Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

5er posted:

I've had Fire Emblem sitting about on my 3DS that I haven't brought myself to crack into just yet. I know with the recent chatter in the thread it's been described as a very 'forgiving' SRPG in the way of development choices. Still though, I'd like to hear any 'so you're just getting started...' advice that folks have.

Start on Normal/Casual, pay attention to the tutorials, really rely on the enemy range button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also never use the basic stats view, it's garbage and tells you nothing about how strong a unit is or how fast they are.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

5er posted:

I've had Fire Emblem sitting about on my 3DS that I haven't brought myself to crack into just yet. I know with the recent chatter in the thread it's been described as a very 'forgiving' SRPG in the way of development choices. Still though, I'd like to hear any 'so you're just getting started...' advice that folks have.

Davincie posted:

use pair up, don't let people die, dont rely on frederick, make babies

Addendum: Frederick is good to have as a support unit on a physical attacker early on when you get to the point where you can Pair Up (which is whenever you get to Chapter 3 or if you turn off tutorials), especially on Sumia so that she can damage poo poo and take less damage early in the game... and get increased movement.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The out of print poo poo is really stupid. 3DS only gets like 1-2 good games a year, and if you bought one late you can't even get physical copies of older games you missed. Nintendo is so dumb.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

surrender posted:

Are Kid Icarus and Starfox 64 out of print? Amazon isn't selling them anymore and the 2nd-hand prices are ridiculously high.

They're both on sale at like 30% off on the eShop at the moment if you've got a hankerin' for on-rails shooters on the 3DS. Both good games.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

surrender posted:

Are Kid Icarus and Starfox 64 out of print? Amazon isn't selling them anymore and the 2nd-hand prices are ridiculously high.

I see them all the time in Walmart and Target.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Jarogue posted:

I see them all the time in Walmart and Target.

Where?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Texas.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Hell, I just saw a use copy of Star Fox 64 today at Gamestop.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
So its like this

See? Its kinda... tilted. It seems minor but at some angles the bottom of the left side of the LCD screen is actually cut off

e: also when I RMAd it before they did very well at putting screws in

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 20, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

corn in the bible posted:

So its like this

See? Its kinda... tilted. It seems minor but at some angles the bottom of the left side of the LCD screen is actually cut off

If it bothers you that much, send it back. I don't know what you expect to hear from us.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

So its like this

e: also when I RMAd it before they did very well at putting screws in

Nintendo churns out cheaply built plastic crap now. Has for a while. The build quality on the 3ds is atrocious.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Remember when people found out the Nintendo logo on the SP could just slide off

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a barely-English trailer for Return To Popolocrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale - The Localised Title of Popolocrois x Bokujou Monogatari (The Series Formerly Known As Harvest Moon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNzgQtUVqI

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's a barely-English trailer for Return To Popolocrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale - The Localised Title of Popolocrois x Bokujou Monogatari (The Series Formerly Known As Harvest Moon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNzgQtUVqI

Rune Factory 5 looking good

5er
Jun 1, 2000

African AIDS cum posted:

Nintendo churns out cheaply built plastic crap now. Has for a while. The build quality on the 3ds is atrocious.

I've never had to RMA a single piece of Nintendo equipment. I have a GBA SP in a box somewhere that I dug out for the joy of it and it still turned on. There's a 1987 NES at my mom's that still plays, as well as a 1992 SNES. My DSi, launch 3DS and 3DSXL all operate like their first day. My Wii controllers have been ungracefully handled by my sons, bear the scars of it, but still work. My older son has had a DSi and a 3DS, they both still work, and he has treated them like you would imagine a boy from the ages of 6 to 10 would.

To contrast, I've RMA'd a PSOne, a PS3 and an XBox 360, had had pixel defects with 2 PSP's and a Vita.

Nintendo might be 'cheaply built plastic crap' but it's the sturdiest cheap plastic crap I've witnessed.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

5er posted:

Nintendo might be 'cheaply built plastic crap' but it's the sturdiest cheap plastic crap I've witnessed.

My first 3DS came cheap from eBay, lightly dog-chewed. There's a small patch on the bottom screen where the digitizer isn't quite right, and some obvious imprints on the select/home/start buttons, but it's been rocking along great for years, more recently as a friend's Animal Crossing machine. I've horrified myself by dropping my MM3DS onto wood floors a few times now but it continues to look and work fine. (Those skinomi full body skins are worth the trouble.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, Big W's apparently purging a bunch of their videogame stock, and part of that is "Old" 3DS's (including special editions) and the Pokemon 2DS's for $50 a pop. If you just want a cheap one instead of all the bells and whistles of a new3DS, now's your best chance if you can get lucky enough to find'em still in stock.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Even if you think it's cheap plastic crap it does not excuse putting screws in like a drunk.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Nintendo handhelds aren't, like, military-grade hardware like the old Game Boys but the 3DS is still pretty loving solid compared to most consumer electronics.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

even if it is cheap plastic crap i think using a screwdriver properly is pretty basic technique regardless

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

even if it is cheap plastic crap i think using a screwdriver properly is pretty basic technique regardless

Only if you've had a lot of practice. :eng101:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

God, if only

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I tried out the new Zelda game at the Mario Maker thing at my best buy. It was really sweet. I played with a kid (maybe 12) who has only played wind waker and a best but employee who had never played a Zelda game. We played the volcano levels, it was a lot of fun. They died a few times getting used to it, but we beat the boss (the kid actually figured out he could stand on a ledge and shoot his now while I ran around and distracted him). It was a good experience.

I want to get the game, but read online that you can't play two player multiplayer, but there is download play. If download play let's you do everything, or there's a good deal for three copies (Im hoping for some kind of digital promotion) I'll definitely get it. My gf and I want to play, we will need to find a third if we want to play together I think? I dunno, I need to find out more about playing multiplayer before I get it.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Fritzler posted:

I want to get the game, but read online that you can't play two player multiplayer, but there is download play. If download play let's you do everything, or there's a good deal for three copies (Im hoping for some kind of digital promotion) I'll definitely get it. My gf and I want to play, we will need to find a third if we want to play together I think? I dunno, I need to find out more about playing multiplayer before I get it.
I was under the impression that you could play straight online, so not being able to play 2 players isn't a problem. That's why there's the communication gestures on the touch screen.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Chaltab posted:

I was under the impression that you could play straight online, so not being able to play 2 players isn't a problem. That's why there's the communication gestures on the touch screen.
That's true. But will you be able to sing up online with one friend and one random person? I don't know. I hope so. If not though I won't get it probably.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a way to hold on to digital games? I'm probably going to sell my 3ds since I never use it, but down the road I may pick up a new 3DS and want my games back. All I see is ways to directly transfer between 2 systems.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a way to hold on to digital games? I'm probably going to sell my 3ds since I never use it, but down the road I may pick up a new 3DS and want my games back. All I see is ways to directly transfer between 2 systems.

I believe you'll have to get customer service to transfer your games to the new 3DS using your NNID.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

NESguerilla posted:

You may only directly transfer between two systems.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fritzler posted:

That's true. But will you be able to sing up online with one friend and one random person? I don't know. I hope so. If not though I won't get it probably.

Luigi's Mansion lets you do this, I'd like to think Triforce Heroes will too.

The '"no two-player online thing" sounds really dumb: the reports are that you absolutely can't play with fewer than three players and if someone drops out during a session you get an instant game over.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
What was it I saw about AI controlled doll characters, though?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bass Bottles posted:

What was it I saw about AI controlled doll characters, though?

That's only for single player I think, but they should really add in a functionally for what you are thinking.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's only for single player I think, but they should really add in a functionally for what you are thinking.

Oh, that's too bad :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

You may only directly transfer between two systems.

Wamdoodle posted:

I believe you'll have to get customer service to transfer your games to the new 3DS using your NNID.

Allright thanks. I think I'm just done buying anything N makes until they start operating like every other digital distributor on the planet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If you know you're going to rebuy later...why not just keep the one you currently have and save the hassle?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you can't eat a cheeseburger in three months and enjoy it as much as a new one

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Realtalk I'm embarrassingly hard up for money and my XL has been turned on maybe twice in the last year and a half ( I was saving it for metroid but lol) so it's gonna go . Buying a new one was just a possibility. I did the same thing with the original 3ds when I wasn't using it and lost my games. I'm not raging against Nintendo or anything, it's not a big deal but at this point I'm finding it less and less appealing to return to any of their products when every other company has been doing it right for the last 7 or 8 years and just attaches stuff I bought to an account.

Also, it's more of a personal preference thing but the amount of games that they put out that actually appeal to me seems to be dwindling to the point of one or less a year, which doesn't seem worth owning a system for. Then of course something amazing will come out and I'll want a new 3ds :lol:

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 21, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
tell jivjov something about nintendo sucks, and then sell his response to kotaku and get paid per word

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NESguerilla posted:

Realtalk I'm embarrassingly hard up for money and my XL has been turned on maybe twice in the last year and a half ( I was saving it for metroid but lol) so it's gonna go . Buying a new one was just a possibility. I did the same thing with the original 3ds when I wasn't using it and lost my games. I'm not raging against Nintendo or anything, it's not a big deal but at this point I'm finding it less and less appealing to return to any of their products when every other company has been doing it right for the last 7 or 8 years and just attaches stuff I bought to an account.

Also, it's more of a personal preference thing but the amount of games that they put out that actually appeal to me seems to be dwindling to the point of one or less a year, which doesn't seem worth owning a system for. Then of course something amazing will come out and I'll want a new 3ds :lol:

Digital purchases are tied to an account; that's what the NNID is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What's the verdict on Fantasy Life? Think I will buy one more game on sale and I'm thinking that or Starfox.