Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Mordja posted:

Turns out there's been a Timesplitters fangame on Steam for over a year, anyone give it a go?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1533470/TimeShifters/

Since it's only $5, I downloaded it and just finished playing through the first level. It's extremely faithful to the Timesplitters 1 and 2 formula, and was pretty fun. I'll have to see how it holds up beyond what I've done, but I think I'll at least get my money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well I beat AE on Evil difficulty and I just gotta say, I was playing the last boss entirely wrong. Seriously hopping all over the place just makes it harder. Working too drat hard. You can camp right on the blue mana font and just blast him from there to build up soul power and it works... oh my god it just works great. I had a harder time dealing with the previous level which is funny because I thought he was an absolute bear the first few times I beat him. Entirely changed how I'm gonna face him going forward, which will likely be a while because drat I am tired of everything in my library.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So I've had a chance to go through the rest of Timeshifters. Its only aspiration is to be a cheap and shameless ripoff of Timesplitters 1 and 2, and succeeds admirably at its goal. The story missions themselves feel a lot shorter and smaller than they do in actual Timesplitters, but the gameplay is extended by higher difficulties and a bunch of challenge modes where you try for platinum trophies. It's worth five bucks if you have a lot of nostalgia for the original games, but someone who's never played them will probably not get much out of it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ponzicar posted:

So I've had a chance to go through the rest of Timeshifters. Its only aspiration is to be a cheap and shameless ripoff of Timesplitters 1 and 2, and succeeds admirably at its goal. The story missions themselves feel a lot shorter and smaller than they do in actual Timesplitters, but the gameplay is extended by higher difficulties and a bunch of challenge modes where you try for platinum trophies. It's worth five bucks if you have a lot of nostalgia for the original games, but someone who's never played them will probably not get much out of it.

Thanks, I didn't know about this before it was posted here but it looks fun. I've been replaying 2 and Future Perfect on the Xbox recently and I find them very relaxing, particularly in Arcade mode. Is there splitscreen as well? Also how's the music?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Convex posted:

Thanks, I didn't know about this before it was posted here but it looks fun. I've been replaying 2 and Future Perfect on the Xbox recently and I find them very relaxing, particularly in Arcade mode. Is there splitscreen as well? Also how's the music?

The only multiplayer is online pvp, as far as I can tell. Music is decent to good. It also has a mapmaker!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I have the Hexen 2 mission pack box around here somewhere - I brought it, for uh, reasons

(listen I was 15 years old ok)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1679865246343733250?s=20

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I always kinda wonder about posts like this. Like, he has to know that the overwhelming response will be, "YES" right?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It's the indie dev version of a teaser trailer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm voting no so he'll put some spite energy into releasing it anyway

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The DA2 shot it worse, somehow, like it's not even being honest with its cheesecake, and there's less going on in a more busy picture.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Manhunt crossed with Condemned made by the developer of DUSK... hmm

:bisonyes:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

I always kinda wonder about posts like this. Like, he has to know that the overwhelming response will be, "YES" right?
He's explained further in replies, it sounds like there's a ton of jank (particularly from biting off way more than he can chew and cutting things down) and it's currently unsellably buggy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

it's currently unsellably buggy.

expecting it on steam early access any minute in that case

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well I beat AE on Evil difficulty and I just gotta say, I was playing the last boss entirely wrong. Seriously hopping all over the place just makes it harder. Working too drat hard. You can camp right on the blue mana font and just blast him from there to build up soul power and it works... oh my god it just works great. I had a harder time dealing with the previous level which is funny because I thought he was an absolute bear the first few times I beat him. Entirely changed how I'm gonna face him going forward, which will likely be a while because drat I am tired of everything in my library.

Yeap! The arena is set up like you want to dodge his attacks by jumping between the platforms, but doing that while attacking is all but impossible and the penalty for falling from a platform is way worse than just eating a hit.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Serephina posted:

The DA2 shot it worse, somehow, like it's not even being honest with its cheesecake, and there's less going on in a more busy picture.

It's an isometric game! That's the worst angle for viewing butts!

Video game marketers had some weird hang ups in the 90s and early 2000s.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah it's tits out like diablo 2 did

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

haveblue posted:

The only thing better than a switch hunt is a switch hunt where half the switches aren't on the map
You know, Hexen's hub-style maps were pretty novel at the time. But in restrospect, aren't they functionally the same thing as limit-removing maps except more annoying?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

It's like those old threads where it's like "if I get enough interest I'll tell you which famous celebrity I sucked off at my seedy hotel"

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeap! The arena is set up like you want to dodge his attacks by jumping between the platforms, but doing that while attacking is all but impossible and the penalty for falling from a platform is way worse than just eating a hit.

Well you can easily use the staff to land hits and build up soul power while running laps and getting mana but there's really no point; the water staff (soul powered version) is very strong by itself and I had 20 purple mana to spam at him to build my soul power. It's very funny and I both love that I found it and think it ruins the fight lmao

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 14, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Halo Digsite crew have given an update on all the fun toys they've been working on, including the Halo 2 E3 Demo and "M1" closed-door demos, Guardian Sentinels, early Promethian Knights, Halo Wars cinematic assets, and best of all: Crash Site, a new Halo 1 campaign mission showcasing a lot of the prototype stuff they've dug up for that game, so full of Macworld-era antics that 343 had to raise the engine limits.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

The Halo Digsite crew have given an update on all the fun toys they've been working on, including the Halo 2 E3 Demo and "M1" closed-door demos, Guardian Sentinels, early Promethian Knights, Halo Wars cinematic assets, and best of all: Crash Site, a new Halo 1 campaign mission showcasing a lot of the prototype stuff they've dug up for that game, so full of Macworld-era antics that 343 had to raise the engine limits.

does it have the SMG that has a muzzle flash twice as big as the weapon itself and also completely engulfs the weapon? :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Can you play the olde doome levels from doom 2016 the real way ie with the original weapons and movement? I don't have a copy of doom 1 on steam and it being there might be the biggest incentive for me to keep the game. I want to like it, it looks good and sounds good and it plays great but I'm still just feeling kinda underwhelmed. The levels are so samey early on and I'm just running around in circles around industrial arenas that are extremely orange or red. It was just five bucks so I'm not gonna be out a lot if I keep it and it might be nice to have as a rainy day game but I think civvie said it was really long and I'm just on the fence about it. Does it click at some point or at least have a way to increase movement speed

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can you play the olde doome levels from doom 2016 the real way ie with the original weapons and movement? I don't have a copy of doom 1 on steam and it being there might be the biggest incentive for me to keep the game. I want to like it, it looks good and sounds good and it plays great but I'm still just feeling kinda underwhelmed. The levels are so samey early on and I'm just running around in circles around industrial arenas that are extremely orange or red. It was just five bucks so I'm not gonna be out a lot if I keep it and it might be nice to have as a rainy day game but I think civvie said it was really long and I'm just on the fence about it. Does it click at some point or at least have a way to increase movement speed

Not sure what the first part of your post is talking about, but the Hell levels of Doom 2016 are where it gets really good. I do wish there were more of them though. It is definitely more about vibes, so I can't promise you'll start loving it. But at least go to Hell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are mods that import the weapons and enemies into Doom 2 and have custom map sets so yes, you can play Doom 4 classic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You need to start unlocking runes, which means you must not be far along yet. The game is maybe 6 hours long

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh maybe it was Eternal where he said it was like 15 hours

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eternal was 9 and change for me first playthrough. It just feels longer cause its physically draining to play.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's definitely longer than six hours. Depending on how thorough you are, each level will take 45 - 60 minutes and there's 13 of them.

I love Doom 2016 / Eternal. It's single player so play it how you want of course, but I think they really shine at the higher difficulties. Get used to glory killing lots and being super aggressive - GKs heal you, so it's intended that you get hurt on the way to achieving them.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
It's definitely not a very long game. It is a bit slow to start though. I did a replay somewhat recently and found myself annoyed at trying to figure out how to unlock some of the early doors. The flow gets better pretty quickly iirc.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Jesus Christ somehow I have almost 100 hours in Doom Eternal + DLC singleplayer. I guess that was from achievement hunting.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
reading all this makes me think i should give Doom Eternal another shot tbh

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I only played through Doom Eternal once when it came out (besides playing through the DLCs when they were released) and definitely remember thinking that it was pretty long.

Great game, but it was almost...exhausting? Like I breathed a sigh of relief when it was over. Playing on Ultraviolence probably had something to do with it.

I replayed DOOM 2016 four times up until the release of Eternal (three times on PS4 going from HMP>UV>Nightmare, once on PC on UV) so take that for what you will.

The indie boomer shooter explosion also hadn't happened yet when DOOM 2016 released, so it was one of the only ways I could get my "fix" so to speak. These days...there's a new boomer shooter every 3 months it seems.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I only played through Doom Eternal once when it came out (besides playing through the DLCs when they were released) and definitely remember thinking that it was pretty long.

Great game, but it was almost...exhausting? Like I breathed a sigh of relief when it was over. Playing on Ultraviolence probably had something to do with it.

I've always described it as that--"exhausting". On Nightmare, it felt like...an intense game of air hockey. Just so fast and frenetic and draining.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Exactly, it’s throwing different things at you at a tremendous rate and you have to identify, equip, and use the best counter very fast before something else pops up and you need to do it again. You are always being pressured and it’s intentionally very hard to create space to plan or manipulate the enemies in any meaningful way

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The DLC hammer that they added which lets you create true combos with hitstun was incredibly good, but it reinforces this is not a Boomer Shooter and if you wanted a boomer shooter or a call of duty you came to the wrong fuckin part of FPS town pal.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've always described it as that--"exhausting". On Nightmare, it felt like...an intense game of air hockey. Just so fast and frenetic and draining.

It's one of the reasons it became one of my favourites. They made a crazy videogame, with classic videogame stage hazards, and it's so drat intense all the time. I pretty much needed coffee while I played, and it's the only singleplayer game to ever make me rebind my weapon controls to be more like an arena shooter since they all had a use for something.
Shame the last DLC boss kinda sucked

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The final boss of doom eternal being a dude from Boston was pretty weird

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd like to see the doomslayer doing a glory kill on Mark Wahlberg.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The final boss of doom eternal being a dude from Boston was pretty weird

Sam Adams product placement has gone too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I've noticed that a lot of big Eternal fans tend to be fans of like, Devil May Cry, and honestly, I think Eternal would have been better suited as a new IP and marketed as the kind of game it is, a first person spectacle fighter. Doom 3 is the same way, people wanted Doom and got a survival horror. Both are not at all what I'm looking for out of a Doom game, but there's an audience for them, and they can be more enjoyable when you don't feel like you've been bait and switched.