Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

Turns out that crazy-rear end nationalists generally aren't very happy with their country being a de facto protectorate. Or the entire thing could just be satirical, what do I know.

As I understand it, there's two strains of nationalism in Taiwan: Chinese and Taiwanese. There are lots of people who are gung-ho about being part of China, and others who demand total independence for Taiwan. When in Taiwan as a Westerner, it's best not to comment either way, as you will probably gauge their leaning wrong and definitely get yelled at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Ardennes posted:

Oh god sorry, Sears tower.

So whats a good way to tell, use of concrete versus glass and steel?

If it's made out of concrete and looks like a soviet apartment building, it's probably brutalist.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

tractor fanatic posted:

If it's made out of concrete and looks like a soviet apartment building, it's probably brutalist.

You're right having a tower of doom in the international style doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

He realized, however, that dividing Europe into rectangular states would clash with the ‘tribal’ makeup of the continent’s culturally diverse peoples. He proposed the following borders:

Is the Vendée a separate country there?

A couple of similar maps.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Kainser posted:

I'm sure you think it's bizarre that Norway claims 1/6th of Antarctica as well :norway:

e; a map of Antarctica have probably already been posted, but just in case:

lol of course Argentina is loving with Britain

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dr. Tough posted:

lol of course Argentina is loving with Britain

I like how they claim like 95% of what Britain claims, but leaves them that small slice. Like, in an Argentine world; Argentina gets their slice, and Britain gets a tiny slice to the left and right of it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Is the Vendée a separate country there?

I think it's part of Brittany, the black line is the Loire.

Do you have those other maps in a bigger size?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kassad posted:

I think it's part of Brittany, the black line is the Loire.

Do you have those other maps in a bigger size?

I assume he thought it should be added to Brittany because they were counter-revolutionary buddies once upon a time but it really wouldn't make any sense for them to be part of an independant Brittany.

I asked the guy who makes those maps if there were larger versions available but he told me he doesn't want to release bigger ones because he sells them as posters and doesn't want people to just print them or something.

And for a somewhat dumber map, France is working on a new round of decentralization and this is a map being tossed around by Breton and Alsatian nationalists. Green are autonomous regions, orange regions with more or less the same powers as now and blue as seperate metropolitan areas, sort of like the combined city/county things in some US states. Of course, France won't give some regions more autonomy than others (Alsace's historical weirdness notwithstanding) and it's weird that the departments in the old Pays de la Loire (after Loire Atlantique goes back to Brittany) just become regions rather than being reorganized with a new or different region.

A map of French licence plate pictures by region. A couple of things were mildly controversial, the Bretons and Corsicans basically have their flags on it and Brittany having their name in Breton.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Soviet Commubot posted:

A couple of things were mildly controversial, the Bretons and Corsicans basically have their flags on it and Brittany having their name in Breton.

Why is it controversial to have regional flags on the license plates instead of those other really bad, designed-with-Adobe-Illustrator corporate-looking logos?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
^^^^ Separatism (or a hint of it) is a big no-no in France. Also the National Liberation Front of Corsica is a pretty violent group that uses the same flag as the region of Corsica.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I asked the guy who makes those maps if there were larger versions available but he told me he doesn't want to release bigger ones because he sells them as posters and doesn't want people to just print them or something.

Fair enough.

Soviet Commubot posted:

And for a somewhat dumber map, France is working on a new round of decentralization and this is a map being tossed around by Breton and Alsatian nationalists. Green are autonomous regions, orange regions with more or less the same powers as now and blue as seperate metropolitan areas, sort of like the combined city/county things in some US states. Of course, France won't give some regions more autonomy than others (Alsace's historical weirdness notwithstanding) and it's weird that the departments in the old Pays de la Loire (after Loire Atlantique goes back to Brittany) just become regions rather than being reorganized with a new or different region.

I don't see why they'd break up Centre and Poitou-Charentes as well. "Touraine" and "Anjou" are just individual departments, why do that instead of creating a new Val de Loire (or whatever) region?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Drone posted:

Why is it controversial to have regional flags on the license plates instead of those other really bad, designed-with-Adobe-Illustrator corporate-looking logos?

Many people in France, both left and right wing, see any official recognition of minority cultures in France as the first step on the road to the destruction of France.

Here's a map of regional languages spoken in France. In the colored areas only a minority speaks the regional language and all of those people are bilingual French speakers with maybe a tiny handful of old people as exceptions. These languages have no official recognition or status because doing so would be "dangerous to the unity of the Republic".

Kassad posted:

I don't see why they'd break up Centre and Poitou-Charentes as well. "Touraine" and "Anjou" are just individual departments, why do that instead of creating a new Val de Loire (or whatever) region?

To be honest the people who made were more interested in reuniting Brittany and picking the cool kids club of autonomous regions. Here's a more workable idea of reorganized regions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GreenCard78 posted:

I remember this on the stands :cool:

Just in case anyone doesn't know what it's referring to:

"View of the World from 9th Avenue"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soviet Commubot posted:

Many people in France, both left and right wing, see any official recognition of minority cultures in France as the first step on the road to the destruction of France.

And suddenly a lot of stuff about Europe begins to make sense.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

computer parts posted:

And suddenly a lot of stuff about Europe begins to make sense.

Remember, this is the country that has a linguistic purity bureau of which Southern conservatives and anti-immigrant folks in the USA could only dream:

"Wikipedia" posted:

A recent controversy involved the officialization of feminine equivalents for the names of several professions. For instance, in 1997, Lionel Jospin's government began using the feminine noun "la ministre" to refer to a female minister, following the official practice of Canada, Belgium and Switzerland and a common, though until then unofficial, practice in France. The Académie, however, insisted on the traditional use of the masculine noun, "le ministre," for a minister of either gender. Use of either form remains controversial.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The Académie has no legal power whatsoever, so beyond the fact that there are staunch proponents of prescriptive linguistics among the ranks of the Académie, your post comes across as the clichéd diatribe about them frogs. :frog:
On the other hand, there are organizations like that in other countries that do have some legal attributions, and that is a bit scary.
(This one's just an example.)

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

Remember, this is the country that has a linguistic purity bureau of which Southern conservatives and anti-immigrant folks in the USA

How is the Academie Francaise anti-immigration?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Guessing because the linguistic overlap between Southern conservatives and anti-immigrants revolves around 'that ebonics' and 'I heard a spanish word in regular conversation today dilutin are language'. Does the Academie have an official stand on pressing 1 for French?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I believe the official stance in France is "if you don't speak French, gently caress off." You can confirm that by looking at any Parisian ticket machine.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's pretty much it. There's no equivalent to the "Press 1 for English" talking point because the French state has done an extra good job of eliminating the regional languages and those of the immigrant communities (at least from the public sphere) in the past. That has nothing to do with the Académie Française though, it was primarily achieved by using the school system ("speak French or get punished").

That doesn't mean you'll get jumped in the street for speaking a foreign language, mind you. We're not Arizona.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Kassad posted:

That's pretty much it. There's no equivalent to the "Press 1 for English" talking point because the French state has done an extra good job of eliminating the regional languages and those of the immigrant communities (at least from the public sphere) in the past. That has nothing to do with the Académie Française though, it was primarily achieved by using the school system ("speak French or get punished").

That doesn't mean you'll get jumped in the street for speaking a foreign language, mind you. We're not Arizona.

Cool except that doesn't happen in Arizona either. Except they're actually a step ahead of France because they have bilingual education, signs, and services.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Dr. Tough posted:

Cool except that doesn't happen in Arizona either. Except they're actually a step ahead of France because they have bilingual education, signs, and services.

You're saying that as if there were no bilingual education at all in France, but, while limited, it seems to be there.

Content (kinda):

This is a picture of the Lithuania-Kaliningrad border on the Curonian spit. Considering how tight the control is in general when it comes to European-Russian borders, this picture is just funny. Some more pictures can be found here

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

I have no idea if they are or not, but the anti-Spanish advocates in the southern USA would love a similar organization. I'm sure you can see how a linguistic purity board could be used to such ends.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Tough posted:

The predominant French belief is that if you make French + any other language "equal," French will lose, and that French must be treated as the authority if it's to survive. Discussing this is a huge :can: though.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

univbee posted:

The predominant French belief is that if you make French + any other language "equal," French will lose, and that French must be treated as the authority if it's to survive. Discussing this is a huge :can: though.

Fair enough.

Have Greater Finland:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TheBalor posted:

As I understand it, there's two strains of nationalism in Taiwan: Chinese and Taiwanese. There are lots of people who are gung-ho about being part of China, and others who demand total independence for Taiwan. When in Taiwan as a Westerner, it's best not to comment either way, as you will probably gauge their leaning wrong and definitely get yelled at.

I've never met anyone gung-ho about being part of China Hong Kong/ Macau style or otherwise.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Modest Mao posted:

I've never met anyone gung-ho about being part of China Hong Kong/ Macau style or otherwise.

I think he means the government currently in Taiwan taking over China, rather than the other way around. Taiwan is officially known as the Republic of China, and they used to rule the mainland before the Communists beat them in the Chinese Civil War. The two sides never formally ended hostilities, and the Republic of China claims all of mainland China and does not recognize the People's Republic of China as a legitimate government.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Modest Mao posted:

There aren't many of them, but they're out there. One of them has even managed to become president of Taiwan. I think most surveys recently have shown that less than 10% of Taiwanese people identify solely as "Chinese" but they do exist. Keep in mind, some of the old guys who came from the mainland with Chiang Kai-shek are still alive. Also people in Taiwan controlled areas like Quemoy and Mazu often do not think of themselves as Taiwanese since they aren't from the island of Taiwan, and their areas have a pretty different history having never been part of the Japanese empire unlike the main island of Taiwan.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
One of my Chinese language professors went over to Taiwan with Chiang et al as a child, before moving to the USA as a young adult to get his PhD. He definitely had some... interesting ideas about what's China and what isn't. I don't remember all the details from the time he decided to give us a "history" lesson though.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Modest Mao posted:

I have, as have friends of mine. One charmingly ambiguous encounter was a middle aged man in the McDonald's by Taida yelling "China has been ignored too long!" at me. The best response in those situations, I find, is "Ich kann nicht spreche Englisch."

I actually had a mainlander for a roommate who had a penchant for getting caught up in those situations. Taxi drivers in particular were belligerent towards him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He definitely had some... interesting ideas about what's China and what isn't. I don't remember all the details from the time he decided to give us a "history" lesson though.
All of China, all of Mongolia, and then some, at least according to some claims.

That must be some kind of record for claimed:controlled territory ratio.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Tough posted:

Fair enough.

Have Greater Finland:

That reminds of Marine Le Pen saying we should ask the Walloons if they want to become a French region during the Belgium political crisis.

quote:

Not that the party leader, Marine Le Pen, is suggesting all French-speaking Walloons come to France en masse; simply that Paris might consider taking on half of Belgium.

In a provocative statement issued on Belgium's national day, Le Pen said if Belgium could not remain united, Paris should "extend a hand" to the francophones and suggest they be allowed to decide whether to become a region of France.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/21/belgium-walloons-french-front-national

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
As long as they are asking instead of just sending troops, nothing wrong there.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Guavanaut posted:

All of China, all of Mongolia, and then some, at least according to some claims.

I hear that's part of a weird diplomatic dance that Taiwan's doing with the PRC. Basically by claiming the rest of China, Taiwan is essentially acknowledging that it's a breakaway province, so still part of China. But if Taiwan gave up on all these claims it'd mean that they're a separate nation which would violate the integrity of China. We all know how the PRC feels about that.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Well if we're talking about a ratio, there are plenty of people who claim nonzero and control zero.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guavanaut posted:

That map, while complex, is basically Qing China in 1911. So you can excise all the bullshit and erase all the boundary changes if you think of events in this fashion

1. The Qing are overthrown by the great revolution of 1911
2. Sun Yat-Sen's successor, Chiang Kai-Shek, is driven off the mainland by godless Communist bandits
3. The legitimate government of China waits in the wings off the mainland on a small and insignificant island that may make a good base for reconquest

Yes, there have been a lot of boundary changes since 1911, but none of them have ever been acknowledged by the legitimate and real government of the great Republic of China.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Kassad posted:

I hear that's part of a weird diplomatic dance that Taiwan's doing with the PRC. Basically by claiming the rest of China, Taiwan is essentially acknowledging that it's a breakaway province, so still part of China. But if Taiwan gave up on all these claims it'd mean that they're a separate nation which would violate the integrity of China. We all know how the PRC feels about that.

There's a lot of really bitter politics muddying the whole thing, but basically while the PRC isn't exactly thrilled about the ROC in Taiwan claiming to be the legitimate Chinese government, they absolutely despise the idea of Taiwan, or anybody else for that matter, claiming the island to be an independent state. Though the entire Republic of China's existence from 1912 to present has them claiming legal control over significantly larger territory than they had any real practical control over.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dr. Tough posted:

Fair enough.

Have Greater Finland:

Looks okay to me. Kola and Karelia being part of Russia instead of Finland has always bugged my map sperginess.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

The Most Dangerous Countries for Tourists:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Are their roving gangs of Anti-Canadian Japanese people or is there some super dangerous part of Japan I'm blanking on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Barudak posted:

Are their roving gangs of Anti-Canadian Japanese people or is there some super dangerous part of Japan I'm blanking on?

I think the area to avoid is Fukushima.