Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

72 virgins, one of each gender, is what you get in pansexual paradise.

Also in the circle of hell waiting for glinner.

hard to believe anyone would want to gently caress Glinner, even as a demonic punishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pro click
https://twitter.com/OracleFilmsUK/status/1790519425474699312

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

hard to believe anyone would want to gently caress Glinner, even as a demonic punishment
Nah they're just chilling and sitting in weird poses on furniture while he constantly seethes, never to know what genitals they have.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm honestly hoping these drugs become a lot more established and reliable in the next few years, 'cos I'd love a magic pill that I could buy over the counter and would slim me down to my desired weight.

May I (not) recommend chemotherapy?

All I need to now is keep the weight off once it's over...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bugman I greatly recommend a book called What Color Is Your Parachute which has loads of exercises to discover what you like doing etc.
They issue a new one every year but if you can get hold of a secondhand copy I wouldn't worry overmuch about the year.
https://parachutebook.com/

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i don't know 80 people

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A job hunt requires 80 pairs of eyes and ears? It's a job, not a missing child

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Get a job working for Prince Andrew and it can be both.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently the 72 is the number of slides not the number of genders.
It does correlate strongly with the muslamic notion of 72 virgins waiting for them in paradise.
Perfect for Tory culture wars.

I bet the 'evidence' was provided by Katherine Birbalsingh, who taught the lesson herself to ensure the fidelity of said evidence

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, she must have been reciting the 27 types of pasta article from her infallible memory.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i don't know 80 people

Same

Name 100 women - easy
Name 80 people you know personally - gently caress

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Not sure I really know eight people tbh :smith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you get stuck into LinkedIn you can befriend hundreds of wankers

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you get stuck into LinkedIn you can befriend hundreds of wankers
Can confirm. It won't get you a job, but it's a great way to make your life worse.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

cat botherer posted:

Can confirm. It won't get you a job, but it's a great way to make your life worse.

I think it depends on your field. My brother in law has got heaps of training gigs (very niche area) from it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
LinkedIn is full of HR ghouls, business grifters, and people you vaguely met once on a training course.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, it's quite odd.

You can kill someone as easily with an iklwa, which has no use other than stabbing people and some fairly niche hunting that you can't do in the UK, and you'd think given British history they'd be up for some anti-African handwringing. You can even call them 'Zulu spears' if you need a snappy two word phrase that makes you sound a bit chauvinist.

Instead, they're doing 'ninja swords', the hot sequel to 'samurai swords', 'ninja stars', 'kung-fu sticks', and every other bizarre panic about East Asia.

Okay, so I have a theory about this.

Bear with me. It goes to some strange places.

But basically, it's the fault of two men.

Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus.

For those who said, "Who?" I'll explain. They were two Israeli cousins who ended up taking over a movie studio (Canon films) in 1979.

They turned around the studios' fortunes by focusing on making low-budget movies and targeting the straight to video and international markets.
They ended up doing a lot of low-budget action movies that you've heard of (like Death Wish and Invasion USA.)

But one film they did was a 1981 film called "Enter the Ninja".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enter_the_Ninja

Now I'm not saying this film was the first asian inspired action movie to target a Western audience.
Martial arts films were a thing for a long while. The novels Shogun and The Ninja by Eric Van Lustbader had been out by this point.

But this film sparked a craze of Eastern and Ninja inspired action films.(Helped by Canon under G&G doing a ton of Ninja movies themselves before other studios followed suit
Without this, you don't get Frank Miller introducing the Hand to Daredevil. You don't get Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a parody (before it became its own serious thing).
And so on.

So what does this have to do with laws?
It's not that these types of weapons are particularly prevalent in crimes. My own anecdotal experience is that most knife or sharp weapon crime happens as a result of people using steak knives, bread knives, screw drivers, or gardening tools like sheers or slash hooks
Basically, things can easily be got by someone desperate to mug someone in the street for money or something someone can easily grab when their temper is up as part of a fight.

But these type of knives are ultimately tools, something with so much legitimate uses that to legislate against them is too much of a pain (and unlikely to do anything).

Then why the "Samurai swords." Well, if you are looking at crimes where swords in particular are used (as opposed to one's where knives or tools are used. I mean an actual "thing that is supposed to be a weapon.") There does exist a bunch of badly made, but still vaguely shaped like , Katana's and all sorts of similar looking derivative swords.
Disproportionately, they were popular and owned by people, more so then most other people. Why? Is it because they do +2 damage compared to other swords*?

No it's because so many of them were sold and basically the worst kind of dickhead, the kind to buy a sword "for a laugh" and then end up using it when some crime needed doing, ended up buying them.

So you got some very tabloid friendly crimes being committed by people armed with these "weapons", because Western Society spent the last 40 years making them all seem cool and popular.

*= Old school World of Darkness RPG's had Katana's do more damage than other swords. Because "they are cool." Which is part of the overall problem.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Cannon filmography is wild. From Deathwish sequels to Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead remake, Masters of the Universe to Bloodsport, Cobra to the internet meme Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo to the Oscar nominated Otello. A whole host of films that probably wouldn't get today in the highly conservative Hollywood. A lot of it is pretty awful genre schlock but sometimes you want genre schlock

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

The Cannon filmography is wild. From Deathwish sequels to Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead remake, Masters of the Universe to Bloodsport, Cobra to the internet meme Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo to the Oscar nominated Otello. A whole host of films that probably wouldn't get today in the highly conservative Hollywood. A lot of it is pretty awful genre schlock but sometimes you want genre schlock

The Ninja trilogy is in particular some of the finest genre schlock that exists. All three are amazing in their own ways.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cannon even did particularly well in the UK, ended up operating a good amount of our cinemas. The former ABC on Sauchiehall St in Glasgow used to be a Cannon-owned cinema, for example.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I love this. It’s driving them nuts that these students have adopted the self same policy as Cabinet Collective Responsibilty and will only speak to the media they want to speak to through an elected spokesperson.

https://twitter.com/gbnews/status/1791224630302163392?s=46

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
Now imagine if you will, a government minister chasing down random pro-Israeli protestors demanding to know their identity on live television like a fascist Anneka Rice, shown on a TV channel staffed almost exclusively by ideologues

However what Sue Ellen is doing is fine because [blank]

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

I love this. It’s driving them nuts that these students have adopted the self same policy as Cabinet Collective Responsibilty and will only speak to the media they want to speak to through an elected spokesperson.

https://twitter.com/gbnews/status/1791224630302163392?s=46

why are you covering your face, is it covid?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm just here to find out what it is that you are protesting about? 😊

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I saw a group of pro-Palestine demonstrators with flags and signs on a major pedestrian throughway in Osaka earlier this week, they were pretty loud about it.

Like 3 feet away there was also a dude on a small stepladder, dressed as Spider-Man and honking a rubber chicken, behind a little sign that said he wanted to be famous and this was how he would get famous.

The duality of humanity.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty childish but regardless of how the person looked I'd probably reply with "if I looked like you I'd also be wearing a mask."

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

quite ridiculous they’re still going with the “do you condemn hamas” and “return the hostages?? why not?!” when even israel doesn’t care about the hostages and aerated the few they actually find even though they were literally shouting in hebrew i am freed hostage please don’t shoot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Like 3 feet away there was also a dude on a small stepladder, dressed as Spider-Man and honking a rubber chicken, behind a little sign that said he wanted to be famous and this was how he would get famous.

Oh I heard about that guy! His plan seems to be working because I first heard about him in a niche UK-centric group on some random forum. He's becoming a world wide sensation

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

There is a podcast series about unmade scripts (it's called Greatest Movies Never Made) that has about 6 or 7 episodes in unmade Spider-man movies.

It's great because for years Cannon had the writes to make a Spider-man film, and it was clear that they didn't have a clue who Spider-man was. (Litteraly. The owners didn't read Spider-man comics growing up.)

At least one of the scripts they had commissioned after they heard his name was about a man who turns into a monster "that is a Spider version of a werewolf."
Another script was commissioned after the owners saw a picture of Spider-man was going to have Spider-man be a Ninja.

Wild stuff.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jel Shaker posted:

quite ridiculous they’re still going with the “do you condemn hamas” and “return the hostages?? why not?!” when even israel doesn’t care about the hostages and aerated the few they actually find even though they were literally shouting in hebrew i am freed hostage please don’t shoot

Wasting every interview pompously demanding that the protestors condemn Hamas is a tried and tested way of muddying the waters and avoiding any substantive discussion of the basic facts, which overwhelmingly back the protester's cause.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I feel like "do you condemn the murder of 20,000 children" is a perfectly adequate counter to that and people should use it more

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jel Shaker posted:

Every interview I've seen with any protest organiser or spokespersons has been "yes we condemn Hamas, yes we wish for the hostages to he released" the constant re-asking is bewildering

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I guess there's a secondary objective, to conflate the protestors with terrorist groups in the public mind, through constant repetition of the question.

"Do you (evil people) condemn Hamas (your buddies)?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

"that is a Spider version of a werewolf."
A Spider-man version of a werewolf would be a man in a gimp suit who looks nothing like a wolf but swings from buildings and sprays streams of dog poo poo from his hands. And has a wolfey sense that tells him to piss on things.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

There is a podcast series about unmade scripts (it's called Greatest Movies Never Made) that has about 6 or 7 episodes in unmade Spider-man movies.

It's great because for years Cannon had the writes to make a Spider-man film, and it was clear that they didn't have a clue who Spider-man was. (Litteraly. The owners didn't read Spider-man comics growing up.)

At least one of the scripts they had commissioned after they heard his name was about a man who turns into a monster "that is a Spider version of a werewolf."
Another script was commissioned after the owners saw a picture of Spider-man was going to have Spider-man be a Ninja.

Wild stuff.

And it'd still have been better than the Andrew Garfield Spider-man films :dadjoke:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's a great bit of graffiti in Margate:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I also condemn the Conservative party, but I don't think the entire UK should be reduced to rubble to punish them

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Angepain posted:

I also condemn the Conservative party, but I don't think the entire UK should be reduced to rubble to punish them

agree. only the home counties

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't condemn Hamas, for the same reason that I don't condemn the National Liberation Front of Angola, the Oromo Liberation Army, or the Al-Khayaliun Brigades. I'm sure they do lovely things but it seems a bit weird to go around all day condemning things that are completely outside of my locus of control and influence.

Also I just made one of those up, and I bet nobody at GBeebies could tell which at a glance, which is another good reason not to go around condemning things all day unless you know what it is you're actually against.

e: Otherwise you end up with this

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I condemn hummus. Its punishment is to be dropped into a pool of acid, and then proceed through the rest of my digestive system.