Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

been saying this for weeks lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

maskenfreiheit posted:

my next door neighbor in undergrad went out one nigh and poured bacon grease all over a semester's worth of shits the neighbor's unleashed dog laid... next day the dog just runs around eating like, 40 shits. the owner is yelling, trying to chase it, but he's really fat because he doesn't walk his dog he just lets it run around the neighborhood making GBS threads anyways this dog ate a shitload of poo poo and i am not sure how i feel about that like could the dog get sick? it was still alive at the end of the next semester so i assume it didn't hurt it but jeez

aaaaaaahahahahhahahah

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The_Franz posted:

one of the guys from shark tank was on celebrity jeopardy

he's pretty dumb and did really bad. before the game even started he misspelled his own nickname on the podium

kevin o'leary needs to literally be murdered

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think we'd sooner elect a bald guy than a short guy

Americans want their president to gently caress and cum in them

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
james madison was 5'4"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

kevin o'leary needs to literally be murdered

didn't he run for conservative party whatsit and get slaughtered and publicly shown to be a total idiot repeatedly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

james madison was 5'4"

jeah but he was born in like 1750 or something when everyone was real short because they had no food and were all malnourished as children

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/SFNick/status/885674727653638144

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

JewKiller 3000 posted:

james madison was 5'4"

but how did he look on tv

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

didn't he run for conservative party whatsit and get slaughtered and publicly shown to be a total idiot repeatedly

he announced a run like five months after everybody else, barely campaigned, and dropped out about a month before the vote. he says it's because he realised he can't speak French, which I think is something he would have known at the beginning of the campaign.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Americans want their president to gently caress and cum in them

he's moving on us like a bitch either way, but most of us get through it dreaming it's trudeau's sticky maple syrup instead

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

jeah but he was born in like 1750 or something when everyone was real short because they had no food and were all malnourished as children

that's what i thought too but washington and jefferson were both 6'2"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sagebrush posted:

he was upper class af and also America had a reputation in the 1700s as Literally Having All The Food

Americans were stereotyped as greedy slobs who ate tons of food with reckless abandon

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

he was upper class af and also America had a reputation in the 1700s as Literally Having All The Food

Americans were stereotyped as greedy slobs who ate tons of food with reckless abandon

tons of meat. glorious glorious meat. maybe a little bit of bread

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/nyc-restaurant-menus-100-years-ago?utm_term=.xmBobMYQv#.syzYjR3M2
(apology for buzzfeed)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fermun posted:

later fuckerberg, none of big stevie's meat for you! go kill and butcher a goat or something

sausage party

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm just glad america could move away from that stereotype

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think we'd sooner elect a bald guy than a short guy

america is a joke and trump is the punchline

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
america is a disease and trump is symptom

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JewKiller 3000 posted:

james madison was 5'4"

james madison existed in an era where pictures had to be carefully crafted by artists

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

he announced a run like five months after everybody else, barely campaigned, and dropped out about a month before the vote. he says it's because he realised he can't speak French, which I think is something he would have known at the beginning of the campaign.

also he didn't pay anyone in his campaign

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

there's two different concepts here

first is a pneumatic tube system, or pneumatic railway, which uses pressure differentials in the pipe to move stuff around. that's the 19th-century idea, and the one where they proposed two tubes so the passengers wouldn't suffocate. it's not particularly fast. its reason for existence is that you can theoretically power the whole system with a big compressor/pump at each end, and the lines are just dumb pipes.

the other idea is a vacuum train, where the pipe is kept in a high vacuum and the trains are driven inside with some other method (regular electric motor, linear induction motor, maglev, etc). i think these started to be proposed in the 1950s or something. the advantage to them is that the trains can go way faster because they don't have to deal with drag.

hyperloop is an attempt at building a vacuum train, not a pneumatic railway.

The Beach Subway operated via giant fans in the sealable tunnel, where you would push and pull the cars by air suction in the direction of intended travel, without risking extreme vacuum for the passengers. There would have been fan pairs for each station to station segment in the final system instead of the single fan on the demonstration line and station

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

pneumatic transport rules, but the correct application is freight, not people

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
passenger rail is freight with people inside

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah it ruled

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
thanks for the deets, that's pretty neat

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

The_Franz posted:

one of the guys from shark tank was on celebrity jeopardy

he's pretty dumb and did really bad. before the game even started he misspelled his own nickname on the podium

packers won the superbowl jeopardy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fishmech posted:

The Beach Subway operated via giant fans in the sealable tunnel, where you would push and pull the cars by air suction in the direction of intended travel, without risking extreme vacuum for the passengers. There would have been fan pairs for each station to station segment in the final system instead of the single fan on the demonstration line and station

i'm picturing a subway where everyone boards and their eardrums rupture before the car starts to slowly accelerate away from the station

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i'm picturing a subway where everyone boards and their eardrums rupture before the car starts to slowly accelerate away from the station

Some of them fled, although they had been trained to cope with just such an unthinkable eventuality. The deaf-hearing face twitched and quivered. Claw hands beat and twisted and danced on the air; abruptly they descended and the thing that had been his son began to claw at its ears. "Louder than you think, Dad!" it cackled. "Louder than you think! Held my tongue when they gave out the earplugs! Wanted to hear! I heard! I heard! Louder than you think!"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

C.H.O.M.E posted:

quote:

After we had had our ride, it was only natural of course, that we should wish to explore the source from whence came the pneumatic pressure that had so mysteriously carried us along under Broadway. Accordingly, under the guidance of one of the polite officials of the company, provided with lanterns, we entered the air-passage, or duct, which opens into the waiting-room near the mouth of the tunnel. […] As we went in, we felt a gentle breeze; but after we arrived at the mouth of the great blower, and while we were gazing in wonder at the motions of the gigantic blowing-wings, the engineer put on more steam and increased the speed, so that the blast instantly became a hurricane of frightful power. Hats, bonnets, shawls, handkerchiefs, and every loose thing, were snatched away from our hands and swept into the tunnel; while all of us, unable to stand against the tornado, hastily retreated from the machine to a corner of the air-box, where we were slightly sheltered. At this juncture the speed of the Æolor was reduced, the storm was over, and only a gentle summer’s breeze issued from its enormous throat.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lmao what the gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

gazing in wonder at the motions of the gigantic blowing-wings

man 1800's people always described boring things like "a big fan" with much more colorful and fun language

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Some of them fled, although they had been trained to cope with just such an unthinkable eventuality. The deaf-hearing face twitched and quivered. Claw hands beat and twisted and danced on the air; abruptly they descended and the thing that had been his son began to claw at its ears. "Louder than you think, Dad!" it cackled. "Louder than you think! Held my tongue when they gave out the earplugs! Wanted to hear! I heard! I heard! Louder than you think!"

lol forgot about this thx

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Xaris posted:

you can hear the servo motors running the zuckbot just by watching that gif

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLSlGmVrmuM

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

zuck has been rehearsing the routine for days. this poo poo is complicated son

*ZUCK looks down at his notes*

- contract facial muscle group 31, HAPPY
- clasp dried carbohydrate assembly
- raise right appendage 34cm
- sleep 550ms
- raise right appendage to primary mandible level
- insert assembly
- cycle primary mandible at 0.6Hz [continuous]
- retract appendage
- contract facial muscles 29 - 34 for 1600 milliseconds (tough one!!)
- blink exactly once

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Spatial posted:

- blink exactly once

ugh now he's stuck in blink and can't read the unblink instruction, we have to override him again

oh come on gently caress one of you has to have a paperclip

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Spatial posted:

zuck has been rehearsing the routine for days. this poo poo is complicated son

*ZUCK looks down at his notes*

- contract facial muscle group 31, HAPPY
- clasp dried carbohydrate assembly
- raise right appendage 34cm
- sleep 550ms
- raise right appendage to primary mandible level
- insert assembly
- cycle primary mandible at 0.6Hz [continuous]
- retract appendage
- contract facial muscles 29 - 34 for 1600 milliseconds (tough one!!)
- blink exactly once

Analysis: why did you smile before taking that bite?

Smiling conveys friendship to the viewer

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cant wait for the zuckbot to hit a regression period during his neural network training and start blurting out bigoted slurs in his campaign ads

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

Hu-mons eat toast for breakfast. This is toast, is it not? I enjoy toast. See me eating it. Yum. Mmm. Yum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

selling a list of gay people to "pray the gay away" programs so they can hurl damnation threats and sell suicide courses doesn't sound very presidential to me

• Locked thread