Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

The best thing about Mika is that he's consistent. He knows what he's good at and that he'll probably die doing it, but not today :black101:

His 'oh poo poo, I have copulated' scene is the most BSOD he gets. At no other point does he falter.

I’d actually disagree with this. In Season One, Mika has doubts about his lifestyle, which he expresses through his interest in farming, his astonishment at Kudelia’s triumph at Dort, and finally in his rant at Orga, where he begs him to justify all he’s been doing. His tragedy is that (a) to win a future for his friends, he’s forced to cripple himself, and (b) that Orga severely misunderstands what his old friend was saying in that train, and decides to fuel his addiction by keeping him on as the centrepiece of Tekkadan’s military might after they both have what they want. From there, Season Two is a long, slow backslide into his worst habits until he and most of his friends end up dead.

Mika does have an arc - but unfortunately, it’s a parabola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah... about that second one...

I think you may be confusing characters. Merribit is the blonde Teiwaz liaison, Fumitan is Kudelia's black haired servant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

I think you may be confusing characters. Merribit is the blonde Teiwaz liaison, Fumitan is Kudelia's black haired servant.

I’m referring to certain events aboard Saisei in Season 2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just looked at RightStuff and there's so much Gundam stuff coming out I hardly know what to do. All of Wing is coming out in the next couple months, including Endless Waltz Bluray just in time to celebrate Christmas. I only ever saw the movie version but I did watch the "original" ending on YT and I actually prefer White Reflection to Last Impression. So it be cool to watch the OVA version at last.

But anyway, there's also IBO Season 1 coming out and a lot of people seem to like that.

What's really getting me though is that the next Thunderbolt BR comes out in December. Seemed like perfect timing for me, I will get the first part next month and then I could scoop up the second part in December. But it's loving $90. This is for the normal version, identically priced to the "4K Ultra HD version." Maybe it's some kind of mistake?

I just want to do my part to support Gundam and show the West cares about the giant robots. (I hope at least Wing sells well)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 28, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I’m referring to certain events aboard Saisei in Season 2.

OK I don't remember what you're referring to at all. Not doubting you, I'm missing it here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mika is also a chracter that in a way becomes a worse person as the series goes on. Eventually crippling himself and giving up entirely on his non combat dreams.

Kudella despite caring about him considers him as someone that never should have existed and wants to make that people like him never exist in the future. Which is a good thing as he is a utterly broken and cold person.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 28, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

OK I don't remember what you're referring to at all. Not doubting you, I'm missing it here.

Lafter getting whacked in a gangland execution.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Lafter getting whacked in a gangland execution.

Ok yes, I thought you were referring to something that happened to Merribit.

Sorry about that everyone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I've put tags on this but don't read it if you haven't watched IBO.

Mika realises he can't do much but execute the commends of Orga and his reliance on the machine in real life reflects it too. I really like Mika, but he is genuinely monstrous throughout the entire series. When Orga loving died I was crestfallen because I knew what was going to happen as a result for the rest of the gang.

I love the entire IBO crew. I want a MG Ryusei-Go Flauros so much.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 29, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JBP posted:

I've put tags on this but don't read it if you haven't watched IBO.

Mika realises he can't do much but execute the commends of Orga and his reliance on the machine in real life reflects it too. I really like Mika, but he is genuinely monstrous throughout the entire series. When Orga loving died I was crestfallen because I knew what was going to happen as a result for the rest of the gang.

I love the entire IBO crew. I want a MG Ryusei-Go Flauros so much.

Tagged so you should probably remove my quote.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm in a Gundam mood and to keep that mood going until next month I decided to give Unicorn another try. I made it to Episode 4 so far as I can recall, last thing I remember was Marida being tortured and revealed as one of those Pie/Puru clones. I think maybe I was just burnt out when I watched Unicorn last time seeing as it was at the tail end of my Gundam marathon.

But what i wanted to ask you guys is, do you feel there's any legitimacy to the accusations of "Zeon apologism" or pro-Zeon bias in the various UC shows or OVAs?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Igloo is the only one that feels strongly pro-Zeon to me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 28, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I could see people taking the original Gundam as pro-Zeon if they focus on the cool suits / cool characters like Ramba Ral and Dozle and Char over, y'know, the whole "you are following in Hitler's footsteps" thing. Zeon are the enemy, but they're depicted fairly realistically, with decent people within the organization and cool stuff...basically like the Nazis. I kind of wish the show had shown the colony drop in more detail, or the gassing of colonies that led to the signing of the Antarctic Treaty, but it didn't.

So it depends on how mature the audience is.

e: LoGH kind of does the same thing? Both sides are treated realistically and with a great deal of thought, and both shows explore the... stagnant democracy that's mostly bureaucracy (or in LoGH's case, corrupt) but it's still the good side, because they're not totalitarianism.

... Hi I've been watching Zeta and I'm fascinated by how it explores the consequence of a scared democracy that smacks a little too much like 9/11 America: because of fear, and a known enemy, it became a police state and led to the creation of the Titans.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 28, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

Igloo is the only that feels strongly pro-Zeon to me.

I haven't seen Igloo but I don't believe it's a thing after seeing several entries, Unicorn primarily, but 08th MS Team, 0083 and occasionally 0080 (all OVAs, since the rest are Tomino shows and exempted automatically) that get accused of it. Zeon in 0079 is humanized and balanced by having both honorable/good people as well as horrible/evil people with the leaders mostly being assholes while the low level guys were usually nice, however the cause itself is never really given much consideration and I think most accusations of Zeonwank are people taking exception to the Zeon being portrayed as a sympathetic cause or with decentish people representing them. So 0083 gets it because Delaz, Gato and Cima are all honorable people, 0080 gets it because the cyclops team has mostly good people and Bernie is a lead character, 08th gets it for Noriss Packard and Unicorn gets it because it attempts to explain why Spacenoids supported Zeon at all as well as having Marida and Zinnerman among it's ranks.

You can't portray a side as sympathetic without making the portrayal itself sympathetic though, which is just as true of 0079, ZZ or Char's Counterattack as it is of any of the OVAs. I think part of the problem and why there is a distinction in some people's mind though is that Tomino tried to show a spectrum in 0079 (and to a lesser extent ZZ and Char's Counterattack), both of morality as well as of class. So you had some low level mooks in 0079 who were decent people (and dickhead mooks in the Federation) as well as nice, if morally objectionable people in Zeon's leadership such as Dozle where the OVAs tend to focus almost entirely on the higher level folks leading things and don't really show infantry or what not.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

StrixNebulosa posted:

So it depends on how mature the audience is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
To be fair, that's a common problem with any almost any media that tries to portray was as bad. Books and documentaries are probably the exception, since books aren't visual and don't overwhelm the senses with superficially cool stimuli while documentaries don't have much battle footage in general, and what's there is usually a lot more grounded than anything in films, TV shows, cartoons, comics etc.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

tsob posted:

I haven't seen Igloo but I don't believe it's a thing after seeing several entries, Unicorn primarily, but 08th MS Team, 0083 and occasionally 0080 (all OVAs, since the rest are Tomino shows and exempted automatically) that get accused of it. Zeon in 0079 is humanized and balanced by having both honorable/good people as well as horrible/evil people with the leaders mostly being assholes while the low level guys were usually nice, however the cause itself is never really given much consideration and I think most accusations of Zeonwank are people taking exception to the Zeon being portrayed as a sympathetic cause or with decentish people representing them. So 0083 gets it because Delaz, Gato and Cima are all honorable people, 0080 gets it because the cyclops team has mostly good people and Bernie is a lead character, 08th gets it for Noriss Packard and Unicorn gets it because it attempts to explain why Spacenoids supported Zeon at all as well as having Marida and Zinnerman among it's ranks.

You can't portray a side as sympathetic without making the portrayal itself sympathetic though, which is just as true of 0079, ZZ or Char's Counterattack as it is of any of the OVAs. I think part of the problem and why there is a distinction in some people's mind though is that Tomino tried to show a spectrum in 0079 (and to a lesser extent ZZ and Char's Counterattack), both of morality as well as of class. So you had some low level mooks in 0079 who were decent people (and dickhead mooks in the Federation) as well as nice, if morally objectionable people in Zeon's leadership such as Dozle where the OVAs tend to focus almost entirely on the higher level folks leading things and don't really show infantry or what not.

I am similarly dismissive of the accusations. The only one I can kinda understand is Stardust Memory. The thing 0083 lacks when compared to MS Team for example is balance. I have never encountered a less likable group of "heroes" in Gundam than the protagonists of 0083. Kou is both incompetent and unlikable, mustache guy is a universally agreed upon rear end in a top hat and I never even finished the series but I hear Kou and Nina at least only get worse in the last few episodes. Meanwhile, Gato is honorable space samurai and I remember Delaz had a pretty cool speech.

Meanwhile, over in 08th MS Team, the...MS Team were cool folks. They're all decent and likable. In fact, both Feddies and Zekes are really humanized in the series. They're all just grunts on the ground.

When both sides are presented well, it's hard to accuse a show of bias. But I don't think there was a single decent representative of the Federation in Stardust Memory so it's easy to see why it gets labeled as pro-Zeon.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 28, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
South Burning is a cool guy at the very least, and Keith is a good friend too. Really, I think Kou was meant to be likable, but was just badly written and so comes off as unlikable to many despite the intentions rather than being written to be a dick or anything. I'm pretty sure the Albion's captain, Synapse, was a decent guy too, though it's been years so I may have forgotten something. The Zeon side of things is almost entirely honorable guys, and Delaz goes down urging his subordinate to succeed in a way that doubles down on his honorable trait while Gato goes down in a suicide charge to a fairly heroic song because he's too proud to be captured and wants to ensure some of his comrades escape so it's easy to see where the accusations in that one come from, even if I don't agree with them.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 28, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

South Burning is a cool guy at the very least, and Keith is a good friend too. Really, I think Kou was meant to be likable, but was just badly written and so comes off as unlikable to many despite the intentions rather than being written to be a dick or anything. I'm pretty sure the Albion's captain, Synapse, was a decent guy too, though it's been years so I may have forgotten something. The Zeon side of things is almost entirely honorable guys, and Delaz goes down urging his subordinate to succeed in a way that doubles down on his honorable trait while Gato goes down in a suicide charge to a fairly heroic song because he's too proud to be captured and wants to ensure some of his comrades escape so it's easy to see where the accusations in that one come from, even if I don't agree with them.

It’s not hard to see why someone getting a big, heroic sendoff after helping commit one of the larger acts of mass-murder in the franchise might rustle a few jimmies.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Outside of Shiro and Aina's extremely rushed romance and Shiro suddenly being like "gently caress both the Federation and Zeon" despite not really seeing the former do anything too bad and the latter kind of... gassed his home colony, I never had any complaints about the 08th MS Team cast. Even Eledore and Michel being obnoxious at times served a point and they grew as characters because of it. And on the Zeon side, you do have people like Norris and that tank commander voiced by Lord Zedd who were pretty cool people.

On 0083, South Burning is cool... Keith and Mora are kind of there, but unoffensive. But Kou is a bit of a dweeb. Everyone on the Federation side is just... there, or is absolutely insufferable like Nina.

I never really liked Delaz and Gato all that much. Gato drank that Zeon koolaid a little too much and hard, and he seems to gloss over the horrifying poo poo that Zeon did in Operation British and the first few months of the OYW, despite how it should be relatively common knowledge given their dislike of Cima (in which she is also in a bit of a lovely situation and was left holding the ball for one of the gassings). Like, I guess it works if you have limited knowledge of what actually happened in the OYW and all you know is that "Federation and Zeon had a war three years ago." But if you do... man, gently caress all of those Delaz Fleet guys.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MechaX posted:

Outside of Shiro and Aina's extremely rushed romance and Shiro suddenly being like "gently caress both the Federation and Zeon" despite not really seeing the former do anything too bad and the latter kind of... gassed his home colony, I never had any complaints about the 08th MS Team cast. Even Eledore and Michel being obnoxious at times served a point and they grew as characters because of it. And on the Zeon side, you do have people like Norris and that tank commander voiced by Lord Zedd who were pretty cool people.

On 0083, South Burning is cool... Keith and Mora are kind of there, but unoffensive. But Kou is a bit of a dweeb. Everyone on the Federation side is just... there, or is absolutely insufferable like Nina.

I never really liked Delaz and Gato all that much. Gato drank that Zeon koolaid a little too much and hard, and he seems to gloss over the horrifying poo poo that Zeon did in Operation British and the first few months of the OYW, despite how it should be relatively common knowledge given their dislike of Cima (in which she is also in a bit of a lovely situation and was left holding the ball for one of the gassings). Like, I guess it works if you have limited knowledge of what actually happened in the OYW and all you know is that "Federation and Zeon had a war three years ago." But if you do... man, gently caress all of those Delaz Fleet guys.

Their entire goal was to repeat Operation British. Of course they knew.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Their entire goal was to repeat Operation British. Of course they knew.

For the colony drop, sure. Although I guess the distinction is that they wanted to starve Earth this time rather than lobbing a nuke-filled colony onto Federation HQ.

I was just referring to things like the colony gassings of other spacenoids and Zeon's own nuke use (technically both before and after the Antarctic Treaty, depending on which version of Odessa one wants to go with). And despite all of this, in one instance, Gato makes a point to emphasize that the Federation is more evil because.. uh... they had a nuke Gundam that they may or may not have used on Axis one day if they wanted to start poo poo back up.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 28, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm in a Gundam mood and to keep that mood going until next month I decided to give Unicorn another try. I made it to Episode 4 so far as I can recall, last thing I remember was Marida being tortured and revealed as one of those Pie/Puru clones. I think maybe I was just burnt out when I watched Unicorn last time seeing as it was at the tail end of my Gundam marathon.

But what i wanted to ask you guys is, do you feel there's any legitimacy to the accusations of "Zeon apologism" or pro-Zeon bias in the various UC shows or OVAs?

You're on Episode 4 of Unicorn. That episode gives you the answer to any Zeon "legitimacy". It's a load of bullshit used by bitter old losers like Zinnerman to justify atrocities through eye for an eye analogies.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If there is one thing that's sadly interesting nowadays, it's that I have a better understanding of just how possible it is for some people to buy into ideologies like Zeon's. I mean, I still don't know why exactly, but current events have proven that people can and will support some blatantly reprehensible poo poo despite all odds.

Not a fun revelation, but considering I thought most diehard Zeon supporters up to this point were just being contrarian, it's an eye opener.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 28, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shinjobi posted:

If there is one thing that's sadly interesting nowadays, it's that I have a better understanding of just how possible it is for so people to buy into ideologies like Zeon's. I mean, I still don't know why exactly, but current events have proven that people can and will support some blatantly reprehensible poo poo despite all odds.

Not a fun revelation, but considering I thought most diehard Zeon supporters up to this point were just being contrarian, it's an eye opener.

Here's my guess as to why someone can buy into Zeon: hatred is really, really potent and it feels good to point to someone and go "YOU'RE EVIL". Then do it with a crowd and that feels so insanely empowering and inspiration. Toss in some conviction that what you're doing is right, and...there you go.

What's scary to me is that it's just as potent if you're down to kill Nazis or if you down to kill brown people.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's scary to me is that it's just as potent if you're down to kill Nazis or if you down to kill brown people.

It doesn't particularly matter who it is. It's incredibly easy to demonize a group of people if you never see them as anything but a group with pre-established values, be them "steals from everyone", "kills jews", "opresses the colonies", etc. You only need someone that has the extreme charisma to move another group of people to attack them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s not hard to see why someone getting a big, heroic sendoff after helping commit one of the larger acts of mass-murder in the franchise might rustle a few jimmies.

The ending of 0083 definitely leaned really hard into the "Look at the noble, heroic sacrifice of these Brave Nazi Aviators" in a way that's pretty uncomfortable considering Gato deployed a nuclear weapon in a surprise first strike against a fleet review and then moved smoothly into being instrumental in facilitating a colony drop atrocity.

MechaX posted:

For the colony drop, sure. Although I guess the distinction is that they wanted to starve Earth this time rather than lobbing a nuke-filled colony onto Federation HQ.

I was just referring to things like the colony gassings of other spacenoids and Zeon's own nuke use (technically both before and after the Antarctic Treaty, depending on which version of Odessa one wants to go with). And despite all of this, in one instance, Gato makes a point to emphasize that the Federation is more evil because.. uh... they had a nuke Gundam that they may or may not have used on Axis one day if they wanted to start poo poo back up.

When it came time to drink the Kool Aid, Anavel Gato dunked his head in the punch bowl and inhaled. Every awful, horrific atrocity that Zeon commits is simply a necessary step for spacenoid independence while every bad thing the Federation does is simply more proof of their inherent evil and justification for the aforementioned atrocities. If Cima had proudly embraced her role in the gassings and became a "necessary sacrifices" SIEG ZEON spouting robot, she would have been Gato's best friend. He hates her because she's insufficiently devoted to The Cause, not because she committed an atrocity. Remember Gato's role in Stardust: his first mission was to fire a weapon of mass destruction at a bunch of defenseless, unprepared soldiers on parade, then he moved over to escort duty for a loving colony drop. He is 100% down with massive war crimes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kanos posted:

The ending of 0083 definitely leaned really hard into the "Look at the noble, heroic sacrifice of these Brave Nazi Aviators" in a way that's pretty uncomfortable considering Gato deployed a nuclear weapon in a surprise first strike against a fleet review and then moved smoothly into being instrumental in facilitating a colony drop atrocity.

To be entirely fair, anything who knows a bit about nukes should realize the entire thing regarding the fleet review is completely ridiculous in terms of how much damage it dealt. In terms of destructiveness they really don't work well in space, so really he'd have destroyed the target ship and a few in extremely close proximity and that's about it.

Not that this remotely detracts from the points regarding Stardust Memory being uncomfortable with its possible glorification of Zeon's efforts, what with them also colony dropping and all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lord Koth posted:

To be entirely fair, anything who knows a bit about nukes should realize the entire thing regarding the fleet review is completely ridiculous in terms of how much damage it dealt. In terms of destructiveness they really don't work well in space, so really he'd have destroyed the target ship and a few in extremely close proximity and that's about it.

Not that this remotely detracts from the points regarding Stardust Memory being uncomfortable with its possible glorification of Zeon's efforts, what with them also colony dropping and all.

Yeah 0083's portrayal of the GP02's nuke is ludicrous and is more in line with something like a Colony Laser or Solar Ray blast than nuclear weapons in the Gundam setting, but the narrative is built around the concept of the GP02's atomic bazooka being able to wipe out basically the entire naval review. The proto-Titans wouldn't have bothered to engineer the situation to begin with and the Delaz Fleet wouldn't have bothered with the entire expensive and difficult Gundamjack to blow up a couple ships.

0083 is plagued with bizarre takes on tech compared to other entries in the franchise, with super-agile flying doom fortress mobile armors that move like Macross Valkyries despite being the size of battleships and despite MAs from significantly later in the timeline like the Psyco Gundams and the Alpha Azieru not showing a tenth of that level of mobility, two guys in a garage being able to repair and rebuild a fully functional example of said mobile armors, and the aforementioned Most Powerful Nuke Ever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Space Future Nukes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The GP02's nuclear bazooka is a casaba howitzer, it makes sense. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah 0083's portrayal of the GP02's nuke is ludicrous and is more in line with something like a Colony Laser or Solar Ray blast than nuclear weapons in the Gundam setting, but the narrative is built around the concept of the GP02's atomic bazooka being able to wipe out basically the entire naval review. The proto-Titans wouldn't have bothered to engineer the situation to begin with and the Delaz Fleet wouldn't have bothered with the entire expensive and difficult Gundamjack to blow up a couple ships.

0083 is plagued with bizarre takes on tech compared to other entries in the franchise, with super-agile flying doom fortress mobile armors that move like Macross Valkyries despite being the size of battleships and despite MAs from significantly later in the timeline like the Psyco Gundams and the Alpha Azieru not showing a tenth of that level of mobility, two guys in a garage being able to repair and rebuild a fully functional example of said mobile armors, and the aforementioned Most Powerful Nuke Ever.

I'd honestly blanked some of that latter stuff from memory, but you're right. All that crap is probably yet another reason people dislike 0083, even aside from the aforementioned mostly/completely unlikeable main characters, even if they don't consciously realize it, because it just does not remotely match up with where it is in the timeline - or even just with UC's pseudo-realism at all in some cases.

Honestly the show probably could have worked better if they'd just have the Gundamjack of Physalis be more about revealing the breach of the Antarctic Treaty it symbolically represented to accomplish their stated goal of weakening the Federation, rather than it magically being a superweapon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Did people said the 80 music because the second half of this is actually one of my favorite Gundam musics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9RcDDQE98

Something about it always works for me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mika is also a chracter that in a way becomes a worse person as the series goes on. Eventually crippling himself and giving up entirely on his non combat dreams.

Kudella despite caring about him considers him as someone that never should have existed and wants to make that people like him never exist in the future. Which is a good thing as he is a utterly broken and cold person.

Broken, yes. Cold, I'm less sure. He does care about people, in his damaged, halting way.

I'm also less than sure about Kudelia being confident in "Should never have existed". There should never be a world in need of people like him, of course. And the fact his son will never follow in his footsteps is about the best legacy he could leave. But in a certain time, in a certain place, there was a need for Mika, or someone like him. Which made the tragedy worse. Unhappy is the land that needs a hero. Worse off still is the land that needs someone like Mikazuki Augus.

Kudelia and Atra's misfortune is seeing just enough of what he could have been to know what he lost. Mika's ability to last so long came, in large part, from being able to put that knowledge aside.

He was what he needed to be. And then he stayed that way until he was no longer needed at all.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I always figured that the reason why the nuke was a big deal in 0083 was because of the time it was created. Tail end the 80s was still during cold war, when the show was still in production.

Around that time people were worried the US and Russia would nuke each other and end the world.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

When it came time to drink the Kool Aid, Anavel Gato dunked his head in the punch bowl and inhaled. Every awful, horrific atrocity that Zeon commits is simply a necessary step for spacenoid independence while every bad thing the Federation does is simply more proof of their inherent evil and justification for the aforementioned atrocities.

If Gato had shown some introspection and at any point considered the cost of what he was planning to do, along with whether it was worth it he'd probably be a lot more tolerable. Even if after considering those things he decides the Federation needs to be fought, the Colony needs to be dropped and the cost is worth it the fact he thought about it at all would make him more human and relatable on it's own. As is, he just comes off as an emotional propaganda bot and the worst thing about 0083: Rebellion is that he's basically the same character there, if not even more of a stick in the mud (at least from what I read of it, which was two volumes if I recall) and the mangaka(s) never took the chance to humanize him.

Kanos posted:

If Cima had proudly embraced her role in the gassings and became a "necessary sacrifices" SIEG ZEON spouting robot, she would have been Gato's best friend. He hates her because she's insufficiently devoted to The Cause, not because she committed an atrocity.

That might have been the intention, but I'm not sure it plays out that way anymore. Mayfly of Space II has her Sieg Zeon'ing at Axis during the final battle of the One Year War when she thinks she's about to die and she seems to still be quite faithful to the cause in those scenes. What appears to break her is not that she's scapegoated for the colony drop, but that she was asked to hand over her ship to get a pardon and she wasn't willing to give up the Lily Marleen so instead spent years wandering space as a fugitive from both sides.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

tsob posted:

If Gato had shown some introspection and at any point considered the cost of what he was planning to do, along with whether it was worth it he'd probably be a lot more tolerable. Even if after considering those things he decides the Federation needs to be fought, the Colony needs to be dropped and the cost is worth it the fact he thought about it at all would make him more human and relatable on it's own. As is, he just comes off as an emotional propaganda bot and the worst thing about 0083: Rebellion is that he's basically the same character there, if not even more of a stick in the mud (at least from what I read of it, which was two volumes if I recall) and the mangaka(s) never took the chance to humanize him.

I was actually thinking about reading Rebellion since I just learned it existed the other day. But I'm not surprised Gato is the same zealous character from the OVA series. I think it would be completely missing the point of Gato's appeal if you "humanized" him. Thing is, people like Gato absolutely do exist in real life. The reason you and I can't really relate to him is because we're not fanatics. But fanatics do exist in all walks of life. They live their days with a certainty that we can only dream of. It allows some of them to commit terrible crimes without missing a step. It's a good thing we can't really get inside Gato's head, to be honest.

But that "idealized" zealot is what makes Gato likable to many. A Gundam MC is characterized first and foremost by doubt, uncertainty, angst... That's good because these are typically child soldiers and if they didn't have some level of trauma, it be a problem. But here comes Anavel Gato, a man with no reservations, no doubts, no hesitation. He has a purpose and he's willing to sacrifice almost anything for it. It's a very alluring image, even if the person and their purpose is repugnant. Even Tomino wasn't adverse o romanticizing this, look at Garma and Dozle's deaths. (although they are the "good Zabis" and the "bad Zabis" go out like punks) A group of Titans (or maybe just regular Earth forces, I can't remember) also all solemnly and heroically give their lives in Zeta to try and stop our heroes.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 29, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The technology complaints about 0083 feel silly to me. Tech in Gundam is super fluid, funnels appear and disappear during the UC timeline, as well as psy-commu systems. The fact that these prototype suits are super maneuverable isn't crazy it's just how they are this time. The Titans were all about spectacle, comparing the units in 0083 to Zeta may feel timeline appropriate, but they were all made for different purposes. The suits in 0079 are versatile and whatever happened to the learning AI Gundam brain from there?

Tech comes and goes and suits whatever story the director/writers/producers wanted to tell. Nit picking how stuff should have fit is just silly. Look at Thunderbolt (which I really enjoy) the super suits in that one should fall under the same scope of complaint but I haven't seen anyone gripe about it there. It looks good, and modern animation can allow for faster motion action than the 80s. I think that has some to do with it as well. 0083 is absolutely gorgeous whatever you think of the characters or plot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The suits in 0079 are versatile and whatever happened to the learning AI Gundam brain from there?

It was used to make the GMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Did people said the 80 music because the second half of this is actually one of my favorite Gundam musics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9RcDDQE98

Something about it always works for me.

Not really working for me. The only song I particularly enjoy from 0080 is the end credits theme, because it hits home hard.

Now, 08th MS Team, that had an amazing soundtrack. VII that plays during the Gouf battle is awesome.