Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I've had the nuts holding the back of soft top to the car come loose and the whole thing making a bad creaking noise on turns. Maybe check under the carpet piece with the soft top up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
How roomy is the NC compared to the NA? My NA is finally giving up on life, and nothing on the market is really calling to me right now, but I just can't cram myself into another car as small as my NA again. I'm 6'4", and getting old enough that my joints don't like being packed into the Miata anymore :(

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I had weird problem the last little while.

When I pressed the brakes. My parking lights and dash would illuminate. The first time it happened, it only happened for an hour. I thought it was just the maybe the cold snap, or excessive windshield washer use. (long story)

However, it's been happening regularly for a few days now. And while typing this, and Googling some more. I fixed it.

I noticed that when switching my parking lights on, my third brake light would come on. And when pressing the brake, the parking lights/dash would come on.

While Googling my symptoms, I came across this thread:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=262876

And this post.

quote:

Sounds to me like the P.O. put a single filiment bulb, maybe an 1156 in one of the tail light sockets. That would short the brake lights to the parking lights as you describe.

Cheers...............Todd

Sure enough, one of the 1157 bulbs had one filament touching the other. Making it behave like an 1156. I replaced both. (Because the packages come in pairs) And now everything is fine again.

(basic) Science!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

How roomy is the NC compared to the NA? My NA is finally giving up on life, and nothing on the market is really calling to me right now, but I just can't cram myself into another car as small as my NA again. I'm 6'4", and getting old enough that my joints don't like being packed into the Miata anymore :(

I would say the NA is easily the roomiest and arguably the most comfortable of the three generations. I have a 96 NA and a 2010 GT PRHT (and had a 2003 NB) and the NC has better NVH by far, but the seat really doesnt recline enough or have enough lumbar support or bolstering.

It seems that sometime in the early 2000 somebody decided that convertible seats musy sit in a "tub" with a big vertical plastic wall behind you. I first noticed it in german roadsters like the Z4 or SLK and the NC has this "feature" and it limits seat travel big time. I suppose its there to enclose a power top mechanism.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 17, 2014

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

I've never been in a NA to compare but I have a NC and am 6'2" and I feel like I am about the upper bounds for what was designed for.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
It shouldn't be hard to find an NC to try on. I'm 6'2" and fit pretty well in mine with a little room to spare, but whether it works for you is going to depend on how you're built.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I'm probably going to run a full season this year on the na in e stock. I was going to get another set of RS3s but I can't find them anywhere for less than the rivals. So it looks like rivals it is, but will their 225s for stock miata rims? I saw the 205s had tread separation issues.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can you even fit 225s without rubbing like crazy?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

225's on stock wheels? 205's are sloppy enough on stock wheels, 225 is too much for a 6" wide wheel...

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

TrueChaos posted:

225's on stock wheels? 205's are sloppy enough on stock wheels, 225 is too much for a 6" wide wheel...

275/35R15 on 15x6 wheel for E-stock is not an unheard-of thing. The stopwatch doesn't lie, regardless of what it feels like (it won't feel good).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Savington posted:

275/35R15 on 15x6 wheel for E-stock is not an unheard-of thing. The stopwatch doesn't lie, regardless of what it feels like (it won't feel good).

It's like the reverse of the geniuses who run 195s on a 10-inch-wide rim.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Ran a few track days and about 1.5 seasons of autocross with 225/45/15s on my stock 15x6s. I had less rub than I do on my 205/55/15 street tires. They don't feel awesome but rubber choices are limited. Unless I go to str or csp (which I won't) it's my only choice.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Savington posted:

That... That fit without any kind of modifications to the fender liners, or rolling the fenders? I'm impressed.

If you're going to put 225's on a 6" wheel I'd probably go with rivals for the stiffer sidewalls.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

TrueChaos posted:

That... That fit without any kind of modifications to the fender liners, or rolling the fenders? I'm impressed.

That's an ITR in D-stock, I doubt it would work on a stock Miata. The point was that what is "correct" and what is "fast" are often not the same. :)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

duuur I didn't even notice the 5 lugs :downs:. And your point is well received!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My antenna mast isn't retracting fully, most likely just frozen solid at one of the segments. Is there any way to prevent it from moving besides not using the radio/cd at all? Mainly not to have it stick out when parked on the street.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

My antenna mast isn't retracting fully, most likely just frozen solid at one of the segments. Is there any way to prevent it from moving besides not using the radio/cd at all? Mainly not to have it stick out when parked on the street.
There should be an inline plug underneath the antenna behind the trim in the boot, or there is in the NB at least.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

mobby_6kl posted:

When mine stopped working, there was a thermo fuse near the motor that broke. We removed that, and it retracted. I couldn't tell you how to find it. An electrical engineer fixed it for me. I keep it unplugged anyways since I use aux.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Potential good deal alert:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4303205799.html

quote:

1994 Miata R

-Hard Top

-116,000 miles

-Unmodified (original 14" wheels included) R with original Bilstein shocks

-16" Gunmetal Rota Circuit 8 wheels

-New Kumho Ecsta AST 205/45 16 tires with only a few hundred miles on them.

-Newer brake pads and rotors

-100,000 mile service performed

-No leaks or major mechanical issues. Runs great.

-Tired paint with peeling on hood and rear deck

-Soft top requires repair or replacement (fixed glass in the top has separated from the cloth)

-Frayed drivers side seat belt

-Wear on driver side seat

-Do not have the R front air dam

$4000 or best offfer

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Mine does this occasionally, though with a little pressure I can usually push it all the way down. Hasn't done any harm, do people really snap antennas off where you live or something?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My Miata's suspension is done for. It's at 160xxx miles and on original suspension still. I can't afford to replace the car, but my wife's uncle and dad are mechanics and will put new parts on for free if I can get a good deal. What are the best places to watch for salvage/junkyard parts these days? Craigslist in my area (central Wisconsin) is a wasteland for Miata parts. Alternatively, is there a decent set of 4 shocks that can be had for <$500 new?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

My Miata's suspension is done for. It's at 160xxx miles and on original suspension still. I can't afford to replace the car, but my wife's uncle and dad are mechanics and will put new parts on for free if I can get a good deal. What are the best places to watch for salvage/junkyard parts these days? Craigslist in my area (central Wisconsin) is a wasteland for Miata parts. Alternatively, is there a decent set of 4 shocks that can be had for <$500 new?

You can get Tokicos or KYBs new for around $100/corner.
http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=77383
http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=77401

or Konis for cheap:
http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=90498

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Shocks are very likely the only things that need changing in your Miata. I would get upgraded bumpstops while your at it as well.

Protip: Springs don't actually wear out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ziploc posted:

Shocks are very likely the only things that need changing in your Miata. I would get upgraded bumpstops while your at it as well.

Protip: Springs don't actually wear out.

Thanks for the tip. The springs may not be worn out in the strictest sense, but they're CRAZY WISCONSIN RUSTY. It's good to know that I can fix up the car for $500+beer, though. Thanks for the links.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Thanks for the tip. The springs may not be worn out in the strictest sense, but they're CRAZY WISCONSIN RUSTY. It's good to know that I can fix up the car for $500+beer, though. Thanks for the links.

I think they should be fine. My car is on the original springs from 1997 and has been winter driven since new. About 20% of the spring paint (and 80% of the sway bar paint) is gone. Everything seems to work fine. Fine enough to still be able to drive the snot out of it at AutoX.

Honestly, get some progressive bumpstops from FatCatMotorsports. Rear Miata travel isn't much, and it's easy to contact bumpstops. Putting in softer, progressive ones are a massive improvement over the hard OEM ones. Half the time I hit them I don't even notice. And they're a bit shorter so you hit them even less to begin with!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TrueChaos posted:

Mine does this occasionally, though with a little pressure I can usually push it all the way down. Hasn't done any harm, do people really snap antennas off where you live or something?

When I got my NB, the antenna was in the trunk in two pieces :) It didn't look like it was bent accidentally so I assume some bored teenagers do that from time to time. So better safe than sorry, considering a soft-top miata already stands out from a sea of white diesel shitboxes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can get cheap civic bumpstops shipped for about 3 bucks each and just cut them to the size you want. I can't afford fancy miata tuner bumpstops or fancy non Chinese shocks.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

When I got my NB, the antenna was in the trunk in two pieces :) It didn't look like it was bent accidentally so I assume some bored teenagers do that from time to time. So better safe than sorry, considering a soft-top miata already stands out from a sea of white diesel shitboxes.

Teenagers :argh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Holy poo poo somebody jump on this.

http://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/4313561660.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow, which ai goons live near Lansing? Wish I could run across a deal like that.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Killer deal, wish I was anywhere close to it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Would you guys use it for a V8 swap or just find another 1.8? How much would it cost to replace the 1.8, anyways?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
~500$ to replace it, less if you shop around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Meatpimp and I have both sent messages. He'll win because I can't get up there til Sunday and if not then it's the following weekend before I could make it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Too far away from me and I don't have a garage for a swap, but if one of you two picks it up and wants to turn it around, I'd take it off your hands for a reasonable price.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Just heard back from the guy, he says that someone posted his number and he happens to own a 94, but not the one posted.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some terrible prank I guess. What's he want for the 94?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We were discussing it on FB, his friends are either loving with him or the maker of the ad did indeed put up the wrong number.

isr
Jun 13, 2013
mazdaspeed acquired, now to try not to drive it (anymore) until I can get it titled and registered...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A junkyard VVT is $800 or so.

Looks like it's a :pranke:.