Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
to be honest, I have hated all of their games. HOWEVER if this FFT-like game is at least kind of good I'll probably get it. I wish someone would make a better one (i already played gloomhaven! Yes, and Earth Reborn too!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just saw a preview for Tiny Epic Tactics. Any thoughts on it or its creator before it hits Kickstarter?

I enjoyed Galaxies enough to play it more than once, found Kingdoms and another one I can't remember to be super boring, and never tried playing the fourth one. Western? Not enough to bother backing more, for me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Valor & Villainy is in its last day or so.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyboundgames/valor-and-villainy-minions-of-mordak

It looks really interesting - I like the art, the price is good, and it has some cool-looking asymmetry between the heroes and the evil wizard. I have no idea how well the humor will track, but the gameplay itself seems fun, judging from the videos. And the Deluxe version has minis and good game trays, so even better.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Valor & Villainy is in its last day or so.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyboundgames/valor-and-villainy-minions-of-mordak

It looks really interesting - I like the art, the price is good, and it has some cool-looking asymmetry between the heroes and the evil wizard. I have no idea how well the humor will track, but the gameplay itself seems fun, judging from the videos. And the Deluxe version has minis and good game trays, so even better.

They show three of the "hilarious spells" and that dramatically undermines their credibility for me.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Impermanent posted:

to be honest, I have hated all of their games. HOWEVER if this FFT-like game is at least kind of good I'll probably get it. I wish someone would make a better one (i already played gloomhaven! Yes, and Earth Reborn too!)

RIP Endless Fantasy Tactics. That was a nice FFT-esque system that was very accessible.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

homullus posted:

They show three of the "hilarious spells" and that dramatically undermines their credibility for me.
Yeah I completely agree, but I'm looking for fun games with my kids so it's about in the zone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

I enjoyed Galaxies enough to play it more than once, found Kingdoms and another one I can't remember to be super boring, and never tried playing the fourth one. Western? Not enough to bother backing more, for me.

Probably Defenders, which is actively bad. Kingdoms was kind of dull but OK, but the expansion puts it on Galaxies levels of good. Western is interesting, Quest is flawed but with some smart ideas, and Zombies is like Dead of Winter but at the right length of game and with no stupid traitor mechanic.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

You might like Stonebound Saga. It's a tactical skirmish game on a big 10x10 space board. No minis, everything's represented by cards, similar to Mage Wars or Summoner Wars. At the start, everyone drafts their characters from one big pool, and there are quite a lot of them spread out across 7 different classes. Fantasy theme isn't all that original but the artwork's lovely, and people seem to really like the gameplay. Plays 2-6.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chubbs posted:

You might like Stonebound Saga. It's a tactical skirmish game on a big 10x10 space board. No minis, everything's represented by cards, similar to Mage Wars or Summoner Wars. At the start, everyone drafts their characters from one big pool, and there are quite a lot of them spread out across 7 different classes. Fantasy theme isn't all that original but the artwork's lovely, and people seem to really like the gameplay. Plays 2-6.

I demoed this at gencon and it was one of the worst game experiences I can remember. The dude running the demo kinda sorta knew how to play, gave no guidance on which heroes to pick, and then we were off to the races, in which I got handily rolled.

Each hero has 2-3 colors of like 6-7 they can interact with, and it’s like a reverse MTG - mana in hand, abilities on table. If you don’t get the colors you want there’s not much you can do. Ranged abilities are super strong, as are healing abilities.

The artwork is nice, the gameplay is bad.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Well that's a bummer, it looked like a cool game. I guess it's a good thing I didn't back it.

A couple other FFT-esque games I've heard are decent are Arcadia Quest, Mordheim and Krosmaster: Arena. Don't know from experience, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mantic's second Terrain Crate Kickstarter launches on February 21st. This one is going to have gothic, Cthulhu, 1940s, and modern terrain pieces

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A new Powered by the Apocalypse game - Bite Me! A game of werewolf pack dynamics.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LordAba posted:

RIP Endless Fantasy Tactics. That was a nice FFT-esque system that was very accessible.
What ever happened to that game?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I wanted to pick ya'lls brains for a second, if that's alright.

While I'm still hyper focused on getting Americana done by the deadline, a lot of that is in artists and layout designers hands right now so I'm fiddling with some designs, and one of them I think pops really well. Without saying too much too early, it'd essentially a deck of tarot cards you can play a PbtA game with. The deck will have about 80~ unique cards and ideally would come in a nice two-piece box. Right now I'm trying to figure a way to make a $25 price point work, but reading up on some tarot deck sets and folks are asking for $30-40 for decks of half the size of less than what we're working on right now, that would let me make some much higher quality cards for sure. Any thoughts on this? Obviously Tarot Deck buyers are a different market than TTRPG buyers but I just wondered what price ya'll would say seemed fair for what we're talking about here.

This isn't going to happen till after Americana is shipped, but never too early to theorycraft stuff.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What kind of print run are you talking?

On the Game Crafter, for Tarot cards is $1.99 per sheet and $0.20 per card with 10 cards per sheet. That would put a deck of 80 tarot cards at $32 for just the cards.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/product/TarotDeck

They don't do telescoping boxes for tarot cards like you mention, but a Tarot tuck box for up to 90 cards is $2.79 each.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/product/TarotTuckBox90

That puts each deck at $35 each to manufacture.

Now, The Game Crafter is not a great option for most games if you want to actually make more than $0.10 per copy on them, but you aren't going to find much better if your print run is under 500 or possibly even up to 999 units. If you're printing 1000 plus decks its going to be waaaaaay cheaper in China. We are being charged something like $0.01 per card and something else small per sheet for poker sized cards, but we also only need 1 sheet of them per game. I don't know how many sheets of card stock you would need for 80 tarot cards but it's definitely more than 1.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
FYI, if it helps, my prototype copies of Bee Lives from the Game Crafter cost us $70 each, and that didn't include any of the wooden pieces (which we lasercut and painted ourselves), tile bags (which we also made ourselves), or the dice (it was more cost effective to bulk order dice from Chessex instead of getting them from the Game Crafter) and no rule book. Our end cost, per game, from China for a 100% complete copy of Bee Lives is $14.66 per game at a 1500 print run. Granted, that doesn't cover any of the freight, VAT, import duties, etc. but it should give you an idea.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

While I'm still hyper focused on getting Americana done by the deadline, a lot of that is in artists and layout designers hands right now so I'm fiddling with some designs, and one of them I think pops really well. Without saying too much too early, it'd essentially a deck of tarot cards you can play a PbtA game with. The deck will have about 80~ unique cards and ideally would come in a nice two-piece box. Right now I'm trying to figure a way to make a $25 price point work, but reading up on some tarot deck sets and folks are asking for $30-40 for decks of half the size of less than what we're working on right now, that would let me make some much higher quality cards for sure. Any thoughts on this? Obviously Tarot Deck buyers are a different market than TTRPG buyers but I just wondered what price ya'll would say seemed fair for what we're talking about here.

This isn't going to happen till after Americana is shipped, but never too early to theorycraft stuff.

DrivethruCards POD seems to have better prices, at least for poker cards.

''Examples

5,000 US Poker-size promo cards (Premium) = $300.
100 decks of 60 Euro poker-size cards/deck (Embossed) = be $440 ($4.40/deck).
100 decks of 54 US poker-size cards (Premium) + custom printed tuckbox* = $484 ($4.84/deck).
300 decks of 70 US Bridge-size cards (Premium) + plastic deckbox* = $1,560 ($5.20/deck).'

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm looking at a few places that do significantly better prices for print runs around what we're looking at (500~), that makes it roughly $13~ per unit (which becomes a little more with freight but not astronomical) . I can make that work at a price of $25 per deck but it's tight and not what I'd call super profitable. I've spent most of the last week getting a couple quotes and I'm p comfortable with the numbers right now. I'm mainly wondering if people would pay more for the idea, which would let me up the production value a bit as well as pay more folks to make cool stuff.

DriveThruCards POD would be great, cause I'm sort of experienced with them, but their box options are pretty bad, the tuck boxes are pretty low quality comparatively, which is a big shame cause their default tarot options are real cheap and also real good.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I own a few tarot decks (enough that I really want to find good ways to use them as a resolution mechanism in elfgaming). Basically I find a $30-$40 deck to be a reasonable price if it has really good aesthetics.

I'm curious how you're going to meld tarot into PbtA though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Card decks seem to be extremely shaky for kickstarters. I have seen more card kickstarters bite it than anything else. So just do your homework and do it three more times to be sure. :)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Opinions posted:

What ever happened to that game?

The owners moved house and just couldn't run it anymore. They gave refunds from the kickstarter, sold off their stock, and shut it down. Kinda sad, but it was a fairly niche game. This was about... 2 years ago?

I have the rulebooks and models, so break it out occasionally for cons. Plus I did do a design for them, so gotta keep it alive (sorta).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otlgames/the-miasma-war-endless-fantasy-tactics/posts?lang=de&page=3

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

LordAba posted:

The owners moved house and just couldn't run it anymore. They gave refunds from the kickstarter, sold off their stock, and shut it down. Kinda sad, but it was a fairly niche game. This was about... 2 years ago?

I have the rulebooks and models, so break it out occasionally for cons. Plus I did do a design for them, so gotta keep it alive (sorta).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/otlgames/the-miasma-war-endless-fantasy-tactics/posts?lang=de&page=3

Wait, did you do the design for the Witch?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm looking at a few places that do significantly better prices for print runs around what we're looking at (500~), that makes it roughly $13~ per unit (which becomes a little more with freight but not astronomical) . I can make that work at a price of $25 per deck but it's tight and not what I'd call super profitable. I've spent most of the last week getting a couple quotes and I'm p comfortable with the numbers right now. I'm mainly wondering if people would pay more for the idea, which would let me up the production value a bit as well as pay more folks to make cool stuff.

DriveThruCards POD would be great, cause I'm sort of experienced with them, but their box options are pretty bad, the tuck boxes are pretty low quality comparatively, which is a big shame cause their default tarot options are real cheap and also real good.

I've had a friend suggest Make Playing Cards, and their prices look slightly better. Haven't ordered anything from them myself, though.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hedningen posted:

Wait, did you do the design for the Witch?

Yeah, Patrick Keith did the sculpt and I can't remember who did the finalized art, but I had say over the design and rules.
I also did Nona for Aetherium: https://www.anvil-eight.com/product-page/nona along with a couple other minis for Mantic and (ugh) Relic Knights.

EDIT: It looks like some of the old On The Lamb crew are working with / for Secret Weapon minis, so they are still adjacent to the industry!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 20, 2019

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I've had a friend suggest Make Playing Cards, and their prices look slightly better. Haven't ordered anything from them myself, though.

That's one of the places I've got tagged yeah, pricing out the full project there gives me a p reasonable and attainable figure.

Thanks for the feedback y'all, between this chat and others I'm kinda feeling the $30 price point might be palatable for most people, especially if it looks as good as I think it will. I'll show off more after we get Americana out the door.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That's one of the places I've got tagged yeah, pricing out the full project there gives me a p reasonable and attainable figure.

Thanks for the feedback y'all, between this chat and others I'm kinda feeling the $30 price point might be palatable for most people, especially if it looks as good as I think it will. I'll show off more after we get Americana out the door.

The friend of mine that did the Cute and Creepy tarot Kickstarter used them (makeplayingcards.com) and says the quality and customer service were great. Came here to post that but e:f;b.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

LordAba posted:

Yeah, Patrick Keith did the sculpt and I can't remember who did the finalized art, but I had say over the design and rules.
I also did Nona for Aetherium: https://www.anvil-eight.com/product-page/nona along with a couple other minis for Mantic and (ugh) Relic Knights.

EDIT: It looks like some of the old On The Lamb crew are working with / for Secret Weapon minis, so they are still adjacent to the industry!

Awesome stuff. I absolutely adore Patrick Keith as a sculptor - he does amazing work.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I’ve backed 3 or 4 tarot decks on Kickstarter, ranging from $30-$70 & the biggest differences there are if every card has art or only the major arcana.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just chiming in to say that this sounds very cool. Any idea what art you would likely use for the cards?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

We're shooting for a kind of Jet Set Radio aestetic right now. I should probably say tarot is just the size of the cards rather than like, the actual arcana or anything. The basic pitch is that you'd have a deck of about 80 characters, each with a single PBTA move, stats and a weapon. Generally speaking each character dies whenever they'd normally take damage, the card is then discarded and you draw another one. There's a little more to it (some cards have deck action moves, there's some cool setting stuff we're working on, etc) but that's the general concept.

The idea would be to have a very quick and easy way to whip up a game where ever you are, and play testing seems to point to it also being a really good one-on-one TTRPG format too. But we've got a lot more work to do before showing off anything public. I'm thinking July for a KS but that'll depend on when Americana gets done.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

We're shooting for a kind of Jet Set Radio aestetic right now. I should probably say tarot is just the size of the cards rather than like, the actual arcana or anything. The basic pitch is that you'd have a deck of about 80 characters, each with a single PBTA move, stats and a weapon. Generally speaking each character dies whenever they'd normally take damage, the card is then discarded and you draw another one. There's a little more to it (some cards have deck action moves, there's some cool setting stuff we're working on, etc) but that's the general concept.

The idea would be to have a very quick and easy way to whip up a game where ever you are, and play testing seems to point to it also being a really good one-on-one TTRPG format too. But we've got a lot more work to do before showing off anything public. I'm thinking July for a KS but that'll depend on when Americana gets done.

This sounds unbelievably rad.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2025062091/soth-a-game-of-cultists-vs-investigators/

Heard really good things about this one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Yeah, it's fantastic. I don't need a print copy and I already own the game in PDF, so I won't personally be backing, but I can certainly recommend it to those who don't already have it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I don't know Steve personally, but a lot of my friends do and they have nothing but great stuff to say about him and also Soth. I'm super excited.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mantic's Terrain Crate 2 has been up for a few days, geared more towards their Walking Dead game, but also modern, pulp, punk, and horror this time around

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
They just added a set that's solely trees, stumps, and mushrooms. Seems like a great way to add some forests to a board.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

NTRabbit posted:

Mantic's Terrain Crate 2 has been up for a few days, geared more towards their Walking Dead game, but also modern, pulp, punk, and horror this time around

That’s drat nice terrain.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

They just added a set that's solely trees, stumps, and mushrooms. Seems like a great way to add some forests to a board.

The gloomy wood set would be a lot nicer if it had variety in the trees instead of being a ton of repeats - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/terraincrate-2-crate-expectations/posts/2426886

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

I just launched my LIFTS: Ultimate Pump Edition ZineQuest kickstarter.

In LIFTS, the strongest person of your group takes on the role of Muscle Master - the person responsible for running the game. Everyone else creates a character represented by personality traits, skills, and a profession.

LIFTS includes a base game, Roboflex, which provides exercise-based rules for social, combat, pursuit, and technical challenges, as well as character advancement and adventure prompts. LIFTS also includes a number of hacks that modify the base Roboflex game, including Deadlifts & Dragons, Shadowrunning, Muscle of the Week, and a few more - each hack introduces new rules that focus on a different type of exercise and healthy living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I love everything about that.