Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I remember the study correctly internet dating is now the second most common way straight marriages meet, just behind “went to college together” Lesbian and Gay marriages, unsurprisingly, have been internet first for a good long while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I met my wife in the comments section of my (thank god now deleted) lovely concert review blog

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Barudak posted:

If I remember the study correctly internet dating is now the second most common way straight marriages meet, just behind “went to college together” Lesbian and Gay marriages, unsurprisingly, have been internet first for a good long while now.

Those gays are always a step ahead!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ouhei posted:

Theyre gentrifying everything!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ouhei posted:

Just wait til you see the fully automated luxury gay space communism.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TheScott2K posted:

I met my wife on OkCupid which now signifies how old I am.

Umm...Yahoo! personals for me. Didn’t they shut that service down in 2010? Welp, with me being this ancient you know what that means.

Time to open the relationship and induct a vulnerable 18F into our poly BDSM lifestyle.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

yeah I was just burnt out and at the time it was like a 1.5 hr flight. stuttgart is very good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm kind of amazed that for all of my social anxiety and spectrumness and horribly broken goony brain, I met my now-wife in a kind-of old fashioned way, just through friends hanging out.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Decent apple pie should not be so sweet you can't taste it. You should be using granny smith applies or something else that is legitimately sour, and use an older recipe that doesn't call for to much sugar.

For the crust you will get the best results out of half butter and half shortening.

therobit fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 18, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

univbee posted:

I'm kind of amazed that for all of my social anxiety and spectrumness and horribly broken goony brain, I met my now-wife in a kind-of old fashioned way, just through friends hanging out.

Pretty sure the old fashioned way is knocking her out with your club and dragging her to your cave

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grandaddy did it right: knocked up the first girl he ended up inside after coming home from the war.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Moridin920 posted:

Eh yeah sure but at the same time if you consistently become an aggressive rear end in a top hat when drunk odds are you're probably not all that cool when sober. Alcohol doesn't fundamentally alter your personality, aside from long term health effect stuff.

Yeah also there was no taboo about sex in the USSR or Eastern Bloc idk what the hell that's about.

INterestningly enough, the reason for the higher orgasm rate in the Eastern bloc is due to the relative lack of stress caused by not living in capitalist society.

I dated a Russian girl once who was really kinky when we started out but the more attached she got the more vanilla she'd get, because there's the dirty sex you have when you just wanna have fun, and there's the respectful intimate sex you have with someone you have feelings for. It was... Disappointing.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Smirking_Serpent posted:

SO [29M] of 5 years told me his finances are "none of my business" but wants to be a SAHP

This sounds like Forex trading which is a suckers game and he will crash and burn hard. It's a favorite get rich quick scheme of the "good with spreadsheets" crowd.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Coohoolin posted:

INterestningly enough, the reason for the higher orgasm rate in the Eastern bloc is due to the relative lack of stress caused by not living in capitalist society.

I dated a Russian girl once who was really kinky when we started out but the more attached she got the more vanilla she'd get, because there's the dirty sex you have when you just wanna have fun, and there's the respectful intimate sex you have with someone you have feelings for. It was... Disappointing.

[citation needed]

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Coohoolin posted:

Lmfao stress free East Germany oh my god I can hardly breathe

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

therobit posted:

Decent apple pie should not be so sweet you can't taste it. You should be using granny smith applies or something else that is legitimately sour, and use an older recipe that doesn't call for to much sugar.

For the crust you will get the best results out of half butter and half shortening.

Good apples are key. My grandmother had an apple tree in her back yard, so she’d pick them and use those to make apple crisp.

They were the mealiest, most flavorless apples in the world.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

Nothing brings stress down better than a community that comes together (to inform on each other to the Stasi).

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

univbee posted:

Same. But it was riiiight before online dating took off. I would have made great use of Tinder if it had been around when I was single.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol that’s how a girl thirsty to leave her nation talks to a man who she thinks can extricate her

God y’all are dumb af

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Russia the unbearable lightness of being is so intense that they're killing themselves in the tens of thousands each year.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Coohoolin posted:

And the progression from kinky and dirty at the beginning to “boring and vanilla” later on is different from most other relationships in what way?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LadyPictureShow posted:

Good apples are key. My grandmother had an apple tree in her back yard, so she’d pick them and use those to make apple crisp.

They were the mealiest, most flavorless apples in the world.

When I want apple pie, there’s nothing better than this one:

From a la Mode in Seattle. The sourness and spicyness really offset any cloying sweetness. Seattle prices though.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Apprentice Dick posted:

Probably old school crust recipe that uses lard from pigs instead of Crisco.

OP said she was given lard pie crust and told it was butter instead

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ignis posted:

OP said she was given lard pie crust and told it was butter instead

I unintentionally hosed up the first time I met my boyfriend’s family. I was invited to Seder, and have zero clue about keeping Kosher, so I went to the bakery across from campus and bought an apple pie. Didn’t find out until later that you’re not supposed to have meat and dairy in the same meal IIRC. Luckily they don’t really keep too Kosher, and they all ate the pie, but I felt like an idiot.

But at least I didn’t intentionally try to trick them.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [24F] in-laws [60MF] feel very offended about our recent wedding, and clearly dislike me. They are coming over to express their grievances tomorrow. How should I handle myself during this confrontation?

TLDR; My in-laws clearly dislike me and find any reason to be offended by me. They are coming over tomorrow to confront us. How should I handle myself? Should I lay it on them? Should I just shut my trap and let my husband do the talking? Help, please!

I'm way behind in this thread. Did anyone point out that Festivus is the proper time for The Airing of Grievances?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Every woman that I've been in a relationship with has left me for another man.

quote:

Whether it be dating, and now my wife (26/F) of two years. I'm (36/M) totally broken now, having heard "you have nothing to worry about" countless times, about specific men. Only to then have those same men be the ones my partners leave for once they decide to officially end the relationship.

In my opinion: if it's interest and intent, it's an emotional affair. And if it's sex, it's also a physical affair. That doesn't seem too difficult to realize, and to end a relationship before taking the next steps.

I'm honestly devastated, again, but more so because this time it happened in my marriage.

TL;DR: all women I've been involved with have lied to/cheated on me to serve their own needs through other men. Just be honest with yourselves, people. And your partners.

*spelling

Top comment is someone telling him he’s the common denominator in all these relationships.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Nonvalueadded User posted:

And the progression from kinky and dirty at the beginning to “boring and vanilla” later on is different from most other relationships in what way?

Most of my relationships went in the exact opposite direction?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

ask a manager posted:

I’m a relatively new manager (six months in) and this is my first management job. I’m still getting the hang of things. My boss and everyone above him don’t work in this branch. I am wondering when a manager should get involved in a personal dispute between two employees that has nothing to do with work.

“Robb” is the relative of someone who was murdered. He changed after it. He lives alone, doesn’t celebrate holidays or things, and wants to go through the motions and be left alone. He has been vocal in his personal (not work) life about there being no justice for victims. “Arya” is a newer employee. I don’t know how she found out about Robb because he doesn’t talk about it at work, but she thinks Robb needs to forgive the perpetrator (who got life with no parole) and fight for prisoner rights to fix the prison system, and she told him this a few times. Robb now avoids Arya as much as possible (and she hasn’t made any further comment). Other employees are enabling Robb by dealing with Arya on his behalf.

My conundrum is that all the work is getting done, Robb has not been hostile to Arya (nor has anyone else) and he just avoids her, and no one has complained or brought forward concerns about anything. As a manager, should I be dealing with Robb’s situation or should I leave this alone because it a personal conflict?

When you're so woke you create a hostile work environment.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

tactlessbastard posted:

*gunned down trying to scramble over the Berlin wall*

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Arya is a retard and has to realize that no matter how woke you are and how hosed up the prison system is, the fact remains both that some people actually do need to be in prison (Though prison should probably be less of a nightmare hellscape, that's sort of a bad point to bring up to someone like Robb) and it's nonsensical for you to try to push your agenda to someone who has an obvious and understandable personal issue with it

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

andrew smash posted:

Whoever created Mensa did the world a great service by providing a way for the kind of people to join Mensa to cheerfully out themselves by talking about Mensa

i got kicked off the mensa forums cuz i got into an argument with a dude whose avatar was a selfie in a top hat. he wanted to cut food stamps and free school lunches which is ironic for a fat gently caress like him who admitted to using public assistance when he was younger, so i told him he should put my dick between two pretzel buns and fuckin choke on it.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

My (35m) MIL (60s, married to wife, 35, for 10 years) threw away about 200lbs of Elk meat I'd hunted/harvested. I am so hurt/sad/angry I'm afraid I might do or say something terrible.

quote:

This post could literally go on for days because of our very contentious relationship with my MIL but I will do my very best to keep it on point and concise.

I could start at the very beginning, but to suffice to say my MIL is truly a rotten person. She is exceptionally cruel to those people that love her like family but to the outside world, she's a very attractive, in shape extreme extrovert who is every strangers best friend. I believe she's one of the only people I've ever met who I would say is a true narcissist and she doesn't see people as "real," rather just plot devices to move her story along.

About four years ago, after every single visit to our house going bad, my wife and I finally said "enough" and basically banned her from visiting. We'd see her sporadically at family events but even then, she and my wife would fight constantly but it was a true relief to not see twice a year like we had been.

So back in March, MIL called and said that she had a friend that lived in our city who was dying of cancer and she'd love to come stay. My wife and I talked it over and we decided that the "right" thing to do would be to let her stay but with some very strict ground rules (she had to rent her own car, she had to give us some space and we were unwilling to discuss any hot button issues). It went south from the second she got out of security at the airport when she told my wife "you know, when my friend Jane's daughter picks her mom up the airport, she's able to meet her at the gate. Why didn't you try that?" (the comparison to other peoples kids is one of my wife's serious trigger issues and MIL pretends to not know this) It devolved into an argument over us over not having the right popsicles, not having a coffee maker and the fact that she had to get a rental car.

By the time they got home my wife was in tears and locked herself in our room. I sat my MIL down and said we aren't even an hour into this and she's broken her agreement. I said she had to behave or she would have to leave. She agreed, that was Monday morning and she spent the afternoon with her friend so we didn't see her. I got up and went to work yesterday and she was in our guest room.

As an important aside, a few years ago I decided to start hunting because I have a real problem with factory farming as I love animals. I realize this may be an oxymoron to people but becoming a hunter was a solution to what I saw was a real problem, people may or may not agree and that's fine. I also need to say that killing an animal deeply affects me, I mean when I get a kill I sit next to the animal in tears, praying, thanking it for it's sacrifice. I also use every single bit of the carcass which is practical because I'm so deeply moved by an animal giving it's life to feed my family and want to make the most of it. This last years animals were deeply special to me as they are the ones that I cleaned completely by myself.

So I went to work yesterday and didn't see MIL, she had a huge issue with my wife in the morning because MIL was supposed to help get the kids to school, instead she wanted to sit in our hottub, so the day didn't get off well. I got a call at about 4 when my wife usually gets home saying "all I can tell you is, please don't come home. Get a room at the Westin, I'll pay for it." I sort of joked "its that bad?" Wife said "its worse than it could ever be, please call me back in an hour or so."

I didn't really take my wife seriously because I thought this was just one of their "normal" arguments but I called my wife back and she said "please sit down." My instant thought was my MIL had passed away. I said I was so she said "mom went into your freezer and threw away all your elk meat today." It didn't really process at first so she repeated it and I asked why. she said "it turns out mom's been a vegan since her friend got cancer because she's convinced why she got cancer and she's worried we're feeding the kids meat." So basically her mom has been a vegan for about a month. I asked how she was even able to do it, she said MIL waited until we were all out of the house and put I all in our curbside trashcan. Tuesday is trash day and it's gone.

I am devastated. I mean devastated. I took my wife up on the hotel because I don't know what I would say to my MIL. I am so crushed. I'm crushed for all the work I put in to preparing, practicing with my bow, all the time and travel away from my wife and kids to hunt, the hassle of the getting the tags, etc... But mostly I'm devastated that I watched the life go out of a beautiful creatures eyes and now what's left of it is sitting in a metal box at the country transfer station. Maybe this is hard to understand, but this is bringing up the pain of watching that bull die all over again. And it's just such a waste, it's gone.

I don't know what to do. I want to confront my MIL and make her understand but I don't think she ever will. I don't know if I can be trusted with my words to not just go off on her but I think the trouble is she either wouldn't know or just wouldn't care how much pain she's causing me and how utterly wasteful she was.

I texted my wife that she has to go and currently there's a battle on where she'll go but I truly don't care. I trust my wife to handle it and that she'll be gone but I never, ever, ever want to see her again.

Because I need to reconcile this down to questions, here goes:

What restitution should I seek from her? I mean I could extrapolate this out to being worth thousands of dollars in time, effort and meat. And now that food has to be replaced (much less quality beef, likely). I will never see a penny from her so do I use this as leverage to say "pay me or you don't see us or your grandkids"

What do I say to her? How do I make even make her understand how much this hurts and how wasteful it is? Is it best just to not say anything because any argument will just be more frustrating?

tl;dr: my MIL threw away about 200lbs of elk mean that I'd hunted/harvested. I am devastated because hunting to me is a truly spiritual activity and I'm crushed by the waste of what was a beautiful animal. She's been a problem for a long time and this time, I truly don't know what to do.

edit: please don't think this is some slam on Vegans. I deeply respect vegans for their respect for animals. I feel we come at this from the same place but with different solutions. I also think veganism is probably a very passing fad for my MIL.

Find a shaman to place an Elk curse on your MIL

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i got kicked off the mensa forums cuz i got into an argument with a dude whose avatar was a selfie in a top hat. he wanted to cut food stamps and free school lunches which is ironic for a fat gently caress like him who admitted to using public assistance when he was younger, so i told him he should put my dick between two pretzel buns and fuckin choke on it.

Cool story, you're extremely tough

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Omg that’s like $4k worth of elk Id take her to loving court

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's an easy solution that will also replace all the missing meat

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

My (35m) MIL (60s, married to wife, 35, for 10 years) threw away about 200lbs of Elk meat I'd hunted/harvested. I am so hurt/sad/angry I'm afraid I might do or say something terrible.

Throw MIL out immediately, take her to small claims court to at least get money back for the meat and also as a huge gently caress YOU to MIL. Goddamn, gently caress people like that.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Reducing your daughter to tears before you get home from the airport is a powerful superpower.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

zakharov posted:

Cool story, you're extremely tough

i am tough. some would think it detracts from my handsomeness, but you know? it doesnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CheesyDog posted:

There's an easy solution that will also replace all the missing meat

Nice