Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mugrim posted:

I know people think I'm joking, but Al Franken is pretty much purpose built for the job of defeating Trump. He's got years of dealing with similar personas (people who take themselves too seriously who are dumb) and making them look like morons. He can do this while being a senator with real experience, making the midwest happy as they love him, and making a real case for progressive causes.

I can genuinely see him getting Trump to start taking swings at him.

I thought Al Franken was persona non grata for the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Al Franken would be better off being giving a big visible platform to troll the hell out of trump with that isn't a presidential campaign.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ugh, the anti semitism would be sickening if franken ran against the god emperor

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why does the left hate Franken? I mean i dont agree with him on everything but he seems good overall?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lord of Pie posted:

We need to run a guy who can verifiably out deal the art of the deal Cheeto man.

Wayne Brady 2020

no

think business magnates, people who can sell the idea of im successful u can be too, to the american people

Musk 2024

Bill Gates 2020

would on Franken

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Why does the left hate Franken? I mean i dont agree with him on everything but he seems good overall?

To most Americans Franken is a former SNL cast member with an annoying voice who barely wins elections. He is a caricature of a democrat. Maybe that's perfect, tho? I don't know anymore.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

devtesla posted:

To most Americans Franken is a former SNL cast member with an annoying voice who barely wins elections. He is a caricature of a democrat. Maybe that's perfect, tho? I don't know anymore.

That and the people who liked him prior have been pissed that he's not more vocal as a senator, which he's done mostly as a way of trying to legitimize himself by toning down his comedic side.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There is no way Musk would take a break from making meaningful change in the world to be a politician.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

"We should do single payer healthcare"
"Hmm, I think I've heard about that before. It'll be expensive. And poorly run like everything the government does."
"LISTEN YOU PAPIST SAVAGES, I'M TRYING TO DO SOMETHING IN YOUR BEST INTERESTS AND YOUR loving ITALIAN KING WON'T LET YOU DO IT? I HOPE YOU ALL loving DIE."

This is why it's really important to not hate who you're trying to help. If you're convinced that they're all stupid idiot racists who can't be reasoned with or convinced of anything, you, uh... won't try. You'll lose faith in the ability of your positions to convince people, you'll stop believing that politics can actually accomplish anything so why even bother? Just manage what you can and wait until the idiots are dead.
This has been shown to not bring results. If you wanna change things, you gotta try and change things.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

GlyphGryph posted:

There is no way Musk would take a break from making meaningful change in the world to be a politician.

who said he had to be a politician to be elected :confused:

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

who said he had to be a politician to be elected :confused:

Musk is also a libertarian last I checked. He was creepishly stalking Amber Heard because he heard a rumor that she read atlas shrugged or something.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

mugrim posted:

That and the people who liked him prior have been pissed that he's not more vocal as a senator, which he's done mostly as a way of trying to legitimize himself by toning down his comedic side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gensWq4xl0I

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

mugrim posted:

Musk is also a libertarian last I checked. He was creepishly stalking Amber Heard because he heard a rumor that she read atlas shrugged or something.
reminder that musk only came to the conclusion that basic income is needed only because it would cause the economy to stall when all the money ends up in the hands of the elite

which tbqh is more than you can expect of most liberterians

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Ahahhahaha i totally forgot he was on stage when that went down and helped.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

mugrim posted:

Ahahhahaha i totally forgot he was on stage when that went down and helped.

Comedian for multiple decades, senator for nearly a decade, somehow completely lost the ability to ad-lib or handle a heckling crowd

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Karl Barks posted:

i dunno if she even posts here anymore, but she basically called everything that's happening with the ACA when she was posting from like 2008-2012

Just looked up her post history and her posts are very infrequent at this point and the most recent ones were often met with the same kind of neo-liberal "call outs" that made most Democratic threads unbearable during the primaries. She was dead on.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Comedian for multiple decades, senator for nearly a decade, somehow completely lost the ability to ad-lib or handle a heckling crowd

This is a totally valid point, though I'm less worried about ad libbing a mad crowd. The real challenge is loving with and diminishing Trump.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I did not see the posts, but would like to

she routinely pointed out just how loving stupid the ACA was and got probated/banned to oblivion by the D&D fishmech/shillary crew

(hilariously, nearly all of her criticisms of the ACA several years ago have now come 100% completely fuckin true)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My (through my employer) health premium went up about 15%, I ended up having to cut down on certain policies (dental, vision) in order to not have to pay 600 bucks a month, and stick to my low rate of 300(!)

Oh, and premium-at-1200-a-month-already-or-more crew checking in. The only way I can afford it is because my job pays 980 dollars of it. Yey for corporate wageslaveism I guess.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sure would be nice if all that in-case-you-get-sick tax went to funding schools and roads instead of a bonus for some health insurance executive, too bad single payer is impossible welp

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

she routinely pointed out just how loving stupid the ACA was and got probated/banned to oblivion by the D&D fishmech/shillary crew

(hilariously, nearly all of her criticisms of the ACA several years ago have now come 100% completely fuckin true)

But shucks ain't fishmech hilarious?????

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ThIt feels like the single biggest thing the government could do to help fix the problems with healthcare is the one thing they're never going to be willing to do because no one has any desire to engage in log-term thinking - pay for doctors to go to medical school, pay for nurses to get trained, encourage people to enter the field, do something to deal with the frankly insane disincentives for people to enter the field.

Is anything like that happening, at all?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

But shucks ain't fishmech hilarious?????

He should only be allowed to post in the gas chamber again. A fitting punishment.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

ThIt feels like the single biggest thing the government could do to help fix the problems with healthcare is the one thing they're never going to be willing to do because no one has any desire to engage in log-term thinking - pay for doctors to go to medical school, pay for nurses to get trained, encourage people to enter the field, do something to deal with the frankly insane disincentives for people to enter the field.

Is anything like that happening, at all?

Nah.

Most of the doctors around here were pretty old and getting close to retirement so when they started to be required to stitch over to electronic records most of them noped out and quit. I haven't seen any yet locally that have been replaced with anything more than a nurse practitioner.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Fulchrum posted:

The gently caress is a fish fry?

lmao

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

uhhh clam bake? que???

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

uhhh clam bake? que???

A clam bake is the superior cultural event to the fish fry.

It is based around quahogs and clams and lobsters and other things with shells instead of boring fish.

Other than I suspect they have a lot of similarities.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

A clam bake is the superior cultural event to the fish fry.

It is based around quahogs and clams and lobsters and other things with shells instead of boring fish.

Other than I suspect they have a lot of similarities.

There's an indescribable beauty in the simplicity of a good cut of fish, battered and fried well. Simple doesn't have to be bad.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
salmon stir fry event

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Grondoth posted:

There's an indescribable beauty in the simplicity of a good cut of fish, battered and fried well. Simple doesn't have to be bad.

I am pretty sure what you described is actually more complex than normal clam bake preparations, which is literally "steam clams, distribute clams in huge buckets, eat your way through the buckets".

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I am pretty sure what you described is actually more complex than normal clam bake preparations, which is literally "steam clams, distribute clams in huge buckets, eat your way through the buckets".

That's fair

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I just fuckin' like fish fries

They are near and dear to my buffalonian heart.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Steaming them is a bit more complex than the normal (and even more simple) method of digging them out of the dirt and immediately slurping them out of the shell raw

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i don't really think it's inexcusable to not know what a fish fry is. it's not a tradition everywhere as seemingly implied by some here.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

The Fish Fry Defender

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't really think it's inexcusable to not know what a fish fry is. it's not a tradition everywhere as seemingly implied by some here.

Fried Catfish is literally the most American food

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
philip j fish fry

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nonsense posted:

Fried Catfish is literally the most American food

actually, you'll find that america is a melting pot.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Guisado owns and Bernie doesn't even know it exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Concerned Citizen posted:

it absolutely isn't for a normal person, but

a) it's on the list of events you should have at least heard about if you've followed national elections for more than a cycle
b) even if it wasn't you should be able to use context clues to make an inference about what they would be compared to other local events- i.e. even on the godless west coast, in the most bougie liberal part of the city, your local community probably has people doing things like a pancake breakfasts or big pasta/paella dinner events as fundraisers/neighborhood meet and greets
c) the dude who was baffled has been implying expertise in areas where knowing (or being able to instantly figure out) what a fish fry was would basically be pre-conditions for having actual expertise (which is far from the first sign that he's dumb/wrong as hell, just one of the most succinct)

• Locked thread