Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Levantine posted:

Baton pass is so good I rarely use the new party member for a dungeon because you can't do it with them! It's a great way to conserve resources hitting weaknesses or outright obliterating enemies with strong attacks.

It's annoying, but still doable, and the new party member is usually ideal for that dungeon anyway since lots of opponents will have their element as a weakness. It's going to vary though; Makoto is good but not super amazing off the bat, but Haru is pretty fantastic right out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I would have loved to use Haru earlier than dungeon seven but I had to get her baton pass, which was gated by proficiency, so I had to hang out with the gun shop owner, who was gated by guts, so I had to get a lot of injections and eat a lot of burgers first

there's like two dvd's and a video game that give you multiple 3 note chunks of proficency

e: anyway if they made haru's slink avaliable way earlier they'd need to change what her perk is because her vegetables basically completely replace sojiro's stuff

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Freak posted:

who's out there not choosing Haru please tell me so I can fight them irl

I'm choosing Haru this time. Also Ann, Makoto, Takemi, Futaba,

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I couldn't choose Haru because while I was technically skilled enough to customize firearms and make delicate tools, whenever I tried to water a flower I'd run it over with a backhoe and dump and entire bag of nitrogen fertilizer on it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I dated Doc Gothula on my original file. Fite Me. :colbert:

The Valentine's scene is great too because she gives you chocolate and is like "And no it's not poison or some kind of experimental drug. This time." Takemi is such a treasure.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Was there a point for Natsuhiko and Mika to get portaits. I mean the former at least makes the seeing his gallery portait in the second palace make some sort of sense, but why did Mika get a icon for Ann's Slink if she only in in a couple events for them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think she was going to get a bigger role in the first half of the S link before they changed it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Instant Grat posted:

You mean Mask☆DeMasque

I guess I know what I'm naming the protagonist on my second playthrough.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Count Bleck posted:

I guess I know what I'm naming the protagonist on my second playthrough.

3rd playthrough, because your 2nd will be Dirty Crimeboy

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

darealkooky posted:

e: anyway if they made haru's slink avaliable way earlier they'd need to change what her perk is because her vegetables basically completely replace sojiro's stuff

Thanks to Temperance, there's no reason not to get a coffee or curry on any night where you aren't planning on hanging out with Coffee Dad, so it's more like Haru's vegetables just add ever more things to the increasing pile of free SP recovery items

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Booted up P3P for a bit and I forgot that apathy syndrome is just the exact same thing as Mental Shutdowns, right down to bleeding black blood from your eyes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was trying to boost kindness then the teacher threw a piece of chalk at me and the game told me I needed to be more proficient so I reloaded my save which was the day before and watched Admission Impossible which ended up maxing my proficiency allowing me to dodge the chalk, boost my charm, and have me all set for Haru.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

darealkooky posted:

Booted up P3P for a bit and I forgot that apathy syndrome is just the exact same thing as Mental Shutdowns, right down to bleeding black blood from your eyes.

It happens in P4 too when there's fog around and people you talk to sound dead inside (from what I remember)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's annoying, but still doable, and the new party member is usually ideal for that dungeon anyway since lots of opponents will have their element as a weakness. It's going to vary though; Makoto is good but not super amazing off the bat, but Haru is pretty fantastic right out of the box.

Yeah, it's doable but it's almost like leaving something on the table. Haru is great, but several personas outright reflect gun attacks in her intro dungeon. Many are weak against Psio, but MC can do that better than her out of the box. At least, that was my experience.

EDIT: I'm not really disagreeing with you, I just wish Baton Pass was a baseline mechanic and not locked behind Confidant links.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Grat posted:

Thanks to Temperance, there's no reason not to get a coffee or curry on any night where you aren't planning on hanging out with Coffee Dad, so it's more like Haru's vegetables just add ever more things to the increasing pile of free SP recovery items

Making coffee also raises your affection with Sojiro as much/almost as much as hanging out with him, so it's killing two birds with one stone if you're trying to max his S Link whereas afaik if you have a like Persona and make good choices you rank up Haru every time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

darealkooky posted:

there's like two dvd's and a video game that give you multiple 3 note chunks of proficency

How good are vegetables because master coffee and curry are pretty rad

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lakbay posted:

It happens in P4 too when there's fog around and people you talk to sound dead inside (from what I remember)

Collective unconscious is reflected in the real world in persona games so if people are feeling like poo poo things look lovely

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

Making coffee also raises your affection with Sojiro as much/almost as much as hanging out with him, so it's killing two birds with one stone if you're trying to max his S Link whereas afaik if you have a like Persona and make good choices you rank up Haru every time

You level up with Sojiro every time too if you just abuse Fortune enough like you should

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How good are vegetables because master coffee and curry are pretty rad

you can make veggies that fully restore someone's SP in combat

also some that do the same thing as master curry but w/e full SP restore is awesome.

they also take no time slots to make.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Collective unconscious is reflected in the real world in persona games so if people are feeling like poo poo things look lovely

To wit, human thoughts are very powerful. Persona operates under a slight twist on the traditional SMT cosmology: all divine beings, all miracles and magic, all of it is a result of psychic power, born out of the immense and formless mass that is the collective unconscious. In Persona 2, this sea was in a constant state of conflict due to the presence of two deities: one that reflects mankind's creative desire, one that reflects its destructive. Demons and Persona could manifest in the real world, and real world locations could be transformed through the power of nebulous things like rumors.

So the series has a precedent for the collective unconscious interacting with the tangible world, since the very beginning really. Persona 1 is basically about an experiment that causes a whole city to get stuck inside some girl's head.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The soundtrack overall might be hit or miss, but I cannot stop listening to Life Will Change, River in the Desert or The Whims of Fate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/lolibanger/status/855109868612538368

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

The soundtrack overall might be hit or miss, but I cannot stop listening to Life Will Change, River in the Desert or The Whims of Fate.

This game's highs are the highest of the series, it just has a good number of tepid tracks as well. Overall I just think it lacks for variety in some regards, which sadly they opted to provide as paid DLC.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Add Sunset Bridge, Blooming Villain and Willpower to the list and same.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

You feel your relationship with Miku will become closer soon

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Lakbay posted:

I meant more specifically the setup of "random people are having their shadows eaten by other shadows so they become a vegetable" is identical in both games, to the point where I almost wonder if this is atlus trying to retroactively tie things together

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

darealkooky posted:

I meant more specifically the setup of "random people are having their shadows eaten by other shadows so they become a vegetable" is identical in both games, to the point where I almost wonder if this is atlus trying to retroactively tie things together

I think Innocent Sin had a part about people's motivations being stolen after they get cursed by... the Joker, didn't it?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Were there any apathy syndrome people in P4? I thought the only way to interact with shadows was in the TV world, and they just killed your rear end in there.

Although Ameno-Sagiri's plan might have been more along those lines, allowing shadows to manifest in the perpetual fog and consume the minds of people. I can't remember.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I dated Doc Gothula on my original file. Fite Me. :colbert:

The Valentine's scene is great too because she gives you chocolate and is like "And no it's not poison or some kind of experimental drug. This time." Takemi is such a treasure.

Doc Gothula is also a Good Choice.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Were there any apathy syndrome people in P4? I thought the only way to interact with shadows was in the TV world, and they just killed your rear end in there.

Although Ameno-Sagiri's plan might have been more along those lines, allowing shadows to manifest in the perpetual fog and consume the minds of people. I can't remember.

The difference is that people in the TV world are physically there while apathy syndrome/mental shutdown victims just have their shadow self attacked.

P4 still ties into this game though in the sense of reusing ideas though, since palace 4 is basically just another P4 dungeon but for futaba except she accepts her shadow without a boss fight

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

you must know someone skilled at photoshop to give everyone a GET SMOKED hat...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In the end game when the fog is super thick there's people in real Inaba who have apathy syndrome/mental breakdown behavior, but I don't remember if the game calls it that

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hi all, I'm about 6 hours into this game and the whole thing has been one long, unfun, on-rails tutorial. I've played all the Persona games as they came out and I know that they're slow to get moving but this is out of control. At what point does it just turn the reins over to you and become a normal Persona game?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hi all, I'm about 6 hours into this game and the whole thing has been one long, unfun, on-rails tutorial. I've played all the Persona games as they came out and I know that they're slow to get moving but this is out of control. At what point does it just turn the reins over to you and become a normal Persona game?

Took me about 12 hours to get past the tutorial.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Shortest tutorial since 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Like, what are we counting as the tutorial here? As far as I'm concerned, as soon as I can spend my free time doing what I want to, the game has basically started, and I didn't feel like Persona 5 made me wait longer for that than Persona 3/4. Like as soon as Ann joins you're essentially able to do what you want.

That said you're gonna keep getting new gameplay systems introduced and tutorialized for a good while.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got full control over my daily actions around 4 and a half hours in. Y'all are slow.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The tutorial ends after you get stealth halfway into Kamoshida's Palace, basically. If you want to count it until you have full control of your schedule then it's a bit before that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

I was trying to boost kindness then the teacher threw a piece of chalk at me and the game told me I needed to be more proficient so I reloaded my save which was the day before and watched Admission Impossible which ended up maxing my proficiency allowing me to dodge the chalk, boost my charm, and have me all set for Haru.

I feel a murderous intent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

Doc Gothula is also a Good Choice.

Please don't date my girlfriend.

Or any of my other eight girlfriends.