Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Yue posted:

Is there a part of the country where "gas station" and "convenience store" aren't synonymous? Is that a west coast thing?

I grew up on/live on the east coast, and to me, a convenience store is often part of a gas station, but not all gas stations have convenience stores, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I want bad coop to fight good coop, one punch man, sarah palmer, and the uzi wielding accountant in one big melee.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Origami Dali posted:

I want bad coop to fight good coop, one punch man, sarah palmer, and the uzi wielding accountant in one big melee.

I always envisioned a sort of Royal Rumble-like event going down.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

This, but while Candy Sandie and Mandy look on gormlessly

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

holy loving poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really am annoyed about the deaths of the dumbassassins. The person who compared them to Tarantino characters the other week is right- their dialogue is intentionally disconnected and aloof regarding the plot we the viewers care about, they're funny in a grounded and realistic way when everything else is serious, overall their characters serve no real purpose but they're still entertaining, and their deaths were completely pointless and unnecessary. But it's the last part that I'm bothered about.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
"What the gently caress kind of neighborhood is this??"
"People are under a lot of stress, Bradley."

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Mike Danger posted:

I grew up on/live on the east coast, and to me, a convenience store is often part of a gas station, but not all gas stations have convenience stores, if that makes sense.

The convenience store from ep 8 and that Booper goes to pretty clearly has gas pumps in front.

No Mods No Masters posted:

This, but while Candy Sandie and Mandy look on gormlessly

No, Candy will totally get in there with her remote control. Sandie and Mandy will just sit there being eternally bitter that they don't get any lines.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Uhhh Chantal and Hutch's deaths totally had a point: don't block people's driveways.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I should probably find time to watch FWWM.

I actually teared up when Coop came back. It's like...things matter again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oneforthevine posted:

Uhhh Chantal and Hutch's deaths totally had a point: don't block people's driveways.

They weren't blocking his driveway! They weren't even loving close! Didn't you hear Chantal!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mike Danger posted:

Growing up in New Orleans (southern US), it was the same way, although I think we have more convenience stores than gas stations.

If I was going to a gas station with a convenience store attached and I was getting a drink at the convenience store after filling up my gas tank, for example, I’d just say I was going to the gas station because gas is mainly what I’m going there for.

But if I’m going to a convenience store with no gas pumps, I’d call it a convenience store because that’s its main function.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
It just occurred to me, and I haven't thought about it for years, much less in respect to Twin Peaks, but was "Convenience" an actual store brand name? I haven't seen one in years and maybe the company no longer exists. But if so, did the company take its name from the concept, or did "convenience store" become a term from the brand, much like we often call facial tissues "Kleenex"?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

every night i kiss my Dale Cooper life-size cardborad standup on the Lips and I make a prayer that he will be returned unto us by our great television friends Lynch and Frist and i feel the energy burning in me

he will return!! god wills it 2017

:love: Coop's just as dreamy as I remember. :swoon:

And More posted:

Nah, someone brought up that Diane might be a sleeper agent. The message she gets "Around the dinner table, the conversation is lively" is quite similar to the whole "This is the water" poem. So I suggested that maybe Mr. C hypnotised both her and Audrey into helping him.

In retrospect, it seems more likely that Diane works together with Phillip Jeffries. The message she gets is slightly different from the one Mr. C sends.

So, Diane was a sleeper agent, but she was also raped and taken to the black lodge and a doppelganger. I guess we were all right, somehow. Also, the difference in spelling was a complete red herring. :shrug:

Also also, RIP Dick Horne, you were awful, but so is your dad. I still don't believe that he had magical evil genes or whatever.

Section 9 posted:

On the thought of Naido sounding like Diane backwards, I did a test, and it comes out more as "Naiad". So I don't think Naido is necessarily Diane's real spirit or anything. Diane is actually a water nymph. This is lampshaded by the musical act from last week playing a song entitled Axolotl, as they are a sort of a creature that could be described in an abstract way as a water nymph.

Naido backwards is Odain.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Section 9 posted:

It just occurred to me, and I haven't thought about it for years, much less in respect to Twin Peaks, but was "Convenience" an actual store brand name? I haven't seen one in years and maybe the company no longer exists. But if so, did the company take its name from the concept, or did "convenience store" become a term from the brand, much like we often call facial tissues "Kleenex"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convenience_store?wprov=sfla1

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I wonder what happens if you order the cooper cardboard cutout now

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That episode was loving fantastic.

If you think that the Hutch/Chantal storyline was a "red herring" because of how it ended then I honestly feel a little bit like you missed the point, but then this episode was literally FULL of weird surrealistic/post-modern bits.

I almost feel like Hutch/Chantal dying because they were dicks and parked too close to the wrong guy's driveway is totally appropriate! What it reminded me a little bit of was the scene from Lost Highway with Mr. Eddie and the tail-gater. Lynch takes the rules of the road VERY seriously as we all know! It's a matter of public safety, after all.

And I was grinning from ear to ear like a goddamn idiot from the moment Cooper woke up for basically the rest of the episode. Really tough not to grin like an idiot at that. Cooper acting like full-on Cooper immediately is great. He also seems to know things, like how to ask MIKE to make a Tulpa of himself for him. And I don't know what he plans to do with it either, but I actually think it's going to figure into his plan for outsmarting Evil Coop, not to be a "replacement Cooper" for either the FBI or Janey-E and Sonny Jim. I hope Cooper gets to have it all in the end, family and work in harmony :unsmith:

Anyway, yeah. I also found the Diane scene to be deeply tense and unsettling. I really thought she was just going to go in there and plug Gordon at ANY moment, especially when she pulled out her cigarettes and not the gun.

Diane's Tulpa turning back into a seed looked kinda different from when Dougie-Tulpa turned into a seed. But it probably doesn't mean much. I think "naido" nearly sorta being "Diane" backwards or very close to it could be meaningful, but I'm not convinced.

I am really sincerely psyched about next week, though. I also was really baffled by the ending, as I am sure others were.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I Am The FBI

Omg I cheered

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

I'll admit that I only skimmed the US part of the article, and saw nothing about a store named "Convenience" but I distinctly remember the yellow and orange sign that said "Convenience" around the north Chicago suburbs in the 80's.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Section 9 posted:

I'll admit that I only skimmed the US part of the article, and saw nothing about a store named "Convenience" but I distinctly remember the yellow and orange sign that said "Convenience" around the north Chicago suburbs in the 80's.

Was there someone who flicked matches at you too

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

: - ) ALL.

This is the best drama ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hutch and Chantal are Tarantino characters. They're 25% of The Hateful Eight!

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

Was there someone who flicked matches at you too

Oh poo poo it's all coming back now! (flies rapidly up off camera with unsatisfying special effects)

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Having an awful and annoying singer is Part of the Twin Peaks Mythos

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Wondering what the ultimate significance of "Richard and Linda" will be, what with Richard vaporized and all

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Did Diane receive the smiley text at 4:30?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

Hutch and Chantal are Tarantino characters. They're 25% of The Hateful Eight!

Oh yeah, that's true. Huh.

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

She sure did

edit: Well, it was 4:31, but yes

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 28, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Wondering what the ultimate significance of "Richard and Linda" will be, what with Richard vaporized and all

He probably got zapped into the lodge, it was a trap for Booper after all.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'm glad Cooper woke up knowing everything and then some. A lot had speculated that he'd be "Broken Cooper" or just have hazy memories of his time as Dougie, but I'm glad it's full speed ahead. I wonder if Cooper has any of Dougie's pre-Coop memories, or if he was just observing him from the lodge all these years.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

My guess is that the real coop isn't going to make it by the end and therefore is engaging mike to create another tulpa dougie to take care of Janey-E and Sonny Jim after he's gone. Hence his promise that he'd come back through that red door again.

I'm also wondering if the original dougie was made by coop all along as it seems like he knows how Mike makes them.

G-III fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 28, 2017

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Richard was fuckin vaporized, he's done.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Section 9 posted:

Oh poo poo it's all coming back now! (flies rapidly up off camera with unsatisfying special effects)

uh I think you mean unsettling special effects :smug:

I seriously love the special effects. And Diane-tulpa reverting to that weird big CGI orb is just like what happened to the original Dougie, same wonky effects except with Dougie there was this black oval thing that looked like it had broken glass around it and was oozing black stuff. Diane didn't have the 2-D black oozey thing, just the weird floating orb and stuff before she turned back into a seed.

Also, 'Naido' really is Japanese for 'No-One'. Perhaps she has something to do with the production of the tulpas, in some strange way.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

G-III posted:

My guess is that the real coop isn't going to make it by the end and therefore is engaging mike to create another tulpa dougie to take care of Janey-E and Sonny Jim after he's gone. Hence his promise that he'd come back through that red door again.

The last tulpa-Dougie was an alcoholic overweight philanderer and problem gambler who went on multi-day benders and employed prostitutes though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

G-III posted:

Yeah, that's where my head is too. I think both Coops are going to destroy/return each other and Dougie will return home to Janey-E and Sonny Jim.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love how when Cooper was taking control the theme song started playing like this was some goofy Dragon Ball episode or something.

And I mean that unironically. It loving owned.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I love how when Cooper was taking control the theme song started playing like this was some goofy Dragon Ball episode or something.

It's like "The Return" actually started!

edit:
I wouldn't be surprised if from here on out it was almost all Badalamenti music.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

The doppelganger couldn't send it while close to that rock, so presumably he is already in Twin Peaks when Diane goes gun crazy.

kaworu posted:

The last tulpa-Dougie was an alcoholic overweight philanderer and problem gambler who went on multi-day benders and employed prostitutes though

Maybe evil doppelgangers create evil chalupas and good people create good chalupas.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Raxivace posted:

This made me laugh so much because from a DBZ point of view it's like we've all been waking for Goku to show up and kick some rear end AND HERE HE IS FINALLY!

It totally felt like that

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People flying off screen like deflating balloons has been funny to me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!

Papa John Misty posted:

They really should have named him something less silly

Alternate Cooper

As opposed to Dale Cooper

AC DC