Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

All adverts should be done by Stone Cold Steve Austin.

If he had a Mr.T type gig as a tough guy pitchman for something on TV, it'd own. Especially if they let him be silly, he's pretty good at it. Hell, I think Steve could so sitcom work as a regular character no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What other ideas do you have?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dave's analyzing Joey Styles' top 50 promos list for WWE.com, I'd really love to see him come up with one of his own. Guy's pretty tough if he doesn't even think Pillman deserves to be on there despite being a very good promo and a personal friend of his.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He's complained about like everyone on this list so far but he gushed over Bray Wyatt.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I loved the "sure" Dave gave when they got to Cena.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Jeez. Bruno's promos are pretty rough.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Edge made the list. Sting didn't. #EdgeWONHOF

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What really shocked me was Dave having an issue with Flair as #1 and only putting him at "around #7 or #8" given the amount of respect Dave has for the man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hopefully there is a slow news week in the next month because if it stays on Dave's mind we'll get a "Best promos" story in the Observer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The expert that Jericho got on his show to discuss the Loch Ness Monster knows his stuff, and he's got me worried about which foreign nations are hiding submarines in Scotland.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The most surprising thing about Meltzer's run down to me was he didn't balk at all about Punk around #15. Given the entirety of wrestling history I'm not sure I'd have him quite that high and I'm sure Meltzer has seen even more amazing promos out there. I'm glad we got a good Rock/Austin Idol story though. Austin Idol was incredible.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Surprised Dave didn't mention Dana White or Chael Sonnen.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The most surprising thing about Meltzer's run down to me was he didn't balk at all about Punk around #15. Given the entirety of wrestling history I'm not sure I'd have him quite that high and I'm sure Meltzer has seen even more amazing promos out there. I'm glad we got a good Rock/Austin Idol story though. Austin Idol was incredible.

Punk's a guy who legit deserves to be on the list though and I think he realized that any current/recent WWE guy was going to be inflated. Rock was certainly an incredible promo but I was shocked Dave put him above Flair.

I think it's a defensible viewpoint but I'd personally put Flair higher and if you'd have asked me to name Dave's favorite two US wrestlers from a pure fan perspective I'd have guessed Flair and Funk based on his prior statements.

rovert posted:

Surprised Dave didn't mention Dana White or Chael Sonnen.

I think he was keeping it to pro wrestlers, Ali's easy top 5 and arguably #1 if you're talking legit sports as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jericho being top 10 is the biggest 'Huh?' for me on that list. He's good, and I'd probably put him on the list, but above Cornette? Above Jake? Above Arn or Funk? Hell, I'm not even sure I'd put him above Punk.

I'm at least happy with the example they used for Regal, though. It's a short one, but it's a great example of how to educate the audience on history and do a babyface turn at the same time. Given how iffy the Eugene gimmick was as a concept, I'm disappointed they didn't take the opportunity to transition it to a Regal/Triple H feud. Presumably another case where Vince's dislike of Regal's in-ring style worked against him.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think he underrates Steiner and Warrior. Sure they made no sense but people remember SPECIFIC promos they did (lawnmowers, Steiner math, cockpit door, etc) and many can recite them word-for-word. If you're going with the criteria that it's about the delivery rather than the content, surely those guys should be on there. I mean, 90% of the Rock's or Macho Man's promos were complete nonsense if you ignore the delivery.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think he underrates Steiner and Warrior. Sure they made no sense but people remember SPECIFIC promos they did (lawnmowers, Steiner math, cockpit door, etc) and many can recite them word-for-word. If you're going with the criteria that it's about the delivery rather than the content, surely those guys should be on there. I mean, 90% of the Rock's or Macho Man's promos were complete nonsense if you ignore the delivery.

People remember lots of specific things about wrestling because they were both good and bad. Rock and Macho Man captivated crowds and drew lots of money something Warrior and Steiner weren't able to do with their promos. It's not like the execution was that great either, a lot of their stuff was stumbling around as they tried to get back on track.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

People remember lots of specific things about wrestling because they were both good and bad. Rock and Macho Man captivated crowds and drew lots of money something Warrior and Steiner weren't able to do with their promos. It's not like the execution was that great either, a lot of their stuff was stumbling around as they tried to get back on track.

Warrior may not have drawn money as the champion, but he was doing those same promos leading up to Mania 6 when he was obviously hot enough to be put against and over Hogan. This surely wasn't based on his wrestling ability or his professionalism, and even casual fans (or non-fans) remember those promos. Whether or not he stayed on topic, the promos that people remember from that period (late 80's, early 90's) come from Hogan, Savage, Flair, Warrior, and maybe Jake or Rude.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRafTer posted:

Steiner's ranking is probably also hurt by the fact his most memorably quoted promos were delivered in a dying WCW and the deathless limbo that is TNA.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't know that Warrior's promos drew people to see his matches, as much as him being a really big guy who won matches all the time in really quick fashion.

I mean, it's hard to tell definitively, but that would be my guess. Even a guy like Sid can kind of get over because he's huge and booked strong.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I don't know that Warrior's promos drew people to see his matches, as much as him being a really big guy who won matches all the time in really quick fashion.

I mean, it's hard to tell definitively, but that would be my guess. Even a guy like Sid can kind of get over because he's huge and booked strong.

Sure but I think in both of those cases, the promos provide a pretty integral part of those characters. Not just big guys that ran through people, but batshit crazy big guys that ran through people. As a kid, Warrior and even Macho Man as a face were fascinating to me because they were good guys that were, on occasion, spoke and acted like bad guys since they sounded completely unhinged.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Warrior may not have drawn money as the champion, but he was doing those same promos leading up to Mania 6 when he was obviously hot enough to be put against and over Hogan. This surely wasn't based on his wrestling ability or his professionalism, and even casual fans (or non-fans) remember those promos. Whether or not he stayed on topic, the promos that people remember from that period (late 80's, early 90's) come from Hogan, Savage, Flair, Warrior, and maybe Jake or Rude.

Warrior's appeal was in his body type and insane charisma. People remember his promos a lot more now because of the Ultimate Destruction DVD that made fun of them. His promos became a joke. The cockpit door stuff was mocked for years. His promos were even a liability in WCW and his later WWF career when his body was no longer the public's ideal of the Ultimate Warrior and people were sick of steroid bodies.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

based on what I've heard in this podcast, Meltzer's Top 50 promos of all time would consist of like 26 people.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

based on what I've heard in this podcast, Meltzer's Top 50 promos of all time would consist of like 26 people.

It would just include a lot of older wrestlers. I bet Stevens would be on there along with a ton of guys who didn't really get any time in the WWF and thus Joey Styles wouldn't be familiar with them. This is why I hope he does an article, I'd be interested to see if someone like Jackie Fargo would make his cut. Fargo's promos are hard to listen to now, but at the time he clearly captivated his audiences, pally. Jimmy Hart would probably have to be on there and god knows who else.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

yeah maybe 30 if you add in Vachon and the like two other guys he cited as omissions

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I read through the top 25 of the list without seeing Bockwinkel or Lawler so piss

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Stolen from the Board, here's what Dave said about each person on the Top 50 Talkers list:

quote:

50. Scott Steiner - No way in hell.
49. Joel Gertner - ECW Eyes. Good, not top 50.
48. Jimmy Valiant - Charismatic, not that great of interviews.
47. Zeb Colter - Good promo, not top 50.
46. New Jack - Not top 50. ECW Bias.
45. The Grand Wizard of Wrestling - Good. Not a stretch. Not Dave's top 50.
44. Brian Pillman - Not Dave's top 50, but good & creative.
43. JBL - Helluva promo. Not sure if top 50.
42. Thunderbolt Patterson - Horrible promos.
41. The Miz - Yeah, right... No.
40. Kevin Sullivan - Good promo, not top 50.
39. William Regal - No loving way. No loving... good commentator, and decent promo. Not top 50.
38. Tazz - Good, not top 50.
37. Stephanie McMahon - rear end kissing.
36. Ernie Ladd - Really good.
35. Kurt Angle - Yeah.
34. Bray Wyatt - Bit early. Will end up there, and higher.
33. Rick Rude - Good. Great delivery.
32. Gary Hart - Top 50. Top 5 Manager.
31. Ultimate Warrior - Laughable. Memorable, but no.
30. Michael P.S. Hayes - Absolutely. Probably too low even.
29. Nick Bockwinkel - Fair. Very Good.
28. Raven - Great talker. Maybe too high, but arguable.
27. Jesse Ventura - Absoluteness. A better Superstar.
26. Jerry Lawler - Way too low. Has to be top 10.
25. The Million Dollar Man - Good promo, a little high.
24. Terry Funk - Too low.
23. Shawn Michaels - Very good, feels too high.
22. Harley Race - No. Not top 50.
21. Edge - Great talker. Wouldn't argue it at all.
20. Captain Lou Albano - Too High, but top 50.
19. Triple H - Very good promo, wouldn't argue.
18. Macho Man Randy Savage - Yes.
17. Jim Cornette - oh yeah
16. CM Punk - oh yeah
15. Arn Anderson - yeah yeah
14. Superstar Billy Graham - uh ya for sure
13. Mr. McMahon - Yes.
12. John Cena - Umm, sure.
11. Jake Roberts - Not 11, but deff strong contender.
10. Chris Jericho - Not top 10, but top tier.
9. Hulk Hogan - Not as high, but deff on the list.
8. Bobby The Brain Heenan - Yes.
7. Mick Foley - Yes.
6. Paul Heyman - Ya.
5. Dusty Rhodes - Yes.
4. Stone Cold Steve Austin - Sure, Yeah.
3. Roddy Piper - Sure.
2. The Rock - Should be #1
1. Ric Flair - Not #1. Top 7 or 8.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I'm very angry about Nick Bockwinkel being ranked #29

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

So yeah 16 guys he wouldn't have in the top 50 but he only cited like 3-4 guys he'd add. I think Stephanie in particular is a fair inclusion on the list.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Stephanie's only been good for a short time, she was terrible for years. I could see her as top 50 if she keeps being this good, though.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

epitasis posted:

So yeah 16 guys he wouldn't have in the top 50 but he only cited like 3-4 guys he'd add. I think Stephanie in particular is a fair inclusion on the list.

Are you honestly complaining about a guy going "I'd have to sit down and make a list to name a full 50"?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I'm not sure if Stephanie would be in the top 250

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Everyone please make a top 50 list. Or just top ten if you're not cool.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Warrior's appeal was in his body type and insane charisma. People remember his promos a lot more now because of the Ultimate Destruction DVD that made fun of them. His promos became a joke. The cockpit door stuff was mocked for years. His promos were even a liability in WCW and his later WWF career when his body was no longer the public's ideal of the Ultimate Warrior and people were sick of steroid bodies.

How are his promos not part and parcel with his 'insane charisma' though? And his promos were absolutely as memorable prior to 2005 as they were afterwards. My wrestling fandom completely coincided with Warrior's WWF heyday and every kid on the schoolyard that was even remotely interested in wrestling could quote those promos word-for-word. If he had any appeal at all, his promos were part of that package.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Great White Hope posted:

Are you honestly complaining about a guy going "I'd have to sit down and make a list to name a full 50"?

I'd say I'm discussing it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

Stephanie was one of the worst promos in wrestling for years. Why is it weird he only added 3-4 guys? It was a topic Bryan brought up and he even said "I'd need to come up with my own list to really do this."

flashy_mcflash posted:

How are his promos not part and parcel with his 'insane charisma' though? And his promos were absolutely as memorable prior to 2005 as they were afterwards. My wrestling fandom completely coincided with Warrior's WWF heyday and every kid on the schoolyard that was even remotely interested in wrestling could quote those promos word-for-word. If he had any appeal at all, his promos were part of that package.

Even if you assume his promos were part of his appeal and throw out the point of a promo to promote something his time was incredibly limited and his later runs saw his promos turn viewers away. You can't be one of the Top 50 promos in wrestling when wrestling promos have a 60+ year history on TV based on a couple years of insane promos "some kids could quote."

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

You can't be one of the Top 50 promos in wrestling when wrestling promos have a 60+ year history on TV based on a couple years of insane promos "some kids could quote."

Not some. Most.

Dave doesn't seem to have much trouble with Jericho being as high as he is though. And I don't buy for a second that Warrior's promos didn't promote anything. He may not have promoted his matches, but he got himself over regardless of who is opponent was. I mean, we're all going to have a bias towards people we grew up with and Dave is much older and has a reverence for a certain style of promo I suppose, but him even suggesting that a guy like Pillman or Steiner or Warrior shouldn't be in a top 50 ignores a whole category of promos that I'm just never going to agree with him on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not some. Most.

Dave doesn't seem to have much trouble with Jericho being as high as he is though. And I don't buy for a second that Warrior's promos didn't promote anything. He may not have promoted his matches, but he got himself over regardless of who is opponent was. I mean, we're all going to have a bias towards people we grew up with and Dave is much older and has a reverence for a certain style of promo I suppose, but him even suggesting that a guy like Pillman or Steiner or Warrior shouldn't be in a top 50 ignores a whole category of promos that I'm just never going to agree with him on.

Most kids based on your own personal experience. If you want to try and bring in anecdotal evidence fine, but the easiest counter to that is "He didn't attract people to house shows, and wasn't even an overwhelming attraction before WM 6." His promos were nonsensical gibberish. He had an appeal, but it wasn't his promos. It was the look and the rope shaking. When he had to rely on his promos he was god awful, like in WCW.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

epitasis posted:

I think Stephanie in particular is a fair inclusion on the list.

How

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Seth Rollins doesn't have fifty different gimmicks to form this list, so count me out. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Why the gently caress not:
1. Ric Flair
2. Mick Foley
3. Paul Heyman
4. Roddy Piper
5. Bobby Heenan
6. Jim Cornette
7. Jake Roberts
8. Jerry Lawler
9. Steve Austin
10. CM Punk

Punk's probably a bit high if there's any such thing as an 'objective' list, but I enjoy him enough to bump him there. Hon. mentions to Terry Funk, Arn Anderson, Nick Bockwinkel and The Rock.

• Locked thread