Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Man, I just remembered a bit of a grief I pulled off back when I was still starting out in WoW.

Around this time of year, there's an in-game event/holiday that coincides with the Chinese New Year. The main focus is in Moonglade, a rather isolated "neutral" zone, and on the event's summonable world boss, Omen. Omen's summoning is fairly unique, in that it's based off of people spamming these fireworks that make up much of the rest of the event. Not only that, if you didn't have a fairly cohesive group, you'd best prepare to have your poo poo kicked in at least several times thanks to this rather nasty attack of his spread over a rather large area, and have to run back from the graveyard to wherever your group had dragged him off to. The kicker? The guy doesn't directly drop any loot whatsoever; you need to have a quest that involves getting a buff by running through his corpse, and even then it only rewards you a couple vanity/cosmetic items.

Now, one night I was on my first paladin; I'd only been in WoW for a month, so the guy was pretty low-level, not even 1g to his name yet. Anyhow, I decided to blow all of my cash to buy fireworks to summon Omen. When I got to the spot, however, I saw a group that was just finishing up with killing him. At first, I was disheartened for blowing all of my cash on fireworks I hadn't needed after all. Then I had a thought: So far as I was aware, there wasn't any minimum time you had to wait before Omen could be summoned again (probably because, as mentioned, he wasn't a loot pinata).

So, I started spamming fireworks as fast as I could click 'em, and lo and behold, turned out I was right: There he was, coming right out of the lake... On a group that had their guard down from just getting done with killing him the first time. :unsmigghh: Needless to say, lots of angry yelling and despair erupted once the group wiped, since they'd have to go through all of his poo poo again just to get that buff for the quest.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tsurupettan posted:

This abso-loving-lutely needs to be cross-posted from the Age of Wushu thread:

There is an obsessive sperg named Honeybeez that hunts down and camps goons, so I'm hoping that we can jail them for at least 24 real-time hours. To get out of jail you have to spend that time logged into the game.

Ha ha ha, that's the better part of a month for a free to play player.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tsurupettan posted:

There is an obsessive sperg named Honeybeez that hunts down and camps goons, so I'm hoping that we can jail them for at least 24 real-time hours. To get out of jail you have to spend that time logged into the game.

It's like someone made this game for the sole purpose of letting goons grief people in unique and interesting ways.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

That seems to be the Goon modus operandi in any game. Just throw waves and waves of people at any problem.

It's great because it is easy and it absolutely pisses pubbies off like nothing else can.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ariong posted:

Ha ha ha, that's the better part of a month for a free to play player.

Nope, the hour a day thing is only while the game is in closed beta! And it switches to open beta come February 1st. F2P mostly just gets boned on having to be logged in all day to get their skills up and only getting 70 percent XP conversion. The game is actually pretty legit, for the most part.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Zaodai posted:

That's how pubbies see it. Realistically, coordination is what brings about patented Goon SuperiorityTM.

Goon strategy is basically the Battle of Agincourt.

I think of goonrush tactics more like the biblical story of Gideon. He was the guy who won a decisive military victory by getting the enemy to attack each other, after his small group of soldiers surrounded their camp at night, blew into battle horns, and smashed jars to make noise :v:

The Vampirate
Apr 12, 2011

by T. Finninho
Downloading Wushu, if a fella wants to get straight to the griefing, what is a newbies quickest path to pubbie tears?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Simply being part of the guild is a good start! Certain guilds will gank you just for being a goon.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Tsurupettan posted:

This abso-loving-lutely needs to be cross-posted from the Age of Wushu thread:

Please tell me that it logs you off for going afk. :allears:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hipster Occultist posted:

Please tell me that it logs you off for going afk. :allears:

Doesn't matter. Serious MMO players cannot stand any aspect of their characters being out of their control, even temporarily. It drives them to the brink of literal insanity. See the discussion some time ago about marking players in WoW. It has no effect on the character in any way at all, but they will go into a blind, howling, spitting rage if you do it to them, simply because you have done something to them that they cannot undo. It takes away the tiniest sliver of control and they just can't have that.

Forcing them out of the game for any amount of time I can only imagine would be several orders of magnitude worse. The hatemail from one person alone would keep the grief thread going another 5 years.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

What I meant was for that amount of real time they couldn't just remain logged in, they actually have to sit at the computer and prevent themselves from going afk.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
I started playing Age of Wushu like four days ago and I have already pushed many, many higher level players off cliffs as they afk train their mystic kungfu skills.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tsurupettan posted:

This is one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen and there had best be a status report on how this turns out. :allears:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hipster Occultist posted:

What I meant was for that amount of real time they couldn't just remain logged in, they actually have to sit at the computer and prevent themselves from going afk.

A lot of these guys have e-Responsobility with their guilds and stuff, so they'll spend a lot of time staring at themselves in the joint just to be around in chat. You can just log in and walk away with no worries, but this is too much. Instead, we get tears.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
How harsh are the system requirements? I'm going to be limited to my laptop with an integrated Intel HD 4000 card, would it be able to run the game?

Magres posted:

Nope, the hour a day thing is only while the game is in closed beta! And it switches to open beta come February 1st. F2P mostly just gets boned on having to be logged in all day to get their skills up and only getting 70 percent XP conversion. The game is actually pretty legit, for the most part.

So its open now?

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
It got bumped back to Spring for truly open, so although it's totally free to play now, the hilarious mistranslations have delayed the "closed" beta some more. Not that it matters, because they're not doing wipes.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

1stGear posted:

How harsh are the system requirements? I'm going to be limited to my laptop with an integrated Intel HD 4000 card, would it be able to run the game?

I started a couple days ago on a laptop with an HD 3000 and so far it hasn't been too bad. I've had to play on minimum specs, but it seems to run fine. Other characters sometimes look a little choppy when they're zipping around with cool abilities I don't have yet. I haven't yet been in a spot with more than a half-dozen characters fighting though, so that may affect the performance too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

1stGear posted:

So its open now?

No idea, but unlimited play beta keys are literally a dime a dozen. Goons post several thousand key giveaways in the thread pretty regularly

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Magres posted:

No idea, but unlimited play beta keys are literally a dime a dozen. Goons post several thousand key giveaways in the thread pretty regularly
Better.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Age of Wushu as a goon is hilarious.

I have been killed at least 20 times as a nobody just because of my tag, and I've only been on like 3 nights. One of these nights was as part of a horde that evicted a bunch of supersperg catgirl enthusiasts from their upgraded (at their cost, right before we stole it I guess?) guild dumpster.

When I get killed, I invariably get told things like

"u betr leave that guild we just gonna keep killing you"
"get used to it this is your only worning"
"goontangclan is kill on sett"
"you going to just keep dieding"

I've taken to acting like I got scammed/tricked into the guild since I'm so low. I tell them I'm desperate to get out but can't figure out how, and lament the amount of money goons have taken from me and all the terrible stuff they tell me I have to do.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

uwaeve posted:

I have been killed at least 20 times as a nobody just because of my tag, and I've only been on like 3 nights. One of these nights was as part of a horde that evicted a bunch of supersperg catgirl enthusiasts from their upgraded (at their cost, right before we stole it I guess?) guild dumpster.
What's the penalty for dying? Killing all goons on sette seems like the sort of thing that would only help until people actually hide their tags, at which point thing devolve beyond the ability of the average pubbie to keep track of "who is a goon" lists.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Xander77 posted:

What's the penalty for dying? Killing all goons on sette seems like the sort of thing that would only help until people actually hide their tags, at which point thing devolve beyond the ability of the average pubbie to keep track of "who is a goon" lists.

The price of dying is way lower than what the pubbies hold it to. You only lose some bound silver, which is the currency that can only be used on npcs. The game gives you poo poo tons of that. A lot of pubbies think there's some dishonor in dying or something.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 1, 2013

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xander77 posted:

There's no real penalty, other than being sent to the nearest healing hall for a minute before you heal back up and wander off again.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lazy Programming posted:

The price of dying is way lower than what the pubbies hold it to. You only lose some bound silver, which is the currency that can only be used on npcs. The game gives you poo poo tons of that. A lot of pubbies thing there's some dishonor in dying or something.

The only conceivable way they can bother you through this is if they kill you like eighty times, at which point you have to start paying for gear repairs.

And honestly, most goons run with crap vendor gear at the moment, since the explosion in population has swamped our limited population of crafters with work. I just handed out about two dozen pieces of statted gear yesterday, and I haven't even made a dent in the massive number of people I have to outfit. This is basically what'd happen if Goonswarm popped into EVE one day, and everyone needed a ship.

So most people just trash their gear and get a new set if they need it at the moment, keeping the statted gear for repairs.

Now, gold and jade gear is apparently not repairable. Which means that once that becomes more common, griefing the players who think they can roll around in the equivalent of rocking a Titan in EVE will become very profitable.

On the other hand, you can grief people very easily with Beggars, still. Even if they try to counter it by getting their alcohol tolerance levels up. I just discovered another beautiful thing I can do by vomiting up wine onto people. I call it the Drunken Assassin.

The Drunken Assassin:

So beggars can get people drunk. That's probably known, since it was one of the first big things posted in the thread. What I didn't mention is how horrifically it can gently caress up group runs of the various instances of the game.

Y'see, this game isn't like other games. Every now and then, players can opt in to attack your party raiding the instance. This results in them crashing your boss fights when the boss requests help fighting you. This usually results in a bunch of pubbie morons AFKing at the spawn, or running off to loot the bonus chests like a bunch of idiots. Which is stupid, because those chests are worthless, and you get nothing for losing.

However, there is a way to completely gently caress over a party on many of the later tier bosses. To the point where a lone assassin can destroy an entire group if they didn't come prepared for it. You see, like many bosses, this game's NPC boss battles have powerful AOE attacks. Beggars can get people piss drunk, which reduces their movement speed and makes it hard to maneuver. Do the math.

What's more, if you chug a pot of wine (Yes, an entire loving pot. You just down it all at once without stopping. Drinking in this game is hardcore.), you get a huge dodge bonus on top of the free wine spray stack. So you're guaranteed to get at least one off.

This essentially turns you into a literal drunken suicide bomber, flying into combat, weaving through attacks (The dodge animation is hilarious for this, as is the confusion from various players as to why they can't hit you.) before depositing your foul smelling load on some poor sod. Two, at wine spray level 3, is enough to get someone drunk in two hits provided they don't have enough tolerance.

Oh, and did I mention that every time you hit someone with wine spray you knock them down, reducing their DPS on the boss? And that some of the later bosses often need every second of that DPS to pull off a win?

So, the party begins to panic because they can't move fast. And no matter how many times you kill them, you're back in another 40 seconds to force their drunk levels up. Meaning there's no escape from the ever increasing stacks of drunkenness. The fight gains another mechanic, then. Race the beggar/s to kill the boss, before they completely screw over the party.

Should they fail (And they have about two minutes tops to do the run if people do this constantly.), this means that they can't get in range to attack the kung-fu-crazy boss throwing out ridiculous attacks at them, they can't dodge the insta-kill AOE's, and what's more, anyone drunk that's guarding can't intercept other assassins. Assassins, who, if they're smart, will bypass the guards entirely to gently caress with the main group. On top of all of that, if you somehow manage to get them to completely drunk, their interface fucks up horribly making it so they pretty much can't see anything going on.

And since drunkenness lasts through death, guess how much trouble they'll have getting back to the fight if they die and the fight isn't near the spawn (many in GCC aren't)? I'll give you a hint, and it isn't anything to do with it being easy.

This has the result of making the more savvy people rage the gently caress out as they realize how utterly hosed they are. It also takes multiple party members out of the fight if done skillfully, essentially screwing the team over, but not letting them actually stop the fight. Since they always hope those guys will get back in time.

After you get them sufficiently drunk, you can also set them on fire, too. The sight of a bunch of immolated, drunken, often confused kung fu artists staggering around in a panic is a sight to see.

Even if they somehow win, half their team will be drunk and will not be able to maneuver anyways. So either way, you've basically forced the instance to stall until someone can either sober them up, or they tick down the drunk stacks. Which takes, at most, about half an hour to wind down. And since the instances grade you on the time it took to do them, this can gently caress over their loot at the end, too!

And if nothing else, it's very relaxing (and entertaining) to just say gently caress direct combat, and focus on sharing a drink with people during (the often aggravating) assassin missions. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 1, 2013

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Better still, the person who murdered you gets Villainy or however it's translated. Get enough of it, and they'll be sent to jail when they die.

An acceptable choice is to throw dozens of newbie goons at a dude to die until the high level kung fu master gets sent to the clink for 24 hours

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

I have no idea, I'm going to go with what the other posters said. Until someone tells me I should care for x reason (i.e. losing significant experience/money whatever), I'm not going to care. I don't even fight back because I can't dent their health pool, I just jump around using my leet flying skills to try to get away or make it annoying for them. Then I usually respawn and try to head back to find them so I can keep asking them how to leave a guild.

I'm pretty sure the key for them is it's supposed to be shameful, and since I am bad and a newbie that's all I can try to deny them until I learn how to fight.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
This game sounds like the most unsustainable MMO in the world (or the best, I can't even tell anymore). How are they planning on keeping people playing this game obviously made for horrible trolls.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Ha ha ha holy poo poo, I can't get this game because my productivity would come crashing down. I'd just get drunk and spit wine in people's mouths all day.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rexicon1 posted:

This game sounds like the most unsustainable MMO in the world (or the best, I can't even tell anymore). How are they planning on keeping people playing this game obviously made for horrible trolls.

The thing is, a lot of this stuff is at least theoretically preventable if you understand the game mechanics.

The problem for the pubbies is, they are colossal idiots. They make the worst players from modern day EVE look smart by comparison.

If they thought ahead they could prevent the drunk stacks, albeit with some difficulty. However, the prevention method takes a bag slot up. Bag slots are used to hold prospective loot from the instance, so none of them ever actually want to do that. After all, what are the odds that you'll get that one beggar that knows what they're doing with that set?

So their greed often screws them over in the end whenever I get a call to go fight in an instance. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 1, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Archonex posted:

The thing is, a lot of this stuff is at least theoretically preventable if you understand the game mechanics.

The problem for the pubbies is, they are colossal idiots. They make the worst players from modern day EVE look smart by comparison.

If they thought ahead they could prevent the drunk stacks, albeit with some difficulty. However, the prevention method takes a bag slot up. Bag slots are used to hold prospective loot from the instance however, so none of them ever do. After all, what's the odds that you'll get that one beggar that knows what they're doing?

So their greed often screws them over in the end when I get a call to go fight in an instance. :v:

Heh, this sounds exactly like this comic: http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=69

In all seriousness though, the game is new and in engrish, so your casual player isn't likely to understand all of the mechanics precisely. They are, however, still colossal idiots.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Archonex posted:

If they thought ahead they could prevent the drunk stacks, albeit with some difficulty. However, the prevention method takes a bag slot up. Bag slots are used to hold prospective loot from the instance, so none of them ever actually want to do that. After all, what are the odds that you'll get that one beggar that knows what they're doing with that set?
Where is said method? I've searched everywhere for it, all I hear in chat is "some NPC in town sells it"

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Jackard posted:

Where is said method? I've searched everywhere for it, all I hear in chat is "some NPC in town sells it"

It's an ancient chinese secret, the likes of which cannot be spoke aloud.

Innkeepers sell sobering soup. And some of the consumable crafting classes can make sobering items. Sobering soup apparently has a massive cooldown, so even if they get that they're hosed in the longer fights. This means that there will eventually be a market for sobering medication.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rexicon1 posted:

Because you can be an HONORABURU KUNG-FU FIGHTER.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Archonex posted:

It's an ancient chinese secret, the likes of which cannot be spoke aloud.

Innkeepers sell sobering soup. And some of the consumable crafting classes can make sobering items. Sobering soup apparently has a massive cooldown, so even if they get that they're hosed in the longer fights. This means that there will eventually be a market for sobering medication.
I remember hearing this once, but they have no map icon, and the area labelled "Inn" in Yanjing turned out to be a whorehouse. "Tavern" and "Teahouse" were my next stops, along with the chef, herbalist, and grocer.

Drunkenness is seriously debilitating and I would totally carry this poo poo around if I could only find it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Letting other players ruin a party's boss fight sounds like a terrible design decision. Very funny though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

RatHat posted:

Letting other players ruin a party's boss fight sounds like a terrible design decision. Very funny though.

Thing is, assassins are entirely anonymous. You don't know who you're engaging, and you don't get to choose who you engage (a little popup will randomly appear and ask if you want to be an assassin for a group). It also spices up the encounters because while NPCs will get stale, players will always freshen things up and keep the fights dynamic. I imagine that it's frustrating as hell to get some competent assassins who slaughter your group with impunity though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Yeah but if they balance the rewards around how hard a player invasion can be it can be very well done. I thought the Old Monk gimmick in Demon's Souls was brilliant (it was a boss fight which would summon a player who put a sign in the area as the boss fight in its entirety). Kind of different for an MMO instance but definitely a nice MMO encounter difficulty mechanic as long as it's properly balanced.

Although maybe it should be the kind of a thing the instanced group can choose whether or not to do - mixing PvP and PvE tends to make at least one of those player groups dissatisfied.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I guess I clicked on the Mmo Hmo and then the Age of Wushi thread by mistake?

The grief stories from it are amazing, keep those up, but what the hell is like a page worth of balance talk doing here?

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
E: Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

EVE is the same way, really, except there getting hosed over by another player and dying means hours and hours of grinding to get the money for a fresh ship. At least here it's just immediate frustration with little/no serious and longterm repercussions

• Locked thread