Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cacator posted:

Under the Skin is vastly different from the book but I love them both.

what were the main differences here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think it was ever gonna be big, but Netflix somewhere hosed up and put Hitmans Bodyguard online so there's been a clean copy going around for a week. Can't help takings.

A loss for the studio, a boon for meme enthusiasts. It's a very gifable movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The book goes into greater detail about what the aliens are doing and there's a whole colony of them operating out of a farm. Also the whole "looking like a human" is done completely different.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think it was ever gonna be big, but Netflix somewhere hosed up and put Hitmans Bodyguard online so there's been a clean copy going around for a week. Can't help takings.

Ironic, considering the director had an extra 30 second video before the movie thanking us for seeing it in theaters

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Vegetable posted:

You guys are overstating the difference between Blu-ray and digital. I worked as a film programmer for a year. We always tried to get digital. But most of our audience genuinely couldn't tell the difference when we did play Blu-ray.

Also, Blu-ray is cheaper to produce and ship than digital. This is a big deal to indie distributors barely making ends meet.

A pixelated picture is probably just a problem with the projection. I recently sat through a screening whose colors were unusually dark and muted. It took me a while to realize it was a problem with the projector's lamp. I was at a major theater chain. This kind of problem is just gonna happen though -- most chains don't have a guy sitting in the projection room anymore.

Yeah that professor I talked about said that there were a few times where she just had no choice but to show the Bluray (the theater she programs is a one screener that only has films certain nights of the week) and that no one complained, although she could tell the difference which is why it made her mad.

I don't think I'd be able to spot the bluray to be honest, I never can tell the differences between formats unless it's as stark as SD to HD. The one thing that I do always notice though is a bad screen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Prestige book is pretty wildly different.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Memento is technically based on a short story by Chris Nolan's brother, but really only shares the core concept, I'm not sure if they share more than one scene together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

The Prestige book is pretty wildly different.

Yeah, there's this whole modern day thing going on and also the New Transported Man works completely different. Instead of making an actual living duplicate it makes a copy that is more like a mannequin.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The book goes into greater detail about what the aliens are doing and there's a whole colony of them operating out of a farm. Also the whole "looking like a human" is done completely different.

Ah, cool. I quite liked how the movie was a bit vague and mysterious about it all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, there's this whole modern day thing going on and also the New Transported Man works completely different. Instead of making an actual living duplicate it makes a copy that is more like a mannequin.

Plus it's only vaguely implied that two people are writing diary entries to each other and never explicitly states that they're twins.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Wait - that's Suicide Squad.

Good movie y'all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The main difference is that you have access to Isserly's interiority, something that the film deliberately separates you form.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

This weekend is now the official worst Labor Day weekend since 2000 and had no major releases, though several films improved from last weekend. Next weekend has It, the Reese Witherspoon rents out her house to sexy young studs and her ex-husband gets mad movie Home Again, and the 9/11 movie with Charlie Sheen that looks like a joke but will be in 500 theaters

I do what I want, son

I legit thought I had hallucinated that 9/11 trailer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joylessdivision posted:

I legit thought I had hallucinated that 9/11 trailer.
I wish I had

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I know people have said similar, but it truly does look like a fake/SNL trailer. Like, if this was back in the Hot-Shots era Sheen we'd think it was hilarious.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The main difference is that you have access to Isserly's interiority, something that the film deliberately separates you form.

Just doing a bit of reading up on this, seems like I missed out on the book entirely. Cheers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Just doing a bit of reading up on this, seems like I missed out on the book entirely. Cheers.

The book's really good, I'm of a mind to call it quirky.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

well why not posted:

I know people have said similar, but it truly does look like a fake/SNL trailer. Like, if this was back in the Hot-Shots era Sheen we'd think it was hilarious.

Maybe, but it's played so straight and seems so completely tone deaf.

I've never seen the other 9/11 movies but at least with the one Nic Cage (loving lol) was, the trailers at least got across clearly "Tragic Hero Story" and was directed by Oliver Stone, so even if it did spin out into conspiracy madness, at least it would be well made.

I'm just so confused who asked for this movie? I figured we were done with movies about 9/11 after the first batch of which all seemed to come out around 05/06.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

joylessdivision posted:

I'm just so confused who asked for this movie? I figured we were done with movies about 9/11 after the first batch of which all seemed to come out around 05/06.

We all thought the first batch of movies was maybe just a horrific accident.

But then the second batch hit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

joylessdivision posted:

I'm just so confused who asked for this movie?

Given all of Sheen's batshit insane stances, I figure he just lined up the financing during a massive cocaine binge.

Edit: I'll be stunned if the movie doesn't end with a title card of the towers on fire, with text along the lines of, "In memory of the victims, and in dedication to the truth being told," or something similarly gross.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 5, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm disappointed that Whoopi is apparently a little nuts too. Sheen on the other hand is a disgusting drug fueled lich and I couldn't be less impressed with him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm disappointed that Whoopi is apparently a little nuts too. Sheen on the other hand is a disgusting drug fueled lich and I couldn't be less impressed with him.

Whoopi has been completely bonko for years.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lobok posted:

We all thought the first batch of movies was maybe just a horrific accident.

But then the second batch hit.

:popeye:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Collin Tevorrow drops as director for Episode IX
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/colin-trevorrow-as-director-star-wars-episode-ix-1035463

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

New director Zack Snyder announced

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Come on, Jodorowsky!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

New director Zack Snyder Clint Eastwood announced

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Great news.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

New director Zack Snyder announced

I might actually stroke out if this were announced, not that there's any chance of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Director David Wain announced, fired after shooting 95% when Disney is surprised it looks a lot like a comedy. Film finished by George Lucas

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Director David Wain announced, fired after shooting 95% when Disney is surprised it looks a lot like a comedy. Film finished by George Lucas

Brett Ratner*

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yet again I'm compelled to suggest Shane Carruth take over and scrap the entire thing and build it back from the ground up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No they'd go with someone old hat and respectable, like a Carl Reiner.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just pop him in the bacta tanks I guess.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Disney could hire a woman directahahahaha

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I actually think someone like Matthew Vaughan or Martin Campbell will take over. People with some amount of studio confidence without an overwhelming personal style.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
David Lynch was supposed to direct ROTJ.

I say let him do Episode IX. I mean, Laura Dern is already playing a character in this universe, right? Everything fits right in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gonz posted:

David Lynch was supposed to direct ROTJ.

I say let him do Episode IX. I mean, Laura Dern is already playing a character in this universe, right? Everything fits right in.

Looks like that film series you like is coming back in style.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'd like to see the guy that directed Tron: Legacy and Oblivion do it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ego-bot posted:

I'd like to see the guy that directed Tron: Legacy and Oblivion do it.

I'd be down for Daft Punk and M83 having cameos in Episode IX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jordan Vogt-Roberts.

• Locked thread