Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It looks to me like he instigated a virtual proletariat revolution on that server. The super wealthy controlled everything, but Comrade JohnSherman gave the people control over the resources of production. JohnSherman began the Glorious Revolution; it was up to the proletariat to safeguard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
That post was a thing of beauty.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It's almost a rule that any game or mod which has an economic system will eventually be reduced to anarchy by a savvy player.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah I know the formatting thing was a little weak, but the process for formatting an xbox has a few warnings that come up that tell you it will delete everything and also require you to open a panel and write down and input your serial number.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

It looks to me like he instigated a virtual proletariat revolution on that server. The super wealthy controlled everything, but Comrade JohnSherman gave the people control over the resources of production. JohnSherman began the Glorious Revolution; it was up to the proletariat to safeguard it.

Who is John Galt?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

codenameFANGIO posted:

If you pull something that stupid and obvious and then the person goes ahead and does it then it is hilarious.
It was the most entertaining part of Mechwarrior Online for quite a while.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

JohnSherman posted:

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain that. People came and took the wool, then brought it to the various stores to sell. In this server, when you sell something to someone's shop, it pays you from their personal bank account. Since you have to pay "taxes" on chunks to own and protect them, if you go bankrupt then you lose all of your land.

e:fb

Was there no way to limit how much the shops would buy, or were the rich players just being stupid with their money? I am wondering whether the players or the mod authors were more at fault.

Other games with automated buying/selling usually let you put limits on how many things you will buy and will pay the money out of a separate pool you manually put the money into.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ponzicar posted:

Was there no way to limit how much the shops would buy, or were the rich players just being stupid with their money? I am wondering whether the players or the mod authors were more at fault.

Other games with automated buying/selling usually let you put limits on how many things you will buy and will pay the money out of a separate pool you manually put the money into.

No, there wasn't any sort of limiting mechanism built in. It was probably just an oversight by whoever wrote the mod.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

JohnSherman posted:

No, there wasn't any sort of limiting mechanism built in.

I think the only way you could have improved this would be if you'd played the part of a populist anti-banker character who led the charge to foreclose on the fatcats.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

JohnSherman posted:

Sorry about the length and the writing style. I wrote this for another site, but never got around to posting it.

Many months ago, I ran into a problem. Minecraft was no longer fun. Playing alone was getting depressing, and finding reliable servers that appealed to my tastes was tough. At this point, I pretty much stopped playing entirely. However, as I was looking for something else to play, I thought of EVE Online. The meta-gaming aspects of that MMO had always intrigued me, and I realized that it might be interesting to see if I could accomplish something big, much bigger than the standard TNT and lava griefs.
One of the servers I frequented had a perfect setup for what I intended. The server used an economy system which allowed you to purchase plots of land, making them ungriefable to anyone not on your list, as well as own shops and run towns. As with any game that has an economy, most of the wealth was controlled by very few players, five in this case. Between their various towns, private projects, and shops, you would be hard pressed to spend more than a few minutes on the server without interacting with something of theirs. I knew that the best way to impart as much damage as possible in one move would be to go after them. More specifically, go after their money.
An important thing to note about this server was the state of the economy at the time. The shops set prices for all materials, and due to the addition of a constantly regenerating area of the map, pretty much all materials that are mined out of the ground were incredibly devalued. This led to an interesting situation in which the value of a particular material, in this case wool, was unreasonably high when compared to traditionally rarer materials such as diamonds.
With that in mind, I set to work. I sold all of my buildings and assorted projects, netting myself a tidy profit. I bought several chunks way out on the edge of the map, farther than most people would ever venture. With the money I made, I would be able to pay the in-game taxes for far longer than it would take to execute my plan, leaving me to do nothing but work on my project. From there, I began construction on a massive automated sheep farm, allowing me to let my world run for hours on end with little input. With this farm constructed, and some anti-AFK measures in place, I was soon filling dozens of chests with stacks upon stacks of wool. During this time, I was watching the member list carefully, identifying the playing patterns of each of my targets.
A few weeks later, I finally had all the wool I was ever going to need. At around 10:30 of the night of the attack, all of the five players were logged off, and my plan was set in to motion. I sent out an open call to all players, telling them where to find my massive cache of wool, and inviting them to take whatever they wished. Within minutes, players were streaming into my chest room, trying desperately to get a hold of my precious wool before it was all gone. I watched from behind a pane of glass, watched as players cleaned me out of nearly 200 thousand blocks of wool. After what seemed like forever, the first report of my success came in. "The stores aren't working," it read. At that moment, I realized I had succeeded, and it was better than I had planned. Turns out, several of the players I had targeted had made large land purchases in the couple days leading up to my attack, meaning their bank accounts were uncharacteristically low. I quickly discovered that my attack had not only bankrupted all five players with stores in the spawn area, but three other players with nearby stores as well. When the clock struck midnight, all eight of these players instantly lost all of their properties. Stores, statues, towns, etc, they were all suddenly unprotected, open to griefing by any player in the game. It only took a few minutes for people to figure this out, and then all hell broke loose. For the next hour, I walked the map, watching the violence rain down around me. Massive wool sculptures were going up in flames. Castles were being TNTed into oblivion as players ransacked formerly hidden caches of precious materials. Towns were torn apart as people searched for the valuable resources hidden within, and fights broke out between the people fighting to save their chests and the mobs intent on robbing them. Satisfied with my work, I went to sleep.
The next day, I came back to find that the carnage had not stopped. More players had been bankrupted due to the influx of items, and battles were raging over the control of their property. I logged on periodically, watching the drama unfold. As everything being done was legal, the mods were helpless to stop the destruction. My original five targets had come back to see their work destroyed, and had learned that I was the one who was ultimately behind it. I received the obligatory death threats, which to this day I regret not saving. It took until the next day, almost 36 hours after the drama started, for the the admin to come back and see the hell that had unfolded. A massive fight unfolded over what to do about it. The formerly rich targets (most of whom were monthly donors) wanted a reset, while the people who had spent a day fighting over resources pointed out that no rules were broken. The owner eventually agreed to give resources to the players who had lost them, effectively doubling the number of resources in the game, and ban me from the server. However, he adamantly refused to reset the map. This proved to be a poor decision, and the money lost from donors pulling their support ultimately led to the closing of the server.
Was my dedication to a game of virtual legos ridiculously spergy? Absolutely. However, managing to set in motion a series of events that led to real world consequences, not to mention watching an entire server rip itself to shreds, was incredibly satisfying.

e: Apparently I can't finish sentences.

This truly is Eve Online worthy levels of griefing.

What I love the most about this is that all you did was set it up. You didn't lead a charge of angry server people against their donation giving overlords. You simply handed the server the tools it needed to destroy itself at a time ideally suited for that to happen and let human nature take it's course.

I wish you had recorded this on FRAPS. I would have loved to watch video of you strolling through the carnage you caused.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's like supervillain levels of evil. I love it. Did it take people long to figure out that it was you who cause the downfall of their society, or what?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

SpookyLizard posted:

It's like supervillain levels of evil. I love it. Did it take people long to figure out that it was you who cause the downfall of their society, or what?

The players who had taken part in the wool incident were bragging about bankrupting the stores, so it didn't take too long for everyone to catch on to the fact that this was no accident.

rabbiteconomist
May 14, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

The players who had taken part in the wool incident were bragging about bankrupting the stores, so it didn't take too long for everyone to catch on to the fact that this was no accident.

We had a lot of bankrupting mall owners on our server Super-Earth (i've been bankrupted too, having run a mall), but not quite like that. Bravo sir.

When we grief unprotected towns in MC, we usually kill them until they run for cover, then use saplings and bonemeal to blanket the town in trees. This is what we call "Arbor Day" :)

We did this to one guy who moved near us, except his town was protected so we blocked exits to the town with trees and built giant troll heads. We trolled that guy for months and forced him to move his towny protected city 6 times before he was banned. Good times.

The pics are from Berlin - and this is light damage compared to our normal damage

Welcome to Berlin - pubbie central.

Troll Head

Siberia National Anthem beneath troll head - may Woodie Guthrie forgive me

More trolling of random pubbies on Super Earth

rabbiteconomist fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 16, 2013

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
On the topic of minecraft:
I haven't played for a long time at this point, but when I did I spent a lot of time on the Goonimati server, as a founding member of MURDERSQUAD 9: THE SEARCH FOR VICTORY. I need to try to pull up logs of some of our more inspired griefing, but when operating solo, I was a fan simple, old-fashioned fun.

After taking a break, with the server changing completely in the meantime, I returned to a new world, fresh for conquest. Then someone posted a challenge.

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Goonimati Goon Challenge 2011: Challenge of the Goons!

You fellas know what to do. Be the first to post screen shots and win either 3 diamond blocks or a stack of TNT!

Hint: X-axis is less than +/-100 away from 0. Map is Frontier.

Go!

I wandered the dry deserts and found an oasis.

Slanderer posted:

It's been a long while since I've played Minecraft, so maybe I'm doing this wrong...

I came upon a strange sight as I wandered through the unforgiving sands.

A handsome home, to be certain...

with bountiful fields,

and wondrous treasures!

However, regulations strictly prohibit the introduction of invasive foreign plant species. I corrected the situation.

The sands have forgotten this minor disturbance.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Slanderer posted:

After taking a break, with the server changing completely in the meantime, I returned to a new world, fresh for conquest. Then someone posted a challenge.

I wandered the dry deserts and found an oasis.

For those of us who haven't played Minecraft, what exactly did you do? Just tear the thing down?

Been tempted to pick it up and find a good griefing server, but it looks like most of the fun value is in large constructions and I've been pretty :effort: lately.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Judging by the pictures, he flattened everything and carefully landscaped the desert back to its original state.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

For those of us who haven't played Minecraft, what exactly did you do? Just tear the thing down?

Been tempted to pick it up and find a good griefing server, but it looks like most of the fun value is in large constructions and I've been pretty :effort: lately.

Yeah, I completely deconstructed it and every man made thing around it. Filled in the basements, redid the terrain, and made it disappear. Ruining stuff is simple enough, but completely undoing every bit of someone's work, and leaving no trace it ever existed? That's something special.

EDIT: As for griefing servers: the best ones need to balance a good playerbase of random pubbies with a permanent population of people working against them. If you grief them too hard, then you scare them off, and they don't stick around long enough to build amazing structures for you to destroy. It's sustainable griefing. It works better if you and your griefing friends have based hidden on that server too, so that you can farm items for explosives, make tons of griefin' gear (back in the day, it was arrows--since you would just single click to fire, you could fire as fast as you could click (with full range), letting you blanket a player who is running towards you (or from you) with hundreds of arrows a minute. Nothing could withstand it, and you didn't need fancy diamond weapons or armor).

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 16, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I miss machine gun bows so much. It was so fun to run around with twenty stacks of arrows and do strafing runs

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Magres posted:

I miss machine gun bows so much. It was so fun to run around with twenty stacks of arrows and do strafing runs

Not quite the place for posting Minecraft things, but I've always been fond of surprise arrow machine guns. Easy enough to hide behind piston walls, expandable up to 16 or so wide, and they fire fast as hell. The only 2 problems with them were (obviously) ammo consumption, and the fact that SMP has damage invulnerability built into it, so you'll be wasting 3 or 4 arrows for every one that damages a guy.

Anecdotally, the best use of them I saw was back when I played on a faction PvP server. I built a 3 tiered wall of them just inside our base, aimed in such a way that they covered roughly a 16x16 plot of land in the front of our plot, which was naturally the only easy access way into it. A raiding party of the enemy faction came strolling up, thinking they were gonna blast their way into our front door, and we let fly with so many arrows that it literally blotted out the light in that area.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

neogeo0823 posted:

Not quite the place for posting Minecraft things, but I've always been fond of surprise arrow machine guns. Easy enough to hide behind piston walls, expandable up to 16 or so wide, and they fire fast as hell. The only 2 problems with them were (obviously) ammo consumption, and the fact that SMP has damage invulnerability built into it, so you'll be wasting 3 or 4 arrows for every one that damages a guy.

Anecdotally, the best use of them I saw was back when I played on a faction PvP server. I built a 3 tiered wall of them just inside our base, aimed in such a way that they covered roughly a 16x16 plot of land in the front of our plot, which was naturally the only easy access way into it. A raiding party of the enemy faction came strolling up, thinking they were gonna blast their way into our front door, and we let fly with so many arrows that it literally blotted out the light in that area.

You can also put the dispenser behind a curtain of lava to set the arrows on fire. :supaburn:

Saw a video once of a guy who rigged a trap so that if you stood on a certain pressure plate, a bunch of dispensers way up high at a far enough distance that you couldn't see them unless your draw distance was set to maximum would fire a huge rain of flaming arrows at you using that. Then he put a cake next to the pressure plate.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You mean This One? He also did a egg version and one that combines the two.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yup, those are always fun. You could also have fun with Block Update Detectors, or BUD switches. Without getting into the wonderous world of Minecraft physics oddities, they were a thing you could build that could detect when any block within(usually) a 2x2x2 area was changed in any way, without being directly connected to it. So, if a switch was thrown, or a block was placed, or a fire was lit/went out, or if plants grew, or if a furnace finished smelting stuff, etc. etc. etc., then this BUD switch would activate. You can imagine what sort of fun traps you could build using one.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

neogeo0823 posted:

Raiding party nothing, it was Doji and I and we stood outside your arrow range and picked up arrows while you hid behind a wall still managing to die.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Minecraft PvP rivalries! Tell us more of your struggles for honour and glory.

(Seriously, unless you've constricted your opponents to a tiny space (say a tunnel into your base), arrow traps just aren't that effective. Not to mentioned everyone's probably decked out in full iron anyway).

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Why that server was never just redesigned around throwing eggs is a mystery to me.

Edit for context: The server was designed around two teams building bases and blowing each other's bases up with tnt. There were grinders to make tnt, but it had to be saved for large raids. Chicken eggs, however, could be used with wild abandon. They didn't do damage, and only about 1 in 10 actually hatched a chicken, but I and others would fill our inventories with eggs, head to the enemy base, and throw eggs through windows, filling their rooms with chickens. It was a nice way to break the monotony.

Friend fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 17, 2013

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Minecraft PvP rivalries! Tell us more of your struggles for honour and glory.

(Seriously, unless you've constricted your opponents to a tiny space (say a tunnel into your base), arrow traps just aren't that effective. Not to mentioned everyone's probably decked out in full iron anyway).

One time me and my crew had run out of easy targets, so we decided to track down the owner of a well-known Doom Tower, with a ludicrously huge network planned-out mine tunnels beneath. Once we lured him to the surface (by one of us posing as a hapless noob redecorating his Doom Tower), the rest of us ran in, and blocked him from returning to the tunnels. Of course, at his point, he logged off from inside one of the upper floors of his tower. Nothing against doing this, not really, since then the cat-and-mouse game begins.

Two of us ran to our stash to get stacks of obsidian, while the other two camped his location. He popped in once or twice, only to instantly log again--we didn't want to kill him at this point, just keep him trapped. After a few attempts, he says, "gently caress you guys im done for today". At this point, we replace the walls of the room with a latticework of obsidian--a gap between every adjacent block on the walls, with a solid floor, and a solid roof. He can see out, but can't escape. Then we proceed to detonate the rest of his tower, leaving an obsidian cage floating high in the sky.

I'm told when he logged in the next day he was pissed beyond belief, since he was carrying all of his best items, and was stranded in a sky prison. At this point, he left the server, and never returned.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

He had all of his best items, but not a diamond pick? Was this a modded server?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ariong posted:

He had all of his best items, but not a diamond pick? Was this a modded server?

Apparently not? Presumably his entire stash was elsewhere, but he had enough on him that he didn't want to die. I think he was convinced someone would answer his pleas to rescue him in order to defeat us bullies, but people just build sand towers and shot at him until he logged off again.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Slanderer posted:

Apparently not? Presumably his entire stash was elsewhere, but he had enough on him that he didn't want to die. I think he was convinced someone would answer his pleas to rescue him in order to defeat us bullies, but people just build sand towers and shot at him until he logged off again.

Items don't despawn THAT fast, couldn't he just run off and find his diamond pick and get his stuff back?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess he didn't realize you can break obsidian without a diamond pick, the block just wouldn't drop afterwards.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm pretty sure you can break through Obsidian with whatever; it just takes an obnoxiously long amount of time and doesn't drop the block at the end, which isn't that big a deal if all you care about is punching out one block so you can escape.

E:FB

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RatHat posted:

I guess he didn't realize you can break obsidian without a diamond pick, the block just wouldn't drop afterwards.

It also takes about a full minute per block, but since it sounds like they built the walls in a checkerboard pattern, he'd only have to break one.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
He'd still be floating up in midair, so maybe he just didn't want to die when he hit the ground?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ariong posted:

It also takes about a full minute per block, but since it sounds like they built the walls in a checkerboard pattern, he'd only have to break one.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why he didn't break out, jump to his death, and make the long run back to where he fell. Apparently, he was spergy enough to complain about being trapped for a while, and then just quit the server.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Slanderer posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why he didn't break out, jump to his death, and make the long run back to where he fell. Apparently, he was spergy enough to complain about being trapped for a while, and then just quit the server.

Alternately, just keep a bucket of water on you and do the water parachute trick. (For anyone who doesn't play minecraft, because of the way water works you can deploy a water source block from a bucket of water, scoop it back up, and safely ride the blocks of flowing water it spawns down to the ground. It's an easy way to get down from anything)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Magres posted:

Alternately, just keep a bucket of water on you and do the water parachute trick. (For anyone who doesn't play minecraft, because of the way water works you can deploy a water source block from a bucket of water, scoop it back up, and safely ride the blocks of flowing water it spawns down to the ground. It's an easy way to get down from anything)

Once I figured that out, that trick saved my poo poo so many drat times.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magres posted:

Also works in Terraria, sans the scooping up. Get two people, fill a hole up to your waists with water, each point at a different block beneath you, and left-click. You'll go straight down ridiculously fast, and should you hit an air pocket the water will catch you automatically, allowing you to ride it to safety.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Slanderer posted:

On the topic of minecraft:
I haven't played for a long time at this point, but when I did I spent a lot of time on the Goonimati server, as a founding member of MURDERSQUAD 9: THE SEARCH FOR VICTORY. I need to try to pull up logs of some of our more inspired griefing.

That wasn't the only time you did that, but I never got tired of it. Some of the owners logged in their bases so when they returned they suffocated.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The water breaks things like torches and crops. I've accidently griefed goons when I do things like jump off their towers while using the water trick, only to realise that suddenly there's a gap in their land that can spawn mobs.

There's a time and a place for griefing :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Does anyone have a link to the youtube clip from a wrestling game with a hyper racist character (named something like 'Super Black Slayer' or something), I'm 99% sure it was posted in this thread but ages ago and looking through 268 pages quickly grows tiresome.

• Locked thread