Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

anyone who has an actually oiled maple neck and fretboard should know well enough by now how to take care of it

one would think so, but haha nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

anyone who has an actually oiled maple neck and fretboard should know well enough by now how to take care of it
Would you please expand on this?
I have a lemon-oil cleaner that says, "Do not use on maple fretboards." So I don't. I used to use Dr. Duck's AxeWax.

I am a huge fan of ebony and rosewood, but for various reasons I have a bunch of guitars with maple fretboards. What should I be cleaning them with?

Also, if the BACK of the neck is maple, the sames rules apply; can I assume that?

This is a very interesting topic.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Fair Hallion posted:

that's my retarded teenage guitar story.

this is punk as gently caress, thread needs more of this and less jem wankery

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Would you please expand on this?
I have a lemon-oil cleaner that says, "Do not use on maple fretboards." So I don't. I used to use Dr. Duck's AxeWax.

I am a huge fan of ebony and rosewood, but for various reasons I have a bunch of guitars with maple fretboards. What should I be cleaning them with?

Also, if the BACK of the neck is maple, the sames rules apply; can I assume that?

This is a very interesting topic.

maple is closed grained, so oils don't work as well as they do on open grained woods like rosweood. conversely that's why you have to condition rosewood so it doesn't dry out and crack

naphtha does a pretty good job on maple

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i'm mostly a (godawful) bass player and im ashamed at how tacky basses and bassists are

I've found that for the most part, the more fancy-looking the bass is, the more boring the music is

I guess Primus is sort of a counterexample in that even though I've never been crazy about their music, I wouldn't call it "boring" exactly

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

tacodaemon posted:

I've found that for the most part, the more fancy-looking the bass is, the more boring the music is

I guess Primus is sort of a counterexample in that even though I've never been crazy about their music, I wouldn't call it "boring" exactly

when i saw wire last year they looked mostly bored and colin newman nearly dropped his ipad. it's probably wire's job to look bored

but lewis was rocking out, well as much as wire rocks out anyway :unsmith: you go, postpunkdad

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 16, 2014

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
On the mauled Warmoth parts subject, gotta love when bad body ideas are executed poorly.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

maple is closed grained, so oils don't work as well as they do on open grained woods like rosweood. conversely that's why you have to condition rosewood so it doesn't dry out and crack

naphtha does a pretty good job on maple
Thanks. I always wondered about that.

You know, I think it's weird that this thread likes other peoples' mutilated teenage angst guitars but somehow mine got taken seriously for some reason.

So I'll risk the wrath of the thread again and say, this is my teenage first-guitar story:

My Dad was a stingy dude who played but would never put a guitar in his own son's hands. I know why, but it's a long story and I won't bother with it.
My first guitar was a plywood Made In Korea Kramer Striker 300ST.
At the time it looked pretty great. Double-locking trem (Floyd Rose II, oops), H/S/S with a white body, black pickguard, and five-way switching.

Except the pickups were all microphonic Shallers (spelling?) and the nut buzzed on the B string, so when you restrung it and locked down the B you had to pull it hard to one side to avoid a sitar-like open B. That meant you had to tune it a little slack and hope you could fine tune it with the Floyd once the nut was locked. Often, I'd have to try this several times to get it to tune.

I replaced all the pickups and did what Joe Satriani did with his original home-made guitars: I grabbed a Sharpie pen and started drawing on it. Then, I used my Testor model paints to paint it in.
Yes, I put "You Suck" on it, upside down, so that every time I looked down at it, it would tell me I suck and need to practice more.

Satriani actually signed it.

It's a horrible piece of poo poo (yes, I know, all of my guitars are) but this one doesn't even play and it weighs a ton and I hate it, but this is the way you learn to play: on a P.O.S. that makes you work harder than you should. Then, when you get your first nice guitar, you're able to appreciate it.

It has replacement Gotoh tuners on it because I stole the Kramer tuners for my Strat-style guitar. It has a Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge with the three-way switch for series/parallel/coil-tap and some lovely single coils in it. I hate it, but I played it for a full year before I got anything better. It was High School.

It's been posted before but I'll post it again for your ridicule/amusement. I certainly wasn't taking myself seriously:

I paid $400 of my own money that I made riding my bike to Hardee's after school and on weekends every day for this piece of poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah thx for making my point

you were saying they look the same and aren't interesting. but it's a tool. like a hammer. functionality over form. there is a reason the majority of classical instruments are identical and plain looking

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thanks. I always wondered about that.

You know, I think it's weird that this thread likes other peoples' mutilated teenage angst guitars but somehow mine got taken seriously for some reason.

So I'll risk the wrath of the thread again and say, this is my teenage first-guitar story:

My Dad was a stingy dude who played but would never put a guitar in his own son's hands. I know why, but it's a long story and I won't bother with it.
My first guitar was a plywood Made In Korea Kramer Striker 300ST.
At the time it looked pretty great. Double-locking trem (Floyd Rose II, oops), H/S/S with a white body, black pickguard, and five-way switching.

Except the pickups were all microphonic Shallers (spelling?) and the nut buzzed on the B string, so when you restrung it and locked down the B you had to pull it hard to one side to avoid a sitar-like open B. That meant you had to tune it a little slack and hope you could fine tune it with the Floyd once the nut was locked. Often, I'd have to try this several times to get it to tune.

I replaced all the pickups and did what Joe Satriani did with his original home-made guitars: I grabbed a Sharpie pen and started drawing on it. Then, I used my Testor model paints to paint it in.
Yes, I put "You Suck" on it, upside down, so that every time I looked down at it, it would tell me I suck and need to practice more.

Satriani actually signed it.

It's a horrible piece of poo poo (yes, I know, all of my guitars are) but this one doesn't even play and it weighs a ton and I hate it, but this is the way you learn to play: on a P.O.S. that makes you work harder than you should. Then, when you get your first nice guitar, you're able to appreciate it.

It has replacement Gotoh tuners on it because I stole the Kramer tuners for my Strat-style guitar. It has a Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge with the three-way switch for series/parallel/coil-tap and some lovely single coils in it. I hate it, but I played it for a full year before I got anything better. It was High School.

It's been posted before but I'll post it again for your ridicule/amusement. I certainly wasn't taking myself seriously:

I paid $400 of my own money that I made riding my bike to Hardee's after school and on weekends every day for this piece of poo poo.

that's the best guitar you own

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

"You suck" upside down right next to the Tone knob is awesome. What's the deal with, "What?" on the front and back?

No love for awkward hug, I feel hurt.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 16, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Stux posted:

you were saying they look the same and aren't interesting. but it's a tool. like a hammer. functionality over form. there is a reason the majority of classical instruments are identical and plain looking

yeah, sry

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Stux posted:

that's the best guitar you own

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

"You suck" upside down right next to the Tone knob is awesome. What's the deal with, "What?" on the front and back?

No love for awkward hug, I feel hurt.
I have no loving idea. I was 17. That was like 26 years ago.

Actually, awkward hug made me feel bad and I felt hurt. I thought you were rejecting me, so I felt it was best to not say anything.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I really like you.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

is there a good/legit reason to have a steinberger bass

please talk me into/out of this. i heard the strings are proprietary but apparently a steinberger will never get knocked out of tune accidentally and are indestructible/portable?

i have a squier p bass that's been in use since i was fifteen and is rock solid, except one of the tuning peg thumb things got smashed off somehow. now i tune it with an extra thick pick

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

thats right i play bass with a plectrum

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know a bassist who has two: one L2 boat paddle and one M-series.

They are both loving awesome and they rule the loving roost. Tone for days, not a single issue with temps or humidity, and did I mention tone for days?

Strings are not cheap, but I wish I had one. I love my Spector Legend Classic 5, but this dude gets the most awesome tones out of his 'bergers.

Just my $0.02.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

is there a good/legit reason to have a steinberger bass

please talk me into/out of this. i heard the strings are proprietary but apparently a steinberger will never get knocked out of tune accidentally and are indestructible/portable?

i have a squier p bass that's been in use since i was fifteen and is rock solid, except one of the tuning peg thumb things got smashed off somehow. now i tune it with an extra thick pick

the best reason to own a steinberger is being in a terrible prog or new wave band.

faustus i dunno why ppl knocked that one, its dumb and ugly but in a charming teenager way. i know i certainly put a lot of dumb stickers and painted on my first bass with fingernail polish. and painted even dumber poo poo on my acoustic guitar.

ignore my stupid face, it was a prop in a play in college. there's a rose under my arm, the word "rose" painted on the pickguard, and most embarrassingly and since removed, if you cant make it out, KILLCLEARCHANNEL up on the top of the body. yep.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have no loving idea. I was 17. That was like 26 years ago.

Actually, awkward hug made me feel bad and I felt hurt. I thought you were rejecting me, so I felt it was best to not say anything.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I really like you.

No bad feels. I have an odd sense of humour. It makes work life... interesting. Fire alarm went off a few weeks back. Evacuation is ordered. I walk out into the car park to the evac point and say, "Sorry guys, I just couldn't take it anymore". Turned out the alarm went off because somebody left a cigarette burning by one of the loading bay doors. Disciplinary meeting and psychological evaluation followed because I dared to make a slightly off colour joke in a crisis.

You're a good guy, although you do get a bit weird and overly defensive at times. As a token of let's be internet buddies here's my drunk and silly playing. https://soundcloud.com/oscar-romeo-romeo

You monster.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is depressing.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

shiksa posted:

the best reason to own a steinberger is being in a terrible prog or new wave band.

faustus i dunno why ppl knocked that one, its dumb and ugly but in a charming teenager way. i know i certainly put a lot of dumb stickers and painted on my first bass with fingernail polish. and painted even dumber poo poo on my acoustic guitar.

ignore my stupid face, it was a prop in a play in college. there's a rose under my arm, the word "rose" painted on the pickguard, and most embarrassingly and since removed, if you cant make it out, KILLCLEARCHANNEL up on the top of the body. yep.

youre kind of cute

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is depressing.

did i say i was a good bassist

anyway some songs call for it imo, others don't. like i'll never play radiohead songs with a pick, some punk poo poo, yes (and the stranglers obviously)

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 16, 2014

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Pondex posted:

You can rub gloss finish down to a satin pretty easy with som fine steel wool. Feels much nicer to play on. Oh, and if you want to make noise get a fuzz-box. One of those with lots of knobs on.
Satin finishes get buckle rash super easy though, at least in my experience. It's part of why I'm polishing my "worn cherry" lp to gloss using scratch-x

fyodor posted:

need advice on cleaning my frankenjazzmaster. i remember mineral spirits but what about leftover residue? hope me!

edit: VVVV doesn't that leave a sticky residue *shrug* VVVVV
Just buy a bottle of guitar cleaner/polish from a music store (I use planet waves), use a teatowel for actual gunk (eg on a fretboard, did this yesterday) and a chamois for glossy areas. if there are scratches, scratch-x is the way to go with that, you can get that from automotive stores. Lemon oil is standard for fretboards but it's overrated and often used too regularly, and as muike said it's bad for maple.

Currently cleaning up a guitar of my own, does anyone have advice for removing rust from screws etc? Some of the chrome plating has come off certain other parts so those are a lost cause for further cleaning up but I'd like to make the screws etc shiny again, and mneral turps don't seem to be doing much, especially on the springs.

@Faustus: The "You Suck" guitar story is good, I remember the part about the knob which was kinda lame and made fun of earlier but that was fairly interesting. I kinda regret getting a pacifica for my first guitar (and one that plays nicely) because even after getting somewhat better playing guitars I still play it more than all of them, albeit with pickkup/wiring changes and some other replacement parts.

I also play bass with a plectrum, a .96 gator grip, but I also deliberately play bass like a guitar. I also like the sound of it a lot more than fingerstyle, nice snap, especially because I hit the strings extremely hard because I'm finally able to do so without worrying about breaking them. Bass strings are fairly expensive especially here in Australia where everything is more expensive, but I import most of my strings.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i've heard windex/generic window cleaners work just fine on guitar bodies

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

As a token of let's be internet buddies here's my drunk and silly playing. https://soundcloud.com/oscar-romeo-romeo
That is a surprisingly faithful and good rendition of (drunk) Eruption. I loved it, and the Blues Dad E-Major thing, too.
I'm sorry I misunderstood that you were being nice and I apologize for not giving credit where it was due. Credit: given.

Sleepflower posted:

@Faustus: The "You Suck" guitar story is good,

Sincere thanks to you for kind words.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Just got back from the pub so I'm too drunk to make photo's, but I did the template for the goontar earlier and I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.

I also got in an argument with an old rock guy about AC/DC#s songs all sounding the same, I mentioned that the ramones have only really got 4 songs and he took a swing at me and fell down. That was pretty funny and we both laughed and he brought me like 8 shots of lovely house vodka. A good night.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

one would think so, but haha nope

lmao i literally can't believe faustus posts immediately after you as if to prove your point

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

muike posted:

lmao i literally can't believe faustus posts immediately after you as if to prove your point

to be fair I don't know much about cleaning maple boards either. I don't use my maple board guitar much but yeah.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
unless you paid 4 digits for your guitar you probably don't have to worry, most maple necks and fretboards have urethane or, god forbid, nitrocellulose finishes, even the ones that are satin-smooth instead of garbage gloss

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I'm usually a guitarist but I've also played bass in a couple of bands with friends, and I found that the really important thing is getting your left hand (or right hand, if you play lefty) working well, because fretting notes to sound really rock-solid is surprisingly more involved on a bass than on a guitar

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Is this frowned upon. I am not a bass player, but screw mutilating my fingers.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

unlawfulsoup posted:

Is this frowned upon. I am not a bass player, but screw mutilating my fingers.
Very much so. That said, bass strings are thick enough that they don't really dig into your fingers like guitar strings do.

Also, if you fingerpick with your nails on another instrument your nails tend to catch on the bass strings and sound odd combined with the regular fingerstyle bass sound, but I don't know what the opinion on that is. The main advantage aside from the sound of a pick is probably tremolo picking, though you can sorta do stuff like that with fingers I guess.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 16, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sleepflower posted:

Very much so. That said, bass strings are thick enough that they don't really dig into your fingers like guitar strings do.

One hour of bass playing felt like it did more damage to my fingers than the last month of heavily playing guitar. :/

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

unlawfulsoup posted:

One hour of bass playing felt like it did more damage to my fingers than the last month of heavily playing guitar. :/

I've only had that happen on very old strings that were rusty. On my bass I don't have any serious issues, but then I guess I don't play fingerstyle all that often.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
playing with a pick is ok on bass but only if you can also play with your fingers and are just choosing to use a pick

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

unlawfulsoup posted:

you get used to this, after one or two times of getting a blister underneath a callus your fingers basically become steel cables with meat on them

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
you should only play bass however you want to because who gives a gently caress

seriously, stuff like pick-shaming is up there with buying super rear end-ugly instruments to make bass players a running joke

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

shiksa posted:

you should only play bass however you want to because who gives a gently caress

seriously, stuff like pick-shaming is up there with buying super rear end-ugly instruments to make bass players a running joke

well sure this too though it's still way more fun to play by plucking

giganto picks for bass are great tho when you need them, i have no idea how people who use regular (or thin) guitar picks do it

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
i play bass clawhammer style someone tell me how bad i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Dewgy posted:

well sure this too though it's still way more fun to play by plucking

giganto picks for bass are great tho when you need them, i have no idea how people who use regular (or thin) guitar picks do it

anything less than a millimeter is effectively useless.

i use those cartoonishly thick dunlop big stubbys that wear down after about 2 minutes. just feel so good.

• Locked thread