Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Owlbear Camus posted:

genetically modified red cow to bring about the third temple and messiah in israel? 90s airport novel plot rear end geopolitical developments
i haven't seen anyone claiming the cows were genetically modified except that "Christian Prophecy" twitter account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Relentless selective breeding is a form of genetic modification, arguably.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Mr. F! posted:

sounds made up

Seems legit.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-war-hamas-red-heifers-from-texas-jerusalem-jewish-temple-al-aqsa/

Article from a month ago how evangelical Texans were providing red cows to a hardcore Zionist group who want to build the Third Temple on Al-Aqsa Mosque.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Evangelical/Zionist belief that you can trick God with a technicality is astounding.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Evangelical/Zionist belief that you can trick God with a technicality is astounding.

jesus sitting at his desk, smoking a cigarette and looking off to the middle distance. the phone rings, he answers: "j man here. hold on, they did WHAT to a cow? me damnit, I'll be down in a minute."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

the rabbinical perspective is that god put in the loopholes for you to use, youre not tricking god, he just expects you to figure out the exploits on your own

you should read the talmud man, it's wild

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

as far as evangelicals go they just have the minds of children and try to fool daddy

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
This isn't a case of loopholes, this is just ignoring the numerous reasons why the sacrifice would not be allowed and, even if it were, would not be relevant.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

This isn't a case of loopholes, this is just ignoring the numerous reasons why the sacrifice would not be allowed and, even if it were, would not be relevant.

yeah this in particular is just some weird jewish stuff being done by isreali maniacs

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
there are regular red cattle. You don't have to have an elite team of Israeli sorcerers to magick up a red cow.

https://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/99/red-angus/

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Al! posted:

as far as evangelicals go they just have the minds of children and try to fool daddy

I get the sense that in the cultural sphere, American religion, even the rejection of it - how much of New Atheism was "gently caress you dad!"? - works like that.

It makes sense, culture, including religious culture, replicates in the family home. The postwar American nuclear family means that all cultural norms, including politics and religion, aren't formed within a community but by your relationship with your dad.

But if people's trajectories and worldviews in life depend on accepting or rejecting their parents, and everything associated with them, obviously this is a problem because they're not fully participating in culture, religion, politics, and it probably has other weird knock on effects.

I remember when liberals were doing end zone dances about "authoritarian personalities" and conservatives, and that should have been a pretty obvious tell that they have confused family dynamics with ideology.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Well a huge amount of it also comes from the hijacking of religion by social conservatives who took over the narrative in every corner of the media. I was raised completely secular by two ostensible deists but ended up thinking as a teenager that religion was inherently evil stupid reactionary nightmare poo poo about harassing teenagers getting abortions and beating up gay people because that's what it seemed like if you paid attention to the news.

That's not even accounting for the residential schools and child molestation stuff too, not that I was ever exposed to actual Catholicism out here in BC, I think I knew one actual religious person growing up, not even my grandparents were religious. Religion in general doesn't have the best PR in the West these days.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Why wouldn't Israel allow it? They've funded the Temple Institute that pulled all this together.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

skeptical of this because there is no april in the hebrew calendar. april tends to begin halfway through nisan, and end halfway through iyar

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DynamicSloth posted:

Why wouldn't Israel allow it? They've funded the Temple Institute that pulled all this together.

allowed by the halakha, not the Israeli authorities

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
those cows aren’t red, they’re ginger. checkmate zionazis

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if that cow is not the exact right pantone code God is gonna give 'em an ark of the covenant treatment.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/in-bombshell-filing-ag-to-tell-high-court-govt-must-get-ready-to-draft-yeshiva-students/
In a bombshell draft filing to the High Court, Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara’s office says the government will no longer be able to defer military conscription of ultra-Orthodox yeshiva students come Monday morning.

Following the failure of the government to come up with a realistic plan to increase ultra-Orthodox enlistment to present to the court, and with the government resolution delaying the conscription of Haredi yeshiva students set to expire midnight on Sunday, the attorney general says the relevant state agencies will have no legal option other than to begin drafting such men on Monday.

Baharav-Miara also tells the High Court that, as a result, there will be no legal basis to continue the state funding of yeshiva student stipends, since those funds are grounded in the framework of the students’ military service exemptions.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
israel is sabre rattling that theyll attack rafah to try and force hamas into concessions in the negotiations

====

Israeli Channel 12: Army begins preparations for operation in Rafah

Israeli Channel 12:

The Israeli army has begun preparations for an operation in Rafah in the event of the collapse of negotiations.

The Israeli military has begun steps to isolate the city of Rafah and evacuate civilians.

Netanyahu ordered the purchase of 40,000 tents from China for Gaza to be erected in preparation for the ground operation in Rafah.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31601;&%231581;

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

DynamicSloth posted:

The government might; religious law wouldn't. The mainstream belief is that the Messiah is the only one to rebuild the Temple. Strengthening this position is the fact that important information about how the Temple would be rebuilt is not known, such as the intended location of the Holy of Holies (this is why most Jews believe that they should not even go up to the Temple Mount, since the only one who can go to the Holy of Holies is the High Priest and only on Yom Kippur); it is believed the Messiah would be the one to reveal such things. There are disagreements about the exact mechanism by which this would happen (e.g., would the Messiah personally lead the reconstruction?) but the broad consensus is that random people can't just decide to start rebuilding the Temple.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Stuff like international law and condemnation of genocide might not seem like it matters, and it often doesn't... until it does. The balance of power can shift wildly and quickly. The governments around Israel might not do poo poo when they invade Rafah (they already have, they're just keeping it quiet precisely so the counterattacks against them from other places don't get even more severe), but countries are far more than just their governments. We here in amerikkka would also do well to remember this. Sustained effort is what wins every struggle in the world, not just expecting one big event to finally collapse the bad guys.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/nadinbrzezinski/status/1772833402447876316

https://twitter.com/nadinbrzezinski/status/1772833426833621221

https://twitter.com/ViktorNaumenk99/status/1772963095113077245

The real Egyptian government (GIS) directly told the head of the CIA to his face that they would invade if Israel attacked Rafah. The only people who don’t think that will happen are Ben Gvir and Goons on here for some reason.

The country currently enforcing the blockade on Gaza on their very own border isn't about to invade Israel.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goosed it. posted:

I appreciate them showing how dumb and craven Destiny is. And also, find Destiny's argument dumb even if he had been right. I get that the legal definition of genocide includes specific intent, but bombing hospitals and mass starvation is depraved even without specific genocidal intent. Just seems like getting caught in the weeds when there is an acknowledgement that Israel is willfully causing mass civilian death and suffering.

Intent can also be inferred.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The government might; religious law wouldn't. The mainstream belief is that the Messiah is the only one to rebuild the Temple. Strengthening this position is the fact that important information about how the Temple would be rebuilt is not known, such as the intended location of the Holy of Holies (this is why most Jews believe that they should not even go up to the Temple Mount, since the only one who can go to the Holy of Holies is the High Priest and only on Yom Kippur); it is believed the Messiah would be the one to reveal such things. There are disagreements about the exact mechanism by which this would happen (e.g., would the Messiah personally lead the reconstruction?) but the broad consensus is that random people can't just decide to start rebuilding the Temple.

if this event is true and not just being put out as a canard, it really just seems like semi-religious spectacle like a christmas pageant only an animal gets murdered

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Intent can also be inferred.

Especially from statements from government officials like, "make Gaza uninhabitable" or comparing Palestinians to a biblical tribe that God ordered the ancient Israelites to genocide lmao.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

theyve not just bombed but actively demolished all of gaza's schools, religious buildings, and healthcare. gaza will need to be rebuilt entirely and israel plans to do so without letting palestinians live there, but sure i guess its just a defensive war against hamas because tunnels exist

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

joepinetree posted:

The country currently enforcing the blockade on Gaza on their very own border isn't about to invade Israel.
Again, the "country" enforcing the blockade is not the people of that land. That government is an imposition, and one that is showing cracks of its own.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Only a subset of Israeli Haredim are antizionist.
There are many of them that are active settlers and all for zionism. Just not secular zionism.

Seems like any right wing tendencies aren't really related to their religion then.

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe I've got them confused with the American strain of ultra-Orthodox Jews who don't teach their kids English and do Torah studies for "work"

Regardless, I'm still curious if the huge no-work welfare program for religious studies has ever actually produced any scholarship.

Is not learning English a right wing practice? Or founding your community on religious devotion? Are the Amish right wing? Quakers?
Most Haredi men in America work. It's even a slim majority in Israel.

I too would like to know the answer to your second question, I might take a look if I get the time.

Karach posted:

there are regular red cattle. You don't have to have an elite team of Israeli sorcerers to magick up a red cow.

https://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/99/red-angus/

One non-red hair disqualifies them. Best to play it safe I suppose.

Al-Saqr posted:

egypt would sooner kill a million egyptians than touch a single hair on an israelis head and if you guys think they will do anything for gaza Im sorry youre a loving idiot helping gaza would be completely against the military fascists interests and completely against the whole purpose of them being supported and propped up by the US, the UAE and the mossad please stop believing this horseshit

Saudi Arabia 2 decades ago seemed like an American puppet completely dependent on the USA for its continued survival. Now it won't even let them use their airspace for bombing runs. Turns out it has quite a bit of leverage over America to make independent policy decisions.

The same is true of the wider Egyptian state. Sure, the USA can replace Sisi, but they can't really replace the military. What is America going to do? Mess with them economically, but as long as there is food and fuel it's not too bad. I can think of a couple of interested parties who specialize in low interest loans to pay for it (China) and food and fuel itself (Russia). Perhaps something could be worked out through the BRICS format, as Egypt is now a member.

I'm not hopeful personally but I think you exaggerate the balance of forces here. American might, military and economic, is not what it once was.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Orbs posted:

Again, the "country" enforcing the blockade is not the people of that land. That government is an imposition, and one that is showing cracks of its own.

And what the gently caress does that distinction have to do with whether the government is currently amassing troops to invade Israel?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

joepinetree posted:

And what the gently caress does that distinction have to do with whether the government is currently amassing troops to invade Israel?
Troops to invade are not the only form of resistance. (Also look at the Houthis- they're helping too.)

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
If Egypt did invade I'd imagine it'd be nothing to do with morality, and more that they'd see it as a way to get Ansarallah off their backs and restart their ports, combined with thinking that the US is basically as spent as it's gonna be and can't meaningfully do worse than it already has for them, and that China would be a better sugar daddy anyways. If they think about civilian opinion it is only in terms of how many dollars dissent currently costs minus or how much pro Palestinian sentiment would (if any) defer costs of such a move.

Edit: Basically if the dog thinks it can slip it's leash and get better chow with the neighbor next door, it may just do so.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Weka posted:

American might, military and economic, is not what it once was.
This. The empire is in its death throes, and rightly so.

thechosenone posted:

If Egypt did invade I'd imagine it'd be nothing to do with morality, and more that they'd see it as a way to get Ansarallah off their backs and restart their ports, combined with thinking that the US is basically as spent as it's gonna be and can't meaningfully do worse than it already has for them, and that China would be a better sugar daddy anyways. If they think about civilian opinion it is only in terms of how many dollars dissent currently costs minus or how much pro Palestinian sentiment would (if any) defer costs of such a move.

Edit: Basically if the dog thinks it can slip it's leash and get better chow with the neighbor next door, it may just do so.
Resistance can be out of self-interest too, no one said it had to be based on morality.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

skeptical of this because there is no april in the hebrew calendar. april tends to begin halfway through nisan, and end halfway through iyar

it seems obviously made up to me :shrug:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Egypt invading Israel? Come on now

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Honky Mao posted:

Egypt invading Israel? Come on now
Come on and what? Have actual imagination, instead of accepting the status quo as eternal and unchangeable?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Orbs posted:

Come on and what? Have actual imagination, instead of accepting the status quo as eternal and unchangeable?

Egypt isn't going to invade Israel

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

genericnick posted:

Lots of other countries in the world champ

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

genericnick posted:

Egypt is more likely to help Israel. Which they arguably are right now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Egypt is definitely culpable for Israel's genocide. Jordan as well so long as the monarchy continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.