Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

selling a list of gay people to "pray the gay away" programs so they can hurl damnation threats and sell suicide courses doesn't sound very presidential to me

i mean that probably makes him more appealing to a big chunk of voters in the lovely states :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

Some of them fled, although they had been trained to cope with just such an unthinkable eventuality. The deaf-hearing face twitched and quivered. Claw hands beat and twisted and danced on the air; abruptly they descended and the thing that had been his son began to claw at its ears. "Louder than you think, Dad!" it cackled. "Louder than you think! Held my tongue when they gave out the earplugs! Wanted to hear! I heard! I heard! Louder than you think!"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I don't understand that reference

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
here you go

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

which worked great until the rats turned up.

doesn't it always

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ThePeavstenator posted:

cant wait for the zuckbot to hit a regression period during his neural network training and start blurting out bigoted slurs in his campaign ads

working as intended, wins election by 24,000 votes

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Improbable Lobster posted:

also he didn't pay anyone in his campaign

he spent all his campaign money on this sweet seal skin jacket:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the talent deficit posted:

he spent all his campaign money on this sweet seal skin jacket:

im the guy who spent his campaign money on a sweet seal skin hairpiece

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

One of the PhD students in my lab when I was in grad school had gone to Harvard at the same time as Marky Z and knew him as an acquaintance

Her summary of The Social Network was "it's basically right about his personality, except there were way too many girls interacting with him."

how do havard handle majors or concentrations or whatever the hell they call them?

some places you just take classes until you achieve enough credits for a given major, some you need to be accepted to specific schools.

(ex: people who get accepted to CMU but not the CS dept)

many sources mention mark studying psychology and cs, and i've heard rumors it was more like he was getting his rear end handed to him in his cs classes so was in process of changing his major to psych then dropped out and started FB.

it would be pretty lulzy if he just kept failing upwards ala bighead from silicon valley

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

maskenfreiheit posted:

how do havard handle majors or concentrations or whatever the hell they call them?

some places you just take classes until you achieve enough credits for a given major, some you need to be accepted to specific schools.

(ex: people who get accepted to CMU but not the CS dept)

many sources mention mark studying psychology and cs, and i've heard rumors it was more like he was getting his rear end handed to him in his cs classes so was in process of changing his major to psych then dropped out and started FB.

it would be pretty lulzy if he just kept failing upwards ala bighead from silicon valley

At my school everyone had to pick a major when they started school and there were no specific requirements for different departments beyond the general admission ones that applied to everyone. It's so bizarre to me that people enter Uni without already being in a particular program.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've never heard anyone describe the zuck as a great coder or anything. like people will mention that bill gates personally checked every commit into the windows codebase until windows 95 or something, and john carmack is still spookily good -- i doubt zuck had much direct input into the software after like, 2007 or so

not that it really matters. the primary characteristic required to be a good ceo is sociopathy, not technical ability

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Janitor Prime posted:

At my school everyone had to pick a major when they started school and there were no specific requirements for different departments beyond the general admission ones that applied to everyone. It's so bizarre to me that people enter Uni without already being in a particular program.

you cant, here (denmark). you sign up for a degree & its classes, but if you have second thoughts or whatever you can start taking classes required for whatever instead of what you started as. i think thats only possible after the bachelor's degree though (or you can start over and possibly take on some merit from the classes you took).

we're big on "classes consist of a group of people who take the same lessons" here

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Janitor Prime posted:

they have to ~discover themselves~

the process of self-discovery looks suspiciously like partying for 3.5 years before cobbling together a major in the last semester for a lot of people but don't let that fool you

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Ah ok, good stuff

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

like people will mention that bill gates personally checked every commit into the windows codebase until windows 95 or something,

he may have checked them but remember, he wrote DONKEY.BAS, he ain't all that

I gather it was Paul Allen and he other guy who did most of the real work on Altair BASIC

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

not that it really matters. the primary characteristic required to be a good ceo is sociopathy, not technical ability

I seriously wonder if there is a single CEO of a major company that isn't a sociopath, in the literal sense.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i've never heard anyone describe the zuck as a great coder or anything. like people will mention that bill gates personally checked every commit into the windows codebase until windows 95 or something, and john carmack is still spookily good -- i doubt zuck had much direct input into the software after like, 2007 or so

*adds eve online experience to resume*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ADINSX posted:

I seriously wonder if there is a single CEO of a major company that isn't a sociopath, in the literal sense.

i literally just did the 'thinking face' while trying to think of one.

conclusion: nope, there arent

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
many college students spend their first two years on remedial math and writing they never learned due to going to a lovely high school

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I forgot to send my HAS transcript to my college and they made me take remedial English and holy lol it was like 5th grade level. My buddy did the same AND he hosed up his enrollment and ended up in remedial English for ESL people and spent the entire semester showing flash cards that said apple and poo poo to cute Columbian girls and the mentally disabled.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powaqoatse posted:

i literally just did the 'thinking face' while trying to think of one.

conclusion: nope, there arent

there are tons of major company ceos who never make the news because all they do is keep their boring old-economy business on an even keel

it's the crazy ones you hear about because they're the ones who come up with outrageous stuff that gets reported on and the tech sector is vastly overrepresented here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

haveblue posted:

there are tons of major company ceos who never make the news because all they do is keep their boring old-economy business on an even keel

it's the crazy ones you hear about because they're the ones who come up with outrageous stuff that gets reported on and the tech sector is vastly overrepresented here

counterpoint: they own the means of production & exploit their workers

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Most of the first gen tech bubblers who made it out with their money aren't horrible neocon monsters or libertarians. It's like they got the hint that it makes more sense to coast and provide a decent work habitat and be happy with your 100 million or whatever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

id like to know what "first gen" means to you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Powaqoatse posted:

flooz.com shareholders

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I forgot to send my HAS transcript to my college and they made me take remedial English and holy lol it was like 5th grade level. My buddy did the same AND he hosed up his enrollment and ended up in remedial English for ESL people and spent the entire semester showing flash cards that said apple and poo poo to cute Columbian girls and the mentally disabled.

don't sign your posts

also real glad I came into college with credits and didn't have to take basic classes

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm actually a cute Brazilian girl

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ADINSX posted:

James Sinegal

Craig Jelinek seems to be a decent successor as well

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

James Sinegal

Craig Jelinek seems to be a decent successor as well

James Sinegal is from Pittsburgh

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Citizen Tayne posted:

James Sinegal is from Pittsburgh

Oh so he's garbage too, good to know.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

flooz.com shareholders

ok fine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at my college you generally picked a major before going in but they had an "exploratory major" choice which basically let you do whatever for the first two years until you decide (get the gen ed courses out of the way first was the idea but in reality it was mostly people taking weird disjoint classes that didn't really mesh well and then having to make it up later when they picked a major)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

at my college you generally picked a major before going in but they had an "exploratory major" choice which basically let you do whatever for the first two years until you decide (get the gen ed courses out of the way first was the idea but in reality it was mostly people taking weird disjoint classes that didn't really mesh well and then having to make it up later when they picked a major)

cool, sounds like a great way to pay a college for 6 years of education instead of 4

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Classical Muzak posted:

Oh so he's garbage too, good to know.

wow, look at this fuckin guy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ADINSX posted:

cool, sounds like a great way to pay a college for 6 years of education instead of 4

consider that students probably get better at figuring out what they wanna do the older they get.

and now imagine the state pays for it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Powaqoatse posted:

Atari

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Powaqoatse posted:

consider that students probably get better at figuring out what they wanna do the older they get.

dont tell nbsd this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

exploded mummy posted:

dont tell nbsd this

:ohdear:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

exploded mummy posted:

dont tell nbsd this

notre dame incoming! abort abort turn left nooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

yeah i mean in your case it sounds great, in my example it's burning like $40k a year to waffle around accomplishing nothing

• Locked thread