with those big white dogs? They look pretty majestic, so it must be something real bad, like they all always have rabies or something.

IIRC they're insanely protective farm dogs that absolutely belong on a farm