Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The normal 3ds is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Supercar Gautier posted:

To do that, they would either have to sell two sizes of faceplates in regions where both models are available, or they'd have to create a different XL design just for the US.

TBF the 2DS is US only isn't it? So it's not as though making something just for the US is some crazy out-there idea, even if it would be a stupid idea.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The 2DS is US, EU, AU and KR

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hosed up putting the top screen protector, god damit. I wish I had practiced with the screws more.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Lemming posted:

I hosed up putting the top screen protector, god damit. I wish I had practiced with the screws more.

Easy to fix. If you got dust or something on it or the screen just use plain old scotch tape to get it off

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

The normal 3ds is fine

I couldn't take screenshots of Monster Hunter on my normal 3ds but I can on my new one so it is far superior.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Policenaut posted:

Oh yeah, there we go. Not getting the regular sized model is starting to hurt now. Oh well, at least I got my Monster Hunter bundle!

Better than your hands hurting from the cramps of using the tiny regular!

Also, new thread title:

New Nintendo 3DS: Get Latex gloves, learn to screw, free jerky with purchase.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My Majora's Mask guide came with a code for a digital version of the guide, so if that's your thing, here you go:

j784-4v5a-t47w-xat4

Apparently enter it at primagames.com/code to claim it.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
easier fix for n3ds nub traction: use a tiny piece of paper inbetween your thumb and nub. i have yet to try this with a tiny piece of a post-it to see if that would be a more permanent solution.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

wash your greasy hands freaks

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

The deals on the ClubNintendoTrade subreddit are real. I picked up Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D for $20 and then paid another $9 for Starfox 64 3D.

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 19, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

IRSmurf posted:

The deals on the ClubNintendoTrade subreddit are real. I picked up Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D for $20 and then paid another $9 for Starfox 64 3D.

They're all from an exploit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If any ausgoons want Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for cheap, Big W's dumping their copies at $10 apiece.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If any ausgoons want Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for cheap, Big W's dumping their copies at $10 apiece.

This is legit a good game. It looks like some budget thing but it's really well made and if you enjoy X-Com or games like it I totally suggest it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My Majora's Mask guide came with a code for a digital version of the guide, so if that's your thing, here you go:

j784-4v5a-t47w-xat4

Apparently enter it at primagames.com/code to claim it.

I'm legitimately pissed that I missed this.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

mateo360 posted:

I tried getting an XL screen protector for my N3DS but I have since learned that the top screen protector screws up the 3d effects and creates ghosting. The bottom screen one was just too small with a significant part of the edges exposed. I ended up taking them off.

jivjov posted:

Sounds like you got some cheap protectors or put them on improperly. I have hori ones on mine and there's not a hint of issue with the 3D or the bottom screen.

My top screen has no ghosting from it, but the one on the bottom screen isn't the same size as the full screen. But it's not a giant amount... Mine basically goes to the top edge but has about 1mm of space between the screen protector and the bottom of the screen at most. I don't really feel it's too significant, but it's not non-existent. That being said, I've found I either have a tiny spec of dust or maybe a slight rise in part of the top screen where an air bubble was. It's not really noticeable unless there's a bright color moving in that spot... I can't seem to press it out. If it doesn't somehow go away on it's own (I remember I had a spot like it on my regular 3DS, and I can't tell you where that was now) I might remove it if I keep noticing it. Especially since physically having the system and looking at it when closed confirms for me that nothing touches the top screen. Goons said there was no issue and so did Google... but after damaging just the protector on my OG 3DS I just felt too nervous about loving up my nice new MH4U system.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Are screen protectors the next first world problem in this thread?

Hori protectors like $5 and reusable to some extent. A couple of tips:

Use the bathroom after a hot shower. This helps keep dust at bay while you put it on.

Use scotch tape to remove dust and other poo poo that might be on your screen before applying.

If you mess it up, lift it with scotch tape and use a new piece of tape to "clean" the affected areas. Don't be a cheap rear end with scotch tape.

The bottom protector is always going to be slightly smaller than the actual touchscreen. Otherwise it's going to be a pain in the rear end to remove. Also, who to hell uses the very edges of the touchscreen anyway.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh and Scotch Tape makes a bad screen protector. Its a shame they AR cards are still sketchy when it comes to detecting them. The streetpass stuff seems faster on the n3ds.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

IRSmurf posted:

It takes all of 5 minutes to generate the codes for those games using the exploit so I'm not sure why anyone would pay some dumbass redditor for them.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm always on the lookout for cheap games, so thanks! I picked up Super Monkey Ball 3D and Pac Man & Galaga Dimensions for $10 apiece at JB HiFi ages ago. I also picked up RE: Mercinaries 3D for $4 at EB Games a few weeks ago. Games maybe not worth full (inflated Australian) retail price, but definitely worth playing at that price.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Jadaris posted:

It takes all of 5 minutes to generate the codes for those games using the exploit so I'm not sure why anyone would pay some dumbass redditor for them.

Boy, I bet IRSmurf would have liked to know about that before paying money

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jadaris posted:

People are stealing codes from club Nintendo? God drat it, I better spend the rest of my coins before Nintendo has to shut the whole thing down.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

greatn posted:

People are stealing codes from club Nintendo? God drat it, I better spend the rest of my coins before Nintendo has to shut the whole thing down.

I thought they were banning accounts that were clearly exploiting the codes?

Edit: and in any case, I wish they'd announce the platinum rewards so that I know which game to buy with my coins

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

Fryhtaning posted:

I thought they were banning accounts that were clearly exploiting the codes?

You can just run the exploit on a throwaway account, then redeem and sell the codes to legit accounts. That's what that entire subreddit is.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Jadaris posted:

You can just run the exploit on a throwaway account, then redeem and sell the codes to legit accounts. That's what that entire subreddit is.

Fuckers better not ruin it for the rest of us. I turned my house upside down searching for codes, and even bought a few games I had been holding off on to barely get up to 705 coins.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I still need to contact support and see if they'll reactivate my 700 coins worth of expired surveys, anyone have any luck with that? Looking at reddit it just seems like it depends on what rep you talk to, some were like "sorry, can't help you" and others reactivated them no-questions-asked

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo will remove those games from people's accounts for sure. I had one removed from my 3DS once that I bought a code for because they told me the seller illegally generated the code.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
So my brother was wanting to trade in this 2DS to get a The New 3DS, and he'll let me use the old 3DS, but in the process of getting patches I made the critical mistake of linking the 2DS to my Nintendo account. I ain't got poo poo on the 2DS but free downloads and it's going to be traded in so I was wanting to format the system's memory. Can I do that, then link my Nintendo account to the 3ds once its stuff's been transferred to the The New 3DS and is then an empty lifeless husk?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

Things every 3DS owner should know:

HORI accessories. Always.
Just follow the prompts with system transferring. Have a question? gently caress you, follow the prompts.
Turn off auto-brightness if your screen is too dark.
The new 3DS speakers are louder.
Yes, you want the new 3DS.
Practice screwing.
Suck a dick you dumb human being.

Added to op, bless

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Anyone else having problems with Super Stable 3D? If I do the 3D screen test and move my face, it keeps flashing an error like 'Super Stable 3D is malfunctioning" and I see double images. It doesn't seem to work as well as the instore display models do, I have to hold it in a very specific position for the 3D effect to work without double-imaging. I tried the calibration but even during the calibration it keeps flashing the error and the adjust slider grays out.

I don't know if this is a software error that may be corrected by an update later, or if I got defective hardware and should consider sending it in, or if the SS3D just doesn't work as well as it does in a brightly-lit store.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Meta Ridley posted:

Anyone else having problems with Super Stable 3D? If I do the 3D screen test and move my face, it keeps flashing an error like 'Super Stable 3D is malfunctioning" and I see double images. It doesn't seem to work as well as the instore display models do, I have to hold it in a very specific position for the 3D effect to work without double-imaging. I tried the calibration but even during the calibration it keeps flashing the error and the adjust slider grays out.

I don't know if this is a software error that may be corrected by an update later, or if I got defective hardware and should consider sending it in, or if the SS3D just doesn't work as well as it does in a brightly-lit store.
Do you wear glasses?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you wear glasses, that's it. Certain designs of glasses can cause it to lose track of your eyes.

If you don't wear glasses, please verify that you have eyes and a mouth, if you do, there may be something wrong with your 3ds.

Lighting doesn't matter, as its viewing you in infrared light, which is how it can track you in the dark.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Meta Ridley posted:

Do you wear glasses? Some people have been saying that messes with it. I wear them but had no trouble so :confused:

E:beaten

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Meta Ridley posted:

Can you post a picture of your face so we can confirm if you're just too weird looking for the stable 3D to work properly?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Welp no matter where I look it seems my only options are the roundabout ones. Great. :shepface:

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I finally decided upon my final Club Nintendo reward: DKC Returns.

Never played it on the Wii, so I'm looking forward to it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wait why would you need a screen protector on the top screen? The lid doesn't press the screen against anything, does it? Is the 3d that immersive that you lose yourself and try to grab Mario or something?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

Wait why would you need a screen protector on the top screen? The lid doesn't press the screen against anything, does it? Is the 3d that immersive that you lose yourself and try to grab Mario or something?

The objects float out of the screen in Majora's Mask, and I thought I could take them for myself :sigh:.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Tender Bender posted:

It presses against the raised edges of the bottom screen when closed which can leave marks on the top screen which happened to my first 3DS. Although looking at the N3DS the edges around the bottom screen are more rounded and there are plastic nubs on the top half to keep the screens from pressing together so directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Louisgod posted:

Can you post a picture of your face so we can confirm if you're just too weird looking for the stable 3D to work properly?

You two-eyed, nose and mouth people need to check your face privilege.