Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

what if their code opened all their textures in write mode (and they don't keep backups) and then scrambled them up and poo poo? If you're a really, really bad programmer I can think of a few ways you could permanently gently caress a project with coding errors. Especially if you don't use version control or keep backups of assets.

Somebody with the level of experience they have makes me really, really skeptical that they're writing anything that's going to be directly editing game assets. There are certainly ways you could have your game break itself, but they're not exactly things idiots have much access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Grammar Aryan posted:

I've dealt with enough lazy/amateur programmers to be able to translate.

"We don't know what version control is and one of us changed something so now it won't compile and we're too lazy to debug things. gently caress it, I'm out."

Absolutely this.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Zaphod42 posted:

The permanent damage is to their brains :eng101:

yeah but flyingorc's point is its total BS. There's no such thing as "can't be fixed"; its just "can't be bothered to fix it, gonna do something else now" which doesn't sound so hot.

Actually, like I said, it's more like they didn't have anything in the first place because they found out it would actually take effort. They ARE fresh out of viddy game school after all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

what if their code opened all their textures in write mode (and they don't keep backups) and then scrambled them up and poo poo? If you're a really, really bad programmer I can think of a few ways you could permanently gently caress a project with coding errors. Especially if you don't use version control or keep backups of assets.
They made the original textures once, they can do it again.

Also as noted you'd have to go out of your way to do that terrible idea.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Zereth posted:

They made the original textures once, they can do it again.

Also as noted you'd have to go out of your way to do that terrible idea.

There's a zillion ways you can gently caress up a project if you're not using source control, you're a lovely programmer, and you're trying to coordinate multiple people.

"This code here works okay, but we have a bug with it."

<tinkers, code balloons to 10x the size it was before, bug still isn't fixed>

"Wow, now this poo poo is real broken."

<Can't roll back changes because there's no backup. Guy who wrote the original code that mostly worked is long gone.>

Of course this is not a truly unrecoverable situation, but if you're a lovely programmer then it seems like it could be.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Feb 19, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

They probably broke something so Game Maker won't load their game any more.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

TetsuoTW posted:

They probably broke something so Game Maker won't load their game any more.

scratched the disk

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Reminder that Project Zomboid, one of the major games responsible for Steam's current state Early Access fuckshittery and which is still hugely unfinished 4 years after its initial debut, once lost months of progress because their apartment was burgled and they had zero offsite backups in place.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Ryoshi posted:

The oldass cool space game Starflight actually rewrote it's code in the executable every time you saved the game so it was way easy to gently caress something up and need to completely reinstall.

But that was because computers at the time had less working memory than a modern wristwatch. Now there's pretty much no excuse for something like that other than blazing incompetence, and even in some kind of catastrophic failure why wouldn't you keep backups???

IIRC it rewrote the disks themselves so good luck unfucking it if you weren't playing off a backup.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ryoshi posted:

why wouldn't you keep backups???

It's okay, they had RAID1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ErIog posted:

There's a zillion ways you can gently caress up a project if you're not using source control, you're a lovely programmer, and you're trying to coordinate multiple people.

"This code here works okay, but we have a bug with it."

<tinkers, code balloons to 10x the size it was before, bug still isn't fixed>

"Wow, now this poo poo is real broken."

<Can't roll back changes because there's no backup. Guy who wrote the original code that mostly worked is long gone.>

Of course this is not a truly unrecoverable situation, but if you're a lovely programmer then it seems like it could be.

Sleeveless posted:

Reminder that Project Zomboid, one of the major games responsible for Steam's current state Early Access fuckshittery and which is still hugely unfinished 4 years after its initial debut, once lost months of progress because their apartment was burgled and they had zero offsite backups in place.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also who the gently caress collects money for a kickstarter to make a game project and then doesn't keep AAAANY backups whatsoever? I mean honestly, that's just wrong. Lack of off-site backups is poo poo and it screwed over project zomboid, but they still had backups period. Not having any form of backup whatsoever would just be juvenile. Criminal negligence.

:colbert:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well that didn't work:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1203202560/the-riderville-radio-sitcom

quote:

Each half-hour episode of THE RIDERVILLE RADIO SITCOM takes place during a famous game in the Roughriders' history. Stories will centre on a group of fans at each game, being forced to deal with any variety of commotion around them.

Contemporary news, politics, and key moments of the game in each era, pack the comedy into something that feels like Corner Gas meeting Bull Durham on the AM dial of history.

The series premiers on 620 CKRM in June. Click 'PLAY' in the above graphic to hear a demo of the series.

They only need 19 grand by tomorrow guys.

HEY MILLENIALS, HOW DO YOU DO KIDDOS OF FELLOW? WE ARE GOING ON THE SKATEBOARDS LATER JOIN US FOR THE RAD TIME

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/millennials-for-jeb-pac

hell yes ladies i'm pretty cool i know i got a badly illustrator-trace-lined picture of the jebster on a flask, whats up

edit:

Literally only 4 donations and it looks very much like 2 of them are "Lucas Agnew" here figuring out how to make anonymous ones.

pathetic little tramp has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Feb 19, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

For reference for any non-Canadians reading this thread, they're trying to raise 20 grand to make a period piece radio show based around the fandom of a single specific sports team from the second most popular sport in a country that only cares about one sport.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

pathetic little tramp posted:

Literally only 4 donations and it looks very much like 2 of them are "Lucas Agnew" here figuring out how to make anonymous ones.

Pffhahahahaha!

Can't you be enterprising enough to like reneg them so nobody sees, fuckin moron :cawg:

A guy using the Age of Mythology box-art as the only image

This seems really familiar...

And I always post at least three, so have this one for fun

quote:

Hi, I’m Steven and I’ve been a gamer for a while now. This idea was birthed when I was playing a game and had no one to play with. It then occurred to me that there must be easier ways to find gamers who shared the same games as me and have the same availability.

Maybe try getting a job; suddenly you'll find you have roughly the same availability as everyone else!

edit: HOLY FUCKIN poo poo

quote:

I will create a game based on your ideas. In addition to my game that I am currently working on. I will not create MMO or FPS games.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

"Give me money for the privelege of being my ideas guy." I love this guy!

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Feb 19, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Complete 100% Athiest? Love the whole "who's imaginary friend is best" argument thing that people always seem to get into? Never seem to be able to definitively settle the row.... UNTIL NOW! Top Trumps have been settling arguments on everything from race cars to super villains. Now God Trumps is here we can finally find out who's God is best.

Even if you are a "bit religious" and even prove it by going to a building once or twice a week. Take yourselves less seriously with a pack of God Trumps and challenge your "man/woman who stands at the front of your building reading old books" to a game.

God Trumps will be a deck of cards that will help the world have fun with something that usually is about as much fun as having "sand in your vagina"

:stonk: Those are words.

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010

DStecks posted:

For reference for any non-Canadians reading this thread, they're trying to raise 20 grand to make a period piece radio show based around the fandom of a single specific sports team from the second most popular sport in a country that only cares about one sport.

Even in Saskatchewan we think this poo poo is stupid.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Boys and girls like Minecraft, sure, but let's make a special one for girls anyway! :sparkles:

quote:

Most of you know that Minecraft is a game that boys and girls everywhere are obsessed with it! Even though the game seems to be intended for boys, my little girl loves it! So I got to thinking... What if they had one with unicorns and fairies... If it was pink and purple... It just clicked it would be amazing!!

And what is this woman's qualifications?

quote:

I have been to school for computer programming but I would hire a second party to do all the art creations. Then I would hire a third party to create the actual game with all of the ideas that come up!

An ideas person, you guessed it! Also if you play the video pitch, no your web player didn't gently caress up, she literally hid the video so it only recorded audio, then her son/daughter (I can't tell) was forced to read some shittily written statement, even though there's a pic of a daughter on the page anyway. :confused:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

pathetic little tramp posted:

HEY MILLENIALS, HOW DO YOU DO KIDDOS OF FELLOW? WE ARE GOING ON THE SKATEBOARDS LATER JOIN US FOR THE RAD TIME

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/millennials-for-jeb-pac

hell yes ladies i'm pretty cool i know i got a badly illustrator-trace-lined picture of the jebster on a flask, whats up

edit:

quote:

So far, the group pretty much consists of Agnew, who Googled how to set up a super PAC. (“I didn’t realize how easy it was to start one,” he noted.) He used Weebly.com to create a slick Web site that declares: “Jeb is Ready. Are You?”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/02/17/millennials-for-jeb-tries-to-catch-up-with-ready-for-hillary/

Also I see a scandal brewing:

quote:

The Washington state native, who got his start in politics working as the campaign sign coordinator for a mayoral candidate in high school, hired an artist online (“I think someone in India”) to design a graphic for merchandise.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Just off the top of my head I can think of three mods and a texture pack that will turn minecraft into exactly what this woman wants. All the fun of suffocating gender roles without breaking the bank! :sparkles:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
People made fun of the girly Lego sets and they've sold beyond even LEGO's expectations. Although yeah, texture packs and mods already exist for this.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Exploding Kittens now has more than twice the number of backers of Reading Rainbow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

I have been to school for computer programming but I would hire a second party to do all the art creations. Then I would hire a third party to create the actual game with all of the ideas that come up! If their is any setbacks I will work hard to fix the problem promptly, and continue till the finish!

:doh:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Exploding Kittens has raised more money that the Ouya

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

Boys and girls like Minecraft, sure, but let's make a special one for girls anyway! :sparkles:

And what is this woman's qualifications?

An ideas person, you guessed it! Also if you play the video pitch, no your web player didn't gently caress up, she literally hid the video so it only recorded audio, then her son/daughter (I can't tell) was forced to read some shittily written statement, even though there's a pic of a daughter on the page anyway. :confused:

TBH, you can build a Minecraft clone in Unity in 30 minutes. It's not that hard to build procedural voxel chunks, which is pretty much what Minecraft is. In fact, people are already complaining about Steam being filled with Minecraft clones because they're so simple to build.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The player character in Minecraft is actually supposed to be gender-neutral, it's just that the graphics are so bad that their smiley face looks like a goatee.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boom boom boom posted:

Exploding Kittens now has more than twice the number of backers of Reading Rainbow

That's bad.

boom boom boom posted:

Exploding Kittens has raised more money that the Ouya

That's good!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

theflyingorc posted:

That's bad.

That's good!

And the Exploding Kittens kickstarter just finished with roughly 8.8 million dollars in pledges from ~219,000 backers.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

KiddieGrinder posted:

My favorite is the end

*whispers*: "Thank you"
Kid: "Thank y" END VIDEO!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

cyberia posted:

And the Exploding Kittens kickstarter just finished with roughly 8.8 million dollars in pledges from ~219,000 backers.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

DStecks posted:

Hell, I live in Saskatchewan, and I'll give them credit for trying, but this is a goddamn stupid idea.

As a non-football loving person (lub me mah hockey, though) only Winnipeg and Saskatchewan genuinely care about football, and Saskatchewan only cause they can't support an NHL team (I wish they could :sigh:).

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Feb 20, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Why is it always that gaming (not necessarily video) related kickstarters are more and more of an atrocity, the more money they bring in? Is this some kind of universal constant that we can apply scientifically?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I always thought curling was sport #2 in Canada.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

cyberia posted:

My god, I need to find something to make a kickstarter about like asap.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shadoer posted:

may i recommend a microwallet?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Shadoer posted:

Find some game people are nostalgic for, doesn't need to be good. Find someone who worked on it, and say you are making a spiritual sequel with their help.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Remaking Laser Squad should be a good idea, considering how successful new X-COM is. It's like the Wasteland kickstarter to Fallout 3.

Also, I'm sure you can hire some developers who worked on it for a pint of lager.

\/\/\/ drat it, again Gollop is one step ahead of me. I guess the next thing to kickstart would be Barmy Burgers.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Feb 20, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Probably not, seeing as how Julian Gollop already successfully kickstarted a remake of his earlier game Chaos.

Cheez posted:

Why is it always that gaming (not necessarily video) related kickstarters are more and more of an atrocity, the more money they bring in? Is this some kind of universal constant that we can apply scientifically?

No. Only a handful of traditional gaming projects have taken over $1m and most of them are fine. Kingdom Death drags the average up by having miniatures that treat women in ways that would make a Gorean puke, but it's an exception rather than a rule and I also believe it's a long way behind schedule (aka "there's a good chance it's vapourware").

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

cyberia posted:

Still can't hate it.

Dumb teens and goony adults want a dumb card game, are almost certain to GET a dumb card game because gently caress, with 8.8 million it would be almost impossible to fail to create a dumb card game. Unlike ridiculously over-ambitious projects like "completely tear down the home console market" and "build a AAA MMO", there's not a whole lot that can go wrong, and it's not bullshit unbuildable tech like that projection watch, or a scam. Pretty much the worst thing about it is "wow there are a lot of people with a bad sense of humour who like card games", and we knew that anyway.

Also, Magic: the Gathering pulls in a quarter of a BILLION dollars a year as a brand. People spend money on card games, this is not news.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't the exploding kittens kickstarter basically just a "preorder a deck of cards" deal? As in, they already have the deck, they just wanted to measure interest before spending the effort of making their own web shop thing, or printing 100k decks then noticing there's no market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Yes, but doing it like this also creates its own special hype. They wouldn't have got anywhere near that volume of orders if they'd simply launched he product on the Oatmeal store page.