Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just go full Darwinian r-selection and have a few thousand presidents that you transport by circus cannon in the hope that one or two make it.

e: The world's heaviest strawberry weighs 289g and was grown by Ariel Chahi in Israel. This is what took down the helicopter. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Just go full Darwinian r-selection

This is how Telegraph columnists are hired

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the benefits of elected positions is that if the politician dies you can make another one quite easily.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm always surprised that global elites will go anywhere near helicopters. They seem to lust for the blood of billionaires and world leaders. Pretty sure we can chalk this up as an accident.

Edit: Sorry to hear about your bad news, Jaeluni. Fellow Welsh goon hoping for the best.

I've never been in a helicopter but is it not the fastest way to get from A-B in a vehicle if you're traveling more than a mile or something? If so, i wouldn't be surprised if it's purely down to billionaires having to be the fastest and richest vs their peers/plebs rather than living the longest.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were to get honest answers from the existing super-rich, they'd probably say they'd prefer to be known as the richest in the world/best thing in their field than live to 100 enjoying themselves.

Also sorry Jaeluni, cancer is shite. Hope it all goes well.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Delurking to wish you luck Jaeluni, I like your posts and your commitment to spreadsheets :patriot:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are very effective point to point transport but they are also kind of horrendously unsafe compared to planes, and trains. A bit safer than cars.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nenonen posted:

*) Iran, a country of 88 million people, has about as many traffic deaths as all of EU with pop of 450 million

It's even worse than that, they also have fewer cars/bikes on the road per person.

Road safety in some places in the world is pretty wild, red light more of a suggestion etc.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think it’s just not how people work when it comes to risk. No one thinks it’s going to happen to them, on this helicopter journey.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

I've never been in a helicopter but is it not the fastest way to get from A-B in a vehicle if you're traveling more than a mile or something? If so, i wouldn't be surprised if it's purely down to billionaires having to be the fastest and richest vs their peers/plebs rather than living the longest.

Helicopters are genuinely pretty dangerous, certainly in comparison to fixed wing aircraft. If a plane has mechanical issues, at least it's aerodynamic and can often be glided down to the ground even with the engines completely dead. By contrast, a helicopter that breaks down mid-flight basically turns into a rock, and does what rocks suddenly suspended in the air tend to do.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Respect the Jesus Nut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_nut

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

babe call this the jesus nut cuz it ain't gonna raise again for several days

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can actually glide in a helicopter, it's called autorotation. But that doesn't help if the rotor falls off or if you, for example, descend too rapidly straight down, in which case the helicopter basically flies into its own rotor wash and you get a vortex ring state which causes it to drop out of the sky like a rock.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Going back to the original cashless/contactless chat, there are definitely great ways to implement that for people with visual or dexterity needs, tap-on tap-off public transport is much better than loving about with cash, but there are also worse ways like "we replaced all the ticket people with the blurry nightmare screen that responds to touch unpredictably".

And as with the bollards, there's a failure point and that needs a backup. Doesn't need to be a fancy techlord backup, it can be a person with a crank who comes out and checks your blue badge and lowers the bollards in that case, or (as happened to me a few weeks ago) it can be a bus driver who says "looks like it's broke, it's your lucky day, get on."

Years ago there were a series of strikes involving the public transport network. I can't remember the exact details but the Bus services were definitely involved, not sure if trains or Luas were too.

What ended up happening was bus drivers all en mass refused to collect fares.
Still did their job, drove their routes. Just everyone rode for free.

Now, in my mind, this was genius. It does all the harm to management as a withdrawal of service would (the bus company is getting no money.)

The public are in no way inconvenienced (in fact, they benefit), so the bus workers get 100% public support.

And since the Government isn't put under any pressure on this, they have no reason to intervene.

I know it was super effective because as far as I can tell it was never repeated as some legislation or court ruling came in to say that it could never be done again/wasn't a legitimate strike (probably on the basis it wasn't a total withdrawal of service.)

That's how you know you are OP when the whiners ask for your ability to be nerfed.

NoOneCares
Feb 13, 2012
Also breaking my long lurking streak to wish Jaeluni all my good thoughts.

gently caress cancer.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pistol_Pete posted:

Helicopters are genuinely pretty dangerous, certainly in comparison to fixed wing aircraft. If a plane has mechanical issues, at least it's aerodynamic and can often be glided down to the ground even with the engines completely dead. By contrast, a helicopter that breaks down mid-flight basically turns into a rock, and does what rocks suddenly suspended in the air tend to do.

Helicopters can autorotate, but how well that actually works depends so much on circumstances. In the end you will still crash, but maybe your rock will fall down a little more slowly so the landing gear has a chance of dampening enough of the force.

Similarly planes might be able to glide down, but if there's no suitable terrain to land on nearby, or if you don't have enough energy to glide on, you're in big trouble. The worst case scenario is the engine dying right after you take off and there's trees or buildings ahead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or right after you've passed decision speed before the takeoff. Any time between V1 and V2 is a real bad time for an engine failure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

babe call this the jesus nut cuz it ain't gonna raise again for several days

Slap yourself repeatedly in the groin while saying "What's this? It's Jesus having a wank!"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Or right after you've passed decision speed before the takeoff. Any time between V1 and V2 is a real bad time for an engine failure.

Honestly an even worse time to have dual engine failure is shortly after v2, that's where you get those "everyone onboard died and also 3 random bystanders got killed" like with that one concorde flight - if you overshoot the runway some people will likely survive, but not if you are already 300m up in the air with residential buildings all around.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 20, 2024

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

History Comes Inside! posted:

I did a 120 mile round trip on the train today in Japan and it cost me ~£15, no special booking or off-peak bollocks, just turning up at the station and getting on a train that runs every 15 minutes all day including apparently on weekends

What the gently caress are they spending all the money on at home

It always amazes me that Japan manages to have a privatised railway network that, like, runs efficiently, still has customer-facing staff (not all of whom are cats), and actually invests some of their profits back into the infrastructure. I guess we just privatised ours in the worst way possible?

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Nenonen posted:

What really gets me is that Raimi and the foreign minister were in the same chopper. After the Smolensk disaster (which some also accuse Putin of conducting) it should be clear that you never put multiple government top officials in the same aircraft.

Corporate travel policies will often say something like “The CEO and CFO can’t travel in the same aircraft, and neither can more than 2 members of the board” to prevent this exact situation.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Soricidus posted:

has customer-facing staff (not all of whom are cats),

Lots done, more to do

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Soricidus posted:

It always amazes me that Japan manages to have a privatised railway network that, like, runs efficiently, still has customer-facing staff (not all of whom are cats), and actually invests some of their profits back into the infrastructure. I guess we just privatised ours in the worst way possible?

What percentage of them are cats?

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Soricidus posted:

To the best of my knowledge JR never split the operation of the railways from the ownership of the actual trains, which while far from the only thing that messed up the railways here, is by far one of the most monumentally stupid decisions ever made by someone in the UK government and by rights whoever proposed it should get the William Wallace treatment

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dadrips posted:

To the best of my knowledge JR never split the operation of the railways from the ownership of the actual trains, which while far from the only thing that messed up the railways here, is by far one of the most monumentally stupid decisions ever made by someone in the UK government and by rights whoever proposed it should get the William Wallace treatment

They should make a heavily fictionalised movie about his life and turn him into a folk hero for nationalists?

Still, the racist who plays him won't have to act too much and they were always going to age up the 8 year old girl so they could use her as a love interest.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Japan still has a semblance of shame in public politics and business, so running a dogshit operation would be too shameful.

This isn't me claiming inscrutable Asian magic, it's more that our politics is insane in how openly poo poo and corrupt you can be without repercussions.

Russification of our politics, basically. Yes I did just say Not All Asians only to stereotype the federation slavs.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soricidus posted:

London public transport is technically privatised in that the buses are run by, like, Arriva and suchlike but it's so heavily regulated you wouldn't notice. Manchester is trying for the same model I think? but Thatcher and Major were averse to regulation for places that weren't London, so we ended up with what we got.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

feedmegin posted:

London public transport is technically privatised in that the buses are run by, like, Arriva and suchlike but it's so heavily regulated you wouldn't notice. Manchester is trying for the same model I think? but Thatcher and Major were averse to regulation for places that weren't London, so we ended up with what we got.

Tfl is almost a model for how public-private partnership can work.

The bus service in London is publicly owned with the routes and service level defined by TFL but the delivery and operation is done by the private sector who are paid on a management fee model. Another way of describing this is as a single payer model.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if you were to get honest answers from the existing super-rich, they'd probably say they'd prefer to be known as the richest in the world/best thing in their field than live to 100 enjoying themselves.

Also sorry Jaeluni, cancer is shite. Hope it all goes well.

Planes are faster if you're going any real distance, but if you're super rich you can have a helipad in your garden or on your roof so you don't need to go to an airport.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Also chipping in to wish Jaeluni good luck against cancer :)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I think rich people could get around faster if they just fired themselves out of cannons.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
from my understanding most japanese cats are too busy being buses to help out the rail network

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

STOP THE PRESSES
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cekl9vl4dx3o

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angepain posted:

from my understanding most japanese cats are too busy being buses to help out the rail network

"Train out of service but your ticket will be accepted on the nearest catbus." I'd be ok with that

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

:britain:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

The Question IRL posted:

Years ago there were a series of strikes involving the public transport network. I can't remember the exact details but the Bus services were definitely involved, not sure if trains or Luas were too.

What ended up happening was bus drivers all en mass refused to collect fares.
Still did their job, drove their routes. Just everyone rode for free.

Now, in my mind, this was genius. It does all the harm to management as a withdrawal of service would (the bus company is getting no money.)

The public are in no way inconvenienced (in fact, they benefit), so the bus workers get 100% public support.

And since the Government isn't put under any pressure on this, they have no reason to intervene.

I know it was super effective because as far as I can tell it was never repeated as some legislation or court ruling came in to say that it could never be done again/wasn't a legitimate strike (probably on the basis it wasn't a total withdrawal of service.)

That's how you know you are OP when the whiners ask for your ability to be nerfed.

this is deeply illegal in the UK and any union that tried it would be closed down and fined for loss of profits/revenue - it's always brought up but you cannot do this under current trade union legislation

Soricidus posted:

JR played an incredible trick when they built their high-speed network - they made it so that high speed Shinkansen operates on a totally different gauge to the rest of the conventional network so there can be no interface AT ALL between the two systems (contrast HS2 which would have jumped back onto the normal WCML north of Crewe)

JR is an interesting case in privatisation because it harks back to how the original railway companies made their money aka in property development. JR provides a service which uplifts property values of stuff like shopping centres and housing which is then either trades or makes rental income from - it's basically a landlord who increases their value by providing the service rather than deriving most from the service it provides. The railway is a means to an end.

The government in Japan also still subsidises unprofitable bits of the rail network to a massive degree, where as since 2010 we've seen the balance between farepayer and taxpayer in the UK shift distinctly towards the former - this is why tickets are so expensive in the UK comparatively to the rest of Europe particularly but naturally can't increase fuel duty due to the WAR ON CARS.

JR also comes to the UK for a lot of expertise and experience with regards to managing their ageing infrastructure, particularly on it's narrow gauge classic network. There is one thing the UK does extremely well two actually, but we'll ignore safety and risk management as it's pretty much a function of the other and that's sweat the gently caress out of old assets with minimal investment to keep them ticking over and even pushing them well beyond designed limits to maximise capacity and cost:benefit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol was just about to post that

More on our mounting plastics problem as twee interest stories

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

lol was just about to post that

More on our mounting plastics problem as twee interest stories

It's fine they'll break down until you can't see them *dusts hands* problem solved

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

dadrips posted:

This is a big part of it. Also Tesseraction's point about certain undeniable cultural aspects of how Japan does business and politics in contrast to the UK.

The other big one is that due to physical, human and economic geography rail transport in Japan is fundamentally profitable. The three companies that move 60% of the traffic receive no subsidy at all and the subsidies delivered to the remainder are more often for construction of new lines into hinterland areas rather than covering basic operating costs. Sort of like if the UK network consisted only of the London Overground, the SE commuter belt and the ECML.

Rail transport is a hugely capital-intensive business - railways cost a huge amount to build and have massive maintenance and renewal costs for their infrastructure, systems and rolling stock. They can be very efficient to operate day-to-day but have to generate enough revenue to squirrel away (or borrow against) to fund long-term costs.

British railways have not really been profitable on that basis since the Great Depression - arguably longer as you can see the rate of profit collapsing once the network reached maturity (over-saturation thanks to Victorian laissez-faire, more like). Even before WW2 one of the Big Four was tettering on the edge of bankruptcy and another was going in the same direction. Nationalisation wasn't just an Attlee ideological move - the railways were broken and did not have any means of rebuilding themselves, and the repair bill was more than their book value so even a government loan would have been an effective buy-out.

But Japanese rail transport is self-sustainingly profitable and corporately self-contained, so each company is entirely responsible for its ongoing existence, which is secures by the tired old notion of "providing a service that people are willing to pay for at a price that covers all associated costs." They also make a lot of money from property and land holdings, just as the 19th century British rail companies did - buy land cheap when it's a field, build a railway through it, sell it for development (or keep the land and charge rent).

There is (essentially) no subsidy and no cross-feeding of remunerative services to support non-remunerative ones. Where operating subsidy exists it serves to keep services running and ticket prices down, rather than profits up. So there is no public-funded trough at which private capital can feed while making a half-arsed effort at providing a service before bailing and handing the franchise back to the government.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 20, 2024

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Yes but Andrew Neil said they didn't use plastic in the old days so this can't be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Bozza posted:

this is deeply illegal in the UK and any union that tried it would be closed down and fined for loss of profits/revenue - it's always brought up but you cannot do this under current trade union legislation

I believe it was Thatcher who made this illegal but need to double check.