Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Anyone on here in the DC area and need a team for GP DC? My friend and I need a third person. Just looking for someone that's reasonably serious about Magic and drafts once a week at FNM or on MODO or whatever. You can send me PM or @Boco_T on Twitter if you wanna talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

It was, and it was the most hype poo poo I had ever seen in my life when I was 12.

i mean i think it was pretty hype but a large part of that is because all the trailers i've ever seen are those atrocious "photoshop arms and legs to move on promo art" ones

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

I'd say it should be an EDH manga but then a match would take ten story arcs.
This makes me want a Kaiji-style manga, where our hero battles against unscrupulous grinders in 10 volume matches. In the first arc he is held to the name "Borborygmos" with his Pithing Needle.

Turns out it was to trick his opponent into casting it into Gather Specimens!!!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

i mean i think it was pretty hype but a large part of that is because all the trailers i've ever seen are those atrocious "photoshop arms and legs to move on promo art" ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0zxVkTH6A

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This makes me want a Kaiji-style manga, where our hero battles against unscrupulous grinders in 10 volume matches. In the first arc he is held to the name "Borborygmos" with his Pithing Needle.

Turns out it was to trick his opponent into casting it into Gather Specimens!!!

When's the arc where our hero dons a pair of rad sunglasses after being told maintaining eye contact passes priority and loses an important match??

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I think that Ravnica one actually influenced some later art. A frame near the end made me think of Shattering Blow.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Didn't that one just straight up fall flat to all reception?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

Didn't that one just straight up fall flat to all reception?

Probably. Their mistake was not continuing this fantastic line of ads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HztAWVUO1Zo

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Chill la Chill posted:

Probably. Their mistake was not continuing this fantastic line of ads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HztAWVUO1Zo

Would play more Magic if the average player looked like that.

Edit: not the idiot in the blue Hawaiian shirt, but those beachpeople.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

okay putting the mana symbols in the little magic orbs is a bit too on the nose

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

i am learning so much about 90's advertising today

my conclusions are that it's all weird as heck

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

i am learning so much about 90's advertising today

my conclusions are that it's all weird as heck

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Drone posted:

You would play more magic if the playing population was less sweaty nerds and more generically attractive people? I wonder why WOTC didn't think of that when they designed the game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Drone posted:

It was sometimes like that back on Oahu when Da Planet used to be located in Kapiolani. It was maybe 4 blocks from waikiki so some of us would drop by for an afternoon game/tourney before or after we hit the surf.

E: funny enough, I used to joke about how the place was an above-ground basement. the owners would keep the blinds drawn even though we were on the second floor and much higher than the street or buses so nobody would be able to see inside anyway. but they said a bunch of the regulars didn't like that idea.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 29, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

JerryLee posted:

There have been one or two people in here who unjokingly defended the reserved list on the basis that they didn't want their "investment" to be revealed for the fairy gold that it was (my words rather than theirs, obviously).

Guy at a local Prerelease said it was because "the reserved list is the only thing that keeps magic cards worth money" and said that "i worked, traded up, and bought smart for years to get into modern, other people can do that too" without a hint of irony.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Skyl3lazer posted:

Guy at a local Prerelease said it was because "the reserved list is the only thing that keeps magic cards worth money" and said that "i worked, traded up, and bought smart for years to get into modern, other people can do that too" without a hint of irony.

Abolish the reserved list to gently caress with this guy because gently caress him specifically.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Abolish the reserved list to gently caress with this guy because gently caress him specifically.

Reprint his deck at common too, because wow.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is he aware of the fact that literally zero cards in Modern are on the Reserve List and are all worth fucktons of money?

I mean jesus loving christ.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Any UKgoons off to Manchester this weekend for the Magicmadhouse open?

I am heading there with a couple of friends for the weekend to also attend the FanBoy3 pptq on Sunday.

looking forward to totally getting the UK meta wrong as usual.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

"Million dollar Magic Pro Tour"

*picks a foil Tarmogoyf instead*

also time to head to the vancouver convention centre to play some sealed or whatever

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Some Numbers posted:

Is he aware of the fact that literally zero cards in Modern are on the Reserve List and are all worth fucktons of money?

It's the (wrong) idea that if WotC could reprint anything at any time, WHY WOULD ANYTHING BE WORTH ANYTHING????

Ignoring the fact that WotC could reprint a card any time it hit 50$ tcgmid and every card would still just be 50$.

e; If anyone is going to Baltimore for the legacy 5k tomorrow we should say hello to each other

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

Guy at a local Prerelease said it was because "the reserved list is the only thing that keeps magic cards worth money"

While I think this could be interpreted as something about wotc's promise making ability leading to player retention (as in some kind of trusting w/e wotc says thing) and card value retention, I'm pretty sure recent mtgfinance has shown that a card's playability isn't actually necessary to a card costing a fuckton.

Either way the cost of entry to constructed magic is really stupid.

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's the (wrong) idea that if WotC could reprint anything at any time, WHY WOULD ANYTHING BE WORTH ANYTHING????

The most plausible argument I've seen is that if WotC revokes the reserve list whats to keep them from, say, stop paying out for PTs or GPs or something else, which, given how wotc has handled public affairs recently and the actual payout of a GP, the latter is probably more likely to happen even if the former doesn't happen. I think slippery slope type arguments are stupid but hey I mean wotc is clearly going to ban anyone who ever sees a fake card ever so there you go for how magic players believe things work.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 29, 2016

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Make a vintage masters paper set with power 9 and other restricted vintage and legacy staples but really terrible looking art.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Drone posted:

What, you don't play at a country club with a strictly enforced dress code? Pleb.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

DoctorOozy posted:

Any UKgoons off to Manchester this weekend for the Magicmadhouse open?

I am heading there with a couple of friends for the weekend to also attend the FanBoy3 pptq on Sunday.

looking forward to totally getting the UK meta wrong as usual.

Going to wait for London, I'm not ready for Oath standard yet, but based on my last FNM it will be 50% Aristocrats.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Kibler, after quitting MTGO out of frustration like a year ago, will be streaming Oath drafts today. I hope he runs into some of these new rules bugs, because they seem to be a new level of ridiculousness.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It seems like they devote most of their testing to the new sets. Which is why I only use MTGO for drafting.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Make a vintage masters paper set with power 9 and other restricted vintage and legacy staples but really terrible looking art.

So, the Vintage Masters art?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

So, the Vintage Masters art?

To be fair the worst VMA art is probably brainstorm.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

Kibler, after quitting MTGO out of frustration like a year ago, will be streaming Oath drafts today. I hope he runs into some of these new rules bugs, because they seem to be a new level of ridiculousness.

Kibler non-ironically had nice things to say about the client like 3 weeks ago while streaming it (he was playing some kind of Stompy through a few leagues)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Terrible Horse posted:

Angry Grimace posted:

Kibler non-ironically had nice things to say about the client like 3 weeks ago while streaming it

Oh gosh :allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Mark Rosewater was a TV writer in the early '90s. Imagine Mark Rosewater on cocaine.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

Kibler non-ironically had nice things to say about the client like 3 weeks ago while streaming it (he was playing some kind of Stompy through a few leagues)

Yeah I saw a notification recently that he was streaming magic, but wasn't able to watch it. Every time I do tune in its Hearthstone or Duelyst

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

To be fair to Kibler, the client today is a lot better than the client a year ago was. It's still dreadful to look at but the functionality is there, at least for limited/major constructed formats.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Some Numbers posted:

Well, "costing fucktons of money" is something that would also need to be dealt with and is in fact the relevant factor in 99% of bitches about the reserved list (the other 1% are Maro grumbling that he can't print a particular french vanilla creature). The list is an easily-to-reference symbol of the shittiness of guys like that one, but it's not as though mtgfinance, and the reprint philosophies that give rise to it, would be all hunky dory just as long as there wasn't a literal list out there somewhere.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

Mark Rosewater was a TV writer in the early '90s. Imagine Mark Rosewater on cocaine.

his voice would become so high-pitched that only dogs could understand him

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Mikujin posted:

The list I'm currently running:

Dimir Mill

Hmm, this deck really reminds me of Burn for some weird reason. Win condition is to play 6 cards as fast as possible. I really see the value in playing 4 Surgical Extractions. It's making me think of cabal therapy in a good way, especially sense the turn 1 and 2 plays in modern are almost always 4 of's. Extracting their Serum Visions, Bolt, et cetra seems really strong. And Trap plus Extraction on your Turn Zero seems pretty hilarious.

What about Ensnaring Bridge and Serum Powder? Seems like you dump your hand pretty quick. And you need a pretty strong opening grip (must have Trap) to be able to win.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
What time is Oath live on MTGO tonight? I'm itching to do some prerelease sealeds but I guess they won't be up until late UK time

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ghost Quarter + Surgical Extraction seems like a hilarious way to kick Tron's rear end. Popping a single piece of Tron virtually eliminates any chance of them winning before you count to 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lancelot posted:

What time is Oath live on MTGO tonight? I'm itching to do some prerelease sealeds but I guess they won't be up until late UK time
20 minutes from now (1:00 EST)

• Locked thread