Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, it'll only get worse from here.

I had forgotten just how lovely they were. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Too bad they won't let you in the club, I'm sure Coyote and Maria would have had a fun conversation about BTL chips.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Falk might be a goddamn cheater, but boy I love that guy.

Best support character in the game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm just glad you have Pascal with you for the creepy cult investigation.

When crazy people want to become as gods, it helps to have someone more stable to ground you. Even if, you know, talking to your drone isn't the most popular sign of stability.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

quote:

Look at all this peace and love and respect for your fellow meta-human being.

It's sickening.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Can confirm that <your race> is especially desirable to the Brotherhood, or at least the melee troll I played did. Not sure what they'd say for a human but who plays as those? Pretty sure I burned down the kitchen and face tanked the rest.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm just glad you have Pascal with you for the creepy cult investigation.

When crazy people want to become as gods

:yokotaro:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

And what is the point of not letting family members talk to each other?

I wonder what this 'truth' is? Sounds like mass brainwashing, but whatever.

Also, this place is all about the meta-humans, yet their grandma made deals with that creepy 'let's experiment on meta-humans' guy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Probably so they can't convince the members to leave the Broterhood. Or to give them their money earthly possessions.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I wonder what this 'truth' is? Sounds like mass brainwashing, but whatever.

You should read up on a certain church/religion that begins with an S and ends with a Y.

The U.B. is heavily based off said church.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

There are various reasons why an organization would want to isolate its members and thus have full control over them, but the main reason is presumably to explain away the disappearances related to the Brotherhood as mentioned in the newspaper articles:

quote:

You give the impression that Bob has abandoned his family and his family has abandoned him by intercepting (and perhaps falsifying) their only means of communications, and when Bob is never heard from again they can simply claim he started a new life in the Brotherhood and wants nothing to do with his old one akin to a witness protection program.

How much of this is true and where these people have gone is as of yet unknown.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

mauman posted:

You should read up on a certain church/religion that begins with an S and ends with a Y.

Which is it?

Is it scientology? Or Soteriology?

Also, it's super obvious something bad is going on behind the scenes. Especially in this type of world with this kind of setting. Everything is pretty warped.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Sorkinology

You wouldn't believe how cult like a West Wing can get

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Slaan posted:

Sorkinology

*documentary camera follows a cultist, walking-and-talking endlessly through twisted hallways*
:geno:: What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next. What's next...

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Orgy confirmed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mauman posted:

The UB is also somehow managing to be worse. Not by much, but they are worse. We'll find out fairly soon in a few updates I think.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Poil posted:

The UB is also somehow managing to be worse. Not by much, but they are worse.

Going to disagree with the "not by much" part.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's set in a crappy world setting, so of course whatever it's based off - they probably took the idea and warped it till it became the twisted thing the UB is now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Poil posted:

The UB is also somehow managing to be worse. Not by much, but they are worse. We'll find out fairly soon in a few updates I think.

What we may or may not find out we can discuss once we get there, stick to what we know in the present rather than the future, please.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

mauman posted:

It's standard practice for pretty much all cults, not just the obvious one, along with having members give up their earthly possessions. Both are usually given pseudospirutual reasons that may or may not be believed by the cult authorities, and both serve the function of forcing the new recruit to be more reliant on their "new family," both for their social and physical needs, thus reinforcing their dependency on the cult, making it harder for them to leave if they have a crisis of faith.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
It's also one of the standard practices in abusive relationships! Cults have an easier time pulling it off- there's more people there to reinforce "you don't need them anymore"- but the goal of the exercise is to make sure that if the target ever comes around to contemplating leaving, they have nowhere left to go.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder how many weird cults there are in Seattle alone.

Kanfy posted:

What we may or may not find out we can discuss once we get there, stick to what we know in the present rather than the future, please.
Yeah I got a little carried away, sorry.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Poil posted:

I wonder how many weird cults there are in Seattle alone.

Someone do a lore dump about the Otaku. They were basically an AI worshipping cult, right?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

It's standard practice for pretty much all cults, not just the obvious one, along with having members give up their earthly possessions. Both are usually given pseudospirutual reasons that may or may not be believed by the cult authorities, and both serve the function of forcing the new recruit to be more reliant on their "new family," both for their social and physical needs, thus reinforcing their dependency on the cult, making it harder for them to leave if they have a crisis of faith.

Oh, I'm aware of that, but that certain church is what made such practices mainstream knowledge.

I think it should be pointed out that I have no problem with that religion, just the church itself. I actually knew a few non-church affiliated practitioners back in college and they were totally cool dudes.

They're considered heretics by the church of course. They're called Freezoners if I recall correctly. Course I'm sure that part of the reason they're considered heretics (besides not signing over their life and possessions) is that they tend to be VERY critical of the church, including the crap we're talking about.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 25, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Freezoners is a pretty badass name to give your heretics.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

UnwiseTrout posted:

Freezoners is a pretty badass name to give your heretics.

That's what I (and the people I knew) thought as well.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Freezoned again... :smith:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I was in Pike Place last week actually on vacation. The giant fish skeleton would of been an excellent addition to the place.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Slaan posted:

Sorkinology

I'm the hipster Sorkinologist who was a big fan of Sports Night.

1: Will Amazon eventually go back to Tourist garb? The Brotherhood garb is good for the stealthy portion but Tourist is the true garb of the rigger.

2: In the future Seattle where soycaf is the drink of choice, liquefied cane sugar would be worth more than gold. I mean, as long as it is actual cane sugar.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

King Doom posted:

Someone do a lore dump about the Otaku. They were basically an AI worshipping cult, right?

They were the guys who could talk to the Matrix with their mind before the Technomancers, who could talk to a more different Matrix with their mind, showed up. They were kind of like Matrix mages, mechanically, in that they could jack their own powers up, by banding together with other otaku at "resonance wells", somehow-uncharted bits of the Matrix.

I suppose you could call those cults? And sometimes AIs did get involved with them. But nothing about them was necessarily different from the rest of the shadowrunners, a miserable pile of game mechanics.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

1: Will Amazon eventually go back to Tourist garb? The Brotherhood garb is good for the stealthy portion but Tourist is the true garb of the rigger.

Have no fear, she'll be back in her usual look in the next update.

Actually since it came up, as of the next store visit we have access to every outfit in the game so it seems like a waste not to show them off seeing as we'll never get to see them otherwise. It's an all-Amazon fashion show!

In a rough order of price/quality, and with varying degrees of hair disappearing or clipping through clothes:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 28, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Stealth Rigger or The Mechanic, I guess, if we're going by game mechanics for choices.

Preferably Stealth Rigger because 2 extra points of armor isn't worth looking like we're running around with our jumpsuit unzipped and our goods about to fall out. I know that's not actually what's going on there but WTF.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I didn't really mean it as a vote, I figure we'll stick with our trusty cargo shorts to the bitter end. Of course if people feel very strongly about changing to some particular style then we can do that too.

Purely from a mechanical (eheh) standpoint The Mechanic is unquestionably the best one for Amazon, visually questionable as it is. Drone Combat is pretty much the only stat that makes a noticeable difference for her since it makes 4 AP drones reachable before the end of the game. But since we can do just fine without them and riggers aren't quite as reliant on high armor as the other archetypes, we can afford to go for form before function.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I never bothered with drones, so I wouldn't mind seeing the high-end ones.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ugh, I understand it's difficult to create outfits that are visually distinctive and appropriate to the setting, but most of the stuff that isn't outright "Matrix" is pretty bad.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I never bothered with drones, so I wouldn't mind seeing the high-end ones.

We'll see all the drones regardless, the S-class one only requires Drone Control 7 which is miles easier to reach than Drone Combat 9 even without outfit boosts. They'll just be 3 AP drones instead of 4 AP ones.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fat Samurai posted:

Ugh, I understand it's difficult to create outfits that are visually distinctive and appropriate to the setting, but most of the stuff that isn't outright "Matrix" is pretty bad.

And then there's the top hat and tourist stuff.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
While stealth rigger is a cooler looking outfit, it think it would be fun to see 4 AP drones. We may not need it, but it's always fun to be as broken as possible.

Besides, if the tourist outfit is anything to go by, visually questionable outfits clearly are Amazon's style. :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

And then there's the top hat and tourist stuff.

That's why I said "most". :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fat Samurai posted:

That's why I said "most". :colbert:

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just highlighting the jump in quality for those

• Locked thread